Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Am hoping that USCe and Florida can start diluting some of Georgia’s SEC East lead and make their lives miserable again.

I think it will happen.  Georgia took advantage, to no fault of their own, of a very, very weak SEC East.  IMO the sec east has hit their low point , but should be trending upward in the next several years.  I’m expecting Fulmer to make positive changesthe in UT as well.

45 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

According to AL.com, Gus is now the 4th-highest paid coach in the country, which puts him ahead of coaches like Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer. I am glad Gus is staying, but I don't see him deserving of being paid more than coaches like these. I don't see it at all. And we are not even talking about his buyout, are we?

It just seems clear to me that our choices were offer the raise/extension @$7m (+or-) and maintain continuity or do what Florida did and go after a “Dan .Mullen” @$6m. Simple choice given his recent achievements. I abhor changing coaches for the sake of changing coaches. JMO

3 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I think it will happen.  Georgia took advantage, to no fault of their own, of a very, very weak SEC East.  IMO the sec east has hit their low point , but should be trending upward in the next several years.  I’m expecting Fulmer to make positive changesthe in UT as well.

True. That just illustrates how “bad” the SEC East as I completely forget about Tennessee.

we should have given him a raise but not an extension. he was already locked through 2020 right? lets try to get 2 in a row good season for a change before we amend the contracts.

i just hate nowadays when they finally fulfill their promise of winning(their baseline job) they then get an automatic raise. but what about the last 3 years of losing to our rivals, how bout deductions then.

feel like there is this underground "unspoken" union of sorts that coaches can use to bounce off one another to leverage these ridiculous contracts. 

anyway the following years after big contract changes we end up sucking so I guess we will have to revisit this in a year.

This should kill some of the negative recruiting our staff has to combat with other schools saying Gus is on his way out. Who was it, Kevin Steele I think he said one of the hardest things they have to fight on the recruiting trail is how AU fans are so negative regarding the staff/Gus which gives our rivals ammo. 

Hopefully this puts a damper on that and now we can be sure to see Gus' training all the way through. I hope he continues learning and applying those lessons and doesn't get comfortable with his big contract now. You gotta think someone in the AD has told him about certain deficiencies like the pass game and rotating running backs or not having enough check downs built in but hopefully he figures out that it's hurting our and his chances to win if he doesn't correct these issues.

19 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I was officially off of the Gus bus after the Lsu debacle. I have been one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this site. Gus did a remarkable job of coaching this team up to the point of knocking hard on the door of the final four dance.

The game yesterday was disappointing to say the least. KJ was injured and just did not have what was needed to win the game. I think this is a smart move with securing Gus for the foreseeable future. With his new contract, much expectations will be placed on him.  I like our chances with Gus, I honestly do. Let's stand behind Gus and let the good times roll!

and Remember the Assistants!

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

Dilly Dilly and then some!

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I am glad Malzahn is staying.  

I'm only glad because its slim pickin's for coaches right now.  He failed to exercise depth at the RB position and it caught up to him and laid another egg in a big game.

I like Gus. But no. Not 7 years. Are we still paying Chiz?  I'm not for giving someone 7 years of anything. I hope the ink had not dried.  Pay me Millions of $ a year for 7 years to do anything. I will start working on it yr 5 to keep it coming. Why not take a year or two off and just run us into the ground? HUNGERY coaches is what we want. Day in day out worried about their butt unemployed is what I want. 7 Years? ARE YOU CRAZY? what for beating Bama? you get 7 years of my money?

I don't like it. Nothing on Gus. I don't like anyone that gets 7 years free. Did we do it to keep him from Arky? lol. Hell if he wanted to go let him go for Gods sake it would have proven my point! I LIKE Gus.  I do I like Gus. But he has not earned 7 years at all.  3 MAX .

18 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

I would have taken Jimbo Fisher in a heartbeat over Malzahn.  

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Okay, I’ll rephrase. Who would you prefer to coach starting next season that hasn’t already been scooped up? Did you want JF after we beat bama and UGA?

18 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You'd have been in the minority after the shenanigans Jimbo pulled with Mr. Crablegs

History rewrite.

System glitch???

Why the hell did anyone think he was dumb enough to go to leave? Someone please explain what we get in this contract in return. Please make me feel better. Stipulations that we get better or something?

You give a 7 year contract to someone that has been honest "Hit and miss."

Guys he s*** the bed in the SEC CHAMP game with a team we beat like drum. I feel we did this to keep him? from Arky?  Hells Bells! Let him go if he is that silly!

Sure give him a raise and a few more years at AU. That's wonderland to what he would be lookin at Arky.

I fear a 7 year contract may make him "comfortable"  I want my coach with a fire under his ass right now. Not some 7 year plan to pull it out in the end.

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Not the first time it’s happened today. 

Happened before today, as well.

54 minutes ago, norcuron said:

Why the hell did anyone think he was dumb enough to go to leave? Someone please explain what we get in this contract in return. Please make me feel better. Stipulations that we get better or something?

You give a 7 year contract to someone that has been honest "Hit and miss."

Guys he s*** the bed in the SEC CHAMP game with a team we beat like drum. I feel we did this to keep him? from Arky?  Hells Bells! Let him go if he is that silly!

Sure give him a raise and a few more years at AU. That's wonderland to what he would be lookin at Arky.

I fear a 7 year contract may make him "comfortable"  I want my coach with a fire under his ass right now. Not some 7 year plan to pull it out in the end.

I have been hearing today about why  Clemson and Alabama are so highly regarded bc of their injuries to key players that hurt them in some games and gave them a mulligan. Yet you say here that malzahn should have beat Georgia like a drum again without their best player healthy and then losing three defensive players in the game. Never mind that the team was worn out.  The fact that they kept them at number 7 shows that people who actually get it and understand how it works did understand that they were asked to do the near impossible.  

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You can't spell Assistants without Titans?

comes out asss?

or did I do that right?

51 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I have been hearing today about why  Clemson and Alabama are so highly regarded bc of their injuries to key players that hurt them in some games and gave them a mulligan. Yet you say here that malzahn should have beat Georgia like a drum again without their best player healthy and then losing three defensive players in the game. Never mind that the team was worn out.  The fact that they kept them at number 7 shows that people who actually get it and understand how it works did understand that they were asked to do the near impossible.  

The adversity Auburn has endured! I love my Tigers with all my heart. Sacrificing  yourself to take down 2   #1's in the CFP standings in just 3 weeks. You took your licks fighting and beating both of them. Then ya had to go back to fight beaten and battered they went out there and fought.

6 hours ago, norcuron said:

I like Gus. But no. Not 7 years. Are we still paying Chiz?  I'm not for giving someone 7 years of anything. I hope the ink had not dried.  Pay me Millions of $ a year for 7 years to do anything. I will start working on it yr 5 to keep it coming. Why not take a year or two off and just run us into the ground? HUNGERY coaches is what we want. Day in day out worried about their butt unemployed is what I want. 7 Years? ARE YOU CRAZY? what for beating Bama? you get 7 years of my money?

I don't like it. Nothing on Gus. I don't like anyone that gets 7 years free. Did we do it to keep him from Arky? lol. Hell if he wanted to go let him go for Gods sake it would have proven my point! I LIKE Gus.  I do I like Gus. But he has not earned 7 years at all.  3 MAX .

Gus earned 7 years. He is a fierce competitor and hates losing far more than most of us could ever understand. We should win 9 or more games next season and beyond with the talent and coaching staff on board. I am excited about where the program is going. I was upset like the rest of us after the Lsu game. However, Gus took over and coached the best football he has done since he arrived at Auburn when Chizik was our coach. I am not saying that you should blindly get on the Gus bus, but give the man a chance to keep the ball rolling.

I've kept seeing the word STABILITY thrown out on here and how much it means for our program to have. Yes it's important to have stability, but what's just as important as stability is CONSISTENCY..................  That's something we still don't have and haven't had since Tuberville was winning 9+ games a year and beating Alabama 6 years in a row. 

You don't get stability or at least the kind you pay $7 million for unless you have consistency first. Unfortunately we've haven't had consistent success under Gus. Our success has been up  and down and once every couple of years under Gus. 

Now that Gus is making $7 million a year, 8-4 is no longer going to be excusable. Gus is going to have to do something he has yet to do, and that's sustain success and not drop back down to 8-4 after a 10+ win season. Gus is also going to have to prove that he can develop a QB without having to get them from JUCO or transfer in. Gus has not taken a high school QB and turned them into a consistent starter in all the time he's coached at Auburn. The best seasons we've had with Gus as OC and HC have been with JUCO or transfer QB's.

Archived