Tariffs impact on American businesses

TexasTiger

There is no doubt that retaliatory Tariffs is hurting the agricultural sector and if we get into a full scale trade war other sectors also. At the same time we have been hurt by foreign tariff's or dumping in other Industries and we have never defended those industries. We have gone from past administrations both Democratic and Republican that looked the other way when China, Mexico and even some of our allies did not play fairly to Trump who probably has the basic right idea of protecting our industries but is doing it in a way that will either work really well or cause a Trade war. I wish previous administrations had been stronger in protecting American trade and that Trump was a little less blunt in the way he goes about it.

I believe Trump is right to try and protect us but I wish he didn't swing for the fences where we either hit a home run or strikeout. The weaknesses of previous administrations has helped put us in this position.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Thanks......good advice....as I suggested somewhere on here a few days ago.....folks are spending far too much time trying to analyze those tweets and not paying enough attention to what is actually happening.   The tweets are a side show and pretty easy to agree that it would be nice to see them come to an end....but the tweets are actually having little affect on the real world …..even our "allies" who get bent out of shape over some (or many of them) eventually find themselves making deals with DT that fall along the lines of his  way of thinking.   

On 7/26/2018 at 2:50 PM, AU64 said:

Thanks......good advice....as I suggested somewhere on here a few days ago.....folks are spending far too much time trying to analyze those tweets and not paying enough attention to what is actually happening.   The tweets are a side show and pretty easy to agree that it would be nice to see them come to an end....but the tweets are actually having little affect on the real world …..even our "allies" who get bent out of shape over some (or many of them) eventually find themselves making deals with DT that fall along the lines of his  way of thinking.   

Link to confirmed “deals”?

On 7/23/2018 at 8:25 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

There is no doubt that retaliatory Tariffs is hurting the agricultural sector and if we get into a full scale trade war other sectors also. At the same time we have been hurt by foreign tariff's or dumping in other Industries and we have never defended those industries. We have gone from past administrations both Democratic and Republican that looked the other way when China, Mexico and even some of our allies did not play fairly to Trump who probably has the basic right idea of protecting our industries but is doing it in a way that will either work really well or cause a Trade war. I wish previous administrations had been stronger in protecting American trade and that Trump was a little less blunt in the way he goes about it.

I believe Trump is right to try and protect us but I wish he didn't swing for the fences where we either hit a home run or strikeout. The weaknesses of previous administrations has helped put us in this position.

I agree. But I also don’t think trump is doing anything with the American worker in mind. He is doing it for other reasons the main one being spite. 

If he was serious about jobs and income he could have handled this with the tax cuts and not needed tariffs. American companies that outsource labor should be ineligible for the tax cut. 

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/dont-believe-the-hype-about-trumps-trade-deal-with-the-european-union

Don’t Believe the Hype About Trump’s Trade Deal with the European Union

This is an article that is working hard to try and make it look like Trump did not achieve anything. Its basic premise is if Trump hadn't have beat his chest the same concessions probably would have been made. Apparently the author is prescient in that he knows that without some pressure the Europeans would have done this. It is strange that they hadn't done it till after Trump put out Tariffs. Before Juncker arrived he and the Europeans said they would not negotiate while we had the tariffs and then they negotiated.

While he may be right it eventually would have happened we didn't have to wait a year or two for it to happen.  For many years the free trade agreements have been one sided with much heavier tariffs or subsidies/Protectionism on American imports to other counties products being imported to the US. Obama knew it and tried to negotiate but only with the carrot and never with the stick. You need both or your are negotiating from a position of weakness. Now if only Trump would quit the grandstanding often almost irrational tweets but stick to the same basic policies I would be happy with the way he stands up for the US.

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is an article that is working hard to try and make it look like Trump did not achieve anything. Its basic premise is if Trump hadn't have beat his chest the same concessions probably would have been made. Apparently the author is prescient in that he knows that without some pressure the Europeans would have done this. It is strange that they hadn't done it till after Trump put out Tariffs. Before Juncker arrived he and the Europeans said they would not negotiate while we had the tariffs and then they negotiated.

While he may be right it eventually would have happened we didn't have to wait a year or two for it to happen.  For many years the free trade agreements have been one sided with much heavier tariffs or subsidies/Protectionism on American imports to other counties products being imported to the US. Obama knew it and tried to negotiate but only with the carrot and never with the stick. You need both or your are negotiating from a position of weakness. Now if only Trump would quit the grandstanding often almost irrational tweets but stick to the same basic policies I would be happy with the way he stands up for the US.

No, the author simply acknowledged the Europeans committed to these deals previously.  After all they are our allies, or at least use to be. Why treat them as hostile?

Resorting to tariffs immediately without first trying diplomacy was foolish and impulsive.  It only weakened our ability to confront China with Europe as an ally.

Trump did it because he is foolish, impulsive and he thought it would make him look like a strong man for his supporters.  In fact, it was counter-productive.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

No, the author simply acknowledged the Europeans committed to these deals previously.  After all they are our allies, or at least use to be. Why treat them as hostile?

Resorting to tariffs immediately without first trying diplomacy was foolish and impulsive.  It only weakened our ability to confront China with Europe as an ally.

Trump did it because he is foolish, impulsive and he thought it would make him look like a strong man for his supporters.  In fact, it was counter-productive.

At no place did the article say it was already being done it said things like:

" Juncker’s pledge that the E.U. would import more U.S.-grown soybeans, for instance, formalized something that was likely to happen anyway. "

On Natural gas article said:

" But, again, such a result may well have occurred without Wednesday’s agreement."

To me it is clear this article is an opinion piece in that we have to believe the author that it would have occurred anyway because he says so.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

At no place did the article say it was already being done it said things like:

" Juncker’s pledge that the E.U. would import more U.S.-grown soybeans, for instance, formalized something that was likely to happen anyway. "

On Natural gas article said:

" But, again, such a result may well have occurred without Wednesday’s agreement."

To me it is clear this article is an opinion piece in that we have to believe the author that it would have occurred anyway because he says so.

Clearly it is an opinion piece.

And you don't have to believe it at all.  You are free to believe Wilbur Ross's hype that this "agreement" vindicates Trump trade policies.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Clearly it is an opinion piece.

And you don't have to believe it at all.  You are free to believe Wilbur Ross's hype that this "agreement" vindicates Trump trade policies.

Homer,

A little consistency would be nice. First you refute my statement with this statement:

" No, the author simply acknowledged the Europeans committed to these deals previously. "

That was not true.

When I took quotes from the very article you were pointing at showing that is not what the author said you say  clearly it was an opinion piece.  Which was the exact point I was making. There were no previous deals that were already there. Whether they might have happened who knows.

I am not a Trump lover there are things I don't like about him.I especially dislike how the tax cuts were not matched with spending cuts.  But many of the economic experts claimed the sky was falling when Trump was elected, we would be back in a recession in a few months. Instead the stock market has risen dramatically growth in last quarter was 4.1%. 

Will some of  the things he does come back and bite us, possibly but considering the people who are telling us he is wrong on everything he does have incorrectly said he could never be elected and that his policy would not allow growth. Over the last two years they have been wrong.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Homer,

A little consistency would be nice. First you refute my statement with this statement:

" No, the author simply acknowledged the Europeans committed to these deals previously. "

That was not true.

When I took quotes from the very article you were pointing at showing that is not what the author said you say  clearly it was an opinion piece.  Which was the exact point I was making. There were no previous deals that were already there. Whether they might have happened who knows.

I am not a Trump lover there are things I don't like about him.I especially dislike how the tax cuts were not matched with spending cuts.  But many of the economic experts claimed the sky was falling when Trump was elected, we would be back in a recession in a few months. Instead the stock market has risen dramatically growth in last quarter was 4.1%. 

Will some of  the things he does come back and bite us, possibly but considering the people who are telling us he is wrong on everything he does have incorrectly said he could never be elected and that his policy would not allow growth. Over the last two years they have been wrong.

Well, if you want to get technical, there are no new deals now.  There was a agreement to do something in both cases. 

But like the article suggested, it doesn't take much for Trump to declare victory.  It reminds me a little bit of "Mission Accomplished".

I don't recall many economists predicting we would be in recession in a few months after his election.  That doesn't even sound plausible.

Finally, I don't depend on the same people who predict elections to analyze policy.  And the economy has been growing on a steady trend for years now.  Trump is not responsible for that.  The effects on the economy from Trump's policies - especially on trade - will take another year or two to manifest themselves on the trend line.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:07 PM, homersapien said:

Well, if you want to get technical, there are no new deals now.  There was a agreement to do something in both cases. 

But like the article suggested, it doesn't take much for Trump to declare victory.  It reminds me a little bit of "Mission Accomplished".

I don't recall many economists predicting we would be in recession in a few months after his election.  That doesn't even sound plausible.

Finally, I don't depend on the same people who predict elections to analyze policy.  And the economy has been growing on a steady trend for years now.  Trump is not responsible for that.  The effects on the economy from Trump's policies - especially on trade - will take another year or two to manifest themselves on the trend line.

Published in the NYT the day after the election in 2016.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016/paul-krugman-the-economic-fallout

9 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Thanks.....haven't  seen PK on the morning business shows in quite a while.     Some day when there is a big market drop, I'm sure he will be back on CNBC or MSNBC to let everyone know that he predicted it   If you take time to check the other "predictions" on that same site, you have to laugh at how badly people misjudged the effect of the DT election.    Merkel the new leader of NATO.....what a joke.....she's liable to be out of office soon and Germany can't even make it's pitiful NATO commitments. 

:)   If you didn't realize it was NYT in Oct 2016 you would think that was some kind of April Fool edition. 

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks.....haven't  seen PK on the morning business shows in quite a while.     Some day when there is a big market drop, I'm sure he will be back on CNBC or MSNBC to let everyone know that he predicted it   If you take time to check the other "predictions" on that same site, you have to laugh at how badly people misjudged the effect of the DT election.    Merkel the new leader of NATO.....what a joke.....she's liable to be out of office soon and Germany can't even make it's pitiful NATO commitments. 

:)   If you didn't realize it was NYT in Oct 2016 you would think that was some kind of April Fool edition. 

It was November of 2016......This statement is precisely why I find it funny the Left has such an issue with DT calling out the main stream media as FAKE NEWS.  As a conservative my whole life, I've never blindly believed what the media reports.  BTW, that means I don't blindly believe what Fox News says either (Homer).  The Fake News is just as guilty of slanting the news by what they choose not to report.  As far a PK goes....maybe he moved away from the US after Trump's election...he would probably have to go to South America though because he is wrong so often, not even Canada would take him!!!  

2 hours ago, auburn41 said:

It was November of 2016......This statement is precisely why I find it funny the Left has such an issue with DT calling out the main stream media as FAKE NEWS.  As a conservative my whole life, I've never blindly believed what the media reports.  BTW, that means I don't blindly believe what Fox News says either (Homer).  The Fake News is just as guilty of slanting the news by what they choose not to report.  As far a PK goes....maybe he moved away from the US after Trump's election...he would probably have to go to South America though because he is wrong so often, not even Canada would take him!!!  

France or Italy....that's my bet...probably in tune with his politics and economic views......and not bad places to live either I guess.  

Archived