#Fireupthejets

The Plainsman

3 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I think quite literally the answer is for Auburn to hire a real offensive coordinator and make him the head coach without the title. Give him complete control of the offense and tell him he doesn't have to listen to Gus. Gus won't change his ways even though Auburn invested a ton of money into him. I would think that Gus would become annoyed and go elsewhere.

That's an interesting concept for a college football team. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I think quite literally the answer is for Auburn to hire a real offensive coordinator and make him the head coach without the title. Give him complete control of the offense and tell him he doesn't have to listen to Gus. Gus won't change his ways even though Auburn invested a ton of money into him. I would think that Gus would become annoyed and go elsewhere.

Auburn would be far better off by simply ponying up the buyout money and firing him.  Creating dissent or forcing an assistant coach down Gus' throat would be Auburn effectively sabotaging its own program.

4 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I like this idea! Wonder what our contractual obligations to Gus are. Just a position with Auburn University or Athletics. Does it have to be Head Football Coach? 

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is why I don’t get why people are so loyal to CGM. He utilized his position last year to leverage something better for himself. Jimmy Sexton (who is very good btw) pitted two universities against each other to get his client the most money possible during the most vulnerable time. Now, don’t get me wrong, that is part of the game. However, this should tell you what type of individual you are dealing with. And btw, this same individual represents most of the opposing coaches some of you guys love to hate.

...most of whom can actually coach basic football.

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Auburn would be far better off by simply ponying up the buyout money and firing him.  Creating dissent or forcing an assistant coach down Gus' throat would be Auburn effectively sabotaging its own program.

How would that be any worse than what’s happening now?? Probably 98% or more of the fan base has had it with Gus

Just now, AUJedi said:

How would that be any worse than what’s happening now?? Probably 98% or more of the fan base has had it with Gus

Auburn would be hiring an offensive coordinator, then telling him that whatever the head coach says is irrelevant.  That is the administration creating infighting in the coaching staff.  Aside from the obvious short-term problems that creates, that is the kind of meddling that no replacement head coach wants to deal with.  Auburn would be better off by just paying the buyout and firing him, rather than resorting to such measures.  Cut out the cancer and move on.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Same old cliche'....but once again...not followed by a few names of guys who might consider AU.    Lots of coaches who are winners where they are at lower level or lesser conferences.....but very few (if any) who could take on Nick or the majority of other SEC coaches....JMO

Thing with ole Nikki is that he is open to let his coaches coach and if they screw up he gets on their a$$ from what I’ve seen, but I could be wrong. 

What was the rush with Jacobs being on the way out that he got to do Gus’s contract. My opinion is the PTB should have waited for the new ad

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Agree....JMO but Gus would be better off just taking over the offense completely and eliminate the confusion about who is the "playmaster"...Who really knows what Chip is doing to earn his big salary?      Even nikki makes some offensive decisions when he thinks it is necessary to support his game plan.   No coach that I have ever seen is just a CEO and sits back to let his staff make all the decisions...big or small.   

6 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Great then lets just keep getting performances like last night. 

Hey....things can actually get worse if you make the wrong decision...pay a lot of money (which we would certainly have to do) and I'm still wondering who could do better. I'm not in love with Gus.....just don't see the benefit to AU to get rid of him without a better option. 

Our next coach when we fire Gus,.....if he has any kind of resume at all he will be making more than Gus.....just to take the job. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Hey....things can actually get worse if you make the wrong decision...pay a lot of money (which we would certainly have to do) and I'm still wondering who could do better. I'm not in love with Gus.....just don't see the benefit to AU to get rid of him without a better option. 

Our next coach when we fire Gus,.....if he has any kind of resume at all he will be making more than Gus.....just to take the job. 

Yep ok man. War Eagle to ya. 

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

This might be one of two names I have ever seen on this forum that I think would actually take the job.

To me, he has the pedigree to do it. A lot like Lincoln did.

Who is the other?

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Who is the other?

I'd have to go back to last year to be honest. It isn't one of the names I have seen tossed around this year.

Agree with the pedigree and have no doubt that he is hoping to use UCF to springboard like Frost did. I think coming out of OU he won't be intimidated by Saban and Alabama.

A friend of mine knows some D1 coaches from his playing days. Saban and what he is doing at Alabama is a big negative according to him when it comes to the Auburn job along with the reputation of meddling by individuals.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Gus would be better off just taking over the offense completely and eliminate the confusion about who is the "playmaster

I totally agree, then we would know for 100 percent certain who needs to be fired. If Gus fired Chip and ran the O for rest of the year then there would be no doubt.

1 hour ago, WDE427 said:

What was the rush with Jacobs being on the way out that he got to do Gus’s contract. My opinion is the PTB should have waited for the new ad

THAT is exactly what I am wondering. <Head shaking>

Question is: are we any more attractive a job than Tennessee, considering we compete with the exact same two rivals? At least we've actually won our division three times, the SEC twice, and an NC in the last decade.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Question is: are we any more attractive a job than Tennessee, considering we compete with the exact same two rivals? At least we've actually won our division three times, our conference twice, and an NC in the last decade.

Sounds like you answered your own question. 

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'd have to go back to last year to be honest. It isn't one of the names I have seen tossed around this year.

Agree with the pedigree and have no doubt that he is hoping to use UCF to springboard like Frost did. I think coming out of OU he won't be intimidated by Saban and Alabama.

A friend of mine knows some D1 coaches from his playing days. Saban and what he is doing at Alabama is a big negative according to him when it comes to the Auburn job along with the reputation of meddling by individuals.

There's meddling from individuals at every school: Admin, Presidents, Jock Sniffers, Alumni, EX COACHES etc. The big negative was Jacobs and who all he allowed as his influence. I hope with Greene we have a cleaner slate upon which to build and get better choices. Without the buyout he would be fired this year but likely next year will be his last. WDE

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Technically, Alabama is a Right-To-Work state. Inability to perform one's job is not a fireable offense and if you are let go without cause then you are entitled to draw unemployment.

But contracts are different of course...

Unless your job title is eliminated and you are forced into a much lesser paying title and expected to do the same work.  The employer basically forces you to quit or find another job and prevents unemployment benefits.  It happened to me after 16 years.  Same job description but different title.  I wish them the best though.  I’m much much happier where I am now. 

22 minutes ago, Builder said:

There's meddling from individuals at every school: Admin, Presidents, Jock Sniffers, Alumni, EX COACHES etc. The big negative was Jacobs and who all he allowed as his influence. I hope with Greene we have a cleaner slate upon which to build and get better choices. Without the buyout he would be fired this year but likely next year will be his last. WDE

I hope nobody is naive enough not to think that there isn't. The problem for Auburn is our meddling ranks really high on the scale reputation wise. Maybe Greene will disprove that, but firing Gus one or two years after an extension isn't going to do anything to help attract a top tier proven coach unless he has back to back losing seasons. Then there is the Saban/Alabama factor and how tied into the Auburn job that is.

As I said, this is just what I have been told by an individual with Power 5 coaching ties in regards to the Auburn job.

47 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Question is: are we any more attractive a job than Tennessee, considering we compete with the exact same two rivals? At least we've actually won our division three times, the SEC twice, and an NC in the last decade.

The thing is that Tenn is a safer job than Auburn and that will make it more attractive. Tenn hasn't beaten Alabama in like 12 years and they are 4-8 against Georgia over that time period also I think.

Fanbase, resources, facilities, etc etc is on par with Auburn.

If we hired a new coach and his first two years were 0-4 vs Georgia/Alabama we are talking about firing him. Tenn would be happy just to be competitive with the two at this stage.

In my opinion, the initial security you would get with Tenn vs Auburn would make it more attractive.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who is the other?

Wasn't Heupel fired from OU as OC and replaced by Riley? I haven't researched his resume too much. Not sure how his offenses did at Utah State. What exactly do you like about him?

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

The thing is that Tenn is a safer job than Auburn and that will make it more attractive. Tenn hasn't beaten Alabama in like 12 years and they are 4-8 against Georgia over that time period also I think.

Fanbase, resources, facilities, etc etc is on par with Auburn.

If we hired a new coach and his first two years were 0-4 vs Georgia/Alabama we are talking about firing him. Tenn would be happy just to be competitive with the two at this stage.

In my opinion, the initial security you would get with Tenn vs Auburn would make it more attractive.

UT IS the Alabama of that state.  I don't mean that negatively.... My point is that EVERYBODY in TN is a UT fan.  Vandy is not even "little brother" in the state.  The only Vandy fans are grads, family and friends.  There's no history for Vandy like Auburn has.  When you consider that Auburn IS the "little school" in the state it's actually VERY remarkable just how good Auburn has been over history, thus Auburn does at least have a fan base beyond just grads, family and friends.  There are fans of Auburn because they like their history and how Auburn people typically project themselves vs bammers.

My point is, to be a successful HC at UT and to bring them back to prominence would catapult one to a similar "god like" status that saban enjoys in the state.  UT is a VERY attractive job, last year's dumpster fire notwithstanding...  I can't speak for it's financial resources but I've been to several UT games in Neyland Stadium due to my wife's family and the experience is awesome.  Those people are hungering for good football again.  My guess is Fulmer will allow Pruitt to be a stop-gap and if he wins? Great.  But they're looking to the future and I suspect Fulmer's trying to clean things up in house to prepare for their next "splash" HC hire.

Archived