Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

Can you have consistency without stability? Think of the many unforseeable obstacles this team and coaches have faced.  I think in order to have consistency, you must have good quality depth, so therefore, it stands to reason, you need to have stability in your coaching staff and not be constantly changing coaches out. Especially the head coach, who provides the philosophy and vision for the team.  The players like and respect him and their position coaches. We didn't need the mass turnover.  That stability will provide the consistency we are all craving.  

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Can you have consistency without stability? Think of the many unforseeable obstacles this team and coaches have faced.  I think in order to have consistency, you must have good quality depth, so therefore, it stands to reason, you need to have stability in your coaching staff and not be constantly changing coaches out. Especially the head coach, who provides the philosophy and vision for the team.  The players like and respect him and their position coaches. We didn't need the mass turnover.  That stability will provide the consistency we are all craving.  

Gus has had 5 years to prove he's capable of consistency and he hasn't done it........ We've had what, 4 straight top 10 recruiting classes? Gus has had time to build some depth. This is Gus's team. They've all been recruited by Gus and his staff. If you want to build depth, then you develop the talent you've recruited. 

Look at a lot of other schools, when there's some consistent success, there's usually stability to go along with it. You can't be up and down. That's what leads to changing staff and hiring new coordinators which disrupts the stability.

When you're getting paid $7 million, excuses are no longer going to be tolerated. Gus thinks he'd an elite coach and wants to be paid like he's an elite coach. Then  he needs to start producing elite results and consistently winning 9+ games each year.

Walmark thought he was an elite coach. We have an elite team, and I'm glad he's staying. But I wouldn't use "conistency" in his defense. I am admittedly curious what a fresh set of coaching eyes could've done with this roster though. Not bashing. Just saying.

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I think the point is they go hand and hand. We got stability . The coach has been here since 2013. He has a raise and an extension. Now it’s time for consistent results. 

Another thing I keep seeing is the rebuttal in regards to what other schools are paying their coaches . Let me tell you , do not be naive and think these other schools will not hold these coaches accountable . In fact, I would argue the pressure will be higher for both Dan Mullen and Jimbo. These schools will expect those coaches to win out of the gate. Losing to FSU and UGA next will be unacceptable based on the pay rate. Winning 8 games will be unacceptable to the folks down at college station . The rate has gone up. Expectations will go with it.

stability, consistency,,, ok,, I get it. he's the man now and has my full support although i don't think he earned a raise. i understand we were beholden to the circumstances going on elsewhere in the college football silly season and the stars aligned in Gus's favor. Regardless, i'll  never forget the way we got extorted  by him and sexton the week before the sec champ game,,, and it appears he was busier preparing his new deal than the team. now that he can afford Denny's,,,what happens if he gets fat and happy and doesn't even go recruit in places like prattville and are missing out on future nfl prospects in our back yard as tubbs did? Are we SOL,,, grin and bear it i guess? 

I watched the memphis ucf game! Unbelievable timing routes the Ucf receivers run and the quarterback puts ball on the money! memphis was not far behind w/ amazing little flips the receiver would run underneath and catch! hopefully gus learns something from watching their game film. we don't get to see anything like that at auburn. cox was so open on that wheel route for a touchdown if stidham had seen him earlier. unfortunately that's the norm. stifham has a great arm but seems slow recognizing and finding his open receivers as well as holde on to the ball way to long; he has never seemed to have that 3 sec clock set in his head? on the positive side since chip is here i don't think gus can coach him "down" like he's done w/ some of the talent we've had so he will get better. Chip is no doubt a good-great coach. Ok,,Gus is getting a little better every year,,, i'm willing to give him credit! (not 7 mill/yr credit though!). war eagle! 

19 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

When you're getting paid $7 million, excuses are no longer going to be tolerated.

:laugh: 

Not from around here?

Give Gus & staff a great QB, and we win 9-11 games on a consistent basis. Last year we had a marginal QB when healthy gave us 6 wins in a row. When SW went down, no QB resulted in an 8-5 season. When Gus has the right stuff, he can beat anybody and proved this for 2017.

I think JS is coming back as well as KP. KJ could be 50/50 or even better. With M. Willis having a year under his belt and the new QB, Gatewood, we will be in excellent shape for 2018.  With Asa Martin and Kam Martin, we have a formidable duo and having KJ & KP back will have us with the best RB stable in the SEC.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Give Gus & staff a great QB, and we win 9-11 games on a consistent basis. Last year we had a marginal QB when healthy gave us 6 wins in a row. When SW went down, no QB resulted in an 8-5 season. When Gus has the right stuff, he can beat anybody and proved this for 2017.

I think JS is coming back as well as KP. KJ could be 50/50 or even better. With M. Willis having a year under his belt and the new QB, Gatewood, we will be in excellent shape for 2018.  With Asa Martin and Kam Martin, we have a formidable duo and having KJ & KP back will have us with the best RB stable in the SEC.

hey doc,,, i'm w/ you about Gus doing well w/ a good qb. Why didn't we have one or several identified and developed last couple years? No offense to Sean White,,dudes tough as hell,,  but this is the SEC,,,why in the world would we have "put all our eggs in one basket w/ a kid that weighs 160 lbs sopping wet? Secondly why after you've  written a nice little book and are hailed as an "offensive guru" w/ dual threat quarterbacks (and won a nat'l champ w/ one and came close w/ another,) would you even consider recruiting quarterbacks who can not run at all!  I don't wanna hear the typical "there were none available" either; They are all over the south w/ a potential candidate on at least one football or basketball team in every county in south alabama/georgia; they just need to located and more "importantly" developed.  Fortunately he stumbled upon nick marshall but thats not why he was here. Pettway was another accidental discovery. I'm glad to have malik as our #2 and excited about gatewood. Nevertheless i still remain dumbfuzzled by his lack of recruiting a quartrback that fits w/in his system. I'm thrilled Lindsey is here to take over the quarterbacks and keep Gus away from them.  I hope we've graduated from those level of mistakes and hope its been part of that "gus maturing as a coach thing"? At 7 mill he needs to!  I'm optimistic about 2018 if we can get that offensive line nailed down and those 2 princes ready to protect king stidham!  Receivers and routes will get better. Steele will have it handled on defense,,, it sure is nice knowing that side of the ball is handled. Maybe gus can fire himself from special teams and horton too and try something different and we're in great shape! 

15 minutes ago, div3 said:

hey doc,,, i'm w/ you about Gus doing well w/ a good qb. Why didn't we have one or several identified and developed last couple years? No offense to Sean White,,dudes tough as hell,,  but this is the SEC,,,why in the world would we have "put all our eggs in one basket w/ a kid that weighs 160 lbs sopping wet? Secondly why after you've  written a nice little book and are hailed as an "offensive guru" w/ dual threat quarterbacks (and won a nat'l champ w/ one and came close w/ another,) would you even consider recruiting quarterbacks who can not run at all!  I don't wanna hear the typical "there were none available" either; They are all over the south w/ a potential candidate on at least one football or basketball team in every county in south alabama/georgia; they just need to located and more "importantly" developed.  Fortunately he stumbled upon nick marshall but thats not why he was here. Pettway was another accidental discovery. I'm glad to have malik as our #2 and excited about gatewood. Nevertheless i still remain dumbfuzzled by his lack of recruiting a quartrback that fits w/in his system. I'm thrilled Lindsey is here to take over the quarterbacks and keep Gus away from them.  I hope we've graduated from those level of mistakes and hope its been part of that "gus maturing as a coach thing"? At 7 mill he needs to!  I'm optimistic about 2018 if we can get that offensive line nailed down and those 2 princes ready to protect king stidham!  Receivers and routes will get better. Steele will have it handled on defense,,, it sure is nice knowing that side of the ball is handled. Maybe gus can fire himself from special teams and horton too and try something different and we're in great shape! 

Well a and m just paid 75 mil for a coach who did not have a QB backup identified this year when his first choice went down and needless to say their results reflect that. Gus is the head coach. He should not be “kept away” from anything. And he hired Steele so he’s responsible for that. Geez

I do think Gus' better days as a HC at Auburn are ahead of him. He has recruited better players to Auburn even better than Coach Dye. Coach Tuberville brought in far more 3 star players and was able to coach them up as good as any coach could do.

In the future, I am going to be less critical of Gus and let him coach the best he knows how to. He is a tough competitor that hates losing as much as little nicky. Saban is in the downside of his career and in likely 3-4 years will retire.  He will be extremely hard to replace, and there will be a drop off to where bammer is winning 9 games or less.

I see Gus following Tubs footprints with winning multiple Iron Bowls down the road. We have made a huge investment in Gus, and I think the potential of him becoming an elite coach in the SEC is there. Yes, he will mess up here and there, but all teams do this sooner of later.  I think Clemson will put the throttle on bammer with a score similar to what we laid on them. It is galling to see bammer in the playoffs, and I honestly do not think they deserve to be there. They will not win out and will go home after Clemson and pout like only bammers do.

This deal was agreed to before the game. This is very good for AU football. Gus has a lot of talent and is a very good coach. We had the SEC Offensive player of year playing at about 40% Saturday and I believe the game still turns out different if we don't fumble on that 3rd and 6 when we were about to score already up 7-0. That swung the momentum big time and we never regained it. Very excited for our future and it is very ?. 

Just now, austudnt23 said:

This deal was agreed to before the game. This is very good for AU football. Gus has a lot of talent and is a very good coach. We had the SEC Offensive player of year playing at about 40% Saturday and I believe the game still turns out different if we don't fumble on that 3rd and 6 when we were about to score already up 7-0. That swung the momentum big time and we never regained it. Very excited for our future and it is very ?. 

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I only wish it was announced before the game then. I truly believe the outcome would of been different.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I only wish it was announced before the game then. I truly believe the outcome would of been different.

Yeah, I agree. I thought it was a distraction for the team. Some players were asked this, and they said that they were hoping that Gus stays after the game! I think that's on their minds during the weekend.

Just now, AUDynasty said:

Yeah, I agree. I thought it was a distraction for the team. Some players were asked this, and they said that they were hoping that Gus stays after the game! I think that's on their minds during the weekend.

in 2013 his new deal was announced the night before the sec title game I believe. Why not just follow that same blueprint?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

in 2013 his new deal was announced the night before the sec title game I believe. Why not just follow that same blueprint?

So, a 52-point swing from 2013 and now!

I guess the deal was never finalized and signed and they went by verbal commitment agreeing they will make a deal after the game? :dunno:

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

So, a 52-point swing from 2013 and now!

I guess the deal was never finalized and signed and they went by verbal commitment agreeing they will make a deal after the game? :dunno:

I will forever believe that cost us the game. That was not a true 28-7 game. We beat ourselves with all the miscues in their territory.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

First there would have been no time to make announcement and 2nd I promise players knew.

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Thanks for the post--I agree this is fabulous news for Gus! I think he's going to win Auburn multiple national championships before his time is up!

I'm little concerned with this number underlined and in bold. You may be offering a guess, but if he's really at 40%, then why didn't we go with a Plan B for the game? If putting in injured Sean White last year has taught us anything, it's to prepare other players and making game plans and adjustments that put backups in the best position to win.

I understand KP is out of our control, but to beat the dead horse again, KMart, Miller, or even Barrett would be at mininum helpful. 

6 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Thanks for the post--I agree this is fabulous news for Gus! I think he's going to win Auburn multiple national championships before his time is up!

I'm little concerned with this number underlined and in bold. You may be offering a guess, but if he's really at 40%, then why didn't we go with a Plan B for the game? If putting in injured Sean White last year has taught us anything, it's to prepare other players and making game plans and adjustments that put backups in the best position to win.

I understand KP is out of our control, but to beat the dead horse again, KMart, Miller, or even Barrett would be at mininum helpful. 

I think KJ was our most effective option. When I say 40 percent I mean by end of game. He started around 75 which is out best option. UGA took hits on the shoulder which I think need to be sent to SEC.  Kam played some though as did DB.

And now the piggies have to settle for Chad Morris (Probably) and they are steaming mad, indirectly blaming Gus.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And now the piggies have to settle for Chad Morris (Probably) and they are steaming mad, indirectly blaming Gus.

giphy.gif

Gus played them like a fiddle. He never wanted to leave, but he did want us to show a commitment which we stepped up and did. He knows how much talent we have and our future is very bright. He loves AU also.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

Gus played them like a fiddle. He never wanted to leave, but he did want us to show a commitment which we stepped up and did. He knows how much talent we have and our future is very bright. He loves AU also.

I hope that means facility upgrades as well!!!!!!! It is a long time coming.

Archived