Men vs. Florida

WarTiger

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We played about as poorly as we have all season and still bad a chance to win this at the end on the road. We are gonna be alright just gotta refocus! 

Arky worries me a lot more than this game did. They are better than florida and on a roll right now besides than kentucky game. I wish we had a home game after this loss to fall back on and get us "right".

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, murpjf88 said:

Are they though?   Physically and emotionally,  they should have mopped the floor with these scrubs.  Don't let that Florida nostalgia fool you,  they stink this year! 

You've never said a positive thing about Auburn athletics lol.

As Hub Waldrop taught in Athletic Training classes, first things to start to go when a player is tired is focus and basic skills.

No clue what you mean with Florida nostalgia.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is a great sign. The basketball posts last year were filled with apathy. You want these raw emotional posts where it hurts like hell when we lose. It is exactly like a football post. First time in awhile where we are playing meaningful basketball games this late in the year. We are playing for a championship. Of course we are going to be MAD AF at the chance to at least get a share of it. I expect that kind of reaction when we lose a game we should of won to clinch a share of the sec title.... IN BASKETBALL!!! We are the better basketball team. That is why we are so upset.

I get that. You don't think the players want it worse? I think its great that people actually.

Lol, guess it's just me growing up in a sport that was tournament based. You had to let stuff go in hours, fix stuff in hours, or you were going home. Complaining did nothing but get you eliminated. Nothing sucked worse than being eliminated half way though the day, with 2 full games left in 100 degree Texas heat, and you had been up since 4:30 Am.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You have to play well enough to beat mid level teams in your conference if you want to win championships....gonna have 3 or 4 games in 4 days pretty soon.....that can't be an excuse.

I take it you have never played organized sports then

16 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

You've never said a positive thing about Auburn athletics lol.

As Hub Waldrop taught in Athletic Training classes, first things to start to go when a player is tired is focus and basic skills.

No clue what you mean with Florida nostalgia.

Mighty brave of you to delve into my post history and get back to my quote in such a timely manner.  Kudos to you. 

I don't know what you're saying..  Is Auburn's schedule too taxing?  Is Pearl coaching them up too hard in practice?  So when they win,  they're not tired but when they lose,  they're tired?  I got news for you,  if you make a habit of falling down DDs in games,  chances are you won't be able to complete the comebacks and yes,  you'll run out of gas.  HINT...  play better at the start of games so you don't tire yourself out trying to claw your way back into games. 

This was a tournament type game to me that we couldn’t find a way to win. Matchups are going to be key in the tournament. If we catch a team that gets hot from 3 then we’re in trouble. Our guys have to learn how to win these tough games when it really counts. Tough loss, but we still have better days ahead. Let’s win the next 2 and wrap up the SEC.

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Mighty brave of you to delve into my post history and get back to my quote in such a timely manner.  Kudos to you. 

I don't know what you're saying..  Is Auburn's schedule too taxing?  Is Pearl coaching them up too hard in practice?  So when they win,  they're not tired but when they lose,  they're tired?  I got news for you,  if you make a habit of falling down DDs in games,  chances are you won't be able to complete the comebacks and yes,  you'll run out of gas.  HINT...  play better at the start of games so you don't tire yourself out trying to claw back into the game. 

No diving into your history needed.

I'm saying I'll take the things taught by a guy that was in charge of athletic training at Auburn since the day's of Shug over yours. I will also take my own Division I athletic experiences also.

I'm also saying there are reasons that Pearl has gone to no contact practices for the rest of the season (injuries, fatigue, etc).

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/02/auburn_basketball_wont_have_co.html

Also I believe in Yerkes- Dodson Law when it comes to athletics. Which with factors such as fatigue, or even the elimination of contact in practice, could lead to the players coming in at a low level of arousal. Thus why they are falling behind and making careless mistakes. The falling behind then increases the sense of urgency them pushing to optimal performance. Problem is if they shift to a higher anxiety level then you again start making careless mistakes and bad decisions to overcompensate.

So your Kentucky's (name/tradition) and Alabama's (due to the rivalry) build a more adequate emotional arousal level going in right now than you lower mid tier games.

Here is some news for you, falling down in DD's occurs due to the reasons listed above involving emotion, fatigue and focus. HINT..... depth is your friend in resolving said issues throughout a season, especially towards the end.

A tough loss. I liked that we had a lead in the second half, even though we didn't complete the task at the end. I think that's important.

Arkansas is much more daunting than Florida, IMO, but if we are truly meant to win the SEC regular season title, we have to show it against one of better opponents in SEC at their venue. I don't think we'll lose to South Carolina at home, so the game on Tuesday night will be telling. 

53 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm saying I'll take the things taught by a guy that was in charge of athletic training at Auburn since the day's of Shug over yours. I will also take my own Division I athletic experiences also.

I'm also saying there are reasons that Pearl has gone to no contact practices for the rest of the season (injuries, fatigue, etc).

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/02/auburn_basketball_wont_have_co.html

Also I believe in Yerkes- Dodson Law when it comes to athletics. Which with factors such as fatigue, or even the elimination of contact in practice, could lead to the players coming in at a low level of arousal. Thus why they are falling behind and making careless mistakes. The falling behind then increases the sense of urgency them pushing to optimal performance. Problem is if they shift to a higher anxiety level then you again start making careless mistakes and bad decisions to overcompensate.

So your Kentucky's (name/tradition) and Alabama's (due to the rivalry) build a more adequate emotional arousal level going in right now than you lower mid tier games.

Here is some news for you, falling down in DD's occurs due to the reasons listed above involving emotion, fatigue and focus. HINT..... depth is your friend in resolving said issues throughout a season, especially towards the end.

You were either born yesterday or haven't been paying close attention.  Auburn has made it a history of coming from behind in games that dates back to the start of SEC play or to be more specific,  the Old Miss game. This isn't about two terrible losses to teams that couldn't buy a win. It's about Auburn's habit of falling behind early in games and gassing themselves out trying to claw their way back into games.   You can blame some of that on injuries but quite it with the fatigue and no contact practices.  Do you think Auburn is the only team in the country that faces issues with fatigue and injuries?  Next man up!!! 

As far as the no contact practices...  That wasn't the case at the start of SEC play and even at that,  it may account for lack of intensity on the defensive end or bonehead fouling but it doesn't account for ill advised shot selection and sloppy,  careless turnovers. 

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, all that this team has been through with the investigations, the injuries, and its complain complain complain. These kids are pushing the limits physically and emotionally right now I bet.

Man I would of hated having you guys as parents when I was playing travel ball. Imagine after a sluggish game one, you guys sitting in the restaurant at the hotel, omg we suck, we are doomed, blah blah blah. Would of been amazing for the moral on the days when you had 2 hour turn around with 3 games left to play that day to move on. Just what I would of wanted to hear after Game One that started at 6am.

Like!!!

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

You were either born yesterday or haven't been paying close attention.  Auburn has made it a history of coming from behind in games that dates back to the start of SEC play or to be more specific,  the Old Miss game. This isn't about two terrible losses to teams that couldn't buy a win. It's about Auburn's habit of falling behind early in games and gassing themselves out trying to claw their way back into games.   You can blame some of that on injuries but quite it with the fatigue and no contact practices.  Do you think Auburn is the only team in the country that faces issues with fatigue and injuries?  Next man up!!! 

As far as the no contact practices...  That wasn't the case at the start of SEC play and even at that,  it may account for lack of intensity on the defensive end or bonehead fouling but it doesn't account for ill advised shot selection and sloppy,  careless turnovers. 

Cool. I will go with you then.... Auburn athletics sucks at all levels and we will never having the coaches or the players to have an elite program at any sport.

So we suck at starting games and Pearl sucks at motivating his players to play first halves. That is all there is to it then. We have undisciplined habits instilled by an undisciplined coach that leads to incredibly poor play. Good thing we won't be a number one seed, we would probably lose and our program would be the laughing stock of college basketball and nobody would every come here to coach or play again.

Yes, I really did think that Auburn was the only team that suffered from fatigue and injuries, I honestly thought that all the other teams in the country were immune to it. I thought all the teams only used 5 players the entire time and had zero depth. The Dukes, Kansas, North Carolina's of the world...... they even have players on the bench?

So there you go, you win. Undisciplined team, coach, and habits... we suck.

44 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Cool. I will go with you then.... Auburn athletics sucks at all levels and we will never having the coaches or the players to have an elite program at any sport.

So we suck at starting games and Pearl sucks at motivating his players to play first halves. That is all there is to it then. We have undisciplined habits instilled by an undisciplined coach that leads to incredibly poor play. Good thing we won't be a number one seed, we would probably lose and our program would be the laughing stock of college basketball and nobody would every come here to coach or play again.

Yes, I really did think that Auburn was the only team that suffered from fatigue and injuries, I honestly thought that all the other teams in the country were immune to it. I thought all the teams only used 5 players the entire time and had zero depth. The Dukes, Kansas, North Carolina's of the world...... they even have players on the bench?

So there you go, you win. Undisciplined team, coach, and habits... we suck.

That depends...  If we're talking about Gus then yeah,  he does kinda suck however,  I will not sit ildly by and listen to you bad mouth coach Pearl and his coaching staff.  That is outragrageously inappropriate and I mean,  how dare you on so many levels. He's doing a great job as the Auburn head coach amidst all the angst,  controversy and turmoil surrounding the basketball program coming into the season.  It's such a breathe of fresh air after watching a smiling trainwreck of a head coach with a brand new contract extension underachieve his way to another emphatic bowl loss to a non power five conference team. 

Now that we're done putting words into each other's mouth,  have a nice day! 

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Bill Nye in the house.

J/K!!! Thought you might have been talking about my wedding night with all that talk about fatigue, anxiety, arousal, and lack of depth.

8 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I take it you have never played organized sports then

:-\  It has been a while...

but back to my point....team will soon be in SEC tournament playing games on consecutive days..or one day rest....  and where all games matter.   Gotta be ready for the mental side of the game.

I just thought we played poorly in the first half and made a couple mental mistakes late in the game. All this banter aside. Lol

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is a great sign. The basketball posts last year were filled with apathy. You want these raw emotional posts where it hurts like hell when we lose. It is exactly like a football post. First time in awhile where we are playing meaningful basketball games this late in the year. We are playing for a championship. Of course we are going to be MAD AF at the chance to at least get a share of it. I expect that kind of reaction when we lose a game we should of won to clinch a share of the sec title.... IN BASKETBALL!!! We are the better basketball team. That is why we are so upset.

Auburn hasn't sniffed this air in so long. I don't even know, and I admittedly am not checking to verify, if the basketball threads went 11 pages in late February of last season. I'm going to guess no. February was almost over this season before Auburn lost it's 5th basketball game. That usually happens in early January folks. It's great seeing the passion for this team. I'm disappointed they turned the ball over so much and could have shot better from behind the arc. They went to the line about half as much as their average so that's at least 6-8 points right there. They rebounded very well too. I think they'll be fine. It's hard to win on the road in the SEC. We're already spoiled because they've played so well up to now that we expect a win every game. That's huge for Auburn basketball. Auburn, a basketball school. Who'd have thought. 

Didn’t watch the first half, but the difference in the game and the only reason AU lost was the guy hitting the threes for Florida.   In the last five games, he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.    His last game he didn’t even score.   Auburn had the lead and that guy comes down and hits another three and that sealed the win for Florida.   

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

My exact thoughts after the USC game last weekend. It really shows how far this team has come when a b-ball loss feels like a loss in football.

42 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

aDidn’t watch the first half, but the difference in the game and the only reason AU lost was the guy hitting the threes for Florida.   In the last five games, he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.    His last game he didn’t even score.   Auburn had the lead and that guy comes down and hits another three and that sealed the win for Florida.   

2 issues that Auburn has to correct. 

1. In the FL game, with 16 TOs, that was bad enough, but announcers said they got 13 pts off of it. Even if you turn it over, if you make stops, then it's a wash, but it seemed we were a step behind after we turned it over, and they got fairly easy buckets. AND Harper again had a bad game from our PG spot. 

2. Not guarding the player that scored 25 after scoring 0 the game before is ridiculous D on our part. I saw Pearl chewing on Brown after a TO, as he was suppose to guard him I think, and ofc he scored key baskets at the end of the game.

Seems like all the stats except Turnovers were good enough to win the game...not great and couple UF guys were hot but still, we could have overcome that with better ball security.    Two losses lately where we started off losing the ball about as many times as we got shots in the first half.

We are probably going to win the SEC championship no matter what but it sure would be nice to see the team not get into the come from behind mode every game when SEC and NCAA tournament time arrives..

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

:-\  It has been a while...

but back to my point....team will soon be in SEC tournament playing games on consecutive days..or one day rest....  and where all games matter.   Gotta be ready for the mental side of the game.

Back to my point about the Florida game. Not the SEC tournament.

So, we as fans, should not consider any extenuating circumstances when judging how the team will play or played in a particular game?  Should we as fans expect them to play perfectly every game? Or should fans use a bit of discernment when expecting a win or loss?

My point in the original post was not judging whether the team was ready to play or not. But our expectations, as fans, on how they will play. To think the team would play at perfect pitch,on the road, three days after beating bamr is foolish.

*enters forum* *reads first few analyses* *backs out of forum to verify it says basketball and not football*. Lol. Bad game. Team played bad. Didn't execute. Two more chances to claim a ship. I like those chances. WDE

The losses at SC and Florida point at Harper as do all of the wins. When Harper has an off game we are hurting. When he is on we Win we have over 20 wins because he is on and he just played one of the best games of his life against bama. He was tired both emotionally and physically from that game.  Different types of turnovers affect whether the other team scores easily. A turnover under the basket does not usually lead to an easy basket as we have players between the turnover and the basket we are defending. A turnover near mid-court usually leads to an easy basket.  We had some lazy passes out front we  had some players who waited for a pass to arrive instead of stepping to the pass.  We also had one of those nights where when we do something good it ends up an easy basket. A strip that bounces to a player under the basket.  There were multiple times we got a hand on the ball and yet it seemed to go to a different Fla. player. It happens. Also I think they were emotionally tired from the previous game against bama. Because of being so short handed they all played harder than usual and it was a high paced game which is draining.  Losing McLemore hurts because of his shot blocking, rebounding, and the occasional 3 he puts in when we are in a slump.  But the biggest impact is with one more solid body we usually wear the other team out. 

I don't know if you noticed but we did not do the semi-press on the inbound as much in the last two games as we had in the past. That semi-press doesn't do much in the first half but wears down the other teams guards. That pays dividends in the second half.  We are still a very good team without McLemore but his loss takes a strength our depth and makes it a weakness.  Not many teams go 9 deep with all 9 being quality players.

Archived