end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

If you can find it to bump lol. Jimbo knows how to recruit and would bring some flare. He’d keep Steele and probably all the defensive staff. Never understood the Petrino love

Totally agree on Jimbo's recruiting and would be a "win" in the media.

Petrino shouldn't even be considered IMO like not even worth a phone call unless everyone on our list tells us no

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be wise to start talking about future HC’s... not saying it’s for sure a thing, but I don’t think it’s just a “distraction”. Where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. 

37 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It would be wise to start talking about future HC’s... not saying it’s for sure a thing, but I don’t think it’s just a “distraction”. Where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. 

I was thinking unwise, at least publicly...as there are no vacancies either place, hence his response during the presser...if his decision to explore other pastures is fair to middling and things continue to improve overall. It's one thing to criticize and add smoke when things remain in slump mode. I wouldn't want to think I helped ruin something that might finally have taken stable root. But this is the nature of message boards.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Now that's pure REC action right there. In the first place, Auburn isn't considering anyone because Auburn doesn't have an acting AD. In the second place, this is the same BS rumor that they dredge up every time we have an opening because it brings back memories of Jetgate.

44 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It could be another reason for the change in Malzahn. He is one that wants to go out on top. He just seems to want to will us a national championship this year. I think Malzahn would be more at peace with going to Arky, having fulfilled his promise of a national championship at Auburn as head coach.  Arky is probably a personal dream goal of his. Well if he brings us a NC this year, I will be happy for him should he leave. I won't be happy myself because I want this Malzahn to stay. Just win baby!

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Now that's pure REC action right there. In the first place, Auburn isn't considering anyone because Auburn doesn't have an acting AD. In the second place, this is the same BS rumor that they dredge up every time we have an opening because it brings back memories of Jetgate.

And apparently, even when we don't. Silly Bammers.

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Take this for what it’s worth but Clay Travis said “reliable” people have told him.....

Clay Travis also claimed that he had reliable information that Cecil Newton took $180,000 from Auburn and it was just a matter of time before Auburn would be stripped of the national championship. Travis is just another Schaback or whats-his-name that "knew" the bagman. First and last, he's an Auburn hater.

Totally forgot to do the Auburn thing and claim that the big bad Bama media is making all of this up and there’s nothing to worry about! Carry on. 

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Totally forgot to do the Auburn thing and claim that the big bad Bama media is making all of this up and there’s nothing to worry about! Carry on. 

So your saying you really believe "sources" at AU have Petrino lined up as a backup plan in case Gus leaves? 

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

So your saying you really believe "sources" at AU have Petrino lined up as a backup plan in case Gus leaves? 

No I’m saying I honestly don’t think the media is making up EVERYTHING. 

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Scott Frost is either going UF or Nebraska where he played.  I think this is why Chip hasn’t been announced at UF yet.  

Sumlin to UCLA and Jimbo to Tamu is a hot rumor.

UT wants Gruden or Wake’s coach.

Well I'm hearing or reading similar. My problem is I am not in the know and do not have a clue if there is any truth or substance to any of this. I do know that we are going to see coaches moving around soon. But I wasn't going to post any of this because I'm not convinced the messenger knows or may have other motives. However I don't disagree with anything you have stated either, for the same reasons. I have tried to stay somewhat on top of this also but I believe there is much misinformation included too. And I doubt anyone here, save a very few, knows or understands the dynamics of peddling coaches by agents and rumors started by who knows to sow disarray and confusion. For some reason though, I am intrigued by what I read about Scott Frost. I do think he is genuine and a rising star. Much like Gus.  

Unless spuat beats us by 30 or 40 (which is not going to happen), Gus is safe at AU for another year just because of the UGA game.  

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Unless spuat beats us by 30 or 40 (which is not going to happen), Gus is safe at AU for another year just because of the UGA game.  

wde

...unless he decides to leave.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Could not disagree more....I'm betting this is the reason behind a good percentage of divorces and people quitting their jobs.    For some reason folks figure if a guy earns a lot of money they should be able to say what they want...and the guy should take it.       Sorry, but from my observation,  the world and life doesn't work that way.   Try that with your spouse or children and see how long that relationship lasts if that person has options available.

Otherwise, good points.......some pretty good coaches gonna be moving ....either voluntary or involuntary and I'm betting  most  of the schools they depart from will not improve their coaching staff with the change.    Short term mentality prevailing ....coaches who are sprinters come in ....make a quick splash and then when "normal" sets in, the alums are ready for them to go. 

PS....interesting how aubaseball could name the five least attractive candidates I could think of to be the face of Auburn University.  

Maybe I can say it a different way.  Gus is in a highly competitive position amongst the best of the best.  Let’s say Gus is in sales instead of coaching.  His first year he made some big sales.  His next 3 years not so much.  You could go as far as saying he blew some pretty big deals.  Now his boss is riding him because Gus has a big book of business and should be producing at a higher level.  This year he had some more big sales opportunities that should have been sales but didn’t come through.  Finally he hits a big sale and his boss is happy again.  Even in the toughest of times Gus kept working hard so understandably he’s got a chip on his shoulder from being rode so hard by his boss.  Gus can either keep fighting believing he’s turned a corner or realistically take a step to a lesser company where the pressure to be a top producer won’t be as high.  To me accepting the lesser job because it would be less pressure is a loser mentality.  That’s been beat into my head during years of playing sports and working in sales.  If Auburn fires Gus one day for not meeting expectations I’m sure Arkansas will still be there.  

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

To me accepting the lesser job because it would be less pressure is a loser mentality.  

That's' not what is going on in my view at least.  Gus is at the top of his field in a competitive business...and I think it is more a matter of how much BS you take from mostly unaccomplished  people before you tell them to stick it.   

The stuff being floated around has about as much credibility as a North Korea newspaper. BEAT BAMA. WDE???!!!

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe I can say it a different way.  Gus is in a highly competitive position amongst the best of the best.  Let’s say Gus is in sales instead of coaching.  His first year he made some big sales.  His next 3 years not so much.  You could go as far as saying he blew some pretty big deals.  Now his boss is riding him because Gus has a big book of business and should be producing at a higher level.  This year he had some more big sales opportunities that should have been sales but didn’t come through.  Finally he hits a big sale and his boss is happy again.  Even in the toughest of times Gus kept working hard so understandably he’s got a chip on his shoulder from being rode so hard by his boss.  Gus can either keep fighting believing he’s turned a corner or realistically take a step to a lesser company where the pressure to be a top producer won’t be as high.  To me accepting the lesser job because it would be less pressure is a loser mentality.  That’s been beat into my head during years of playing sports and working in sales.  If Auburn fires Gus one day for not meeting expectations I’m sure Arkansas will still be there.  

I think this is an excellent analogy. Now why one might trade one opportunity for another might be tied to all kinds of reasons, and it's easy to describe that decision as both positive and negative, depending upon one's motives and values. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

...unless he decides to leave.

Do you really think it is a real possibility Gus would bail?

wde

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Gus can either keep fighting believing he’s turned a corner or realistically take a step to a lesser company where the pressure to be a top producer won’t be as high.

It is a great analogy. But Arky has fired 4 coaches the past 10 years (assuming Bert gets fired soon). There isn’t less pressure there. Every SEC fan base has an exaggerated expectation for their program. And you’re still competing in the SEC West without top 10 recruiting classes and a Steele/Garner/T Will defense. 

Archived