Refute these accomplishments

Farmer Brown

Jobs and the economy

• Passage of the tax reform bill providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate.
  • Increase of the GDP above 3 percent.
  • Creation of 1.7 million new jobs, cutting unemployment to 4.1 percent.
  • Saw the Dow Jones reach record highs.
  • A rebound in economic confidence to a 17-year high.
  • A new executive order to boost apprenticeships.
  • A move to boost computer sciences in Education Department programs.
  • Prioritizing women-owned businesses for some $500 million in SBA loans.

Killing job-stifling regulations

• Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one creates. He beat that big and cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion.
  • Signed 15 congressional regulatory cuts.
  • Withdrew from the Obama-era Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of environmental regulations.
  • Signed an Executive Order cutting the time for infrastructure permit approvals.
  • Eliminated an Obama rule on streams that Trump felt unfairly targeted the coal industry.

Fair trade

• Made good on his campaign promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
  • Opened up the North American Free Trade Agreement for talks to better the deal for the U.S.
  • Worked to bring companies back to the U.S., and companies like Toyota, Mazda, Broadcom Limited, and Foxconn announced plans to open U.S. plants.
  • Worked to promote the sale of U.S products abroad.
  • Made enforcement of U.S. trade laws, especially those that involve national security, a priority.
  • Ended Obama’s deal with Cuba.

Boosting U.S. energy dominance

• The Department of Interior, which has led the way in cutting regulations, opened plans to lease 77 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling.
  • Trump traveled the world to promote the sale and use of U.S. energy.
  • Expanded energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL Pipeline snubbed by Obama.
  • Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Obama’s Clean Power Plan.
  • EPA is reconsidering Obama rules on methane emissions.

Protecting the U.S. homeland

• Laid out new principles for reforming immigration and announced plan to end "chain migration," which lets one legal immigrant to bring in dozens of family members.
  • Made progress to build the border wall with Mexico.
  • Ended the Obama-era “catch and release” of illegal immigrants.
  • Boosted the arrests of illegals inside the U.S.
  • Doubled the number of counties participating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement charged with deporting illegals.
  • Removed 36 percent more criminal gang members than in fiscal 2016.
  • Started the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival program.
  • Ditto for other amnesty programs like Deferred Action for Parents of Americans.
  • Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars.
  • Added some 100 new immigration judges.

Protecting communities

• Justice announced grants of $98 million to fund 802 new cops.
  • Justice worked with Central American nations to arrest and charge 4,000 MS-13 members.
  • Homeland rounded up nearly 800 MS-13 members, an 83 percent one-year increase.
  • Signed three executive orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.
  • Attorney General Jeff Sessions created new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crimes.

Accountability

• Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
  • Ordered ethical standards including a lobbying ban.
  • Called for a comprehensive plan to reorganize the executive branch.
  • Ordered an overhaul to modernize the digital government.
  • Called for a full audit of the Pentagon and its spending.

Combatting opioids

• First, the president declared a Nationwide Public Health Emergency on opioids.
  • His Council of Economic Advisors played a role in determining that overdoses are underreported by as much as 24 percent.
  • The Department of Health and Human Services laid out a new five-point strategy to fight the crisis.
  • Justice announced it was scheduling fentanyl substances as a drug class under the Controlled Substances Act.
  • Justice started a fraud crackdown, arresting more than 400.
  • The administration added $500 million to fight the crisis.
  • On National Drug Take Back Day, the Drug Enforcement Agency collected 456 tons.

Protecting life

• In his first week, Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy that blocks some $9 billion in foreign aid being used for abortions.
  • Worked with Congress on a bill overturning an Obama regulation that blocked states from defunding abortion providers.
  • Published guidance to block Obamacare money from supporting abortion.

Helping veterans

• Signed the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act to allow senior officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs to fire failing employees and establish safeguards to protect whistleblowers.
  • Signed the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act.
  • Signed the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, to provide support.
  • Signed the VA Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to authorize $2.1 billion in additional funds for the Veterans Choice Program.
  • Created a VA hotline.
  • Had the VA launch an online “Access and Quality Tool,” providing veterans with a way to access wait time and quality of care data.
  • With VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin, announced three initiatives to expand access to healthcare for veterans using telehealth technology.

Promoting peace through strength

• Directed the rebuilding of the military and ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review.
  • Worked to increase defense spending.
  • Empowered military leaders to “seize the initiative and win,” reducing the need for a White House sign off on every mission.
  • Directed the revival of the National Space Council to develop space war strategies.
  • Elevated U.S. Cyber Command into a major warfighting command.
  • Withdrew from the U.N. Global Compact on Migration, which Trump saw as a threat to borders.
  • Imposed a travel ban on nations that lack border and anti-terrorism security.
  • Saw ISIS lose virtually all of its territory.
  • Pushed for strong action against global outlaw North Korea and its development of nuclear weapons.
  • Announced a new Afghanistan strategy that strengthens support for U.S. forces at war with terrorism.
  • NATO increased support for the war in Afghanistan.
  • Approved a new Iran strategy plan focused on neutralizing the country’s influence in the region.
  • Ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airbase used in a chemical weapons attack.
  • Prevented subsequent chemical attacks by announcing a plan to detect them better and warned of future strikes if they were used.
  • Ordered new sanctions on the dictatorship in Venezuela.

Restoring confidence in and respect for America

• Trump won the release of Americans held abroad, often using his personal relationships with world leaders.
  • Made good on a campaign promise to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
  • Conducted a historic 12-day trip through Asia, winning new cooperative deals. On the trip, he attended three regional summits to promote American interests.
  • He traveled to the Middle East and Europe to build new relationships with leaders.
  • Traveled to Poland and on to Germany for the G-20 meeting where he pushed again for funding of women entrepreneurs.

image.png

Not all of these are "accomplishments" as you put them.  For example, the Paris climate accord pull out is not a popular move among the majority of Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/05/post-abc-poll-nearly-6-in-10-oppose-trump-scrapping-paris-agreement

Also, some of this isn't as good as you make it out to be.  For example, the job growth at 1.9M is the lowest in years.  Even if you throw out September due to the hurricanes, the economy still created jobs at a slower rate than under Obama for the last several years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNewsResearch/status/949277919779663873?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-25632727902824583415.ampproject.net%2F1515614886756%2Fframe.html

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/08/569451704/fact-check-president-trumps-record-on-jobs-and-stocks

I'm not going point by point on your post because, well, I have things to do.  But hopefully you see my point.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not all of these are "accomplishments" as you put them.  For example, the Paris climate accord pull out is not a popular move among the majority of Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/05/post-abc-poll-nearly-6-in-10-oppose-trump-scrapping-paris-agreement

Also, some of this isn't as good as you make it out to be.  For example, the job growth at 1.9M is the lowest in years.  Even if you throw out September due to the hurricanes, the economy still created jobs at a slower rate than under Obama for the last several years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNewsResearch/status/949277919779663873?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-25632727902824583415.ampproject.net%2F1515614886756%2Fframe.html

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/08/569451704/fact-check-president-trumps-record-on-jobs-and-stocks

I'm not going point by point on your post because, well, I have things to do.  But hopefully you see my point.

The WAPO is about as credible to me as Soap Opera Digest. There are too many accomplishments for you to deal with. Are these things  bad because they were accomplished without a democrat in the White House? Just asking if you can acknowledge one single, positive accomplishment out of that list, just one?

16 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

The WAPO is about as credible to me as Soap Opera Digest. There are too many accomplishments for you to deal with. Are these things  bad because they were accomplished without a democrat in the White House? Just asking if you can acknowledge one single, positive accomplishment out of that list, just one?

Just because you don't like WAPO doesn't mean the poll or their reporting as a whole isn't credible.  That's your bias showing as they are factually accurate 99% of the time.  And when they are not, they retract or correct quickly, as all good houses of journalism do.  And there are multiple polls from various sources showing the same thing.

As for your other question, if a dem pulled us out of the Paris Climate deal, rammed through country changing tax reform without committee review or scoring, worked to stop net neutrality, etc, I'd be just as pissed.  If you must know, had the Republicans put up someone like John Kasich, they had my vote in 2016.  Still, you requested a list of what I think are positive from your original post.  So here are several that stood out.  Merry Christmas.

• Justice worked with Central American nations to arrest and charge 4,000 MS-13 members.
  • Homeland rounded up nearly 800 MS-13 members, an 83 percent one-year increase.
  • Signed three executive orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.
  • Signed the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act to allow senior officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs to fire failing employees and establish safeguards to protect whistleblowers.
  • Signed the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, to provide support.
  • Signed the VA Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to authorize $2.1 billion in additional funds for the Veterans Choice Program.
  • Created a VA hotline.
  • Had the VA launch an online “Access and Quality Tool,” providing veterans with a way to access wait time and quality of care data.
  • With VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin, announced three initiatives to expand access to healthcare for veterans using telehealth technology.
  • Created a VA hotline.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Just because you don't like WAPO doesn't mean the poll or their reporting as a whole isn't credible.  That's your bias showing as they are factually accurate 99% of the time.  And when they are not, they retract or correct quickly, as all good houses of journalism do.  And there are multiple polls from various sources showing the same thing.

As for your other question, if a dem pulled us out of the Paris Climate deal, rammed through country changing tax reform without committee review or scoring, worked to stop net neutrality, etc, I'd be just as pissed.  If you must know, had the Republicans put up someone like John Kasich, they had my vote in 2016.  Still, you requested a list of what I think are positive from your original post.  So, here are several that stood out.  Merry Christmas.

• Created a VA hotline.
  • Created a VA hotline.

Thank you. Wapo is one of the most agenda driven news organizations in this country, IMO, and just like you, I have one. What did their polls say about the last presidential election?

13 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Thank you. Wapo is one of the most agenda driven news organizations in this country, IMO, and just like you, I have one.

My agenda is looking for facts and letting those lead my thinking.  That's that whole education and reporting background I mentioned in the other thread.  We're taught to look at everything with healthy skepticism so that the facts can always make their way to the surface.

Personally, I despise Trump because I believe he represents everything I don't like about America.  But if he does some good things, then great, he deserves credit and it should be acknowledged (see above post).  However for my taste, he's done more harm than good for the short and long term health of this country.

7 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

How can you prove they are factually accurate 99% of the time?

How many stories does WaPo publish per week?  Now, how many of those do they have to retract or correct?  It's simple math.  The correction/retraction is the exception, not the rule.  If it were the rule, they would have been sued countless times already for libel/slander and lost those battles very publicly in court.

8 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I like this one best....

Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Without going through proper Senate order and breaking with 200+ years of tradition and Senate rules by encouraging the elimination of the 60 vote rule.  This will bite the Republicans in the ass in the future as they set this precedent.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Without going through proper Senate order and breaking with 200+ years of tradition and Senate rules by encouraging the elimination of the 60 vote rule.  This will bite the Republicans in the ass in the future as they set this precedent.

How Democrats Paved the Way for the Confirmation of Trump's Cabinet

A little over three years ago, Senator Mitch McConnell stood on the Senate floor and issued a warning to the Democrats who then controlled the majority.

“I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle, you’ll regret this,” McConnell, then the minority leader, told them. “And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”

At the urging of Majority Leader Harry Reid, Democrats had just voted along strict party lines to change the rules of the Senate, deploying what had become known in Washington as “the nuclear option.” McConnell and his Republican colleagues were furious. Under the new rules, presidential nominees for all executive-branch position—including the Cabinet—and judicial vacancies below the Supreme Court could advance with a simple majority of 51 votes. The rules for legislation were untouched, but the 60-vote threshold for overcoming a filibuster on nearly all nominations was dead.

I realize the exception of the Supreme Court.  I am glad the repubs did. I don't think there will be a democrat majority for a long time, unless illegal immigrants are eventually naturalized.

14 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I realize the exception of the Supreme Court.  I am glad the repubs did. I don't think there will be a democrat majority for a long time, unless illegal immigrants are eventually naturalized.

Oh it wasn't right when the dems did it for lower courts and cabinet members either.  But when they did it, at least they left some protection for the top court.  With that being gone, we are basically now at two chambers on the Hill with basic majority rule on some of our most fundamental issues, which directly defies the Constitution.

As for Dems not having control soon, you may want to check the numbers.  Millenials are the 2nd largest voting block in the country.  They are largely left leaning and voted for Clinton in droves in 2016.  Good analysis here:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2016/11/21/how-millennials-voted/

Meanwhile, Baby Boomers and older who voted in larger numbers for Trump are beginning to die off.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/11/09/the-2016-elections-generation-gap-infographic/

This could lead to down ballot voting, especially as this younger group has seemingly become more active since Trump took office.  Not saying that Dems will gain control this November, but a split Congress wouldn't be shocking.  See this poll from last month:

http://time.com/5068043/voters-democrats-control-congress-poll/

12 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

I noticed you omitted any attribution, although I would believe you made this up yourself.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:07 PM, Farmer Brown said:

I like this one best....

Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

You'll think a lot less of it - in a decade or so - when you pay your "internet" bill.  

22 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Yeah. I did make it up myself. 

Wasn't this list published in the Washington Examiner http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/year-one-list-81-major-trump-achievements-11-obama-legacy-items-repealed/article/2644159

Maybe I misunderstood the question that was asked of you that promoted the quoted reply, but unless you're Paul Bedard, this is not your list.

Ok.  I went and read back through.  I think I did mistake which statements you were claiming as your own.  I will leave my previous remark to illustrate my error unless you, Farmer Brown, prefer it removed.

50 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Wasn't this list published in the Washington Examiner http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/year-one-list-81-major-trump-achievements-11-obama-legacy-items-repealed/article/2644159

Maybe I misunderstood the question that was asked of you that promoted the quoted reply, but unless you're Paul Bedard, this is not your list.

First of all, he had my comments in his quotes. He said, "Did you write this?" I made comments about the WSJ. I wasn't taking credit for compiling the list of accomplishments. Those are a common list all over the web on news sites. 

44 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Ok.  I went and read back through.  I think I did mistake which statements you were claiming as your own.  I will leave my previous remark to illustrate my error unless you, Farmer Brown, prefer it removed.

Man, this is a blog. I don't take things here, that seriously. 

On 1/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, Farmer Brown said:

Jobs and the economy

• Passage of the tax reform bill providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate. 

Not a good thing from my perspective.  Previous trickle down applications have led to greater income equality.  Also, the timing is wrong.  I won't outright predict it, and I certainly do not wish for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a downturn occurs in the economy in the next two years.

• Increase of the GDP above 3 percent.

The trend has been upward for a while, and Bush, Obama and Trump can stake a claim here.

• Creation of 1.7 million new jobs, cutting unemployment to 4.1 percent.

Less jobs than were created under Obama in the previous year.  Here is an interesting look from a more historical perspective https://www.thebalance.com/job-creation-by-president-by-number-and-percent-3863218

• Saw the Dow Jones reach record highs.

Again, several could stake a claim here.

• A rebound in economic confidence to a 17-year high.

See above.

• A new executive order to boost apprenticeships.

Boosting apprenticeships is a good thing and if implemented correctly this administration deserves props.  RI governor has some interesting work development scenarios I'd like to see the president consider.

Props here as well.

I'd like to study up on this more, but taken at face value... Props.

Killing job-stifling regulations

• Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one creates. He beat that big and cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion.

This is a ham handed approach to regulation.  Saving money is fine, but recklessly cutting regulation shows political immaturity.

• Signed 15 congressional regulatory cuts.

Whether this is good or not depends on exactly what they were.

• Withdrew from the Obama-era Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of environmental regulations.

Not good in my opinion.  Shows Trump's petulant approach to government.

• Signed an Executive Order cutting the time for infrastructure permit approvals.
  • Eliminated an Obama rule on streams that Trump felt unfairly targeted the coal industry.

The coal pollution regulations were needed.  Coal companies have a long history if reckless dumping, and Trump's move was a simple pander.

Fair trade

• Made good on his campaign promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

As would have candidates from both parties.

• Opened up the North American Free Trade Agreement for talks to better the deal for the U.S.

Will we see a benefit from this?

• Worked to bring companies back to the U.S., and companies like Toyota, Mazda, Broadcom Limited, and Foxconn announced plans to open U.S. plants.

Attributing this to Trump disregards the fact that several of the companies you mentioned have been investing in this way for years.

• Worked to promote the sale of U.S products abroad.

What president doesn't?

• Made enforcement of U.S. trade laws, especially those that involve national security, a priority.

Results?

• Ended Obama’s deal with Cuba.

Not a positive.

I'll revisit the rest later.

10 hours ago, HVAU said:

I was referring to the actual list.

9 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

First of all, he had my comments in his quotes. He said, "Did you write this?" I made comments about the WSJ. I wasn't taking credit for compiling the list of accomplishments. Those are a common list all over the web on news sites. 

I was referring to the list.  Sorry for the confusion.  

On 1/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, Farmer Brown said:

Man, this is a blog. I don't take things here, that seriously. 

Well, you really should attribute when you post something like that.

The reason I asked, it's obvious such a list would have taken a lot of work to create. 

I wondered who did it.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, Farmer Brown said:

Boosting U.S. energy dominance

• The Department of Interior, which has led the way in cutting regulations, opened plans to lease 77 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling.

That may be good for lowering oil prices, but could also be a negative ecologically speaking.  Claiming this as necessity is dubious considering recent improvements in extraction technology and recent field finds in less vulnerable ecosystems.

• Trump traveled the world to promote the sale and use of U.S. energy.

A silly addition to the list, as it implies that this action is a Trump exclusive.

• Expanded energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL Pipeline snubbed by Obama.

Again, depends on your perspective.  There was significant opposition to this project's implementation for a reason.

• Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Obama’s Clean Power Plan.

More short sighted, anti-regulation, conservative knee jerk that could leave the US in a worse position globally as other dominant nations progress in the clean power industry.

• EPA is reconsidering Obama rules on methane emissions.

See other environmental policy criticisms.

Protecting the U.S. homeland

• Laid out new principles for reforming immigration and announced plan to end "chain migration," which lets one legal immigrant to bring in dozens of family members.

A serious discussion needs to be had about properly creating immigration legislation.  This president has shown a lack of ability to be serious, however.

• Made progress to build the border wall with Mexico.

A ridiculous, barely effective venture that will waste a lot of money.

• Ended the Obama-era “catch and release” of illegal immigrants.

This needs some citation the be taken seriously, especially considering rates of deportation under Obama.

• Boosted the arrests of illegals inside the U.S.

Some good to this, but also a lot of legalistic BS resulting in the break up of good decent, economically contributive families.

• Doubled the number of counties participating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement charged with deporting illegals.

Redundant

Please provide numbers on this.  Percentages are one of the most easily manipulated stats for political purposes.

• Started the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival program.

Which is bad policy when actually look at who is affected and how they contribute to our society.

• Ditto for other amnesty programs like Deferred Action for Parents of Americans.

Basically redundant.

• Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars.

A lot of talk.

• Added some 100 new immigration judges.

This could be good if they're competent.  

Protecting communities

• Justice announced grants of $98 million to fund 802 new cops.

That could be good.

I'd like to see citation on this as well.  At face value it's a positive.

Ridding communities of gangs is obviously good.

Mixed bag when Trump has a giant blindspot for one of the largest syndicates of organized crime in Russia.

• Attorney General Jeff Sessions created new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crimes.

Sessions is a horrible AG.  

On 1/14/2018 at 8:45 PM, Farmer Brown said:

I'm catching this late, but we aren't going to play "belittle the source" as a response to arguments.  If you think the WAPO isn't credible on this, then refute the points themselves with facts, not just "WAPO is liberal garbage" type responses.

Archived