Men vs. uat

WarTiger

6 minutes ago, Gibson SG said:

To be honest, that is part of the home court/field advantage.  These guys are big time college athletes getting their education (and probably more at UAT) paid for.  That is all part of the game.  They have to have thick skin and mental toughness.  The game ain't for sissies.  I know it seems classless, but the players probably can't even hear it or it doesn't bother them.  If it does bother them, they may want to pick a different sport.

As far as the fans go, as long as there are not racial slurs or bad language, I'm good with them hammering any opponent (not just UAT) and being as ruthless as possible.

I understand.  Doesn't mean I like it.  I'm not thin-skinned or easily offended, but it does bother me that our society, in general, has gotten coarser and ruder to one another, and I guess the sporting arenas are no different than society-at-large.  Oh, well, I guess this is a different topic for a different forum. 

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I understand.  Doesn't mean I like it.  I'm not thin-skinned or easily offended, but it does bother me that our society, in general, has gotten coarser and ruder to one another, and I guess the sporting arenas are no different than society-at-large.  Oh, well, I guess this is a different topic for a different forum. 

That's how I read your comment. It wasn't about protecting players sensibilities. It is about general decorum. 

18 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

As long as they don't go totally classless (like here, for example), whatever. Rattlin' them bones is all part of the fun.

38 minutes ago, Gibson SG said:

To be honest, that is part of the home court/field advantage.  These guys are big time college athletes getting their education (and probably more at UAT) paid for.  That is all part of the game.  

Can’t believe someone brought up paying kids when we are the ones in the crosshairs of the NCAA.   I know that bama was part of the fbi investigation but AU is the last team to throw stones.   

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Can’t believe someone brought up paying kids when we are the ones in the crosshairs of the NCAA.   I know that bama was part of the fbi investigation but AU is the last team to throw stones.   

Auburn didn't

A single Person did, in reality it didn't involve Auburn at all.

uat has been paying and providing jobs for players and their families for decades.

Does it seem strange that uat investigated and cleared the FBI thing all by themselves in a matter of hours?

15 hours ago, gr82be said:

Someone posted earlier asking if The Smith played basketball. I think he's there in spirit for sure. 

It’s funny--that’s exactly what this reminded me of.

Big props to:

Chuma -- 16 and 10. nuff said.

Davion -- huuuuuge 3s and was aggressive

Malik - Loved seeing him play so well last night with Mustapha out!

These guys all had huuuuuge nights for us off the bench when we needed them to be at the top of their games. Incredible effort by these guys.

Jared Harper bounced back after the South Carolina game to show why he may be the best PG in the conference as a sophomore.

Bryce is starting to hit again after the injury

Murray battling hard against those big guys down low, as usual. 

Horace got in a little bit of foul trouble but still had 3 blocks and was playing good D out there.

Fantastic team effort

2 hours ago, Gibson SG said:

And as far as the UAT SGA president, she knew when she either ran for or was appointed to that position that this was all part of it.  You don't want to get booed, don't become the SGA president.  I thought she handled it well.

She did not complain...it is just a few of us old AU alums who would have liked for the crowd to show more class in that situation...booing while she was talking was unnecessarily rude.. JMO

PS....I am fine with ragging the players...?

37 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

A single Person did, in reality it didn't involve Auburn at all.

The single person was a prominent assistant  basketball coach for Auburn. If it didn’t involve Auburn at all, Wiley and Purifoy would still be playing. 

37 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Does it seem strange that uat investigated and cleared the FBI thing all by themselves in a matter of hours?

Do you know the facts of the matter? I don’t. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

She did not complain...it is just a few of us old AU alums who would have liked for the crowd to show more class in that situation...booing while she was talking was unnecessarily rude.. JMO

PS....I am fine with ragging the players...?

I was there (I could not hear good) but I think the booing started when she started talked about bama championship.  

Man if we lose anymore players this team will be unstoppable!! :Sing:

Amazing how 1 guy goes down we always have someone else step up. Dunbar and Okeke took up the slack this game. But i mean hell when you have what 7 scholly players going everyone has to play well to get the W. Just so fun watching this team and knowing that no matter what happens they will keep on fighting. I have to admit that i was pretty down after the McLemore injury. Glad the team saw it as just another opportunity to show everyone they are for real...AGAIN!! 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Big props to:

Chuma -- 16 and 10. nuff said.

Davion -- huuuuuge 3s and was aggressive

Malik - Loved seeing him play so well last night with Mustapha out!

These guys all had huuuuuge nights for us off the bench when we needed them to be at the top of their games. Incredible effort by these guys.

Jared Harper bounced back after the South Carolina game to show why he may be is the best PG in the conference as a sophomore.

Bryce is starting to hit again after the injury

Murray battling hard against those big guys down low, as usual. 

Horace got in a little bit of foul trouble but still had 3 blocks and was playing good D out there.

Fantastic team effort

FIFY :jossun:

Remember when we were so depleted from a roster standpoint that Cinmeon Bowers had to run the point for us? Remember when KT Harrell was the only person on the court who could score? 

I am so happy for Bryce and Horace. Those kids have been through it all

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Agree, however I was there and they wern’t booing her, and didn’t boo from the start, (which the video doesn’t show) they were booing the fact that she said we are teammates etc....  it was a poorly written speech, but she is a bammer after all. 

Also, pretty classless that she broke tradition and didn’t sing our fight song; but again, she is a bammer, so what should we expect?

I read an article on her cause she was taking over for the resigned SGA president that talked about her having to do this. She didn't even know the tradition was still going on despite Auburn holding up it's end every year.

"You realize you're going to have to sing the Auburn fight song now, right?" Gerhardt asked.

"Do what?" Nelson responded. "That's when I learned about the tradition."

Nelson originally heard the signing of the rival's fight song was retired, but that wasn't accurate.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/alabama_sga_president_cant_lie.html#incart_river_index

5 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I read an article on her cause she was taking over for the resigned SGA president that talked about her having to do this. She didn't even know the tradition was still going on despite Auburn holding up it's end every year.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/alabama_sga_president_cant_lie.html#incart_river_index

Hate to be a bother, but I hate giving al.com the clicks.  Can you please post the article?

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Auburn didn't

A single Person did, in reality it didnt involve Auburn at all.

uat has been paying and providing jobs for players and their families for decades.

;)

16 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Is "The Smith" an inside joke or something...?

2002 Iron Bowl is your reference. Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Johnson (had to look his name up) we're all injured. Tre Smith filled in and had a career performance and Auburn beat Bama in Bryant Denny. I did not catch that autocorrect had changed Tre to The until you posted. Sorry about that. 

Gotta love the interview with Sir Charles after the game...he was so drunk. He tried to keep his composure though. I gather though from it,  that this is the greatest season in Auburn Basketball history...

59 minutes ago, tallgraycat said:

I was there (I could not hear good) but I think the booing started when she started talked about bama championship.  

Did she seriously talk about the bama championship? I would have booed too if I had been there.  Guess she forgot the reason she was bringing the trophy back- we beat them on the field!

1 minute ago, wde21 said:

Did she seriously talk about the bama championship? I would have booed too if I had been there.  Guess she forgot the reason she was bringing the trophy back- we beat them on the field!

I was wishing someone else would say they heard or if I miss understood, but I think I am correct, but so much cheers etc. I could not hear clearly.  

Archived