2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Ah, now this I was unaware of. I still think, however, that if you are to hold camps for such recruits, even if the purpose is nothing more than making money, then those camps should hold bearing in the talent evaluations made. If Fields does not at least play up to the same level as Lawrence does on the field this fall, they can always drop him back in the rankings afterward.

Agree but camps should rarely have more of an impact in ranking which is what happened here. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know...what is the difference in the talent playing around them as compared to their opposition? The camp circuits can, at least sometimes, do a better job of individual talent identification than leaving it all to what is played out on the fields; after all, there's a reason NFL teams include individual workouts and Combine production in their evaluations of college players.

Again, I don't know if Fields should leapfrog Lawrence or not, but his performance in camps does give reasonable justification for such.

Fields plays for Harrison HS. Harrison is a very good football school. They play against good talent. Cartersville HS is where Lawrence plays. Cartersville plays in a smaller classification. Their opponents are not at the same level as the teams Harrison is playing. 

An interesting thing this fall is that Cartersville is playing against Bartram Trail HS on August 26th. This is the HS Joey Gatewood plays for.  

10 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Fields plays for Harrison HS. Harrison is a very good football school. They play against good talent. Cartersville HS is where Lawrence plays. Cartersville plays in a smaller classification. Their opponents are not at the same level as the teams Harrison is playing. 

And that, to me, potentially suggests another reason to move Fields above Lawrence in the ratings: the success at a higher level of competition. Thus, when putting the two in a camp setting, it evens the playing field (no pun intended), and provides cause for Lawrence to be moved down in the ratings, since he performed poorly in comparison to JF. But that's just my opinion. And at the end of the day, that's all recruiting sites are, anyway--opinions about teenagers and their potential at the next level.

Most of these top players dominate the competition during the regular season so it's nice to see how they stack up against others who are just as big, fast and athletic. Camps provide that type of environment.

39 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I don't know how to delete my post.

@Beaker Under any of your posts click "Options",  then "Delete", then "OK".

52 minutes ago, fredst said:

Me likey

Yeah but it may not have anything to do with Fields. We are at 7 commits now & predicted we would be in double digits before August. He made that prediction before this week's visits were known.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah but it may not have anything to do with Fields. We are at 7 commits now & predicted we would be in double digits before August. He made that prediction before this week's visits were known.

I imagine that our commits have a group message and they add each new commit silent or public 

Guess we got the answer.  Welcome Mr. Monday.

Let's go ahead and add Fields, Jackson, and Hill this week also. :bananadance:

7 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Guess we got the first answer.  Welcome Mr. Monday.

FIFY. There's more to come.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FIFY. There's more to come.

I like the sound of that. 

With Monday's commitment yesterday, it makes Fields visit this week even more interesting. 

So the SECCountry tweeted me an hour ago saying Fields & company are visiting tomorrow & not today as he wrote in his Smoke commitment article.

How QB Justin Fields went from unranked to ESPN 300 No. 1

8:00 AM CT

Tom VanHaaren ESPN Staff Writer

Quarterback Justin Fields has experienced a meteoric rise from a potential football recruit hoping for his first offer to the No. 1 prospect in the newly updated ESPN 300. He has a commitment and a decommitment under his belt, and has gradually generated interest from major programs. Now, all the attention is on him.

Here's a look at how Fields got to this point in his recruitment, and what took place along the way.

April, 2016: Fields, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound unranked QB in the ESPN Junior 300, is unsure if schools are noticing his talent. While he has only finished his sophomore season, many prospects are already seeing offers roll in.

"I remember in April, he was talking to his speed and agility coach, and he was stressed about not having any offers," said Fields' mom, Gina Tobey. "Then his coach was like, don't worry about it, it'll come and sure enough North Carolina was the first to offer. His coach said when one comes, the floodgates will open and that's what happened."

May 5, 2016: Fields receives his first offer from North Carolina.

June, 2016: Fields receives offers from nine schools. As a testament to his academics as well as his athletics, Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Harvard are among the schools that offer him scholarships.

"Harvard was one of the first offers that [Fields] had," Tobey said. "I wanted him to go to Harvard, but he said, 'Mom that's not enough football for me,' so I said, ok what about Duke? That still wasn't enough football for him."

July 17, 2016: Penn State holds a summer camp, which Fields attends. After seeing him in person, the staff makes Fields an offer the very same day.

September, 2016: Other big programs take interest in Fields. Arizona, Indiana, Louisville, Missouri, Nebraska, Ole Miss, South Carolina and TCU all throw offers on the table. Fields also travels to Penn State in September, marking his second visit to campus.

November, 2016: The Nittany Lions get another unofficial visit. Fields, who hails from Kennesaw, Georgia, also pays his in-state team in Athens a visit. The Bulldogs offer Fields shortly after the visit.

December 1, 2016: Fields commits to Penn State.

"He was feeling a little pressure to commit," Tobey said. "If someone commits before me and I don't have that opportunity anymore, then I don't have that choice anymore. It was no pressure from the coaches, just his position.

"At the point he committed to Penn State, he might have had 20 something offers. At that point, Penn State had great academics and football tradition, so that was the happy medium for us."

December 12: The ESPN Junior 300 rankings are updated with Fields at No. 8 overall.

February, 2017: Alabama, Oregon and Florida all offer Fields.

April, 2017: Florida State receives a visit from Fields, and the Seminoles extend an offer shortly.

"Schools kept coming and his stock kept rising," Tobey said. "Then he was second-guessing his choice. That was what we were afraid of in the beginning, but [prospects] feel so much pressure."

April 20, 2017: Updated ESPN 300 rankings are released. Fields is now a five-star and No. 4 overall.

June 6, 2017: Fields decommits from Penn State.

"The reason I decommitted was to make sure that Penn State was the best fit for me," Fields said. "Calling Coach (James) Franklin and the staff was probably the hardest phone call I've ever had to make, but I feel like it was the best decision for me and my family."

June, 2017: Now that he's decommitted, Fields pays visits to Georgia, Auburn and Florida State on consecutive days from June 12-14. He then stops by Florida on June 20. Finally, he and his family visit Alabama at the end of June -- a trip that coincides with his sister's softball schedule.

This was a big month for Fields; the five-star QB decommitted from the Nittany Lions, took four unofficial visits and added an offer from USC on June 25.

July 13, 2017: The ESPN 300 rankings are updated, and Fields moves up to No. 1 overall. Former USC quarterback Matt Barkley is the only QB other than Fields to ever claim the No. 1 spot in ESPN's rankings, so the Georgia native is joining rare company.

Fields will visit Auburn this weekend and make another trip to Georgia shortly thereafter. His sister, Jaiden, is committed to play softball for the Bulldogs.

I didn't realize that he had the uga offer before he committed to PSU. That's interesting. 

Also, can I just say that "Kir-B-Q" is the cheesiest name for a recruiting event I have ever heard. 

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I didn't realize that he had the uga offer before he committed to PSU. That's interesting. 

Wasn't committable then.

9 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Also, can I just say that "Kir-B-Q" is the cheesiest name for a recruiting event I have ever heard. 

Considering its the Dawgs it should be. Cur B Q

Surprise, surprise the man with the cheesiest haircut of all time gives their recruiting weekend a cheesy name. Kirbowlcut Smart

I thought it was just fan name for event, not the official name? I could be wrong!

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

I thought it was just fan name for event, not the official name? I could be wrong!

According to the dawg nation reporter on radio yesterday this is the name the fans decided.

Archived