Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

We aren't out of this yet with Steele.  Just because they did not offer him the head coaching job, doesn't mean they won't try to poach him for the defensive coordinator job.  We need to do everything in our power to keep him.  We need to do what the Clippers did in 2015 to get DeAndre Jordan to remain in Los Angeles.  Surround the guy's house, and not let him leave until Tennessee has all of their coaches.

I don't think that's something to worry about. Been reading that Steele has only one or two more years to become vested in the State of Alabama retirement system. Now, were he offered the HC job with it's accompanying millions the retirement thing probably wouldn't matter but going sideways to Tenn. at this point would't make any sense for him.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

Any chance Nicky Satan tries to pull Steele away from us?!

Nope, NS has already had Steele as a DC on his staff and only kept him in that capacity for 1 yr.

Pruitt to Tennessee! We dodged a bullet with this one!

I won't rest easy about Steele until all the coaching changes are over with, I sure hope we can keep him.

I hope the UT faithful give Pruitt all the asparagus he can handle

Also would Chip Lindsey see an opportunity to 100% run an offense at UT rather than have seemingly less control here?

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Also would Chip Lindsey see an opportunity to 100% run an offense at UT rather than have seemingly less control here?

Has there been some discussion of Lindsey and Tennessee?

Just now, shabby said:

Has there been some discussion of Lindsey and Tennessee?

I've seen some mention on here that Pruitt may target CCL as his OC. Just conjecture but I was just kind of curious if the insiders had any insight to how CCL feels as there were murmurs of him being unhappy at the start of the year.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I won't rest easy about Steele until all the coaching changes are over with, I sure hope we can keep him.

I agree!

All the coaching turnover was fun at first, but now I’m ready for it to be over with.

If Santa would leave the entire AU coaching staff unchanged under the tree I wold be a happy camper. Yes we have some weaker links, and yes if you ask 100 AU fans every coach on the staff would get some votes fir replacement. 

But, we are losing a ton of Sr leadership this year and IMHO returning the same team of coaches will be a hugh plus for next year.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. There are no guarantees, especially in the crazy world of college football, but he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't really want to be a head coach again. Tennessee was an exception since Fulmer is a buddy of his.

Neither of them are going anywhere unless it's to be a head coach, and Steele's best shot at that just went to Pruitt.  I understand the South Alabama HC job that Lindsey was considered for is going to be Steve Campbell (Central Arkansas HC).  So I think we're good for another year.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, looney said:

I get why that *shouldnt* be funny, but, man, it is.

I was just thinking to myself.....I'm going to hell for laughing at that.  :-X

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Well....he wouldn't run much of anything for quite a while because TN is pretty low on talent. And the Vol fans don't seem to grasp the reality of the situation and how long it will take to build the program again.  I can't see him taking on that kind of misery when he has such good talent to work with at AU and he has finally won the Tiger fans over after that rocky start.  But maybe he would if the money was outrageous enough to make up for all the pain he will suffer for a few years.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

What's with all the Pruitt/ asparagus talk? I missed something somewhere.....

On 12/5/2017 at 4:26 PM, corchjay said:

God no.  T-will isn't remotely ready to be a DC at a major college.  T-will hasn't even been handling the linebackers by himself.  He's been under Steele's wing.  

You guys know more than I do. I do believe at some point twill will be a prominent coach in college football 

I kind of doubt Steele would be a prospect for either Pruitt or Saban. Both Saban and Pruitt are all-in on the 3-4 defense. Saban ran the hybrid 4-3 at LSU and Miami (with Muschamp as DC), but went back to the 3-4 when he went to Bama.

Steele only spent one year as Saban's DC running Saban's 3-4 defense. Other than that, Steele has run a hybrid 4-3 system very similar to what Muschamp runs.

I could see Saban looking at someone like Dave Aranda. But I think he might promote Tosh Lupoi. Lupoi is already paid a coordinator level salary of $950,000 per year.

(Rocker) why would a local GA guy leave them for UT? Just the money?

I am a little surprised he would bolt unless he's getting more responsibility...and ofc a lot more money..

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

(Rocker) why would a local GA guy leave them for UT? Just the money?

I am a little surprised he would bolt unless he's getting more responsibility...and ofc a lot more money..

Georgia and it's new coach might not be what he wants.....guessing it might be more than just money.   Ga can do anything UT can do if they want to...JMO

I was told on here that Tracy didn't like hitting the road to recruit. How would he know where the top 4 and 5* lineman are if he doesn't like to recruit? Maybe Joe Whitt, Jr might be a better hire.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Georgia and it's new coach might not be what he wants.....guessing it might be more than just money.   Ga can do anything UT can do if they want to...JMO

Could’ve sworn we heard about a scuffle between Pruitt and Rocker on Richt’s staff. Maybe someone can confirm or clarify it.

Archived