My opinion on a great QB

PChamp119

OK I think everyone on this board needs to quit making assumptions on my opinion of Brandon Cox and all QBs in general for that matter. I have made it clear that I am not his biggest fan. He will be an OK QB in my opinion. Certain people on this board seem to think that I feel the 40 time is all that matters. Never in my life have I mentioned a 40 time in any of my posts. Personally I think the 40 time is gay. I have spoken about mobility and scrambling and pocket awareness.

Yea, Brandon can throw an accurate ball. God, I would hope so if you are playing for one of the best teams in the nation. I would hope of the 250 Million people in America (or however many ppl we have), that we can find ~ 50 that can throw a football accurately. Hell, I can throw an accurate football.

The reason I was so big on JC prior to last season was because he could scramble WHEN NECESSARY! Jason was not a mobile QB, he wasn't a scrambling QB, but he could scramble and avoid sacks and avoid the pressure of a defense and the blitz. Yea he would get sacked once every couple of games, but that stuff happens. He was better than most. I saw Chris Leak in the Peach Bowl in person and it seemed he got sacked more in that game than JC did all season. And Chris is a mobile QB and "one of the best QBs in the nation." Jason could throw the ball accurately and hard. He wasn't the most accurate QB in the nation, but he was pretty damn accurate. He made good decisions. He drove down the field and made plays happen. He checked off at the line and read the defense.

With that said, yea JC is gone and we got Cox to take over. I have heard he is more accurate and can read the defense (after the snap) quicker than JC. That Cox is built for this offense. I don't believe in 40 times, but Brandon doesn't have the speed or the pocket awareness to avoid the defensive rush/blitz. He needs GREAT (if not perfect) protection from the line to get his passes off. IN MY OPINION that is why I am giving him a hard time. I am not bashing Brandon Cox, he is better than I could ever do. I am just expressing my opinion on WHERE I FEEL Brandon is going to hurt Auburn in games.

Any moron can read a statistic and see he has accuracy (even tho 8-22 isn't accurate, but "it is only spring." Hell I remember last spring he was really accurate... what happened?). But for the most part, people don't want to look at QB as a whole job. Everyone wanted to bash JC last year because he "didn't have it all mentally." He had it it going for him the last 3 years. Y'all just didn't see it. And I think y'all are missing on an important part of the QB position and it isn't throwing a ball accurate. It takes accuracy, leadership, and being able to handle the pressure and scramble out of the pocket to throw the ball. QB's that can throw, escape pressure and lead is what wins ball games against good and great teams. That is why Jason Campbell was the best QB this year. If Brandon can learn to escape the pocket - he'll go down as one of the best ever. Every QB relies on either passing or scrambling as their "threat" to the defense. Jason had both. Brandon has one. Defenses will attack him and give him everything they got to rattle him. That's just what I see happening and that's my humble opinion. You can disagree all you want, but don't call me a moron and say Deion Sanders is the greatest QB of all time - cuz you'll just sound like an idiot cuz you got me all wrong.

No matter who starts in 2005, we are lucky to have Al Borges as the QB coach and OC. Campbell always had the physical tools to play the game but it was Borges who finally removed JC from his shell. Once JC felt comfortable he became confident in the system and the offense clicked. In fairness to Cox, he is a RS Soph compared to a RS Senior in Jason Campbell. I agree that Cox will make some costly errors this season but it will be part of his growing phase.

As long as Borges is high on Cox, I feel confident we will be okay. The upside is that Cox played in a similar pass offense in HS, so his comfort zone is higher at this stage of his career compared to JC in 2001 or 2002. I agree that JC was more mobile but I also know that Borges will scheme differently with Cox at QB. During the 2004 season, he stated that he had a different "menu" of plays designed for Cox and his abilities. This is why I speculate that we will see more of a West Coast flavor in our passing game this upcoming season.

I also agree with your comments about BC's ability to read defenses. JC did a great job last year and it was the key to our consistent play on offense. Borges is turning up the heat early on our QB's, which we have never done under Tuberville. Good move on CAB's part.

We do not run an option offense-mobility is a plus but not necessary for our QBs-there is something called a "pocket" where the QB get in and throws the ball out of. Deion Sanders had tremendous mobility and scrambling ability so he would have been untouchable at QB since those are the most important qualities for a QB to have.

How can you judge his pocket awareness when we are throwing everything at him this early? I think he is aware that most of the time he has 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball when we run scrimmage type situations

Wow... can you read? did you make it into auburn? Because a requirement to get into college is to read and read it correctly... god...

I NEVER SAID MOBILITY AND SCRAMBLING WERE THE MOST IMPORTANT! hense my Chris Leak point. I said you have to have Mobility, scrambling, leadership, AND THROWING.... duh... what an idiot.

Obviously deion can't throw as well as an NFL QB... or he'd be one... duh

Guys like Chris Leak and for the most part (but not all) black QBs is they rely on their speed and scrambling ability. Once a defense figures it out, he is useless. They rattle him, force him to pass, and then the defense plays pass defense. Those type of QBs are 1 dimensional. Luckily Vick has speed and a good arm, so he is dual threat.

Guys like Eli Manning and David Green and Brandon Cox (white people for the most part, but not all)... can only throw. You rattle him by attacking him in the pocket because he won't escape it. Sack him a couple times and he's screwed.

Jason Campbell... can do all of the above. Which is why he was so great. You give him time in the pocket - he passes. You rush him - he escapes and finds open receivers. And when he wanted to... he could just run the ball!

And BTW... you point out Brandon Cox and that TD run... I laughed soo hard when he ran that TD. Did anyone else not think that play was in slow motion. Granted he got the TD - good for him... lol but he ran so slowly into the endzone. Not to mention... IT WAS LOUISIANA MONROE!!! Cox will beat those teams and the kitty litter teams in the SEC with ease. I want to see him be productive against LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I know we don't play Florida, but if we make it to the SEC CG, we probably will.

We do not run an option offense-mobility is a plus but not necessary for our QBs

READ

your response-

I said you have to have Mobility, scrambling, leadership, AND THROWING.... duh... what an idiot.

2 of 4 have to do with running-mobility and scrambling Cox might not be great at so that leaves leadership and throwing as your questions about Cox if you concede that mobility and scrambling are not neccessary in our offense.

So you believe that Cox can't throw well and/or is not a great leader. You're a sharp one.

I see why intelligence didn't make your "list" :lol: I've always thought that was a pretty important one :big:

How can you judge his pocket awareness when we are throwing everything at him this early? I think he is aware that most of the time he has 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball when we run scrimmage type situations

response?

Brandon doesn't have the speed or the pocket awareness to avoid the defensive rush/blitz. He needs GREAT (if not perfect) protection from the line to get his passes off

pretty fair assessment after four spring practices

Brandon Cox's recruiting profile

According to this profile, Cox runs a 4.7. That's not Campbell, but that's a good speed for a QB that's not a scrambler.

In a West Coast style offense, the QB is not usually asked to hold the ball for a long time before throwing it. This offense usually consist of short routes, meaning the ball is released rather quickly after the snap. Yes there will be many times when Cox is required to hold the ball and allow his receivers to push up field, but that is not what the majority of west coast passes rely on.

Tom Brady, (I am not saying Cox will play like him), does not have the mobility that you explain is important to have a great QB. Brady is your ultimate pocket passer. He'll wait until the last second to get rid of the ball if that's what it takes, even if he's going to get hit. He feels pressure very well which allows him to move around in the pocket to make a play. I'm not even a big fan of Brady's, I just respect how he plays. Just like Brady doesn't have to be a McNabb or a Vick, Cox doesn't have to be a V. Young (Texas). Cox just has to feel the pressure and move inside the pocket to give him space to throw inside the pocket. He doesn't have to scramble to the sidelines to avoid every pressure.

I'm not expecting Cox to be God or anything. But I do see him having the ability (just like Jason had minus .2 seconds 40 speed) to running this offense and be effective.

The three you listed: Mobility, Scrambling, and Pocket Awareness

Out of those three pocket awareness is the only requirement to be a great QB.

Man, everyone is so damn critical of our QB every year. After one week of practice we don't really have any idea on how Cox is gonna do next season. He's still really young and has time to improve, and he will. Why does every player have to be suddenly great as soon as they hit the field?

I NEVER SAID MOBILITY AND SCRAMBLING WERE THE MOST IMPORTANT! hense my Chris Leak point.

149700[/snapback]

Chris Leak is a prototypical pocket passer. I don't think he's ever been known as a "scrambling QB".

I NEVER SAID MOBILITY AND SCRAMBLING WERE THE MOST IMPORTANT! hense my Chris Leak point.

149700[/snapback]

Chris Leak is a prototypical pocket passer. I don't think he's ever been known as a "scrambling QB".

149709[/snapback]

thats what i was thinking. i can't remember seeing him take off more than two or three times a game.

I'm sorry PChamp, but your evaluation of Cox's abilities and how he's going to do this year carry about as much weight as a palm reader with me. I'm glad to know we have our very own clairvoyant on WEN who can make such assertive proclamations after a guy makes a few appearances in mop up roles with the second team offense and the first scrimmage of spring.

Nevermind that the OC that transformed Jason from a tentative underachiever into one of the best QBs in the nation last year thinks Cox was made to run this offense.

Hmm, whose opinion should I pay more attention to...some dude on a message board or Al Borges? Dude on message board? Al Borges?

Is anyone else finding this call that difficult to make?

Is Brandon Cox a "GREAT" qb? Will he be a great qb for Auburn? Will any of the current qbs come close to what JC did for AU last season?

WHO KNOWS?

BC and the rest just finished their FIRST scrimage. (Please note that we have a VERY good defense).

Let's all shut up and let the coaches coach 'em and see what happens.

(I remember all of those that were asking how long before the coaches pulled JC in favor of BC LAST season.)

p.s. BC throws the best passes I have EVER seen. :D:poke:

Yo Champ take a deep breath, your going to give yourself a coronary. We all have opinions and you called that guy a idiot so kind of makes your point moot if you are going to do the same. Lets calm down, count to 10 and get back to the happines.

It’s altogether too early to expect to be impressed by Brandon Cox …. or any other replacement for Campbell. Cox is going up against the #1 D that blitzed more in its first scrimmage that all of last spring combined – a major difference.

I was unable to attend the scrimmage, but based on my father’s feedback, the O-line is still wrestling with the adjustments they’ve been forced to make and the Defense exposed this big-time. The pocket was inconsistent and breaking down quicker than last season….. likely will get better now that the defense has taken them down a notch (or two).

Cox will come around and will develop nicely under Borges’ continued tutelage. I remain skeptical of his arm strength, which will only be a problem if he tries to force throws in situations where he shouldn’t. The problems at the Center position should be far more concerning than what we’ve seen at QB thus far.

Man, things are getting testy around here and it's just March. Cox and Booker look to be our guys for this upcoming season and no matter how we try to analyze them and compare them to JC or anyone else, we're still going into the first game againts GT with one of them under center. CTT and CAB will work them both to death and then make the decision as to which one will help AU the most. THAT young man will be our QB whether we like him or not, whether he runs a 4.7 or 4.3 40 time, whether he reads blitzes as well as JC or not.

I don't mind comparing players or analyzing strengths and weaknesses of certain players, but letting a topic like this deteriorate into name calling like "idiot" and "moron" is ridiculous.

Intelligence, making the right reads,

Leadership ability

Self confidence

Mobility

Strong arm

Sense of the field of play

Calmness under pressure

Ability to bounce back from failure or defeat.

Man, things are getting testy around here and it's just March.  Cox and Booker look to be our guys for this upcoming season and no matter how we try to analyze them and compare them to JC or anyone else, we're still going into the first game againts GT with one of them under center.  CTT and CAB will work them both to death and then make the decision as to which one will help AU the most.  THAT young man will be our QB whether we like him or not, whether he runs a 4.7 or 4.3 40 time, whether he reads blitzes as well as JC or not. 

I don't mind comparing players or analyzing strengths and weaknesses of certain players, but letting a topic like this deteriorate into name calling like "idiot" and "moron" is ridiculous.

149748[/snapback]

Well said Esquire. I , for one, am pulling for whomever the starter may be as well as the back up, third string, etc...

After all, they are all TIGERS ! ! ! ! :au:

Did anybody think about the fact that this was not only the fist scrimmage, but we had the 2 SEC sack leaders from last year at the defensive end slots lined up and cut loose to put the pressure on Cox with a substitute center in there? Good gosh, give the kid a break. If he makes in through the spring without getting his head torn off by McClover or Groves he should be good to go againist any pass rush he is going to face in the regular season! That is how you make him better and the learning process is not always pretty. That is why the call it PRACTICE! :football:

they only had to two-hand touch the qb's down. so, i think cox should survive the spring.

i have to say, i was decidedly disappointed with brandon at the scrimmage. i thought he looked worse this year than last year (by a long shot) which i didn't really expect. the scrimmage made me realize one thing about him: he's a rhythm passer. i hadn't really thought about it before, but it's true. that's not necessarily a bad thing to be in college (hell, danny wonderful was a rhythm passer). it just means he's going to have to master his checks and get rid of the ball on time, every time, or something bad will happen. it's different than what jason could do b/c he had the mobility and the arm to wait longer and ad lib more.

all that said, brandon has great mechanics. he seemed to be making pretty good reads against the blitz (didn't get the ball there, but it's a start). the guys seem to like him, and our receivers have nothing but good things to say about him. couple that with a good coach (who coached another guy i consider a rhythm passer in cade mcnown. he had a bigger arm, but he made bad reads when he freelanced so it was the same result), and i think he'll be okay.

regardless of what we say, a qb doesn't have to be the best player on the field. brandon won't be the best guy for us, but if he plays mistake-free football, we should be a really, really good team. he'll have the best defense in the conference on his side not coming at him, that should help.

Does anyone have any information on Calvin Bookers speed and the type of system he played in during high school?

Does anyone have any information on Calvin Bookers speed and the type of system he played in during high school?

149892[/snapback]

says on rivals he ran a 4.8

Link

not sure if the link will work or not, it might be premium.

Hell, I can throw an accurate football.

149685[/snapback]

And to think you thought you needed to start a thread about this.

Me thinks thou would crappest in thy pants looking at a 6' 5" 280lb DE coming at you. Much less throw the ball where it is supposed to go.

I laugh at you...HA!

Archived