111 yards of total offense.

WarDamnEagleWDE

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

True but that really helped protection. Not trying to be a smart ass coach but wouldn't he be a good target in the endzone

Nothing works if the blocking isn't there.  Plain and simple we got our tails handed to us at the LOS on offense.  Same goes for Clemson they just hit 2 deep jump balls and a miss tackle on the QB ball D. Davis.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

It really helped a lot.

I guess you do what you can do....started to say that it could have been worse....but then again...maybe not? 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Nothing works if the blocking isn't there.  Plain and simple we got our tails handed to us at the LOS on offense.  Same goes for Clemson they just hit 2 deep jump balls and a miss tackle on the QB ball D. Davis.  

Glad someone else pointed that out....well, from AU side ....because my Clemson friends noted it and are concerned by it ....but had the benefit of winning the game so aren't quite as panicked as AU fans.

20 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

His thread is tame compared to Bird's. Did you bust Bird's chops too? Just curious. 

What's wrong with my thread? :dunno:

This loss was a lot more than bad blocking by the OL. 

Even the announcers called out Gus' scheming when we send out three double covered receivers on 3rd and 20 at midfield very late in the game. 

4th and short. Their pass rush has been absolutely murdering us, and we run four deep routes. The qb is under duress literally within a second and a half due to a blitz. We get sacked. 

Our pass scheming was pathetic. Our routes looked eerily similar to last year. If gus and/or lindsey don't get their head out of their rear, we'll lose more than 4. 

Just now, bigbird said:

Whata wrong with my thread? :dunno:

Nothing at all, I loved it. I was just curious why the double standard by corch for venting threads. He gave an answer, I was like "mmmmmmmkay", he was like "ok".  I think we moved on. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

This loss was a lot more than bad blocking by the OL. 

Even the announcers called out Gus' scheming when we send out three double covered receivers on 3rd and 20 at midfield very late in the game. 

4th and short. Their pass rush has been absolutely murdering us, and we run four deep routes. The qb is under duress literally within a second and a half due to a blitz. We get sacked. 

Our pass scheming was pathetic. Our routes looked eerily similar to last year. If gus and/or lindsey don't get their head out of their rear, we'll lose more than 4. 

You're preaching to the choir my friend.  Well, most of the choir anyway.  There are some holdouts who would rather be an 8 win team every year and stay uga's and bama's bit$% than try to win like Clemson is winning.  

@bigbird was it just me or the double coverage in the middle of the field on our WRs... that the safeties seemed to be holding to the field side?  Like holding onto our players.  We only got a few shots from behind the QB to see down field

Just now, corchjay said:

@bigbird was it just me or the double coverage in the middle of the field on our WRs... that the safeties seemed to be holding to the field side?  Like holding onto our players.  We only got a few shots from behind the QB to see down field

Not sure but I know a friend of mine who was at the game said our receivers were doing a poor job of getting open or there DB's were just really good at blanketing them.  It helps that our routes are so obvious. 

If you can't block at the LOS and run, you can't block DBs on WR screens.  You throw the RPO and it bounces off the guys hands.  You throw the deep ball in single coverage and bounces off the WRs helmet.  You throw the underneath and Davis/Hastings both try to make moves instead of just getting up field and only gain 3 yards.  

What are you supposed to call as an OC?

I've been saying all year well since summer this team has to be physical and we werent physical on OL WR and CB and they were.  That's the difference in the game.  Place blame where ever you want.  

Clemson 2016- 262 total yds offense

Bama 2016- 182 yds total offense

UGA 2016- 164 yds total offense

Clemson 2017- 117 yds total offense (83 or so in the 1st qtr).

Gus is no offensive genius. He should buy all available copies of his book and burn them.

20 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

If gus and/or lindsey don't get their head out of their rear, we'll lose more than 4. 

you can bet both of your buttcheeks that we will lose more than 4 games.    don't even care anymore

47 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It was hard to tell because the camera was on Stidham being sacked most of the time. What I did see, was them playing some bump and run with the corners and bracketing them very tightly with the safety. Basically, 4 or 5 covering 2 or 3.  As another said somewhere in another thread. All of our routes were to beat zone coverages and clemson was running man mostly, if not all of, the night.

We didn't run any slants, hitches, quick outs, post-corner, arrows, rubs, Chinas, smash, and very few crosses. At one point they dropped their corners to 10-12 all we needed to do is turn and throw and they get at least 7.

The offensive scheme is what defeated us. Yes, the line aided in the debacle, but we didn't adjust in any way to what their defense was doing. You can overcome bad protection with good play calling and adjustments. We had neither.

I would love for stat to put together total yardage and points per game for Gus's offense vs power 5 teams w winning records. With and without Marshall and Cam. I think our heads would explode. 

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If you can't block at the LOS and run, you can't block DBs on WR screens.  You throw the RPO and it bounces off the guys hands.  You throw the deep ball in single coverage and bounces off the WRs helmet.  You throw the underneath and Davis/Hastings both try to make moves instead of just getting up field and only gain 3 yards.  

What are you supposed to call as an OC?

Last year when rhett was calling plays we ran some 5 receiver sets if I'm not mistaken. Spread the dang field and get someone open, and have some quick drops where you instantly throw or throw it away. It's not like we didn't know they would have a moster pass rush. Buuble screens should be an occassional short yardage throw and they tend to be less successful against really fast defenses. Back shoulder throws? Hello. The defender was getting in front of KD and others to impede them because everyone in the stadium knew when he was going long. The back shoulder would have eaten them alive. Is stidham incapable of making that tbrow?

Some short routes mixed in with the long ones on short yardage situations would be good. 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The offensive scheme is what defeated us. Yes, the line aided in the debacle, but we didn't adjust in any way to what their defense was doing. You can overcome bad protection with good play calling and adjustments. We had neither.

I thought everyone liked the Baylor offense.  We are running it.  We just aren't as good at it as they were.  But I agree there were no timing routes.

13 hours ago, doverstutts said:

WDE, what I mean is that Malzahn has killed any passion that I have for the game of college football at AU.    It no longer matters

Can't argue there. It's been a minute since Auburn was relevant other than preseason hype. 

26 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I've been saying all year well since summer this team has to be physical and we werent physical on OL WR and CB and they were.  That's the difference in the game.  Place blame where ever you want.  

There was a point near the end of the game in the 4th quarter and not too much time left but still a little I think... I think we had just got sacked and went three n out again and the Camera panned over to the side lines and as the announcers were talking about our O line...  I swear I saw the O line was sitting there basically ho hum... just talking... no biggie and one of em was kinda smiling /laughing and talking... not heads hung... not pissed off.. not rallying or trying to work it out...  somebody need to light a FIRE in those kids... maybe Coach Garner needs to take over the O line and give them some tough love this week...

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I thought everyone liked the Baylor offense.  We are running it.  We just aren't as good at it as they were.  But I agree there were no timing routes.

I prefer Oklahoma's. Balance and takes what the defense gives you and exploits it.

How many of these kind of threads are you going to start??? I get that you hate Gus and not many are coming to his defense (and no, I'm not). I don't have a smart enough football acumen to support or bash him, but really? It's been like this since DC left the program. Wait. Are you DC?

Archived