Baseball vs South Carolina game 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mize goes the distances.

Squeeze bunt and Mize makes throw to first for out 3.

Beautiful!!

Smart play to go to first on the squeeze and not fall to the temptation of a tag play. 

Gutty play by the USC coach....nice bunt but good defensive play to get the runner at first...very close.  AU had the infield in to prevent the run and it worked out as planned.

Great win....a real struggle the last 3 innings

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs South Carolina game 1
17 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

PBR ?? WDE Golf " The Auburn Tigers stay on top of the SEC West"  - RB

Who'd seen that coming?

What an environment in Plainsman Park tonight!  Besides Mize's stuff being absolutely filthy outside of one inning, there were a highlight reel of plays made with the leather.  What a start for this team.  I gave them a bit of grief early in the season, but Ill gladly take my crow.  Looking forward to this board continuing its great support of our ladies, but I hope to see the BASEBALL part of the Baseball and Softball Forum become a little more lively.  These guys are fun to watch!  WDE

Great game tonight. Had my dad, my daughter and two of her friends, my neighbor and his wife with young baby all at the game. Great time. Mize mowing down the first 5 with K's was awesome. Packed house was even better. 

I know the players appreciated it. 

I think we can take USCe. They may be 6th but if you look at the schedule they have really only played Clemson and lost 2 of those. 

War Eagle fella's see ya tomorrow. 

Just heard they recognized the '67 team that went to Omaha. My father-in-law was on that team and was there tonight. Just like the Colonel to not tell anyone. We would have been there. Anyone go to the game and see this?

I'm impressed with these guys.  Thompson is supposed to put good pitchers out there and seems he is.  

But im most impressed with the defense.  Getting good D plays all over the field.  Anthony is really impressive at 3rd

Really refreshing to see Anthony crank a big double to the wall last night. That's the first hit I can remember seeing him be patient and hit it on the sweet spot. Looking forward to seeing if he starts doing this more

Not a bad night when your Ace is on the shelf and your number 2 steps up to throw a 12 K complete game. Against a quality team like South Carolina.

35 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Not a bad night when your Ace is on the shelf and your number 2 steps up to throw a 12 K complete game. Against a quality team like South Carolina.

I'm gonna be on a steady diet of crow this week....baseball is doing much better than I expected this season though I thought our pitching prospects were good with Mize, Thompson and Lipscomb....otherwise, before the season started, it was hard to see that AU would be able to score enough runs to do the job.       I've been a Mize fan since last season...felt good about his prospects.

What has been a very happy surprise to me is the timely hitting this season that we lacked last year.  Guess Coach Sisson should get the credit for that improvement...or at least for the development of the incoming players.  Still don't have much power but enough to get guys home from second with one hit now and it appears that we are not leaving as many guys on base as last season.    At #6, the Gamecocks were probably a bit over-rated but nonetheless, that was an excellent win.

13 hours ago, MDM4AU said:

Just heard they recognized the '67 team that went to Omaha. My father-in-law was on that team and was there tonight. Just like the Colonel to not tell anyone. We would have been there. Anyone go to the game and see this?

abcabcabcabcabc

Yeah they did. I also want to say the 97 team also. I missed some of the announcements getting snacks. They had a huge group on the field and were doing names alphabetically. I did hear Hal Beard and Gabe Gross called out.  Sorry to hear your father in law was there and did not get to participate. He should of yell at them and called them dirt bums and throw peanuts. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm gonna be on a steady diet of crow this week....baseball is doing much better than I expected this season though I thought our pitching prospects were good with Mize, Thompson and Lipscomb....otherwise, before the season started, it was hard to see that AU would be able to score enough runs to do the job.       I've been a Mize fan since last season...felt good about his prospects.

What has been a very happy surprise to me is the timely hitting this season that we lacked last year.  Guess Coach Sisson should get the credit for that improvement...or at least for the development of the incoming players.  Still don't have much power but enough to get guys home from second with one hit now and it appears that we are not leaving as many guys on base as last season.    At #6, the Gamecocks were probably a bit over-rated but nonetheless, that was an excellent win.

I have noticed this too, so I went and looked at the season stats.   So far this year through 28 games, Auburn has left 220 runners on base.  A 7.86 average per game.   Last season through  56 games, Auburn left 490 runners on base.  That's an average of 8.75 per game.  So appears to be down a little.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't want to jump the gun, but that's what we said about Florida and look what they've done this year thus far:

beat Miami, beat Florida State, win the series against LSU, and beat Mizzouri in the first game of that series. South Car was impressive coming in. I don't doubt they could be a top 10 team. Again, I don't want to jump the gun, but we might just be a dang good ball club.

13 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I have noticed this too, so I went and looked at the season stats.   So far this year through 28 games, Auburn has left 220 runners on base.  A 7.86 average per game.   Last season through  56 games, Auburn left 490 runners on base.  That's an average of 8.75 per game.  So appears to be down a little.

Guess it might matter how those LOBs affect the outcome of a game....recall a few games early in the season where we lost by a run or two and left nearly a dozen guys on base.   Last year I guess the LOBs had a bigger effect than we've seen thus far....last year we lost more than a dozen games by 1 or 2 runs....and it was painful to see the LOB stats afterward......knowing we had some chances to change the outcome.   

Having much better success winning the close games this year though the Samford and Libscomb games broke my heart.

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Yeah they did. I also want to say the 97 team also. I missed some of the announcements getting snacks. They had a huge group on the field and were doing names alphabetically. I did hear Hal Beard and Gabe Gross called out.  Sorry to hear your father in law was there and did not get to participate. He should of yell at them and called them dirt bums and throw peanuts. 

Oh, he was there. Just chose not to tell his kids! LOL!

Archived