Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Wonder what's cooking there......a number of schools need a new HC and have not heard his name connected to any of them yet.  Something we don't know?    

On the other hand, some of the one year wonders are having a struggle at the next level.. ...Fleck, Herman come to mind which might have some folks holding back.   Nebraska needed to make a splash hire after the last one and IMO, had to over-pay to get Frost to come back there. . 

manager-pete-rose-of-the-cincinnati-reds

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Sorry. Just sick and tired of other Au “fans” constantly bickering about the coach. We all may not agree with amount he is getting paid but We need to support him. He could have left for the same or more money at ARK but he chose to stay with auburn. 

Look at what Auburn has done with him as the OC/coach. Some of the best years we have EVER had! We need stability. We need players and he is recruiting at a high level. Gus leaving would have set us back for years, especially since the early signing period is new this year and Starts in 2 weeks. 

This is typical for any fanbase of a big time program that does not have saban, urban and dabo as their coach. There is not going to be unified support across the board. Or even close to it. The best thing about having a great coach as your coach is the peace of mind it brings to you and the program. I am guilty of this as much as anyone but any wrong thing during a game that happens I and others immediately question gus and get upset.

Well, here's to a few years if mediocracy followed by a saving grace season.

Gus isn't worth 7M. 

That being said, not the best year to go a looking, should have gotten his raise with no extension. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah, 2 years in the top 7 is as average as it gets. And who is not beating Saban and #1 teams these days? And every team in the SEC has been to Atlanta 2 of the last 5 years and has a national title appearance. What are we thinking? WDE???!!!

Let's not pretend that 13 was good Gus coaching. It was a good idea using a great athlete as QB mixed with the luck of any coach in history. Imagine what Saturday would have been if we had a coach that a really developed back ups throughout the year instead of running a kid ragged. 

7 hours ago, Ranger12 said:

Glad this is happening. Hard to win championships when you are changing coaches every few years. CGM is has done a decent job, some years better than others obviously. He has won almost 3/4 of his games at Auburn with no .500/losing seasons.  Two SEC CG and one Narional CG appearances in his 5 year tenure on the Plains. Most colleges would not let a coach like that go, especially given how hard it seems to find a good coach these days.

I, for one, would like to see more loyalty out of coaches these days, but I also understand that is asking much from a coach when it seems likw more fanbases, including ours are more disloyal to their coaches than ever. The first sign of struggling, we want to run the coach out of town instead of just letting him, and the team, work through the adversity. 

College football is more diverse than ever. Let’s face it, the WHOLE country tries to emulate Alabama’s success under Saban while also trying to out recruit him. A hard thing to do against a guy like Saban. Our coaching staff has to double-down on that because they are our in-state rivals. Yet, CGM has has found success against Saban in his time at Auburn, so I say we support him as he continues to build on that success. 

What a great post... 

Places like Oklahoma, Texas, VT, etc... Would never have acted like that with Stoops,Brown,Beemer, etc.... If u have a coach that can win the conference, u keep him as long as u can.

5 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Let's not pretend that 13 was good Gus coaching. It was a good idea using a great athlete as QB mixed with the luck of any coach in history. Imagine what Saturday would have been if we had a coach that a really developed back ups throughout the year instead of running a kid ragged. 

If you don't like Gus or think he's a good coach, that's fine, but I think its unfair to attribute luck for an SEC title and a whole season of work. Inheriting a team who had gone 3-9 and winless in the SEC the year before and completely rebuilding their psyche and morale wasn't luck. It was a season long accomplishment of 12 wins and an unprecedented event in college football history.  Whether you guys who believe that like it or not, that SEC championship banner is real and ain't coming down because of one hail Mary. We agree that Kerryon should have not played Saturday. We also agree that he needs to be more trusting of backup players. But his whole body of work at AU has been really good. War Eagle!

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah, 2 years in the top 7 is as average as it gets. And who is not beating Saban and #1 teams these days? And every team in the SEC has been to Atlanta 2 of the last 5 years and has a national title appearance. What are we thinking? WDE???!!!

Well said. We had one hell of a finish. I am amazed we finished as well as we did,. Gus has only been a head coach for 5 years. His resume clearly outshines that of the midget across the state during his first five years. I said after the LSU game that I was not very pleased with the LSU outcome but I wanted to see how the season would play out before joining the "off with his head" crowd. I think we were out of gas after beating GA and bama in succession . Those two games had to take its toll on the team. I think if we had both Kerryon and Petway healthy things might have turned out different. I am glad Gus wants to stay at AU. He is still a young coach and I think his best years are in front of him. It takes absolutely no talent to be a critic, it takes talent to rectify a situation. JMO

WDE

For $7 million a year, I don’t want to see any 8-5 or 7-6 seasons again during his tenure.

5 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

For $7 million a year, I don’t want to see any 8-5 or 7-6 seasons again during his tenure.

Exactly, I don't think each win is worth $1 million

22 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

He is still a young coach and I think his best years are in front of him.

I've mentioned it a couple times over this last week- not that it's new info- but his last year coaching high school ball was saban's first year coaching NFL ball.

He's got some important stuff to clean up, but he's way ahead of schedule. 

Gus had a great year this year, at least in part, for the same reason Bama did- the SEC West was way down this year. Victories against teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss, Arky, and even MS St. would be big most years but not so much this year. I am afraid when these teams get their acts together we will see Gus slip back into his old ways. I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to deny the consistent pattern.

I sure hope he has turned the corner. There was a lot of improvement on offense this year, due to having a QB, but Gus still tends to build the offense around one player and he has to get away from that. He started to do that the latter part of the season, let's hope it continues into next year.

28 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Gus had a great year this year, at least in part, for the same reason Bama did- the SEC West was way down this year. Victories against teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss, Arky, and even MS St. would be big most years but not so much this year.

And the two convincing wins against teams ranked number one in two of the last three games of the regular season were what?

I'm of the opinion that had our AU Tigers gone into the SECCG healthy, or at least as healthy as UGA, and not lost Tre Williams and Carlton Davis to injury during the game that our Tigers would have won and would have a month to heal up everywhere before being one of the teams competing in the playoff.  Bur that's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

And the two convincing wins against teams ranked number one in two of the last three games of the regular season were what?

They were great wins and I give Gus credit for them. I think few would argue that there was a lot of improvement in our offense this year. But you have to look at the total 5-year resume when evaluating Gus as a coach. There is a 6-6 season and a total implosion in 2015 that still has to be considered. I am glad he stayed at Auburn. I do not think he has earned the pay raise and contract extension he got. I will leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

They were great wins and I give Gus credit for them. I think few would argue that there was a lot of improvement in our offense this year. But you have to look at the total 5-year resume when evaluating Gus as a coach. 

The 5 year resume includes taking a team that was winless in the SEC in 2012 and turning that team into champs of the SEC ib 2013,  It includes winning the SEC West this year. It includes two wins in five seasons against Sabear's Alabama. (How many head coaches have beat $abear twice in the last five seasons? The last ten?) Reckon what I'm saying is that the resume isn't perfect but it's not exactly bad.  What candidate with a better resume would we gamble on to replace the current job holder?

The only important thing to me about a resume is which way it's trending.

2013 didn't matter when we were underperforming in 2016.

2016 doesn't matter when we win the West in 2017.

Yes, the last game was a rough one, but I personally see the program trending in a very positive direction. I fail to see prior seasons as anything other than part of the learning curve. It's unfortunate that Auburn had to make such a big cash investment in those lessons, but it will end up being money well spent if we stay this course. IMO.

well, gus got the money.  i think we just all hope that the "on the job training" is nearly complete (since we are married now).

but if gus wants the fan base to love him, he is not off to a good start having his agent play hard ball on money the week of the SEC championship.  had auburn won, there would less hurt feelings.  but they got spanked - risky move.

gus, auburn people are gracious and they are forgiving but they don't often forget.  i doubt a month goes by on any au message board without someone mentioning tubby and his duck hunting issues.  and we loved tubby.

you played hard ball and won but that is not how love is earned.

15 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The only year Bama has beat Gus is when we literally had no defense and no QB. Bama fans gets so mad when you bring that up too. LOL

Why do Bama fans get mad?  Auburn has only been able to field a defense & a QB strong enough to beat them 3 out of the last 10 years.  

I don't agree that he is worth 7 million...But, glad he's back. We could have worse. 

According to AL.com, Gus is now the 4th-highest paid coach in the country, which puts him ahead of coaches like Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer. I am glad Gus is staying, but I don't see him deserving of being paid more than coaches like these. I don't see it at all. And we are not even talking about his buyout, are we?

We had a great year. Sure the SEC was down but we were way ahead of the curve. We won because we were way superior not because those teams were that bad. Some were but most were not. 

That being said I love how Arkansas fans wanted Gus and now that he isn't going they all said they never wanted him anyways. Hilarious!

2 SEC teams in the playoff.  I hate to see what its gonna be like when the SEC is up.  Scary!  

The West was still very strong in my opinion and you had 1 dominant team in the East.  The rest of the East was trash though.  

10 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

What a great post... 

Places like Oklahoma, Texas, VT, etc... Would never have acted like that with Stoops,Brown,Beemer, etc.... If u have a coach that can win the conference, u keep him as long as u can.

Amen!

Archived