Holy Cow! Copperhead in Laundry hamper

While researching deaths in Florida, I was surprised by how deaths from lightning strikes have declined to about 5 per year from 20 something.

I figured those would actually be higher than that.

Edited by homersapien

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

While researching deaths in Florida, I was surprised by how deaths from lightning strikes have declined to about 5 per year from 20 something.

Same here lots of fisherman in Frorida holding 7ft lightning rods.........been caught in the Gulf more than a few times when a thunderstorm appears to far off only to have it on top of you in a matter of minutes

7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Same here lots of fisherman in Frorida holding 7ft lightning rods.........been caught in the Gulf more than a few times when a thunderstorm appears to far off only to have it on top of you in a matter of minutes

Better electronics in tracking storms on boats, better off shore communications. Fisherman have also gone to faster boats with the ability to get out of harms way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Bear Joke

Baptist preacher riding his horse down a trail. Big bear runs onto the trail,  the horse jumps and throws preacher. Preacher gets up and is facing the bear.

Preacher: looks to to the sky, "Lord please let this be a Christian bear."

Bear: bows his head with paws clasped, " Lord, thank you for this meal that I am about to partake." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Better electronics in tracking storms on boats, better off shore communications. Fisherman have also gone to faster boats with the ability to get out of harms way.

I would have thought the bigger problem was on golf courses.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bear Joke

Baptist preacher riding his horse down a trail. Big bear runs onto the trail,  the horse jumps and throws preacher. Preacher gets up and is facing the bear.

Bear: bows his head with paws clasped, " Lord, thank you for this meal that I am about to partake." 

LMAO!  :laugh:   That's way better than my best bear joke:

A park ranger was lecturing a group of hikers before they departed on a hike about the dangers of hiking in grizzly country.  He gave them small silver bells to hang on their clothing so they wouldn't inadvertently come up on and surprise a bear.

One hiker raised his hand to ask how they would know if they were in bear country.

The ranger replied, by observing bear scat.

The hiker asked how they would know it was bear scat.

The ranger said it would probably have small silver bells in it. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Very true Salty........amazing todays electronics compared to 30 years ago.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, kevon67 said:

More golfers carrying one irons cause God knows no one can hit a one iron.....................get it...................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

More golfers carrying one irons cause God knows no one can hit a one iron.....................get it...................................

The version i heard is" if a storm pops up, hold up the One iron because God can't even hit a one iron" but your version works too, i guess.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 12:33 PM, homersapien said:

I found that surprising  - 25 attacks per year.  That's pretty rare, but it's still more than I would have expected.  I suppose it's all relative though.  On average there's 40 deaths per year in Florida from bee stings.

A few years back, I scared a bear away from the house by firing into the air with my shotgun. 

Later, I read about a fatal bear attack in Algonquin Park, which we had recently visited.  Until then, I never really considered them much of a threat.

It occurred to me that when I chased the bear off with my shotgun, it happened to be with loaded with skeet shells, which were the first shells I grabbed.  Obviously, you wouldn't want skeet loads if you suddenly had to stop a charging bear, no matter how unlikely it might be.  

Just shoot him in the face and blind him. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

The version i heard is" if a storm pops up, hold up the One iron because God can't even hit a one iron" but your version works too, i guess.

That's true but a side note Hogan was a one iron machine. I used it a lot to drive on some shorter dogleg par four's if I couldn't carry the dogleg. I topped out at about 230 with the one iron and could hit a draw, fade or straight one of my favorites clubs

40 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

That's true but a side note Hogan was a one iron machine. I used it a lot to drive on some shorter dogleg par four's if I couldn't carry the dogleg. I topped out at about 230 with the one iron and could hit a draw, fade or straight one of my favorites clubs

I was a two iron guy. For years I fought a smother hook with every club except driver. And I honestly didn’t know where it was going. This was during tiger woods “stinger” days ( I was about a 2 handicap) so I adopted that shot. And I smoked it. Very consistent and would roll it out 260 at times. There were rounds I’d only use driver on par 5s and reachable par 4s but I would have been MUCH better off to stay with the deuce. My availability to play golf went from twice a week to 3-4 times a year. So I don’t even carry a deuce now. I got a 3 wood/ metal and a hybrid. Without bragging I’m still a legendary two iron player in these parts. If I just had the time... I ain’t too old.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was a two iron guy. For years I fought a smother hook with every club except driver. And I honestly didn’t know where it was going. This was during tiger woods “stinger” days ( I was about a 2 handicap) so I adopted that shot. And I smoked it. Very consistent and would roll it out 260 at times. There were rounds I’d only use driver on par 5s and reachable par 4s but I would have been MUCH better off to stay with the deuce. My availability to play golf went from twice a week to 3-4 times a year. So I don’t even carry a deuce now. I got a 3 wood/ metal and a hybrid. Without bragging I’m still a legendary two iron player in these parts. If I just had the time... I ain’t too old.

Good stuff with a 2 handicap and hitting stingers I would want you to tee off first with that deuce all the time to keep it in play. Then come behind you with the drivers to see if we could do better in a scramble.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Good stuff with a 2 handicap and hitting stingers I would want you to tee off first with that deuce all the time to keep it in play. Then come behind you with the drivers to see if we could do better in a scramble.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I just played it off my back foot and had a very strong grip. It bottomed out hot. I just started it out right and it might draw 5 yards or hook 20, never pushed right.  but I could always play the next one. It actually caused other bad habits. I got addicted to playing everything back in my stance and had way too strong of a grip. For a couple years even wedges were very low and spinning crazy left. A couple really good local amateurs informed me I played the ball like Azinger. I was very consistent (except the occasional skinny skull shot. But limited with shot selection. Front right pins were impossible and a fade was out of the question.  

I played a ton of scrambles because that’s was nearly the only competition around but preferred regular stroke play or best ball. The only part of scramble I liked is getting to watch 1-3 putts before I rolled it. 

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

I would have thought the bigger problem was on golf courses.

It is a bigger problem Brother Homer. Boats run lousy on golf courses ?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I just played it off my back foot and had a very strong grip. It bottomed out hot. I just started it out right and it might draw 5 yards or hook 20, never pushed right.  but I could always play the next one. It actually caused other bad habits. I got addicted to playing everything back in my stance and had way too strong of a grip. For a couple years even wedges were very low and spinning crazy left. A couple really good local amateurs informed me I played the ball like Azinger. I was very consistent (except the occasional skinny skull shot. But limited with shot selection. Front right pins were impossible and a fade was out of the question.  

I played a ton of scrambles because that’s was nearly the only competition around but preferred regular stroke play or best ball. The only part of scramble I liked is getting to watch 1-3 putts before I rolled it. 

Well now we're talking some big bucks....But the overly strong grip can screw you up like you said. I stay away from them except for certain hook shots. Why could you not hit a fade with a few changes to your grip and stance it should work. They were correct about Azinger

5 hours ago, alexava said:

Just shoot him in the face and blind him. 

Right!  

And if I had a .22, I could have shot him first in one eye then the other.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:26 PM, alexava said:

Not sure if original with Mr. Trevino, but first place I'd heard it. 

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." Lee Trevino
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/lee_trevino

On 6/22/2018 at 9:06 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Bear Joke

On 6/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, homersapien said:

LMAO!  :laugh:   That's way better than my best bear joke:

A park ranger was lecturing a group of hikers before they departed on a hike about the dangers of hiking in grizzly country.  He gave them small silver bells to hang on their clothing so they wouldn't inadvertently come up on and surprise a bear.

One hiker raised his hand to ask how they would know if they were in bear country.

The ranger replied, by observing bear scat.

The hiker asked how they would know it was bear scat.

The ranger said it would probably have small silver bells in it. 

Probably sufficiently old and familiar that I can post in a format that I've come to call Joke Jeopardy.

Punch line = But I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

One of my favorite bears

Seems we're drifting far afield from laundry hampers.

This bear joke does depend on lengthy delivery and comedic timing.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Seems we're drifting far afield from laundry hampers.

This bear joke does depend on lengthy delivery and comedic timing.

True it may not pertain to laundry hampers........still makes for a great thread?