Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

It's funny that the people calling this kid a variety of names that question his courage and his manhood... are driven to call college kids bad names just because they left their favorite football team. I'm sure Byron wishes he was as tough as y'all. Buncha damn crybabies. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mixed feelings here.

As an Auburn fan - this upsets me and I hate that he never lived up to his potential here at Auburn. He had all the tools to be much better than almost all of the defensive lineman we have had in the past decade.

As a coach - I wish he would have made this decision a lot sooner. If we're looking at what's best for the kid, which is the job of a coach, he should have never set foot on campus at Auburn. His heart was with Florida from the start. I think he was on campus for a month before the first mumblings of his desire to transfer. If your heart isn't in it then you'll never truly exert yourself properly.

As a man holding a torch to the Gus Bus gasoline supply - at least some of the blame for the lack of development of BC goes to the coaching staff. It's their job to play psychiatrist when needed and BC's only roadblock is himself. You have to be able to reach the kids the you're essentially a surrogate parent for.

If nothing else doesn't SW and BC's d departure open up more spaces in recruiting? Don't bash me, never have learned the ins and outs of scholarship numbers.

13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am saying attrition is starting to add up. Eventually the finger has to stopped being pointed at the players. And one starts to wonder whats going on behind closed doors...

Ease your fears.  Auburn is fine, lists and comparisons have been made with our competition and our attrition rate is normal - no worries.:cool:

5 minutes ago, War Knight said:

If nothing else doesn't SW and BC's d departure open up more spaces in recruiting? Don't bash me, never have learned the ins and outs of scholarship numbers.

Auburn finds it difficult to fill the 85 limit, so with or without the SW/BC departure, there are plenty of scholly spots available.

27 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn finds it difficult to fill the 85 limit, so with or without the SW/BC departure, there are plenty of scholly spots available.

I'll help still one of those spots! Used up my 4 years in wrestling but I still have 4 for football. Throw me at tight end, not like they get thrown to anyway. I'll run a streak straight down field and bring a defender with me if nothing else haha. Nevermind my 5'8" 170lbs frame coach. McCalebb wasn't any bigger!

Alright, that went further than it needed to. But it is painfully sad that we can't seem to fill our spot considering our history.

58 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And in that light, that's why I chose to list Bama's attrition in the same timeframe.  At least with one team, who is the best team in the league the last several years and is our main competition, it doesn't appear to be that out of line.  Attrition happens everywhere and Auburn isn't unusual.

its a flawed analysis considering they sign a higher percentage of these highly ranked recruits,  positional needs, etc    I thought i would point this out since you love to  take other people post farther than needed.   care for a xanax 

Can someone tell me if transfers (grad or juco or sitting out a year) count against the scholarship total of 25 for an incoming class? Or if there are some who count and some who don’t?

Edit: Transfers coming TO auburn I mean.

8 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

its a flawed analysis considering they sign a higher percentage of these highly ranked recruits,  positional needs, etc    I thought i would point this out since you love to  take other people post farther than needed.   care for a xanax 

It's not flawed.  They sign a higher percentage and see a proportional amount of attrition relative to that different.

Look, it's not my fault if you make assertions on a public website and you don't like getting pushback.  If you leave your points open to interpretation by not explaining them well, that's on you.

And given I'm not the one being easily butthurt, I'm not in need of Xanax.  Perhaps you'd like a Valium?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Ok, I'm glad to know that Auburn's attrition rate in our top 20 rated players is within the normal range when compared our competition.  

I'm not sure why this seems to be bothering you.  It's a reasonable and logical way to look at it.  

If you were looking at major injuries for a our football team and questioning whether we have an abnormally high rate of injuries and whether our S&C needs to be looked at, just looking at Auburn's numbers doesn't really tell you much of anything.  You'd want to know rates of injuries for all NCAA football teams, all FBS teams, all Power 5 teams, all SEC teams and so on and compare them over time.  That's the only thing that tells you whether your injury rate is out of line or basically on average.

Does that mean injuries don't bother you?  Of course not.  Same with attrition.  No one wants to lose guys who could be contributors or stars.  But like injuries, attrition happens at all major programs, whether through transferring or getting kicked off the team for being a knucklehead.  So it is entirely relevant to ask - is Auburn's attrition rate unusual?  And the only way to do that is to compare.

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm not saying that this one incident does. But these issues are starting to add up. That's what I'm saying. That's my thinking anyway. Eventually it comes to a point you have to stop blaming the players.

Who do we blame?  What issues are you speaking of?  Did the coaches put the bong to SW mouth and tell him hit it or take him out to parties?  Did the coaches discourage Cowart from being a good player?  Did they want the supposed number 1 player in the nation to fail?  How do you not blame the people who are committing the actions? Now the on the field play I 100% agree if we don't finish as expected there comes to a point when we have all of the talent we have that you can't blame players, but with the SW and BC issues how in the world can you blame the coaches? 

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Eventually the excuses run out and the finger has to be pointed to the coaching staff and not the players is all I'm saying.

But what criteria do you use to shift from blaming the player to blaming the coach?  The only thing I can think of is if you look at the attrition rates of other comparable schools and see if Auburn has that is higher than them to a statistically significant degree.  If it is, then maybe the coach's role needs to be examined - either their oversight as a coaching staff is lacking or they are recruiting too many low character guys to begin with.  But if the rate isn't really that different from other SEC or Power 5 schools, then is it really an "excuse" when you point out the decisions the players made that got them kicked off? 

Simply saying "the excuses run out" without this analysis is meaningless.  It comes off more as "I'm not happy with the current coach because the team isn't performing well and I'm just going to use this to pile on."

46 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Who do we blame?  What issues are you speaking of?  Did the coaches put the bong to SW mouth and tell him hit it or take him out to parties?  Did the coaches discourage Cowart from being a good player?  Did they want the supposed number 1 player in the nation to fail?  How do you not blame the people who are committing the actions? Now the on the field play I 100% agree if we don't finish as expected there comes to a point when we have all of the talent we have that you can't blame players, but with the SW and BC issues how in the world can you blame the coaches? 

I couldn't agree more!  At some point kids have to take responsibility for THEIR actions.  Play on the field is different.  The actions taken on the field or in direct relation to what is being prepared for is on the coaches.  How they prepare and actions taken while not on the field are on the kid.

6 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I'm going to go back to the player himself for a minute .

I stayed at home on signing day and was beyond happy when he announced he was coming to us. I stayed glued to the tv till well after lunch. Honestly, I let the recruiting consume me way to much.

It's a shame he hasn't matured into a dominant player but I don't blame coaching. I think our defensive side of the ball is WELL coached. there comes a point where you can only do so much. unfortunately for us and him it didn't work out.

I know this will sound selfish as I say it but it's the truth. if I was a 5 star number one recruit in the nation coming out of high school and probably all ready counting my millions that i was gona make in the NFL, well, if I wasn't starting by my junior year and the outlook not any better for my senior year then I would be transferring else were where I could showcase my talents.

Time is running out for him so I understand the move.  I. certainly don't feel the Ill will i did towards some of the others.

and yes I'm saying this without bringing into account what ever factors  it is that have held him back to this point.   im sure a lot of it has to do with the young man himself.

yet, I wish him luck.

On September 19, 2017 at 3:25 PM, auskip07 said:

No he was rated as a 5 star coming in. whether he deserved the ranking is to be decided. Fellow 5* failures were   Roc Thomas, Duke williams, Jovon Robinson 

Mike Dyer, but we did get one good year out of him.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:21 AM, Randman5000 said:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/5-star-Byron-Cowart-wanted-to-leave-Auburn-twice-during-career-107680763

Read this Article. Come on, have respect for a fellow Auburn man, former or not. 

Read my original post, it was never a commentary, simply adding clarity to someone else's post by way of posting a definition.  You'll note there is not any opinion listed, simply fact.  Yours is just another "ready, fire, aim" post from the bottom feeders of AUFamily.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

yeah Titan really didnt catch my joke  that  "it didnt feel like football season unless we lost a 5*." and felt the need to blow it up way out of proportion     But Dyer can be viewed as a one and done type of player. he contributed alot that one year and played like a 5* 

23 hours ago, War Knight said:

He had all the tools to be much better than almost all of the defensive lineman we have had in the past decade.

I kind of agree with this and I kind of don't. Byron did have all the tools to be great. To me, what made Byron stand out coming out of High School was how he had already developed physically. He already had the size, strength and burst to compete in the SEC. He was physically impressive. So, yeah in that sense he had all the "tools".

But we sign guys every year who I think have just as much potential, just not right of the gate. They might need a year to add weight, get stronger, etc. To me the intrigue with Cowart was that he might develop into a dominant player early - that he might be a big time contributor in the same way that Davidson was last year. 

6 hours ago, auskip07 said:

yeah Titan really didnt catch my joke  that  "it didnt feel like football season unless we lost a 5*." and felt the need to blow it up way out of proportion     But Dyer can be viewed as a one and done type of player. he contributed alot that one year and played like a 5* 

Still crying I see.

Hopefully he'll transfer to UCF, practice and play hard and earn his degree....then become a positive asset to our society and his family....

Best in all you do Byron

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

We got two 182+ carry, 1000 yard seasons out of him. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We got two 182+ carry, 1000 yard seasons out of him. 

Beat me to it. Some people do no fact checking on this site.

Archived