Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Um, I’m glad he’s staying. I meant other people here.

Sorry. Just sick and tired of other Au “fans” constantly bickering about the coach. We all may not agree with amount he is getting paid but We need to support him. He could have left for the same or more money at ARK but he chose to stay with auburn. 

Look at what Auburn has done with him as the OC/coach. Some of the best years we have EVER had! We need stability. We need players and he is recruiting at a high level. Gus leaving would have set us back for years, especially since the early signing period is new this year and Starts in 2 weeks. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

Is it too much for better passing concepts and a legit passing attack? Still have not seen anything that gives me hope on that front. When we get behind and have to pass the offense looks very ugly. He has been incapable of fixing this so far.

All we need is more player development for the number 2's and three's. We need a mid-field passing game. I will watch Gus, Lord willing, evolve into a better coach than he is now. He is a better coach than Sumlin, Bielema, McElwain, Muschamp, Orgeron, Fisher, Etc. He is a upper tier coach, that makes hard headed mistakes along the way, but seems to learn from them. He won't know whether I support him or not, because I am a nobody in the Auburn football world. I am a sidewalk fan. I went to a seminary for the ministry. I am not a Auburn graduate. I have made no monetary investment in the program other than buying a hat or shirt at Wal-Mart or a sporting goods store, and going to an occasional game over the last 50 years. In response to the CBS article, about Gus wanting more love and appreciation, I would like to say, "Gus, I love you as a brother". LOL War Eagle!

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is it too much for better passing concepts and a legit passing attack? Still have not seen anything that gives me hope on that front. When we get behind and have to pass the offense looks very ugly. He has been incapable of fixing this so far.

Yes and no.  His offense has never been mistaken for an air raid offense. That said we have used more routes and combinations this year than in previous years. Hopefully another full off-season with OC and QB will bring about more.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am confused. The passing game and the play calling in general for the first GA game and the AL game were the best i have seen in years. 

12 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

We need an experienced WR coach. Love KB but not as our WR coach.

I think Gus needs coaches he can trust and is loyal to him at all times. Gus needs to make ALL coaching decisions. Ask Chia, he knows how important loyalty is. 

43 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Maybe people don't like the fact that he and his wife "prayed" about the move to Memphis and really are thriving. MEMPHIS. Not rumor. There have been more legitimate baggage names thrown around lately, even for Auburn on this board repeatedly, that perhaps Norvell has gotten buried in the mud. Not everyone cares about character.

P.S. Arkansas is zeroing in. We may have the "rumors" laid to rest across the field next fall.

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/team-norvell-from-mom-to-mentors-to-wife-maria-tiger-coach-has-had-plenty-of-help-along-the-way-3b74-392081301.html

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/dec/8/memphis-tigers-football-hitches-hopes-to-young-mike-norvell/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-razorbacks-football-coach-gus-malzahn-mike-norvell/amp

I was referring to the rumors of some issues with gambling. That's what I'd read about.

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes and no.  His offense has never been mistaken for an air raid offense. That said we have used more routes and combinations this year than in previous years. Hopefully another full off-season with OC and QB will bring about more.

Def not in the SEC. Some of the worst passing games in Auburn history has happened with gus in control of the offense. I will never forget the home game we lost to kentucky in 09. I doubt Chris Todd had 50 yards that game. How the heck did he produce 4k and 5k yard passers in tulsa? Was it the same passing concepts he uses now? I am seriously asking. I have no clue. It is like when he got to Auburn he forgot how to put up big passing numbers and how to pass the ball. Especially when we face SEC teams. That is true it looked better A LITTLE because of what you stated but man so little imagination. Gus hates the middle of the field like hal mumme hates a running game! lol

42 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am confused. The passing game and the play calling in general for the first GA game and the AL game were the best i have seen in years. 

It was better. Yes agreed. Still so much to be desired. Especially with the talent we have. If we do not pass more and have big passing numbers with stidham I doubt we ever see it under Gus. We will not have a better passer than stidham. He is very gifted and accurate.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

What? The elite? There were few if any elite SEC west teams while tubs was here.

Almost forgot, while we're on the subject of weak SEC teams, Gus literally got a lucrative contract for winning two home games against Georgia and Alabama. We shall see but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if both Georgia and Alabama lose their respective bowl games convincingly.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was better. Yes agreed. Still so much to be desired. Especially with the talent we have. If we do not pass more and have big passing numbers with stidham I doubt we ever see it under Gus. We will not have a better passer than stidham. He is very gifted and accurate.

Gwill, I agree. Still, Stidham still put up 2827 passing yards this season. If he throws for more than 200 against UCF, Stidham would be the first passer since Dameyune Craig in 1997 to post 3k passing yards this season. 

And we're in our first year of Lindsey's offense. Stidham finally returned to college football action after a year hiatus. I'm curious what Stidham can do in Year 2 once the offensive line gel next year.

3 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Almost forgot, while we're on the subject of weak SEC teams, Gus literally got a lucrative contract for winning two home games against Georgia and Alabama. We shall see but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if both Georgia and Alabama lose their respective bowl games convincingly.

"convincingly" ?   Guess I would be very surprised.  Otherwise, all the teams are good and should be well matched.

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Gwill, I agree. Still, Stidham still put up 2827 passing yards this season. If he throws for more than 200 against UCF, Stidham would be the first passer since Dameyune Craig in 1997 to post 3k passing yards this season. 

And we're in our first year of Lindsey's offense. Stidham finally returned to college football action after a year hiatus. I'm curious what Stidham can do in Year 2 once the offensive line gel next year.

O fam I am not worried about stidham at all. I do not lay any of his flaws at his feet. I lay it all at the feet of very questionable player development on the offensive side of the ball at the QB and WR position since Gus has been head coach. We seem to never get the very most out of our talent and use all of our weapons to the best of their abilities. Haha YES! Our history or lack thereof of big time passing numbers deeply pains a passing lover like myself!!!

JS needs to watch every minute of Baker Mayfield’s footwork in the pocket. It was his 1st season in this offense so there were growing pains. I am expecting him to improve leaps and bounds 

9 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Have to gel quickly with a lot of new faces. We open with U-Dub. 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

Have to get quickly with a lot of new faces. We open with U-Dub. 

I'm hoping we'll spend some time in offseason incorporating short passing routes like slants, curls, and shovel passes to help our new offensive line out early in the game and season.

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Have to get quickly with a lot of new faces. We open with U-Dub. 

No shade at all or a shot at gustav like people think BUT Chris Petersen is one of the premiere coaches and developer of talent in the game. NFL is now littered with guys from washington just in his short time there.  He has a great reputation in games like this. The King Slayer.

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

I'm hoping we'll spend some time in offseason incorporating short passing routes like slants, curls, and shovel passes to help our new offensive line out early in the game and season.

I have been hoping for this for every season under gus friend! haha. Still waiting but not giving up hope.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

No shade at all or a shot at gustav like people think BUT Chris Petersen is one of the premiere coaches and developer of talent in the game. NFL is now littered with guys from washington just in his short time there.  He has a great reputation in games like this. The King Slayer.

We beat them in talent alone, but early season big time matchups can be weird. 

OK, I am on record after the LSU loss saying that I had stepped off the Gus Bus. A fella can certainly reconsider and change his mind and so I have done. Gus is our coach for the foreseeable future and I believe he has grown in his coaching abilities. Therefore, I have stepped back on the bus and taken a seat. I am glad Coach Malzahn is still our head coach. WDE!

:wareagle:

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

they have not favored us recently! that is for sure haha.

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

They have 16 seniors this year, and they'll be returning a lot of talent players including Browning (assuming he does not declare for draft), so this will be a marquee matchup--plus we'll have a massive "home" advantage. Still too early to talk about it but not too early, you know :yes:

Archived