zone read option

1913-14

9 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Those are "Unplanned" runs, by a team of which defenses have scouted don't have a QB who's a threat to run. When you start including more planned running into the gameplan, then defenses will begin to scout and prepare for a QB who may keep it on a backside read and assign the will to handle the exchange, while the end takes the dive, or start tightening the box with more cover-3 and in the box safeties to support. 

Bottom line, it's good to have the QB sprinkle in a run or two when necessary, however, make it a feature and you'll regret it unless you have a super-athlete at that position. 

Good observations.....and the best time for a QB run is with 9 men on the defensive side of the ball and one of them on the ground with a fake injury trying to get a "time out". 

JMO but there has been far too little appreciation expressed on this site for JS's call in that situation. ...the ideal "read option" play...:)

23 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

In short - Spreading to run, and other offenses that employ the ZR heavily aren't a substitute for a real passing game and lead to poor team composition and technique, as we see now.

Would it work to finish the season out? Yes, but it's nothing you really want to harp on or put players at risk by using heavily.

Ha, lining up in spread look and tightening down the OL spreads is nothing but a recipe for disaster once you've shown virtually no ability to go outside with either the QB or single RB in the backfield.  What's being suggested is that the threat of the QB pushing the edge must be valued by the defense, not scrapping everything to throw, a la Leach's air raid.  Gus is simply shifting the risk (of injury, I presume you're alluding to) on to the RB's.  And they have suffered heavily.  If the DE's and OLB's aren't crashing and pinching the middle maybe we could see Pettway and Johnson finish healthy as well.

5 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Those are "Unplanned" runs, by a team of which defenses have scouted don't have a QB who's a threat to run. When you start including more planned running into the gameplan, then defenses will begin to scout and prepare for a QB who may keep it on a backside read and assign the will to handle the exchange, while the end takes the dive, or start tightening the box with more cover-3 and in the box safeties to support. 

Bottom line, it's good to have the QB sprinkle in a run or two when necessary, however, make it a feature and you'll regret it unless you have a super-athlete at that position. 

I think we are on the same wave-length just slightly different frequencies. Teams have totally disregarded Stidham because we haven't been 'reading'...it's just been zone plays from the shotgun. By 'reading' and sprinkling him in as a threat , someone has to take him into account...it makes life easier for Johnson, Pettway and Co. In no way have I advocated a steady diet of Stidham runs...just a 'sprinkle' as you say. I also advocate using the tight-end in a short/intermediate pass and forcing the defense to play more honest instead of so many run blitzes...doing an occasional play against tendencies can pay a lot of dividends

28 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

I think we are on the same wave-length just slightly different frequencies. Teams have totally disregarded Stidham because we haven't been 'reading'...it's just been zone plays from the shotgun. By 'reading' and sprinkling him in as a threat , someone has to take him into account...it makes life easier for Johnson, Pettway and Co. In no way have I advocated a steady diet of Stidham runs...just a 'sprinkle' as you say. I also advocate using the tight-end in a short/intermediate pass and forcing the defense to play more honest instead of so many run blitzes...doing an occasional play against tendencies can pay a lot of dividends

The problem is you're making too much sense. :hellyeah:

Archived