2017 Auburn Soccer

aucanucktiger

AU taking on Arky tonight and Arky gets an early goal on a corner that was misplayed by LeBeau. First real mistake I have seen her make this year. 

1-0 Arky 38’ to go 1st

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is usually a worst case scenario for AU. The attack hasn’t been good this year and when teams can sit back and defend for long periods with an early lead, AU tends to run out of gas trying long runs and long balls. Hope they can find a way to break through sooner rather than later or they will wear out with their lack of quality depth. 

Didn’t see that one. Just got to my daughters soccer practice and turned the game on the iPad. Gonna flip over to the NC State/Louisville game. 

Well it just was not our night. Final 2-0 sows. Tigers were not very crisp passing, did not win as many headers, and had several errant kicks just go out of bounds. All shots on goal were outside the box and high, except one was just above the bar. I don't think the sows were a better team, they just played a crisper game than is. We are now 2-1-2 in the SEC. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well it just was not our night. Final 2-0 sows. Tigers were not very crisp passing, did not win as many headers, and had several errant kicks just go out of bounds. All shots on goal were outside the box and high, except one was just above the bar. I don't think the sows were a better team, they just played a crisper game than is. We are now 2-1-2 in the SEC. 

Last few matches the offense has put no pressure at all on the opponents.   Playing a "half court game" or something...just nothing happening at the opponent's goal.

Potpourri of soccer tomorrow (Tues) night - AU vs Bama in West Vance @ 7pm ET, then the remote control ballet an hour later to also catch parts of the USA men hopefully clinching an eighth consecutive World Cup (only 6 nations have a longer streak). 

Well, AU did their thing. Beat uat 4-2 behind 2 Dodson goals. I didn’t get to watch but with Eli Gold doing the TV broadcast, I would have been hard to. 

The USMNT... I mean... just... 

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I watch them on SECNetwork+ on my Roku.

My ROKU quit rockin' so good after Elvis died! :) Thanks for the answer. I do get SEC network but that's it. On rare occasion there will be something on the SEC Alternate channel, but not last night.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:57 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Our goalie played a great game.  A lot on nice saves.

LeBeau has to be one of the top keepers in women's NCAA soccer. She is rarely caught out and makes saves some only hope to get a hand on. She has been critical this year with the loss of Kiana Clarke to graduation. Clarke made LeBeau look good last year. This year LeBeau has been stellar in spite of the less than stellar defense.

For instance, watch LeBeau's save at 0:25 of the above video when she is one-on-one with the forward (you can set the video to play slow motion by clicking the cog at the bottom right and selecting speed). She is active and comes out to cut down the angle of the shot. Then watch Dotson's goal at 0:34. The UF keeper stays back and Dodson is able to put it past her. LeBeau just really understands the position and is lighting quick too.

AU took on Ole Miss in Oxford last night and came away with a 2-2 draw. It seemed like an AU win with 0:20 to go in OT but AU was called offside on a VERY close play. No good angle on TV to be sure but the angle we did have showed it was crazy close. Worst part is if she’d  been a foot back, it wouldn’t have prevented her from scoring. It was a beautiful early cross that found the head of Schell (I think) right at the far post and got past the keeper.

still good to get a point on the road.

Well on a beautiful night on the plains, Senior Night to be precise, the girls took on lsu. After 90 minutes 0-0. After 1st over time, still 0-0 and after the second overtime 0-0. 

The ladies could not buy a goal tonight, some like 30 shots on goal to lsu's 9 I think.

The closest was #13 Senior Elli Leak off the cross bar with about 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half of regulation.

Tigers move into a 3 way tie with UT and Vandy. Currently have the #6 seed for the SEC tournament starting next week.IMG_1709.PNG

IMG_1713.PNG

That was a tough one. AU had plenty of chances. A lot didn't even end up as a shot on goal. This group has a shot to make some noise in the tournament next week. There should be a lot of fun matches to watch too. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

That was a tough one. AU had plenty of chances. A lot didn't even end up as a shot on goal. This group has a shot to make some noise in the tournament next week. There should be a lot of fun matches to watch too. 

I'm not a big soccer fan but I have a rooting interest on behalf of one of the players so try to keep up with her. She's mid field so mostly involved in defense or setting up plays but frankly, there does not seem to be an offensive game plan except to hope that Dodson can break away for a shot. 

As noted, AU took a ton of shots but only one or two of them had any kind of possibility of scoring....most were way off target.and the LSU goalie had a pretty easy night in my view.

But the tournament is what counts and looks like AU will get a bye which is important.

Leek seems to be the most creative player.  some of the newcomers seem to have a little flair.  no doubt dodson is talented.  i have not watched near as much as last year.  my impression the last 2 years was win with solid keeping, stellar defense and a very direct, athletic, american style of offense.  to me, it seems like we are trying to play with a little more intricate play this year but just aren't quite there yet.  

i think the college game would benefit from a slightly more stringent substitution rules.  it would require less rest and therefore a more controlled style of play that would benefit more technical teams in the second half.  I dont have a clue what the "more stringent" rules should be but would be interested in the thoughts of others. 

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Leek seems to be the most creative player.  some of the newcomers seem to have a little flair.  no doubt dodson is talented.  i have not watched near as much as last year.  my impression the last 2 years was win with solid keeping, stellar defense and a very direct, athletic, american style of offense.  to me, it seems like we are trying to play with a little more intricate play this year but just aren't quite there yet.  

i think the college game would benefit from a slightly more stringent substitution rules.  it would require less rest and therefore a more controlled style of play that would benefit more technical teams in the second half.  I dont have a clue what the "more stringent" rules should be but would be interested in the thoughts of others. 

Seems that more liberal substitution might juice up the game....most AU players go the distance and since they are running upwards of 9+ miles in a game, they have to pace themselves a bit.   Mostly what I observe is bursts of offensive effort which is followed by periods of defensive effort for a while...and then another rush toward the goal.  The game does not seem to flow.....just a series of "plays" with interludes of .....nothing? 

On 10/23/2017 at 10:10 AM, AU64 said:

I'm not a big soccer fan but I have a rooting interest on behalf of one of the players so try to keep up with her. She's mid field so mostly involved in defense or setting up plays but frankly, there does not seem to be an offensive game plan except to hope that Dodson can break away for a shot. 

As noted, AU took a ton of shots but only one or two of them had any kind of possibility of scoring....most were way off target.and the LSU goalie had a pretty easy night in my view.

But the tournament is what counts and looks like AU will get a bye which is important.

You would be correct on the number of shots vs the actual number of shots taken. I do not know what "criteria" is to be counted as a shot, but it seems fairly liberal.

There were several times that if they had pressed hard they could have caught the lsu defense in bad positions, but they either just settled for a shot from outside the box or got to cute inside the box with passing instead of just being aggressive. 

I have watched several games this year and I don't know what style it is but mid field ball control is definitely their cup of tea. 

But hey I have enjoyed the games and surprising the stadium has been rather full for most of them. Can't complain about a free night of live entertainment.

Think of our style as similar to 1974 Germany or current Uruguay. ;D Seriously, our current roster is ideal for dictating game tempo which IMHO is gold in tournaments (it's a perfect style for upsetting top teams). Now if our goal karma would just turn around...

Archived