SEC Softball Tournament

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Intellicast says 70-90% chance of thunderstorms in Knoxville today,peaking between 4 and 6. If we get this one in today, it probably runs late, maybe with a weather delay.

I don't see our game getting in today TBH.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Which allows LSU to pitch whomever. 

31 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Which allows LSU to pitch whomever. 

Wally on rest but it would allow us to pitch Carlson too. Carlson is 2-0 versus the corndogs this year.

Swindle started the third game of the series in Tuskaloser. While I think it's likely that Martin starts our next game, one can't just shrug off the possibility that Swindle starts one in this tournament. Nobody was suspended, nobody was injured, Coach Myers just decided to start Swindle against UAT. He could do that again.

Swindle is no slouch and there is no "book" on her. Might be worth a chance to start her and see how she does. Can always have a quick hook. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Swindle is no slouch and there is no "book" on her. Might be worth a chance to start her and see how she does. Can always have a quick hook. 

LSU lit Swindle up in game 2 after Martin was pulled. If we win the semi final (no matter what day it is played), I think it is safe to assume Carlson and Martin will get one start each. The order of the 2 is anyone’s guess.  

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Wally on rest but it would allow us to pitch Carlson too. Carlson is 2-0 versus the corndogs this year.

Would we pitch her though or save her for SECCG?  I hope the CG is moved to Sunday if this gets postponed, especially if the first game gets completed.  It would be a disadvantage to the winner of AU/LSU to play a DH, being the lower seeded game gets a longer rest.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Game 1 b/t the turds and ole piss is running and hour and a half late as it stands after barely getting it going, so you are probably right.  They might not play either one today..

Nothing on the tube yet....looking like a rain out for both games? Looked at radar and huge weather front passing over Knoxville and some smaller stuff following behind but maybe or maybe not enough to cancel the day....

39 minutes ago, all4AU said:

LSU lit Swindle up in game 2 after Martin was pulled. If we win the semi final (no matter what day it is played), I think it is safe to assume Carlson and Martin will get one start each. The order of the 2 is anyone’s guess.  

It will likely be Carlson then Mac now that Kaylee had a day's rest & Mac was lit up the last time she faced LSU. Plus Mac pitched great in the CWS Championship game to feel good about doing should we get to the final.

FWIW pitcher ERA this season versus potential opponents

LSU

Carlson: 14 innings, 3.00 ERA
Mac: 4 innings, 7.00 ERA
Swindle: 2 innings, 10.50 era

Bama

Carlson: 9 innings, 0.00 ERA
Mac: 9.3 innings, 0.75 ERA
Swindle: 2.67 innings, 7.87 ERA

Rebs

Carlson 14 innings, 0.50 ERA
Mac: 2.3 innings, 21.00 ERA
Swindle: 3.67 innings, 5.73 ERA

If it were me I would pitch Carlson versus LSU since she will be rested and has the most success versus LSU. If we get to the final then I would throw Mac since she has a lot of confidence & success going against Bama and bet the Rebs can't have similar success they had against Mac earlier in the season.

51 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Both games postponed until tomorrow and will be played before the championship game. 

Glad it is both games moved.  Still wish they would move the CG on Sunday, but I am sure they are under time crunch for the selections on Sunday.

So how many DH's have we played this year?  and what is our record in those DH's. Has fatigue ever been any thing close to being a factor for game #2?

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Glad it is both games moved.  Still wish they would move the CG on Sunday, but I am sure they are under time crunch for the selections on Sunday.

What I don't understand is why they didn't move the games up today. The weather was fine all morning. My only guess is they were afraid they couldn't get both in. I sure wish they would've tried to get them in early though. 

24 minutes ago, boomstick said:

What I don't understand is why they didn't move the games up today. The weather was fine all morning. My only guess is they were afraid they couldn't get both in. I sure wish they would've tried to get them in early though. 

TV obligations. ESPN/SEC Network wanted to keep the games at advertized times if it were today. Also from a knoxville stand point they didn't want to have the games in the early part of the work day reducing the number of fans that could attend

2 hours ago, all4AU said:

Lit up is a MAJOR stretch.  The 2 innings that Swindle pitched she had:

5th inning: a grounder to short, strike out looking, grounder back to the pitcher.

6th inning:  BUNT single, fly out to left, double to left center, home run, pop up to 1st.   Fly out to left. 

She allowed a total of 3 hits in the 2 innings of work.  One of them just happened to be a home run with 2 on.  She also threw 24 strikes on 36 pitches.  

We were already trailing 5-0 at the time Swindle came in and had 3 hits with the last one in the 4th inning. 

40 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So how many DH's have we played this year?

40 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

and what is our record in those DH's

14-2 but only 5 of those games had quality opponents: OU-U-Dub, LSU 2 times, James Madison on the back end of a DH with a cupcake game 1 opponent. We are 3-2 against those quality teams splitting the 1st 2 DHs.

43 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Has fatigue ever been any thing close to being a factor for game #2?

Not really.

What is the game on? 

Edit: I see this one is over now.  Awesome.  Ole miss is a tough out right now, but their pitcher may be used up by tonight's game.  Let's get past LSU and find out. 

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

What is the game on? 

Edit: I see this one is over now.  Awesome.  Ole miss is a tough out right now, but their pitcher may be used up by tonight's game.  Let's get past LSU and find out. 

uat didn't get to her until the sixth and I don't think she threw more than 120 pitches. She will be at or near 100% for the championship game. 

The game was on SEC, and Rebels just won it 4-1.  uat got two on in bot 7, but didn't score.  Caitlin Lee has thrown every pitch of the tournament for Ole Miss.  She has walked one batter in three games; leadoff batter in bot 7 today.  Smith has done a helluva job at Ole Miss, regardless of what happens in the finals.  Wondering if Ole Miss might have taken bama's hosting spot in the NCAAs.  BTW, Littlejohn pitched for uat, and Moore relieved at some point.  I didn't really watch the game.

46 minutes ago, jared52 said:

uat didn't get to her until the sixth and I don't think she threw more than 120 pitches. She will be at or near 100% for the championship game. 

I am thinking due to her pitching all 3 games for them so far.  Either way have to get to them first. 

Archived