Something UGA did right

Beaker

Not to be a devil's advocate, but I really don't want Jay Jacobs and his cronies sending out "feelers" on behalf of Auburn.  Makes me nauseous to think of him heading up a coaching search while his neck's on the chopping block as we type.  It would be bad optics to have Jacobs involved in the future of Auburn football, it could very well turn some quality candidates away.

Auburn is in rough spot right now, with the turmoil within the AD and Lightfoot/Franklin investigating, and a brand new President that doesn't know who he depend on or trust.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Not to be a devil's advocate, but I really don't want Jay Jacobs and his cronies sending out "feelers" on behalf of Auburn.  Makes me nauseous to think of him heading up a coaching search while his neck's on the chopping block as we type.  It would be bad optics to have Jacobs involved in the future of Auburn football, it could very well turn some quality candidates away.

Auburn is in rough spot right now, with the turmoil within the AD and Lightfoot/Franklin investigating, and a brand new President that doesn't know who he depend on or trust.

That's true that's something I forgot about when mentioning "feelers"

Why is "Feelers" is such a weird word????

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Agree with you on Smart. We know all too well about inexperienced coaches coming in and having instant success with what he inherits.

As far as Gus, I think Kerryon's statements show that the players aren't stupid they know the playcalling is baaad. You've got KJ, who is by all accounts a good kid, making quips in the media about playcalling. Stidham saying "I just do what I'm told" in a "don't ask me" sort of way (or thats how it was used in the article), you have Kam Martin liking anti-Gus Instagram posts. I mean these are key pieces in the offense, minus Martin who should have a bigger role. I do agree with you about the fact that we really won't get a huge jump on the coaching search if we dump Gus now. We can still send out feelers to those we are interested in while Gus finishes the season. As long as it is out of the question that he retains his job minus winning the division I'm fine with him staying on until the Iron Bowl is over.

I never trust quotes like that from players which are often submitted without context.  And what's a QB gonna say.....I wanted to do something else but coach did not call the plays?  
And as for the looking around.....I'm in agreement with folks who contend that until the AD situation is settled that coach shopping is not much benefit.

JMO ...the Prez needs to go ahead and do what apparently needs doing with JJ to settle the alums down....and then see how the season plays with Gus.   I still think AU has the ability to win out.....but doing it?   that's a different story....but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

I never trust quotes like that from players which are often submitted without context.  And what's a QB gonna say.....I wanted to do something else but coach did not call the plays?  
And as for the looking around.....I'm in agreement with folks who contend that until the AD situation is settled that coach shopping is not much benefit.

JMO ...the Prez needs to go ahead and do what apparently needs doing with JJ to settle the alums down....and then see how the season plays with Gus.   I still think AU has the ability to win out.....but doing it?   that's a different story....but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

I agree. I can't speak for the Stidham quote because I did not watch that video, but KJ was definitely trying to hold his tongue and well K-Mart....you don't need context when he likes a photo showing 4 pictures of run plays from the techmo super bowl video game with the caption "the Gus playbook".

Agree on Leath, though. It looks like we are spinning our wheels although I've heard there is a plan in place to replace Jacobs...and also Jacobs is requesting the moon be a part of his "retirement package". And true, no HC will listen to us if there the guy who will be his boss isn't even hired yet lol. Not to mention LSU didn't get much out of firing Les so early other than more opportunities to be turned down.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:10 PM, Barnacle said:

Helped that Georgia already had their coach in waiting. Also helped that their AD's job wasn't in question. I'd like to see Jacobs gone ASAP, so we can give the new AD control of the coaching search. It can't be done by Jacobs. 

Auburn could have hired Kirby instead of Gus. Kirby wanted the job pretty bad. Just a FWIW. 

47 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Auburn could have hired Kirby instead of Gus. Kirby wanted the job pretty bad. Just a FWIW. 

Don't know if true but I heard Coach Dye wanted Kirby.

55 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Well of course we didn't hire him. He was Saban's puppet. The only reason he was even being considered was because he benefited from Saban's success and defensive schemes. He was going to be a failure as soon as he was no longer under Saban's wing. 

:-\

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Well of course we didn't hire him. He was Saban's puppet. The only reason he was even being considered was because he benefited from Saban's success and defensive schemes. He was going to be a failure as soon as he was no longer under Saban's wing. 

:-\

Maybe or maybe not.....but that was close to 6 years ago and still pretty early in his career  There is a time and a place for something like that ...and he was apparently in the running for the DC job at UGA at about the same time.  Lots of guys we coulda hired back then.....some might have succeeded ...or not.  

Just as likely back then, Smart would have been another version of Muschamp...(or Gus) ...promoted before he was ready and proven.   As noted earlier....KS is doing well with Richt's talent for the most part  ..time will tell. 

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe or maybe not.....but that was close to 6 years ago and still pretty early in his career  There is a time and a place for something like that ...and he was apparently in the running for the DC job at UGA at about the same time.  Lots of guys we coulda hired back then.....some might have succeeded ...or not.  

Just as likely back then, Smart would have been another version of Muschamp...(or Gus) ...promoted before he was ready and proven.   As noted earlier....KS is doing well with Richt's talent for the most part  ..time will tell. 

He's winning on the field AND in recruiting. 

26 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He's winning on the field AND in recruiting. 

8 and 5 last year...doing well this year with easy schedule so far......just about like Chiz and Muschamp....mediocre year to start, then good year and pretty soon gone.  Terry Bowden.....similar fate and looks like Gus is headed down the same path.....just saying to give it time....might be right...but then again.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

8 and 5 last year...doing well this year with easy schedule so far......just about like Chiz and Muschamp....mediocre year to start, then good year and pretty soon gone.  Terry Bowden.....similar fate and looks like Gus is headed down the same path.....just saying to give it time....might be right...but then again.

This applies to all coaches. Nothing new. 

48 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This applies to all coaches. Nothing new. 

OK....so let's wait and see what KS does before pronouncing him to be a wonderful hire.

Archived