Something UGA did right

Beaker

2015 season and dismissal[edit]

The 2015 Georgia Bulldogs football team were the favorites to win the SEC Eastern Division. The Bulldogs started the season 4–0 with SEC wins over Vanderbilt by a score of 31–14 and South Carolina by a score of 52–20. On October 3, eventual national champion Alabama came to Athens and defeated the Bulldogs by a score of 38–10. Georgia then had two additional conference losses to Florida and Tennessee. Georgia finished the regular season 9–3 after a four-game winning streak, including road wins over Auburn by a score of 20–13 and Georgia Tech by a score of 13–7. The day after the Georgia Tech game, Richt was dismissed after 15 seasons as head coach for failing to reach the SEC championship that year. He was named the head coach at the University of Miami shortly after.[8]

They set a precedent....I hope we have the leadership to follow.  Gus has made about 20 million dollars beating teams we are supposed to beat and losing every possible rival game except 3-4 during a 5 yr stretch (IMO).  Not since the kick 6 in 2013 have I been overwhelmingly proud of my team.

We really just need to do it now. Why wait. Have Chip run the offense and Kevin run the defense. This season can't end soon enough if we have to wait for another 2 months. The excitement of AU football is gone.

We really need to fire Gus right now for the following reasons.

1. It would put potential coaches out there on notice that a good job was opening.

2. We might save the team. I think there is serious trouble brewing in house and may cause a mass exodus by players.

3. We might get some recruits to hang on if they think we are going to right the ship. 

Belive it or not most reasonable people know Gus needs to go. It’s not a question of going it is a question of when. The sooner the better for AU

Oh it’s going to happen. From all I’ve heard it’s set to happen in December. Leath can make the hire with input from folks he trust. I don’t think JJ ever showed me any qualities he had in picking coaches anyway.

Helped that Georgia already had their coach in waiting. Also helped that their AD's job wasn't in question. I'd like to see Jacobs gone ASAP, so we can give the new AD control of the coaching search. It can't be done by Jacobs. 

From a UGA fan perspective, things like beating us or beating his other rivals (mainly us) was the only thing keeping Richt around for years. They didnt get deluded by simple rival dubs any longer and we shouldnt be deluded by...whatever has kept Gus around this long. 8 wins and a good bowl game, 9 wins and a split between the big two, even 10 wins. Even if we go 11-2, it is gonna be fools gold, I PROMISE YOU THAT (we arent going 11-2 though). 

I don't disagree that Richt didn't quite seem to get them to their potential.  But we are still waiting to see if his replacement is going to be more successful.  Then, and only then, can you say they made the right choice.  In 2013 we thought we had made the right choice with hiring Malzahn...

42 minutes ago, rexbo said:

I don't disagree that Richt didn't quite seem to get them to their potential.  But we are still waiting to see if his replacement is going to be more successful.  Then, and only then, can you say they made the right choice.  In 2013 we thought we had made the right choice with hiring Malzahn...

Yeah, I mean after the Chiz fiasco we hired Gus and he got lucky with a phenom athlete in Nick Marshall. Without Nick, there's absolute zero chance we go to the BCS.

4 hours ago, rexbo said:

The choice is to move on or not, regardless of record.   I am not saying hiring K Smart was the right choice.  That is a different decision.  

For us, I concur, I don't trust JJ to make the next hire.  His last two:  a coach who had to sit out due to NCAA violations and we poached from a great program who couldn't pay the coach what we could pay.   Not super tough to land those guys IMO.   Hiring Chiz - he had a losing record and hiring Gus was easy, he was salivating to come back.  Considering those 4 hires....he hasn't recruited a coach in high demand I don't think.

My fear now is we upset UGA and Gus keeps his job. In his mind, he made all the right moves this year.

You know I bet other coaches laugh at preparing for Auburn:  

1. Weather the 1st and maybe 2nd qtr

2. Convene and make halftime adjustments

3.  Play qtrs 3 & 4, play mistake free to win the game

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Oh it’s going to happen. From all I’ve heard it’s set to happen in December. Leath can make the hire with input from folks he trust. I don’t think JJ ever showed me any qualities he had in picking coaches anyway.

I'm hoping your confidence is well founded. Thanks for giving me hope.

For a change I hope the PTB at Auburn formulate a plan before undertaking an effort of this magnitude

Simply put:

1. Plan your work 

2. Work your plan.

Put everyone on notice, no more Chiziks, damn sure no more Malzahns. We ain't taking any prisoners

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

eventual national champion Alabama came to Athens and defeated the Bulldogs by a score of 38–10.

Interesting how Saban initiated the end for Richt, while Malzahn keeps saving coaches jobs. Hopefully we won't be the catalyst for saving Bielema this weekend like we did coach O,  but I wouldn't be shocked. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Interesting how Saban initiated the end for Richt, while Malzahn keeps saving coaches jobs. Hopefully we won't be the catalyst for saving Bielema this weekend like we did coach O,  but I wouldn't be shocked. 

I would sacrifice one game if it guaranteed the dominoes start to fall.  My fear is he wins just enough to start this whole dysfunctional cycle all over again in the Spring.  All the lies about the changes and deceit about who is running the O.  

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I would sacrifice one game if it guaranteed the dominoes start to fall.  My fear is he wins just enough to start this whole dysfunctional cycle all over again in the Spring.  All the lies about the changes and deceit about who is running the O.  

It is inevitable - Gus will lose to Arky or TAMU but will pull a rabbit out of the hat and beat thUGA and/or bama - just enough to keep his job.  And we will be in the exact same spot we are in now 365 days from now.

7 minutes ago, 1856 said:

It is inevitable - Gus will lose to Arky or TAMU but will pull a rabbit out of the hat and beat thUGA and/or bama - just enough to keep his job.  And we will be in the exact same spot we are in now 365 days from now.

His script will probably be good enough to convincingly beat the hogs; I expect an outcome similar to the Ole Miss game. A&M is winnable, but far from easy. The only reason Malzahn has his single win over UGA is a miracle in a game where he blew a 20 point lead. I don't see Auburn beating Georgia or the updykes this go around...and it could get ugly. 

UGA fans were/are enamored with that lego-piece haircut.  That's where the magic is.  Someone steal that hair piece and the mojo is gone forever.

b6c0b812a9e0f39cc9a931fd1a954e05.gif

UGA is dominating right now. Whether it holds up and they reach their full potential is yet to be seen, but so far they're off to a hot start and put themselves in a comfortable position. I can't say the same about our team. Sure, we do still control our own destiny in the West, but we couldn't even pull out a W against a team that got beat on their own turf by freaking Troy.

Getting rid of Richt and hiring Smart brought in a culture change for that team and it looks like it's paying off. Gus doesn't do anything or initiate anything to bring in a culture change. I think it'd be fun if our team did a turnover award during games, like how Miami does the gold chain, UGA does the gold football pads, or Alabama does the wrestling belt. Say what you want about it, but their players looked amped up when they get to wear it after creating a turnover, and it livens up the team and adds motivation. I know our defense is A+, but still it'd be fun to do something like that.

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

His script will probably be good enough to convincingly beat the hogs; I expect an outcome similar to the Ole Miss game. A&M is winnable, but far from easy. The only reason Malzahn has his single win over UGA is a miracle in a game where he blew a 20 point lead. I don't see Auburn beating Georgia or the updykes this go around...and it could get ugly. 

^^^THIS^^^

No way we beat either team (Bama/UGA) this year, in fact it probably won't even be close.  I have seen a lot of UGA football this year and they are legit on both sides of the ball....the sad part is we will get beat due to coaching, not talent.

Honestly,  aTm has me more worried at the moment.

If anybody thinks we will beat UGA this year, remember UGA beat us last year without scoring an offensive TD.  I know our QB was hurt in the second half, but he was as effective as JS was in the 2nd half of the LSU game.  Substitute the INT with the punt return and you have the same game in the second half.  O points scored and a loss because our defense couldn’t hold up and gave up two FGs.  The common denominator?  Our coach.

He has not learned from his mistakes and often repeats them.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:10 PM, Barnacle said:

Helped that Georgia already had their coach in waiting. Also helped that their AD's job wasn't in question. I'd like to see Jacobs gone ASAP, so we can give the new AD control of the coaching search. It can't be done by Jacobs. 

Another notch in UGA's favor is they weren't operating with a brand new President (Leath), they started with a pretty firm foundation with a reliable/seasoned AD & President.  IMHO, they planned and organized to set themselves up early on with a clear plan in place to replace Richt and scoot Smart right into the job.  

We have a President who's been on the job less than 6 months, and has already had his plate full with a Title IX complaint,  with letters sent to the Alabama Governor for sexual harassment where he had to force the resignation of the head softball coach due to his skivvy son's inability to keep his pecker in his pants. 

He's watched 3 football players leave the program, 2 kicked off the team due to drugs of some sort and another choose to leave mid-season of this own volition.  

Add to that a Federal Investigation leading to the arrest of the Assoc HC of Basketball on 6 Federal counts of fraud, conspiracy,  bribery, solicitation, corruption, etc.  Then the media digs up some crap about academic fraud with a former player.  AND he's had to spend hundreds of thousands to retain Lightfoot, Franklin, White for months on end to investigate the Auburn Athletic Department.  WOW - talk about being thrown to the freaking wolves! 

I bet ole Jay Gogue feels like a champ averting this disaster. 

JMO but way to early to be congratulating UGA for their coaching change....he inherited a very solid team with two great RBs and is playing in a weak division.   Might be wise to give him a season or so before declaring them as geniuses.

Meanwhile.....haven't heard anyone even mention the impact of firing Gus on the players.   These guys,  to a man, are at AU because they were recruited by Gus or one of his assistants.    Unless there is pretty clear evidence that the majority of the players are unhappy with him, changing coaches could be a disaster for a team that actually has the potential to win some big games yet this year.

I'm curious that other than retribution, what is to be gained by letting Gus go now?   Can't do any serious coach search until the season is over....and there is not much evidence that I can recall to confirm that a team got noticeably better under an interim coach. ..though Orgeron is a pretty good interim coach...USCw and LSU but seems his act must get stale if he is at a school very long.

Just that I can't see anything wrong with letting the season play out. 

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but way to early to be congratulating UGA for their coaching change....he inherited a very solid team with two great RBs and is playing in a weak division.   Might be wise to give him a season or so before declaring them as geniuses.

Meanwhile.....haven't heard anyone even mention the impact of firing Gus on the players.   These guys,  to a man, are at AU because they were recruited by Gus or one of his assistants.    Unless there is pretty clear evidence that the majority of the players are unhappy with him, changing coaches could be a disaster for a team that actually has the potential to win some big games yet this year.

I'm curious that other than retribution, what is to be gained by letting Gus go now?   Can't do any serious coach search until the season is over....and there is not much evidence that I can recall to confirm that a team got noticeably better under an interim coach. ..though Orgeron is a pretty good interim coach...USCw and LSU but seems his act must get stale if he is at a school very long.

Just that I can't see anything wrong with letting the season play out. 

Agree with you on Smart. We know all too well about inexperienced coaches coming in and having instant success with what he inherits.

As far as Gus, I think Kerryon's statements show that the players aren't stupid they know the playcalling is baaad. You've got KJ, who is by all accounts a good kid, making quips in the media about playcalling. Stidham saying "I just do what I'm told" in a "don't ask me" sort of way (or thats how it was used in the article), you have Kam Martin liking anti-Gus Instagram posts. I mean these are key pieces in the offense, minus Martin who should have a bigger role. I do agree with you about the fact that we really won't get a huge jump on the coaching search if we dump Gus now. We can still send out feelers to those we are interested in while Gus finishes the season. As long as it is out of the question that he retains his job minus winning the division I'm fine with him staying on until the Iron Bowl is over.

Archived