The Trump effect on Healthcare premiums

RunInRed

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

BS.  It's exactly the same as avoiding income tax by not having income as you stated.

So are you saying that someone with $0 would be exempt from the individual mandate altogether? What I am trying to say is that if you earn no income then you never owe any income tax. If you are poor then you get exempted from paying the fine for not having insurance. Here is a statement from Politifact prior to the repeal.

"Not everyone without insurance has to pay the fine. The list of exemptions is long. It includes a family with income under $20,800; people who have suffered domestic violence in the household; anyone who has suffered the death of a close family member; someone who has received a utility shut-off notice, and more."

So I will agree with you that is both the case of income tax and individual mandate that one can avoid PAYING the tax. But not paying income tax when you earn no income does not require an exemption.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So are you saying that someone with $0 would be exempt from the individual mandate altogether? What I am trying to say is that if you earn no income then you never owe any income tax. If you are poor then you get exempted from paying the fine for not having insurance. Here is a statement from Politifact prior to the repeal.

"Not everyone without insurance has to pay the fine. The list of exemptions is long. It includes a family with income under $20,800; people who have suffered domestic violence in the household; anyone who has suffered the death of a close family member; someone who has received a utility shut-off notice, and more."

So I will agree with you that is both the case of income tax and individual mandate that one can avoid PAYING the tax. But not paying income tax when you earn no income does not require an exemption.

Seriously?  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

Seriously?  :rolleyes:

Look, I realize that you are not as literal as I am, but there IS a difference between not owing something and not having to pay something that you owe. Either way, we have beat this horse to death.

Archived