Twitter: More than 677,000 U.S. users engaged with Russian troll accounts

homersapien

Twitter said Friday it's notifying 677,775 people in the U.S. who either followed, retweeted or liked a tweet from accounts of the Kremlin-linked troll farm known as the Internet Research Agency during the 2016 election period.

The company also said that since briefing Congress in November, it's identified an additional 13,512 Russian-linked bot accounts that tweeted around the election, bringing the total to 50,258.

"Any such activity represents a challenge to democratic societies everywhere, and we're committed to working on this important issue," Twitter wrote in a blog post. The company said it will share the account handles with congressional investigators looking at Russian interference in the election.

Twitter offered several examples of Internet Research Agency content, including tweets with pro-Donald Trump images and slogans.

Friday's disclosure — 14 months after the 2016 election — is the latest sign that social media companies are still coming to grips with the extent of Russian activity on their platforms during the campaign.

Intelligence experts, congressional investigators and others have concluded that Russian elements exploited Twitter and Facebook to distribute propaganda and misinformation during the 2016 campaign — much of it focused on damaging the candidacy of Hillary Clinton.

Twitter on Friday also laid out its plans for the 2018 midterm elections, including verifying major party candidates, communicating with federal and state election officials, applying anti-spam technology against "networks of malicious automation targeting election-related matters," and monitoring trends and spikes in conversation for "potential manipulation activity."

Facebook unveiled a portal last month to allow users to learn of any Facebook or Instagram contact they may have had with Russian internet trolls between January 2015 and August 2017. Facebook has said that Russian-linked posts were viewed by up to 126 million people during that period.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/19/twitter-users-russian-trolls-437247

The HRC Campaign outspent Trump by $500,000,000. I dont care how much there might have been some random twitter accounts etc. When the history is written, this election will go down as the worst run campaign in American History run against the most beatable candidate ever to run for election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/campaign-finance/

new chart

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

The HRC Campaign outspent Trump by $500,000,000. I dont care how much there might have been some random twitter accounts etc. When the history is written, this election will go down as the worst run campaign in American History run against the most beatable candidate ever to run for election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/campaign-finance/

new chart

I agree with you that the Clinton campaign was horrible strategically.  The only minor point of contention is in Trump's beat-ability.  He was definitely a buffoon on the trail, but he was different and so very unorthodox that normal tactics didn't work.  They didn't work for the field of Republican candidates and they didn't work for Clinton.

Trump is the reality show president for his reality show base.

Trump won 30 states with a total of 306 electors, or 57% of the 538 available. The reason he won in an electoral landslide, is that he represented what 62 million Americans believe. We don't agree with globalist policies of unending migration of people through illegal, or chain immigration. That is the cornerstone of Trump's victory, as well as his political incorrectness. It is refreshing, to say the least, and I don't care what anybody thinks of it. The corruption of the DNC, rigging the election for HC, the news media in collusion with her campaign, and billions of dollars, were not enough to beat a vulgar, inexperienced candidate in their eyes. It is absolutely hilarious, and there is nothing you can do about it for three more years, except fantasize about a Russian conspiracy against Hillary Clinton. LMAO. Maybe you can take a day to scream at the sky.

6 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Trump won 30 states with a total of 306 electors, or 57% of the 538 available. The reason he won in an electoral landslide, is that he represented what 62 million Americans believe. We don't agree with globalist policies of unending migration of people through illegal, or chain immigration. That is the cornerstone of Trump's victory, as well as his political incorrectness. It is refreshing, to say the least, and I don't care what anybody thinks of it. The corruption of the DNC, rigging the election for HC, the news media in collusion with her campaign, and billions of dollars, were not enough to beat a vulgar, inexperienced candidate in their eyes. It is absolutely hilarious, and there is nothing you can do about it for three more years, except fantasize about a Russian conspiracy against Hillary Clinton. LMAO. Maybe you can take a day to scream at the sky.

Who said anything about Trump?  :dunno:

The OP was simply pointing out the presence Russians had in our election, which should be concerning.

(I will give you credit for the "electors" spin, which was funny.  At least you didn't agree with 
Trump's claim he won the popular vote.)   :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

"Trump is the reality show president for his reality show base."

How condescending can you get? I cannot stand arrogance.

Better get used to it.  Most people would likely agree with that statement: 

Setting issues aside, a majority (58%) say they do not like the way Trump conducts himself as president, while 25% have mixed feelings about his conduct. Just 16% say they like the way he conducts himself as president.

Among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, just 31% say they agree with Trump on all or nearly all issues, while an additional 38% agree with him on many, but not all, issues. Fully 93% of Democrats and Democratic leaners say they agree with Trump on, at most, a few issues, including 77% who report virtually no agreement with Trump on issues.

In views of Trump’s conduct as president, 46% of Republicans express mixed feelings, while 19% say they do not like his conduct; 34% say they like the way he conducts himself as president. Among Democrats, 89% have a negative view of Trump’s conduct.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/08/29/republicans-divided-in-views-of-trumps-conduct-democrats-are-broadly-critical./

2 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

"Trump is the reality show president for his reality show base."

How condescending can you get? I cannot stand arrogance.

Trump has shown himself to be incompetent, childish, immoral, vulgar and unethical.  That his version of "PC" as a professional political entity appeals to any adult is so ridiculous that, to be quite frank, I see very few more appropriate attitudes than condescension.  

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

Trump has shown himself to be incompetent, childish, immoral, vulgar and unethical.  That his version of "PC" as a professional political entity appeals to any adult is so ridiculous that, to be quite frank, I see very few more appropriate attitudes than condescension.  

Incompetent? When? I have yet to notice great failures. Things appear to a bit more positive these days HV.  Talk about "childish" ........been to one of Hillarys' book signings.

We had a very clear choice,  Hillary or President Trump. Do not sermonize us with the bold print. 

58 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Incompetent? When? I have yet to notice great failures. Things appear to a bit more positive these days HV.  Talk about "childish" ........been to one of Hillarys' book signings.

We had a very clear choice,  Hillary or President Trump. Do not sermonize us with the bold print. 

Yes, incompetent.  I would say this recent round of dealing illustrates his incompetence, i.e striking bipartisan deals earlier in the process only to have underlings like Miller spin him off into a bout of indecision in which he contradicts his Chief of Staff and his previous, public remarks.  

...Or maybe he's just an unscrupulous liar that has no qualms about making public statements and later claiming he never said such.  Which really is just another form of incompetence when it comes to leadership positions.

To satisfy your question, I've never been to a Clinton event, no.  I voted for her as the least unpleasant of the 2016 candidates, and someone with which I align, from a philosophical standpoint.  From the beginning, however, I regarded her as a very vulnerable candidate and I considered other Democrats as well as moderate Republicans.

I will continue to "sermonize" against Trump when I see those attributes referenced earlier.  Your welcome to defend him.

3 hours ago, HVAU said:

You'd think some of these folks would be have been exposed to effective leadership at some point in their lives, whether personally or professionally. 

I don't get it.  :no:  :dunno:

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sermonize?  ;D

Does that mean you dispute these charges?

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

Who said anything about Trump?  :dunno:

The OP was simply pointing out the presence Russians had in our election, which should be concerning.

(I will give you credit for the "electors" spin, which was funny.  At least you didn't agree with 
Trump's claim he won the popular vote.)   :rolleyes:

Electors spin? There is no spin in the fact that Trump won 306 electoral votes. How is that "spin"?

"In public relations and politics, spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through providing a biased interpretation of an event or campaigning to persuade public opinion in favor or against some organization or public figure. While traditional public relations and advertising may also rely on altering the presentation of the facts, "spin" often implies the use of disingenuous, deceptive, and highly manipulative tactics." Wikipedia.

The fact that Trump won 306 electoral votes, or the context in which I used those facts, doesn't meat the definition of "spin".

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

Electors spin? There is no spin in the fact that Trump won 306 electoral votes. How is that "spin"?

"In public relations and politics, spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through providing a biased interpretation of an event or campaigning to persuade public opinion in favor or against some organization or public figure. While traditional public relations and advertising may also rely on altering the presentation of the facts, "spin" often implies the use of disingenuous, deceptive, and highly manipulative tactics." Wikipedia.

The fact that Trump won 306 electoral votes, or the context in which I used those facts, doesn't meat the definition of "spin".

Au contraire, your post was the perfect example of spin.

The spin comes from your implying his electoral college victory represents some sort of huge popular victory for Trump. Claiming  "57% of the electoral college" hardly means he is a majority president.   (The claim sounds just like him though.) It doesn't even mean he received the plurality of votes, much less the majority.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/government-shutdown-russia-twitter-trump_us_5a654795e4b0dc592a0a06c8

The #SchumerShutdown Hashtag Is Getting A Big Boost From Russian Bots

The GOP slogan is now the top trending hashtag being promoted by Russian influence operators on Twitter.

WASHINGTON ― As lawmakers wage a messaging war over who caused the government shutdown, Republicans and the White House are getting a big boost in their efforts to blame Democrats for the mess ― from the Russians.

#SchumerShutdown ― the hashtag that GOP leaders and the White House are using to accuse Democrats of causing the shutdown ― on Sunday night became the top trending hashtag being promoted by Russian bots and trolls on Twitter, according to the Alliance for Securing Democracy, a project led by former top national security officials from both parties.

Here’s a chart by Alliance for Securing Democracy, last updated at 10 p.m. Sunday, showing the #SchumerShutdown hashtag blowing up among Russia-linked influence networks. 

Go to https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/government-shutdown-russia-twitter-trump_us_5a654795e4b0dc592a0a06c8  for the rest of the article.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Au contraire, your post was the perfect example of spin.

The spin comes from your implying his electoral college victory represents some sort of huge popular victory for Trump. Claiming  "57% of the electoral college" hardly means he is a majority president.   (The claim sounds just like him though.) It doesn't even mean he received the plurality of votes, much less the majority.

I will give you the classic answer.....whatever.

Archived