2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE, @austudnt23, @augolf1716, @ellitor

Is there any chance JF commits before the season?

On one hand, I'm sure he wants to make sure he means it this time. So waiting to make sure makes sense  

On the other hand, an earlier commitment can help impact the class with some very positive momentum. 

As WDE and E said I don't believe he will commit publicly before the season atm. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Anybody know what would more likely be done at the visit? Activities with players? Sit-down with Chip?

C. Both since it's a 2 day visit.. Also most people don't realize this including sources from others teams but Chip has the longest relationship with Fields than any other coach in the battle because of his contacts in Georgia & recruiting JF since the 9th grade.

21 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

As WDE and E said I don't believe he will commit publicly before the season atm. 

And history has shown private commits are a crapshoot on whether they stick or not.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

And history has shown private commits are a crapshoot on whether they stick or not.

Correct. I feel much better about a private when bama is not involved though. 

My my..........................

In the latest update of its Class of 2018 recruiting rankings, 247Sports revealed Monday that it has moved the Kennesaw, Ga., quarterback into the top spot.

247Sports’ Barton Simmons explained the decision to move Lawrence, a Clemson commit who had been the consensus No. 1 overall player for his work at Cartersville High (Ga.), off the top spot.

Is it right that Fields, after a camp performance — a camp season — with no pads and no real football snaps, overtake a quarterback in Trevor Lawrence with 10,000 career passing yards, two state championships and one career loss as a starter? Lawrence is 6-foot-6 with a huge arm, all of the physical tools and is the most accomplished active high school quarterback in the country. And now he’s lost the pole position after a camp circuit?

Yes. Here is why.

Fields looked like the best player in the country this spring and summer. He certainly looked like the best quarterback. In fact, it wasn’t close. That’s not a commentary on the other quarterbacks. We actually think this is a strong crop of arms. It’s a commentary on Fields. He’s just that good.

Fields really turned heads during his recent appearance at The Opening in Oregon, where the 5-star QB earned the Elite 11 MVP.

He’s coveted by several SEC programs, including Georgia, Florida and Auburn.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

My my..........................

In the latest update of its Class of 2018 recruiting rankings, 247Sports revealed Monday that it has moved the Kennesaw, Ga., quarterback into the top spot.

247Sports’ Barton Simmons explained the decision to move Lawrence, a Clemson commit who had been the consensus No. 1 overall player for his work at Cartersville High (Ga.), off the top spot.

Is it right that Fields, after a camp performance — a camp season — with no pads and no real football snaps, overtake a quarterback in Trevor Lawrence with 10,000 career passing yards, two state championships and one career loss as a starter? Lawrence is 6-foot-6 with a huge arm, all of the physical tools and is the most accomplished active high school quarterback in the country. And now he’s lost the pole position after a camp circuit?

Yes. Here is why.

Fields looked like the best player in the country this spring and summer. He certainly looked like the best quarterback. In fact, it wasn’t close. That’s not a commentary on the other quarterbacks. We actually think this is a strong crop of arms. It’s a commentary on Fields. He’s just that good.

Fields really turned heads during his recent appearance at The Opening in Oregon, where the 5-star QB earned the Elite 11 MVP.

He’s coveted by several SEC programs, including Georgia, Florida and Auburn.

Called it 

I want Fields badly but I respectfully disagree with Barton Simmons. I don't think should pass Lawrence in the rankings til he has a season where he actually plays better than TL in pads. FWIW UGA 247 reporter Rusty Mansell has seen them both a lot the past couple years & he agrees with me.

Have we ever gotten the number one recruit in the nation?

56 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Byron Cowart.

And that was only on Rivals & ESPN. Justin still has work to do to be the composite #1 player.

Would it be a bad thing if I would be willing to trade one of my kids for J Fields?  I want JF also.    Glad my wife isn't on this forum.      JK

39 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Would it be a bad thing if I would be willing to trade one of my kids for J Fields?  I want JF also.    Glad my wife isn't on this forum.      JK

Well, there's always that one kid who gets on your nerves just a little bit more than the rest of them... ;)

(btw, I'm a father of four, so I know of which I speak. ;))

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

I want Fields badly but I respectfully disagree with Barton Simmons. I don't think should pass Lawrence in the rankings til he has a season where he actually plays better than TL in pads. FWIW UGA 247 reporter Rusty Mansell has seen them both a lot the past couple years & he agrees with me.

Have to keep giving subscribers something to read and talk about. I'm always loling at 247 and Rivals putting so much of the rating on kid with the 7 vs 7 and camps like the opening.  

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't know...what is the difference in the talent playing around them as compared to their opposition? The camp circuits can, at least sometimes, do a better job of individual talent identification than leaving it all to what is played out on the fields; after all, there's a reason NFL teams include individual workouts and Combine production in their evaluations of college players.

Again, I don't know if Fields should leapfrog Lawrence or not, but his performance in camps does give reasonable justification for such.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have to keep giving subscribers something to read and talk about. I'm always loling at 247 and Rivals putting so much of the rating on kid with the 7 vs 7 and camps like the opening.  

Did you also lol at Tommy Tuberville for putting so much emphasis upon player performance at his own camps?

Just now, Rednilla said:

Did you also lol at Tommy Tuberville for putting so much emphasis upon player performance at his own camps?

Coaches camps are different. Tubs was looking for specific things with his recruits. I'm talking about the camps and 7 on 7 's that Rivals and 247 run. Barton Simmons? 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Coaches camps are different. Tubs was looking for specific things with his recruits. I'm talking about the camps and 7 on 7 's that Rivals and 247 run. Barton Simmons? 

And talent evaluations can't be based on looking for specific things by non-coaches? Again, I don't know if Fields should jump ahead of Lawrence or not, but why have these big time camps at all if they aren't going to influence the evaluations made?

Just now, Rednilla said:

And talent evaluations can't be based on looking for specific things by non-coaches? Again, I don't know if Fields should jump ahead of Lawrence or not, but why have these big time camps at all if they aren't going to influence the evaluations made?

Money. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Money. 

And how do you get money out of the camp performances if the evaluations do not change? You opined that this was all much to do with keeping subscribers happy, and perhaps that is true, but don't there have to be shake ups in the rankings in order to keep subscribers happy?

16 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

WDE answered that. Recruiting has become big business in itself completely separate of college teams, their coaches, & their evals.

16 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

And how do you get money out of the camp performances if the evaluations do not change?

Most of them do charge though for the regional camps at the very minimum. Plus they make tons off sponsorship & exposure.

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

don't there have to be shake ups in the rankings in order to keep subscribers happy?

I think this belief is an overblown myth. As long as there is solid coverage from team sites I think most subscribers will continue subscribing regardless of shake ups or their team having a "down year" rankings wise.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Most of them do charge though for the regional camps at the very minimum. Plus they make tons off sponsorship & exposure.

Ah, now this I was unaware of. I still think, however, that if you are to hold camps for such recruits, even if the purpose is nothing more than making money, then those camps should hold bearing in the talent evaluations made. If Fields does not at least play up to the same level as Lawrence does on the field this fall, they can always drop him back in the rankings afterward.

Archived