Offensive line play

dave$AU

All I'm saying in reference to the OL is we go against our DL in practice. Clemson is the only legit team in our classification we have played. These lower classification teams make it very hard to judge just how much if any progress has been made. Our practice should really present a problem for the OL given our DL. Ga. Southern and Mercer should be bench clearing opportunities and we just aren't there yet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Auskip said:

There is no doubt that the Oline needs to improve. However, they should get some credit for our 500+ yards against Mercer and Ga Southern. If I recall correctly, not one of the linemen dropped a fumble or threw an interception.

I liked the passing output against Mercer. Stidham is lethal with short quick throws. Hope to see more of that. My concern with the O line is the inability to get push over the first three games. I expect significant improvement as we settle in to the new CL offense. WDE!? 

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I liked the passing output against Mercer. Stidham is lethal with short quick throws. Hope to see more of that. My concern with the O line is the inability to get push over the first three games. I expect significant improvement as we settle in to the new CL offense. WDE!? 

I commend you for your faith, I really do, but it was M E R C E R.  They have been playing football for all of 5 years (I think).   Remember that a house of excellence is not build with a foundation  made of excuses

If our o-line practices against our d-line, which we all know is pretty damn good, how did the coaches not foresee this? How can we be in shock that our o-line is doing such a poor job?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, csgau said:

you may be right.With that said , the base problem is the majority of the O line is losing the battle with the man in front of him. Hope that changes this week.

It shouldn't matter, probably doesn't , but could any of this be to poor play design ? Having to engage in blocks for longer periods of time, while poorly designed plays take time to develop... I'm reaching, aren't I ? 

8 minutes ago, MaxP said:

If our o-line practices against our d-line, which we all know is pretty damn good, how did the coaches not foresee this? How can we be in shock that our o-line is doing such a poor job?

You got me?.    Stuff like that is why I get so upset at what I see on the field.   I don't understand.   What boggles my mind is that I have a friend who has a son who played at a juco in mississippi.   He can call the plays before the snap most of the time, based on player groups,situation and formation.    He says that they ran a more sophisticated system in juco

I have heard and read in different places over the years including those sections of pre-season mags where opposing coaches anonymously talk about your team that our practices are too soft.  I don't know how much our offensive line is really truly practicing against our defensive line.  Its one thing to line up and go through the motions its another to actually hit with those guys.  Not sure how much truth there is to it but when you watch our O line it does make you wonder. 

12 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I have heard and read in different places over the years including those sections of pre-season mags where opposing coaches anonymously talk about your team that our practices are too soft.  I don't know how much our offensive line is really truly practicing against our defensive line.  Its one thing to line up and go through the motions its another to actually hit with those guys.  Not sure how much truth there is to it but when you watch our O line it does make you wonder. 

go back and watch the OL on that 2013 team.    Man, they were anything else but soft.    Now watch this year and last.    You'll see the difference immediately.    What is the missing factor that has changed  the equation?

• WarTiger changed the title to Offensive line play
2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

go back and watch the OL on that 2013 team.    Man, they were anything else but soft.    Now watch this year and last.    You'll see the difference immediately.    What is the missing factor that has changed  the equation?

What I have heard is after that 2013 season for whatever reason Gus got worried about injuries and softened up the practices.  I guess if you have naturally tough guys like maybe that 2013 team had it doesn't matter but if not then it could have an effect.  Other than that it just seems like Gus tries too hard to tweak everything and ends up with a mess where the O line and the WR's seem to have no clue what they are doing from play to play.  Seems like that 2013 team had WR's that didn't mind getting down and dirty and making big time blocks, not sure we have guys like that now either. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

What I have heard is after that 2013 season for whatever reason Gus got worried about injuries and softened up the practices.  I guess if you have naturally tough guys like maybe that 2013 team had it doesn't matter but if not then it could have an effect.  Other than that it just seems like Gus tries too hard to tweak everything and ends up with a mess where the O line and the WR's seem to have no clue what they are doing from play to play.  Seems like that 2013 team had WR's that didn't mind getting down and dirty and making big time blocks, not sure we have guys like that now either. 

Well that begs the question, who was the OL and WR coachs in 2013?

JB Grimes was a been there done that kind of guy. Had the reputation as an elite coach. Craig had also been around the block at some good programs. We should know more about HH at the season end.

There were at least 4 plays in Clemson game that any Auburn starting RB from 1980 to 2014 would have busted for huge gains and one possibly a TD. That alone would change the way D coordinators scheme against us. Kill the QB. That's the plan. The main thing I see missing is a REAL running threat. 4 60 yrs runs as opposed to four 7 yrd runs and we would all be talking much differently today. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

I commend you for your faith, I really do, but it was M E R C E R.  They have been playing football for all of 5 years (I think).   Remember that a house of excellence is not build with a foundation  made of excuses

I acknowledged we're not getting push. Where did I make excuses? Just curious. 

On 9/22/2017 at 7:39 AM, doverstutts said:

when Chef Tell was at Penn St for 2 years, his O-Line set records for most sacks allowed.    They allowed a total of 83 sacks in his two years, while the previous year, they only allowed 16.    You do the math.    He is Mr. Magoos butt buddy, and thats his qualification to coach the O-line at AU.   He is an awful coach and his previous stops prove it

He also had 4 walk ons on the starting oline so check your facts before you come across like an idiot

43 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I think that I quoted you by mistake

No worries. WDE!?

1 hour ago, 17-16 said:

There were at least 4 plays in Clemson game that any Auburn starting RB from 1980 to 2014 would have busted for huge gains and one possibly a TD. That alone would change the way D coordinators scheme against us. Kill the QB. That's the plan. The main thing I see missing is a REAL running threat. 4 60 yrs runs as opposed to four 7 yrd runs and we would all be talking much differently today. 

Hopefully KJ coming back will help solve that problem.

He is a good athlete but not the RB solution I was referring to. I just don't find the "Build a complete back" plan a successful option. We need a complete back in one uniform. A complete RB in CGM offense with Stidham at QB and offense would be fine. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

Does he have 4 walkons starting now?     excuse time is over

You just changed blocking schemes, replaced 2 started and only 3 games into the season which one of those games was against the best d line in college football. We all know you hate Gus but at least use a realistic argument. 

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

You just changed blocking schemes, replaced 2 started and only 3 games into the season which one of those games was against the best d line in college football. We all know you hate Gus but at least use a realistic argument. 

83 sacks allowed at penn state in TWO years.   Were the walkons there for TWO years?    Did he bring them to AU when he came?.    Were the schemes different last year?.   No more excuses.

8 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

83 sacks allowed at penn state in TWO years.   Were the walkons there for TWO years?    Did he bring them to AU when he came?.    Were the schemes different last year?.   No more excuses.

You obviously do not understand the point. But please carry on so I can laugh

• 3 weeks later...

Archived