Do we care about budget deficits / national debt anymore?

RunInRed

On 10/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, homersapien said:

That sort of depends on what is being cut doesn't it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 10% he's wishing for doesn't come from defense spending. Which is what needs cut the most, IMO. We spend wayyyy more than any other country. We could make significant cuts and still spend more than China, UK, Russia, etc. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, DKW 86 said:

Like i have been saying since 2005: The Republicans TALK ABOUT BALANCING THE BUDGET, And actually DO NOTHING, for the last 38 years.

One of the several reasons I no longer even pay attention to the Republicans as a party. Balancing the Budget is a 100% Meaningless Talking Point.

What is the Dem record during that time?

52 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 10% he's wishing for doesn't come from defense spending. Which is what needs cut the most, IMO. We spend wayyyy more than any other country. We could make significant cuts and still spend more than China, UK, Russia, etc. 

Please share your info from a reliable source on how much Russia and China spend on defense.

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Please share your info from a reliable source on how much Russia and China spend on defense.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jan/13/barack-obama/obama-us-spends-more-military-next-8-nations-combi/

Also this. 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yep and our military sunk to a new level of capability under Obama. Somebody wasn't spending the money very well.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yep and our military sunk to a new level of capability under Obama. Somebody wasn't spending the money very well.

What does that mean? Are you talking about man power?!

44 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What does that mean? Are you talking about man power?!

Interesting topic of discussion. Would like to continue but may be tomorrow. Headed out now to have dinner at The Hound with friends and then to see the Tigers play. Hope the right tigers win tonight. :wedance:

17 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't believe he understands that there isn't a need for manpower like there used to be, due to advances in technology. 

Hey,,,,,,re. my last post to you above, I had an interesting discussion about this over dinner last night. He is a retired Navy guy who now teaches in engineering at AU. he was on a nuclear sub that made some Top Secret missions. I don't want to get into here but will send you a PM first chance I get.

And......it was fun watching AU destroy Mizzou last night.

18 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't believe he understands that there isn't a need for manpower like there used to be, due to advances in technology. 

I'll add and say I don't think we are being strategic about where defense spending should increase. We are not spending enough on cyber defense for example. I think that is the frontier we are completely missing. We need intel agency spending in this department as well as defense spending.

But agree with all of your points upthread, we need to cut overall defense spending.

23 minutes ago, channonc said:

we need to cut overall defense spending.

I totally disagree and this is one area where I think I have a fair amount of insight into what we are doing that's not visible to the average Joe. There are several other places I would cut first.

17 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I totally disagree and this is one area where I think I have a fair amount of insight into what we are doing that's not visible to the average Joe. There are several other places I would cut first.

Did you see the charts I posted for you? How could you even say that, after seeing the breakdown? And you're not an expert on defense budgeting because you served. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Did you see the charts I posted for you? How could you even say that, after seeing the breakdown? And you're not an expert on defense budgeting because you served. 

1. I saw them. Did you see my last post to you above.

2. Where did I say I was an expert on defense budgeting?  Breaking news.......neither are you  or anyone else here because there is  a lot more going on that is not visible to most, including the data in your links which are unclassified

24 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

1. I saw them. Did you see my last post to you above.

2. Where did I say I was an expert on defense budgeting?  Breaking news.......neither are you  or anyone else here because there is  a lot more going on that is not visible to most, including the data in your links which are unclassified

Exactly! This is just the military spending that is available to the public and it's already outrageous. I never claimed to be an expert, but if your country is spending more money on defense spending than the next 6-8 countries combined, it's fairly easy to see where the budging concerns lie. 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Considering how Trump is weakening our strategic alliances, PT may have a point.

We may have to go it alone in the future. Us against the world.

That's literally the only reason that we should have a defense budget as big as we do. But it's entirely possible that we will end up being in that situation. 

7 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Exactly! This is just the military spending that is available to the public and it's already outrageous. I never claimed to be an expert, but if your country is spending more money on defense spending than the next 6-8 countries combined, it's fairly easy to see where the budging concerns lie. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to back this up?

20 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Link to back this up?

Look up in the thread.  It's already been posted.  In fact, it was posted in a response to you asking for the proof.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Look up in the thread.  It's already been posted.  In fact, it was posted in a response to you asking for the proof.

I should have said reliable source. But you can bet Peterson doesn't know how much Russia or China spend on defense.and he admitted that. It really doesn't matter to me. We need to spend whatever we need to keep up with Russia and China.

• 5 months later...

It could be #FakeNews but it all sounds pretty straight-forward and fact-based to me ...

Under Donald Trump the deficit is on a path to more than a trillion dollars per year and discretionary government spending is growing faster than it was under Barack Obama, when he was working to stimulate our way out of the Great Recession.

In Trump's Washington, deficit hawks are an endangered species. The alleged fiscal principles of the Tea Party have been sold for scrap, leaving only its nativist impulses intact. And there's no obvious way out of the escalating deficits and debt that will compromise our fiscal independence in the next downturn.

During the 2016 campaign, Donald Trump promised to eliminate America's then-$19 trillion-dollar debt in eight years. Anyone who believed that fell for the Don's Con — after all, this was the self-styled "King of Debt" talking. Under Trump, the national debt just passed $22 trillion for the first time in history.

The danger is that the political benefit of breezy lies seems to have been codified. And it's too much to expect that yet another Democratic president is going to be more fiscally responsible than the Republicans who constantly talk about fiscal discipline and then deliver increased deficits and debt.

t's a story we've seen repeatedly since Ronald Reagan. Bill Clinton was famously the last president to preside over a budget surplus and by 2014 Barack Obama had gotten our deficits to half of what they are today under Donald Trump, despite the Great Recession. Because of the sequestration deal that was just taken off the books in this latest budget deal, Obama presided over a reduction in discretionary government spending of nearly 2% per year in his second term.

During the last Republican presidency of George W. Bush, a group of conservatives bitterly criticized its drift on deficits and debt. Indiana Gov. Mike Pence slammed the "profound loss of credibility on issues of fiscal discipline", saying that "big government conservatism is a failed experiment." Now that he is Vice President, Pence has been not so much muted as neutered on the issue. But no doubt, he'll find a way to blame Democrats when we reap the whirlwind for the actions taken in his administration's name.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/23/opinions/under-trump-spending-is-growing-faster-than-under-obama-avlon/index.html

image.png.1fcb8f287abd9c4af78233b05e701d

image.png.c23af2f46f215689f3e6c0bfe9a8d9

image.png.3f1345235f870525fa85e2b64dd5e1

Archived