the X's and O's of Malzahn's Offense

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's what jumped out at me. Even if you only do watch one half of one of those games, you'll see more of that than we've seen in any half of AU football going back at least to 2014, and it's not close. That's the kind of stuff that can lead one to reasonably conclude that Chip was on a leash last season. 

I think it was a combo of Chip and Stidham being on a leash so to speak. Malzahn constantly preaches about protecting the football and putting his QBs in situations to reduce turnovers. I’m convinced that especially against lesser opponents, we purposefully avoid any crossing intermediate routes in order to minimize turnovers. I’m sure JJs early 2015 INT dispensery didnt help Malzahns heart burn either. 

Everything is either screens, to the sidelines or bombs. One of my favorite plays we ran last year was in our SEC champ loss. Our TD pass was a zone read look that went to Nate on a slant. It’s brilliant because we are so run heavy in the redzone and hardly ever throw to the middle especially. The zone read puts the LBs in a bind and helps open up the window for the WR. 

We could use more of that. Especially if we used a TE and snuck him up the seam using the same style play action look.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived