Do we care about budget deficits / national debt anymore?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

He's not listed as every being the Chief Master Sgt of the USAF, @Proud Tiger.  Who is this guy?

I read it in a letter to the Washington Times a while back and copied it. Maybe the author used a fake name or I copied it wrong. In any event I agree with the words.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

More fake news from Proud.

Chief Master Sargent (CMS) in the Air Force is the highest enlisted rank.  Up to 1% of the enlisted people in the Air Force can obtain the rank of CMS.  There is only one (at a time) Chief Master Sargent of the Air Force.  It is perfectly believable that there is a guy named George Root that was a CMS and is now retired.  He was not the CMS of the Air Force however.  That mistake is understandable unless everyone is as perfect as you guys (I'm sure you all know who I am referring to).

27 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Chief Master Sargent (CMS) in the Air Force is the highest enlisted rank.  Up to 1% of the enlisted people in the Air Force can obtain the rank of CMS.  There is only one (at a time) Chief Master Sargent of the Air Force.  It is perfectly believable that there is a guy named George Root that was a CMS and is now retired.  He was not the CMS of the Air Force however.  That mistake is understandable unless everyone is as perfect as you guys (I'm sure you all know who I am referring to).

Fake is fake.

32 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

This particular screed has floated around for a while, sometimes accompanied by a picture of CMSAF James Cody. 

2 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Thank you. At least a lot of the pseudo intellectuals here learned something.......the rank of Chief Master Sargeant of the USAF.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Thank you. At least a lot of the pseudo intellectuals here learned something.......the rank of Chief Master Sargeant of the USAF.

I think what you meant to say was, “In addition to my meaningless logical fallacy of appealing to authority, it turns out he doesn’t even have the authority.”

15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think what you meant to say was, “In addition to my meaningless logical fallacy of appealing to authority, it turns out he doesn’t even have the authority.”

The only fallacy going rests with you. I never said the guy had any authority. YOU first mentioned "authority" several posts back and continue to harp on it.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

The only fallacy going rests with you. I never said the guy had any authority. YOU first mentioned "authority" several posts back and continue to harp on it.

Because that is the definition of what your were doing - throwing out an opinion and claiming it had more weight because of   his position.  That is the pluperfect definition of an appeal to authority.  

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Because that is the definition of what your were doing - throwing out an opinion and claiming it had more weight because of   his position.  That is the pluperfect definition of an appeal to authority.  

That's your rationalization rather than admit you brought "authority" into the picture.

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's your rationalization rather than admit you brought "authority" into the picture.

Good lord you're dense.

It's not a rationalization.  It's literally what you did.  It's such an overused (and wrong) debate tactic it actually has a name.

How do you type and breathe at the same time?

20 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Not enough facepalm gifs in the world for this one.

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Good lord you're dense.

It's not a rationalization.  It's literally what you did.  It's such an overused (and wrong) debate tactic it actually has a name.

How do you type and breathe at the same time?

I didn't know we were having a "debate." I thought  it was a simple discussion. Guess I'm wrong since you are always right......in your mind. Do people constantly make insults in debates?

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

I didn't know we were having a "debate." I thought  it was a simple discussion.

You can play semantics all you want, it's still a logical fallacy.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Guess I'm wrong since you are always right......in your mind. Do people constantly make insults in debates?

You aren't wrong simply because I'm "always right," you're wrong because you are in this instance objectively wrong, period.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

You can play semantics all you want, it's still a logical fallacy. 

It's a debate in the same vein as a fight between an in-his-prime Mike Tyson and an armless man.

Back on topic of budgets. Trump had a Cabinet meeting this morning and asked that all departments make a 5% cut in their budget. I would like to have seen 10% for some but it's a step in the right direction.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Back on topic of budgets. Trump had a Cabinet meeting this morning and asked that all departments make a 5% cut in their budget. I would like to have seen 10% for some but it's a step in the right direction.

That sort of depends on what is being cut doesn't it?

• 1 month later...

U.S. Budget Deficit Hits Widest on Record for Month of November

• Federal outlays double revenue collections, Treasury data show
  • U.S. ran largest fiscal gap in six years in fiscal 2018

Outlays jumped 18 percent to $411 billion last month, while receipts were little changed at $206 billion, the Treasury Department said in a monthly report on Thursday. That left a $205 billion shortfall, compared with a $139 billion gap a year earlier.

The U.S. ran the largest deficit in six years in fiscal 2018, the first full year of Donald Trump’s presidency when his Republican party enacted a tax-cut package and raised federal spending for the military and other priorities. The measures have added to the growing federal deficit, which is forecast to push past $1 trillion by 2020 when the U.S. next holds presidential elections.

In the first two months of the fiscal year that began Oct. 1, the gap widened to $305.4 billion, compared with $201.8 billion the same period a year earlier.

Spending on Department of Defense military programs rose 18 percent in October and November from the same two months a year earlier, while outlays for total interest on the public debt jumped by 7 percent.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-13/u-s-budget-deficit-hits-widest-on-record-for-month-of-november

"conservative"    :lmao:

Trump on Coming Debt Crisis: ‘I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up

The president thinks the balancing of the nation’s books is going to, ultimately, be a future president’s problem.

Since the 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump’s aides and advisers have tried to convince him of the importance of tackling the national debt.

Sources close to the president say he has repeatedly shrugged it off, implying that he doesn’t have to worry about the money owed to America’s creditors—currently about $21 trillion—because he won’t be around to shoulder the blame when it becomes even more untenable.

The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.

“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-on-coming-debt-crisis-i-wont-be-here-when-it-blows-up

Like i have been saying since 2005: The Republicans TALK ABOUT BALANCING THE BUDGET, And actually DO NOTHING, for the last 38 years.

One of the several reasons I no longer even pay attention to the Republicans as a party. Balancing the Budget is a 100% Meaningless Talking Point.

• 1 month later...

The U.S. Treasury Department announced plans to issue another record-breaking amount of debt, giving President Donald Trump’s re-election opponents more ammunition as they question whether his tax cuts will pay for themselves.

The federal budget shortfall is set to swell, driven by tax cuts, spending increases and an aging American population. As a result, the Treasury is raising its long-term debt issuance at its quarterly refunding auctions to $84 billion, the department said Wednesday, $1 billion more than three months ago. Such elevated levels of borrowing will finance the widening deficit, with Wall Street strategists projecting new debt issuance will top $1 trillion for a second straight year.

Debt sales have already surpassed levels last seen when the country was digging out of its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Combined with needing to fund the shortfall, the Treasury has been selling more debt as a result of the Federal Reserve’s strategy to slowly let government debt roll off its balance sheet.

Initial tax receipts call into question the Trump administration’s projection that extra economic growth would generate enough revenue to offset its tax cuts. Corporate income taxes paid to the U.S. Treasury fell to $205 billion in the fiscal year ended Sept. 30 -- a 31 percent drop from the prior year. A decrease of that magnitude is unusual during a period of economic growth.

The Congressional Budget Office forecasts the federal budget deficit will top $1 trillion in 2020, with the U.S. government spending about $7 trillion just to service that debt.

The massive fiscal shortfall has drawn concern from investors, with DoubleLine Capital LP’s Jeffrey Gundlach calling it a “horrific situation” in his annual webcast. Billionaire investor Seth A. Klarman, in a letter presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, said global social tension, receding American leadership and rising debt levels all present a red flag.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-30/u-s-debt-sales-break-records-again-feeding-deficit-criticism?srnd=premium

If you strain a little, you can hear crickets all over Red State America about the Budget Deficit and Borrowing yet even more $$$$. 

Archived