Obama comments on NCAA problems

AU64

I'm not much of an Obama fan but I'm 100% on board with his comment about the NCAA and the need for the NBA to establish the "G" league as an alternative to the one and done for the more talented HS players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/2e9fbbec-2f02-3615-acd5-b6c29261611f/barack-obama-asserts.html

With his interest in sports and his probable ability to influence the NBA players association I would be happy to see him take up this challenge and perhaps be the first commissioner for the G League and get the NCAA and NBA out of this mess.  Have heard some talk about the new league but nobody has had the juice to pull it off.   Hoping his apparent interest is the real thing. 

I have liked this idea for about a decade. The kids make the money. They need to get their share of the profits...They do the risks and insuarance coverage is SURE to folow.

12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Tomorrow's Fox News headline:

Obama Proposes Killing College Basketball

Incorrect.  You left out Hillary, which is a mistake that Fox News would never make.  A more accurate headline would be:

Leaked E-Mail Bombshell:  Hillary Clinton Planned to Enact Obama's Proposal to Kill College Basketball

Must have posted this to the wrong place....thought this was the site for some serious political talk....but looks like smack talk and SA comments are the order of the day here. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Must have posted this to the wrong place....thought this was the site for some serious political talk....but looks like smack talk and SA comments are the order of the day here. 

Jokes aside, Obama certainly has the profile and enthusiasm to get something done.  The NCAA is obviously a powerful entity, but a former President of the United States has a lot of weight to throw around as well.

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry dude.  It's not the weightiest of political topics and the Obama connection was just a fat pitch right down the middle of the plate. :)

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Jokes aside, Obama certainly has the profile and enthusiasm to get something done.  The NCAA is obviously a powerful entity, but a former President of the United States has a lot of weight to throw around as well.

Agree....and I'm hoping he was actually serious about his comment and not just making an off-hand comment for political reasons.  

The situation badly needs changing and if he is serious about it, I'm guessing he could push the players association (which is the primary cause of the one and done stuff) to relent and let the superior HS players move forward without the sham of being serious college student athletes.    Like baseball, the teams could include college tuition in their contracts for those who are serious about an education and don't want to wait 3 or 4 years to play professional. 

Re Homer's comment....JMO but the problem is not the NCAA , it is the players association which will not allow players to come directly into the league.  NCAA is just a bunch of educational bureaucrats trying to oversee a billion dollar business.   College basketball would be far better off without a bunch of transient players and the hangers-on who don't worry about NCAA rules.   JMO

Archived