Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because he is in a weak conference and may never get to the playoffs ever after a hiccup. He still needs help just for Oregon to get into the playoffs, even if he outrightly wins the conference. 

But his chances of having multiple hiccups are way more likely here than at Oregon. Auburn runs a gauntlet every single season and most of the time 2 or more losses won’t get you in the big dance. And most seasons, the PAC 12 has a few decent teams that’ll increase your sos enough to be in contention . I dunno man. If I was a guy that was solely concentrating on winning games and playing for conference championships and playoff appearances, I’d probably rather be doing it at a place like Oregon in the PAC 12. Auburn just has it downright horrible as far as road to glory goes. We gotta play 3 power houses every single season and 2 of them are in the last 4 weeks. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Has Georgia gotten over hump? Last I checked they have as many SEC titles under Kirby Smart as Auburn and as many appearances under Malzahn. It's easy to be jealous of their success but Georgia literally has only two difficult games a year and that's wholly dependant on how good Auburn and Florida are that year.

Kirby Smart hasn't proven anything yet.

Last I checked Kirby smart is in his fourth year as a HC PERIOD. Been to the SEC championship game two out of his first three years. 3-1 against Gus as a HC including a key victory in a SEC championship game. One national championship game appearance ( Mark never ever took UGA to a NC game).

I believe he has a record of 7-3 against top ten teams and 12-8 against top twenty five teams. I know in his first four years he is not at a risk for only winning 7 games. 

If anything he has proven he has owned Gus and has owned his main rivals at UGA. 

29 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But his chances of having multiple hiccups are way more likely here than at Oregon. Auburn runs a gauntlet every single season and most of the time 2 or more losses won’t get you in the big dance. And most seasons, the PAC 12 has a few decent teams that’ll increase your sos enough to be in contention . I dunno man. If I was a guy that was solely concentrating on winning games and playing for conference championships and playoff appearances, I’d probably rather be doing it at a place like Oregon in the PAC 12. Auburn just has it downright horrible as far as road to glory goes. We gotta play 3 power houses every single season and 2 of them are in the last 4 weeks. 

Yes but certain individuals live for glory especially down the hard path. Not everyone fears the hard path. I sure as heck don’t want a coach who fears a tougher path. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Last I checked Kirby smart is in his fourth year as a HC PERIOD. Been to the SEC championship game two out of his first three years. 3-1 against Gus as a HC including a key victory in a SEC championship game. One national championship game appearance ( Mark never ever took UGA to a NC game).

I believe he has a record of 7-3 against top ten teams and 12-8 against top twenty five teams. I know in his first four years he is not at a risk for only winning 7 games. 

If anything he has proven he has owned Gus and has owned his main rivals at UGA. 

He's been good, but this is ONLY because he had a playoff and Richt didn't at those points in their respective careers.

2002 BCS rankings:
#1--Miami FL
#2--Ohio State
#3--Georgia

2017 CFP rankings:
#1--Clemson
#2--Oklahoma
#3--Georgia

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He's been good, but this is ONLY because he had a playoff and Richt didn't at those points in their respective careers.

2002 BCS rankings:
#1--Miami FL
#2--Ohio State
#3--Georgia

2017 CFP rankings:
#1--Clemson
#2--Oklahoma
#3--Georgia

Yes but even in the playoffs he still had to beat OU and then face Bama to get to the NC game. There is no way we can know one way or another even in a playoff scenario how UGA would’ve done against tOSU. Not to mention UGA played a 9-5 Arkansas team in the SEC championship games that year because Alabama had a post season Ban. Granted they did beat Bama that year in Tuscaloosa by two but we also know how hard it is to beat a team twice in one season. They also loss to an unranked Florida team which did them in for the BCS. The same Florida team that got annihilated by Miami. 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It is still freaking Oregon. Besides Nike and flashy uniforms it has nothing going for them. Besides Alpha coaches do not think wellllll Auburn is a significantly better job than Oregon BUUUUUUUUUT it is also a harder job sooo NAHHHHHHH I think I will pass and just play it safe at Oregon haha. He probaly sees it like this. IF I can recruit this good to freaking EUGENE, OREGON just think what I could do with Auburns recruiting base. He will eventually string together top 5 classes almost every year if we do hire him. He is a great recruiter. I would NEVER worry about OL crutin again as long as he were here.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is still freaking Oregon. Besides Nike and flashy uniforms it has nothing going for them. Besides Alpha coaches do not think wellllll Auburn is a significantly better job than Oregon BUUUUUUUUUT it is also a harder job sooo NAHHHHHHH I think I will pass and just play it safe at Oregon haha. He probaly sees it like this. IF I can recruit this good to freaking EUGENE, OREGON just think what I could do with Auburns recruiting base. He will eventually string together top 5 classes almost every year if we do hire him. He is a great recruiter. I would NEVER worry about OL crutin again as long as he were here.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of getting the guy. But smart/alpha coaches aren’t always going to take the path with more resistance. If that was the case, then Bama would be playing top 10 ooc matchups every season. It’s about survival, IMO. That guy can win a lot of games and multiple conference championships at Oregon and have job security and the opportunity to build a program at a good school with unlimited athletic resources. Or he can come to Auburn and have the majority of the fan base shouting off with his head after a loss or two. I love Auburn and I’d never try to sell a coach on not coming here. But realistically looking at this from an unbiased point of view, I feel like he’d have to have a huge set of nuts to leave what he has at Oregon and come here. I’d love it. But I just don’t think it’ll ever happen.

If CGM wins out, would he be wanted in the family again?  We all want a coach that can take us to (and keep us at) the next level.  Part of our frustration, I think, is due to his "learning on the job".  His negative qualities have been shared enough where we all know what they are.  Would he be wanted if he shows that he has taken the next step.

I haven't looked at the poll on this in a second but holy cow thank the lord fans don't pick coaches. Was Bob Stoops a good coach? Sure. But the dude didn't win a National Championship or even play for one for 10+ years. Frankly, Oklahoma has looked better since Lincoln Riley replaced Stoops.

We need someone younger who, if successful here, could be the guy for years and years to come (unrealistic I know but Bob walked away for some reason or another and it was his choice). I also don't think Lane Kiffin is a great choice but I can understand that opinion as well.

2 minutes ago, AUnMS said:

If CGM wins out, would he be wanted in the family again?  We all want a coach that can take us to (and keep us at) the next level.  Part of our frustration, I think, is due to his "learning on the job".  His negative qualities have been shared enough where we all know what they are.  Would he be wanted if he shows that he has taken the next step.

No. He's shown us he's an (8-5) coach. He's shown us before he can coach when his livelihood is on the line. We'd still miss the SECCG, we'd still miss the playoffs, we'd still miss the NCG. Two loss Auburn doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt that Alabama would. It would be impressive and people on the board would rush to get back onto the bus.

The problem is we've seen he's not going to change. It's been 7 years. This isn't year 2 for Gus. Some people keep acting like we still need to "wait and see" who he is or what he's got.

If you're an employer do you give someone 7 years to learn on the job? That's the amount of time a doctor gets in school.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have a nephew who is a GA on uat's staff, and is  quite close to Cristobal.  His understanding is if Auburn called, he would drop everything and be on the first plane. Kid thinks the man is an awesome coach.

When you have a top notch coach, who is showing that he can build a program and compete, you need to take notice.  Unlike what we did with the guys who just has a business selling books and videos for an offense that doesn't work, and had no clue how to build a program...

2 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I have a nephew who is a GA on uat's staff, and is  quite close to Cristobal.  His understanding is if Auburn called, he would drop everything and be on the first plane. Kid thinks the man is an awesome coach.

When you have a top notch coach, who is showing that he can build a program and compete, you need to take notice.  Unlike what we did with the guys who just has a business selling books and videos for an offense that doesn't work, and had no clue how to build a program...

This lines up EXACTLY with what Rick Neuheisel said on Sirius Radio during the summer. That Cristobal told him first hand that he coveted the Auburn job and would def accept the job if it came open and he was offered. Appreciate the insight sir!

Zeek, I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree.  If he wins out (and that's a BIG if) with a true freshman QB, surely that would mean that he has changed.  No?

Just now, AUnMS said:

Zeek, I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree.  If he wins out (and that's a BIG if) with a true freshman QB, surely that would mean that he has changed.  No?

Change to me would be HIM FINALLY REALIZING HE AND HIS OFFENSE/SYSTEM IS THE PROBLEM on offense and go out and hire a legit OC. And not some guy he can control like a Rhett or Chip and force them to call plays that are from the Malzahn offense. 

But we know he is the most stubborn coach in America and will not do this. His ego will not allow it. Him "taking back" the play calling duties this year shows you all you need to know. That he thinks he is the savior lol. I wish I could say our offensive production this season vs defenses with a pulse would be a come to Jesus moment for him and a reality check.... but we all know it will not be.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If you're an employer do you give someone 7 years to learn on the job? That's the amount of time a doctor gets in school.

Actually, my medical school + residency/fellowship was 11 years post college. Looks like Gus getting 4 more years, dammit 

😜

Just now, fredst said:

Actually, my medical school + residency/fellowship was 11 years post college. Looks like Gus getting 4 more years, dammit 

😜

Halloween was last week Mr Fred!!!!!!! DO NOT SCARE US LIKE THIS AGAIN!!!!!  hahaha. I cannot handle 4 more quarters of Gus ball on offense. FOUR MORE YEARS?!??! lol. I shudder to think about that!!! By then we would all be curled up in the fetal position during games.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Change to me would be HIM FINALLY REALIZING HE AND HIS OFFENSE/SYSTEM IS THE PROBLEM on offense and go out and hire a legit OC. And not some guy he can control like a Rhett or Chip and force them to call plays that are from the Malzahn offense. 

But we know he is the most stubborn coach in America and will not do this. His ego will not allow it. Him "taking back" the play calling duties this year shows you all you need to know. That he thinks he is the savior lol. I wish I could say our offensive production this season vs defenses with a pulse would be a come to Jesus moment for him and a reality check.... but we all know it will not be.

This whole thing is a business for Gus.  He earns a good bit of profit from this offense, so just think what would happen if he did change it...

This offense could be pretty special if it were to EVOLVE (I know, that's a tough word for Southern Baptists), but Gus will not allow it. 

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Buy your nephew a beer for me. (Thanks for passing along.)

Don't know if it's been discussed but what if USC goes after Gus? We know the USC president said she would not allow Urban to be hired due to his sordid past and the Admissions scandal being sorted through. He would fit the bill of a proven coach with a clean record and recruiting prowess...

Next on their list is James Franklin who is paid very handsomely to coach in his home state. Good luck to that...

Now I don't know that you could convince Gus to move out to LA, but I could see them giving Malzahn a look.

3 hours ago, 1716AU said:

This whole thing is a business for Gus.  He earns a good bit of profit from this offense, so just think what would happen if he did change it...

This offense could be pretty special if it were to EVOLVE (I know, that's a tough word for Southern Baptists), but Gus will not allow it. 

So far his "business " has netted him around 25-35 million,  with a buyout of about and additional 25 million. Monetarily,  he's golden for the rest of his and his entire family's life. By not adapting the offense to the changing times means one of two things. Either he can't, because he lacks the knowledge or he knows he doesn't have to because of the aforementioned massive safety net. Regardless,  Auburn is being played,  with only one remedy to fix it.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Don't know if it's been discussed but what if USC goes after Gus? We know the USC president said she would not allow Urban to be hired due to his sordid past and the Admissions scandal being sorted through. He would fit the bill of a proven coach with a clean record and recruiting prowess...

Next on their list is James Franklin who is paid very handsomely to coach in his home state. Good luck to that...

Now I don't know that you could convince Gus to move out to LA, but I could see them giving Malzahn a look.

No school will pay Gus 7/yr besides us and he's not gonna walk away from that.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Buy your nephew a beer for me. (Thanks for passing along.)

No worries, He is Baptist.  I buy him a coke while I enjoy a Carlsberg

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No school will pay Gus 7/yr besides us and he's not gonna walk away from that.

Oh I agree. The only way it's feasible is if there's a mutual desire to part ways, then there'd be room for negotiation among the 3 parties.

Honestly I would imagine Malzahn is much more content now with Allen Green at AD than with Jay Jacobs. I don't believe Green is near as hands on or invested in the football program to meddle and force Gus to do something he doesn't want to do and if we're being honest, that's the only real heat he's going to get at Auburn. All us armchair and Monday morning quarterbacks fussing on the internet and over call in shows- no one in the administration is listening nor cares.

All of that to say, slim chance...

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

I haven't looked at the poll on this in a second but holy cow thank the lord fans don't pick coaches. Was Bob Stoops a good coach? Sure. But the dude didn't win a National Championship or even play for one for 10+ years. Frankly, Oklahoma has looked better since Lincoln Riley replaced Stoops.

We need someone younger who, if successful here, could be the guy for years and years to come (unrealistic I know but Bob walked away for some reason or another and it was his choice). I also don't think Lane Kiffin is a great choice but I can understand that opinion as well.

No. He's shown us he's an (8-5) coach. He's shown us before he can coach when his livelihood is on the line. We'd still miss the SECCG, we'd still miss the playoffs, we'd still miss the NCG. Two loss Auburn doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt that Alabama would. It would be impressive and people on the board would rush to get back onto the bus.

The problem is we've seen he's not going to change. It's been 7 years. This isn't year 2 for Gus. Some people keep acting like we still need to "wait and see" who he is or what he's got.

But how many did Nicky have before Bama? I think 1 with LSU? Could be wrong.. I think if you gave Bob the tools he needs and keep boosters off his back ( leave him alone) and let him run his own operation. He would do well... But seriously.... I just dont care who we would get anymore... The team needs a spark to re-light the fire. 

6 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

A lot of Arkansas fans wanted Chad to go after Criswell harder but he got his son Chandler committed and didn't pursue anyone else, so naturally Chad will probably be fired and we'll miss out on both 😂

He's a good player, always hard to tell how he'll translate in the small Arkansas classifications since the competition isn't great but he's got a lot of tools. Cousin of former Arkansas/current 49ers LB Dre Greenlaw.

Is there any talk, out there, of Arkansas going after gus if Morris is fired?

Archived