Nate Craig-Myers

War to the Eagle

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

not only are they not getting paid, now they're going in debt because they don't want to have their career wasted...lol 

not to mention they'd be repaying an institution that's like top 10 in revenue and builds all these insane gimmicks to attract THEM in the first place. just think your post over for a second 

I will stay out of the personal stuff with NCM. These dudes get paid though.

As an individual that was Division 1 athlete before things like practice time rules I will say I'd love to of had what these kids get. Full scholarships, free gear, best tutors, awesome business connections, and much much more. Nothing like trying to write a paper, on a bus, with a flashlight, at 2 am in the morning with pen and paper.

Now I am all for paying them. Drop the scholarships and the perks, pay them what they are (AAA or AHL level players). Hey congrats, sign your 4 year contract, $30-40K a year during season, and good luck. Then just to be nice, toss in a little tuition reimbursement a year. They can get loans for the rest of the stuff like everyone else who's job doesn't cover everything while they are in school.

Business's do the exact same thing. We got these benefits, you get these hours, we give you a laptap, a car, or a phone, we have an onsite gym, this is our vacation package, we provide a membership to these organizations, we offer this amount of tuition reimbursement etc etc. Hell, I'm starting a new job in couple weeks that pays more, works less hours, and instead of dealing with Austin traffic, I will now spend it in their onsite state of the art gym.

Course my other organization is taking my accrued PTO (time earned via hours I put in) from me vs paying it out. So technically I am paying them for leaving. I have a friend of mine that used tuition reimbursement for a masters with a Fortune 500 company. They required you to stay on X amount of time. He had to repay that amount when he didn't meet those obligations. Mean you could even go as far as mentioning that business's do have non-compete/restrictive covenants.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think so.  I think some people still believe that college football is all about amateurism and fail to see that giant business it's become.  If it's OK to be a business for the coaches, then it's absolutely OK for it to be looked at in the same way from the players.  Every other kid in college can transfer anywhere at any time, yet we're supposed to hold football players to a different standard?  Give me a freaking break.

Having been one, there is alot of difference between a scholarship athlete and every other kid in college. Especially if you look at from a business stand point.

Just like in business, you know there are different standards for different level employees based on their public image. Mail-clerk gets wasted on 6th and does stupid stuff nobody cares, hell they don't even know who he is. CEO does it, it is known and frowned upon and potentially damaging.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Dude has to be trolling.

Yep...his favorite past time...]:)

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

How do you figure? The season isnt over. Hes a quitter.

I’m no expert here. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I don’t have a degree from AU. Never even went to school there (even though that’s one life decision I had back). Just been a fan of AU ever since I’ve been old enough to remember. How does it work? Does he get to finish out this semester and then transfer? Or does he get to finish the entire year paid up? At most, with your thinking I’m guessing, he MIGHT owe only tuition from this season. But the way college football players are exploited, paying his tuition for this semester or year seems more than fair enough to me

I think the bigger loss might be the DB brother.  He was making plays during fall camp and Auburn needs more depth in that spot.

Auburn will honor their scholarship through the end of the semester per Gus this evening on Tiger Talk.  

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

What if the Myers brohers ended up at Alabama and they put BIG numbers. Now that would be funny. Right Gus?

What happens when Auburn benefits from such players who left their current school for more PT here,.  Like on the offensive line?

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

As an individual that was Division 1 athlete before things like practice time rules I will say I'd love to of had what these kids get. Full scholarships, free gear, best tutors, awesome business connections, and much much more. Nothing like trying to write a paper, on a bus, with a flashlight, at 2 am in the morning with pen and paper.

Now I am all for paying them. Drop the scholarships and the perks, pay them what they are (AAA or AHL level players). Hey congrats, sign your 4 year contract, $30-40K a year during season, and good luck. Then just to be nice, toss in a little tuition reimbursement a year. They can get loans for the rest of the stuff like everyone else who's job doesn't cover everything while they are in school.

Business's do the exact same thing. We got these benefits, you get these hours, we give you a laptap, a car, or a phone, we have an onsite gym, this is our vacation package, we provide a membership to these organizations, we offer this amount of tuition reimbursement etc etc. Hell, I'm starting a new job in couple weeks that pays more, works less hours, and instead of dealing with Austin traffic, I will now spend it in their onsite state of the art gym.

Course my other organization is taking my accrued PTO (time earned via hours I put in) from me vs paying it out. So technically I am paying them for leaving. I have a friend of mine that used tuition reimbursement for a masters with a Fortune 500 company. They required you to stay on X amount of time. He had to repay that amount when he didn't meet those obligations. Mean you could even go as far as mentioning that business's do have non-compete/restrictive covenants.

I support paying players and I recognize some players do get paid. I just don’t think they possibly get paid as much as they could be and they go to a big name like Auburn with the promise that it’ll carry them to the next level. Saying they should pay the college back for that promise being broken is crazy. They work and make Auburn money even more than they help themselves with the education side of things. 

I believe both Nate and Jay were 4* guys coning out of high school. I know that Nate was a 4* WR. Malzahn hardly played them. Why even sign 4 or 5* players if you're not going to allow them to see a lot of playing time.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

I believe both Nate and Jay were 4* guys coning out of high school. I know that Nate was a 4* WR. Malzahn hardly played them. Why even sign 4 or 5* players if you're not going to allow them to see a lot of playing time.

Nate is able to do this because he saw enough playing time as a freshman not to redshirt right?   Someone correct me if I am wrong.  

37 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I’m no expert here. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I don’t have a degree from AU. Never even went to school there (even though that’s one life decision I had back). Just been a fan of AU ever since I’ve been old enough to remember. How does it work? Does he get to finish out this semester and then transfer? Or does he get to finish the entire year paid up? At most, with your thinking I’m guessing, he MIGHT owe only tuition from this season. But the way college football players are exploited, paying his tuition for this semester or year seems more than fair enough to me

Excellent question.

For a normal student the last day to have withdrawn with a refund would have been September 10th. Thus there should be no refunding the tuition.

From a business perspective, well they voluntarily terminated their position with Auburn University. Why should we pay for them to not work? Other students that withdraw from Auburn today will receive W's on their transcripts and be on the hook for the full cost of tuition. In fact, I believe things like that can negatively impact a students eligibility for scholarships and financial aid.

Personally I feel that their tuition should be prorated for the rest of the semester and that they owe Auburn University for that amount.

Highly disagree with exploited. As a division one athlete myself, would love to have gotten the treatment/perks they do and have no student loan debt.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Some of you have really lost your minds....waste a year of his eligibility and life......for what exactly???? 

The sad fact is, he should never had signed here.  His goal, probably since he was playing two-hand-touch in Huggies, was to make it to the league. He had a decision to make. He couldcontinue to play the rest of this year, lead the team in WR pancakes, catch 10-15 balls, all while getting zero recognition. Each snap decreasing his opportunities to have his skills recognized by scouts as he turns into an inline blocker...Or he can save an entire year of eligibility, go to a team that can truly give him the opportunity to showcase his abilities and utilize his skill.  Doing so instantly increases his value.  So really it comes down to, go somewhere else for a year and increase your chances to get drafted or stay here 1 more year and hope you show out at the AU pro-day, and pray for a URFA signing. It wasn't fair to him. As a coach you should want what's best for your guys.  Wanting him to stay is fine, we all liked him. But staying jeopardizes his dreams by blocking for us rather than catching passes at another school

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The sad fact is, he should never had signed here.  His goal, probably since he was playing two-hand-touch in Huggies, was to make it to the league. He had a decision to make. He couldcontinue to play the rest of this year, lead the team in WR pancakes, catch 10-15 balls, all while getting zero recognition. Each snap decreasing his opportunities to have his skills recognized by scouts as he turns into an inline blocker...Or he can save an entire year of eligibility, go to a team that can truly give him the opportunity to showcase his abilities and utilize his skill.  Doing so instantly increases his value.  So really it comes down to, go somewhere else for a year and increase your chances to get drafted or stay here 1 more year and hope you show out at the AU pro-day, and pray for a URFA signing. It wasn't fair to him. As a coach you should want what's best for your guys.  Wanting him to stay is fine, we all liked him. But staying jeopardizes his dreams by blocking for us rather than catching passes at another school

35 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

What if the Myers brohers ended up at Alabama and they put BIG numbers. Now that would be funny. Right Gus?

One of these posts is nuanced, sensible, and well thought out. I just can’t decide which one?....

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I support paying players and I recognize some players do get paid. I just don’t think they possibly get paid as much as they could be and they go to a big name like Auburn with the promise that it’ll carry them to the next level. Saying they should pay the college back for that promise being broken is crazy. They work and make Auburn money even more than they help themselves with the education side of things. 

Not crazy, it is business. It happens in the real world.

Like I said I support paying players as long as scholarships are removed. Pay em minor league salaries (which is what they are) and let them pay for school, books, room, utilities, food etc. I have zero issue with that.

I went to Auburn University with the promise that a degree and its academic name would carry me to the next level. Remember, Auburn is an academic institution of higher learning first.

Well they should get on board with the education thing and be happy for what is given them cause only 1.5% of them are going to the pro's. Not my fault they blow golden opportunities to earn a quality degree, from a quality academic institute, that will provide them with exceptional networking contacts because of one dimensional and possibly delusional thinking.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Recruiting Fact Sheet WEB.pdf

And Auburn University spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on each and every one of those athletes.

24 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

You dont know what you're talking about. Nate had every chance in the world at Auburn and has consistently underachieved. He clearly sees the writing on the wall with this young batch of receivers and is looking for a fresh start. Great young man, sometimes a fresh start makes all the difference. 

Out of "likes" but give an A+ to the above 2 posts....

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

To be clear, if you're comparing these guys to AHL players, then $30-$40K isn't even close.  I go to AHL games regularly and have looked up those salaries.  The average guys make around $400k+.  Better veteran players make upwards of $750-$800k.  

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Nate had every chance in the world at Auburn and has consistently underachieved.

Really? Was it underachieving, or was underutilization?  It's hard to under acheive as a WR when you aren't afforded the opportunity to succeed.  NCM was on the field the last two seasons an avg of about 85+% of the time.  During that time how many times did he go an entire game without being thrown to one time?  How many games did he have only one it two?Heas consistently the best blocking WR we had.  Is that underachieving?  To me, when presented with the opportunities, whether to make a key block or catch the ball he routinely made the play.

4 rec    70yds   17.5avg     1TD

16 rec  285yds  17.8avg   3TD

2 rec.   39yds    19.5avg     0TD

22 passes in 3 years playing in 15 games equates to .68 pass per game.  To me, the only underachieving is with regards to the lack of player utilization and that's squarely on the coaches.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be clear, if you're comparing these guys to AHL players, then $30-$40K isn't even close.  I go to AHL games regularly and have looked up those salaries.  The average guys make around $400k+.  Better veteran players make upwards of $750-$800k.  

And aren't those the players that have the contracts that are connected with the NHL?

Because of this affiliation, most of the players that make up the Texas Stars' roster are on a contract to the Dallas Stars and are assigned on loan to the AHL team. They can be called up at any time to fill roster spots on the Dallas Stars.

Minimum salaries for players on SPCs are set by the AHL Collective Bargaining Agreement. For 2018-19, this number is $47,500, paid in US dollars for all teams.

https://www.100degreehockey.com/p/faqglossary.html

Then could just treat freshmen as try out players, which is what they are really:

Minimum salaries for players on tryouts are set by the AHL Collective Bargaining Agreement. For 2018-19, this number is $37,500 for US-based clubs

https://www.100degreehockey.com/p/faqglossary.html

I feel we are both right and wrong with this.

So pay them like the ECHL then lol.

Archived