Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want an offensive minded head coach because I want overall team strategy to be based in scoring points and being aggressive. Defensive minded guys are generally more conservative and have a soft spot in their hearts for protecting the defenses. I want a cold blooded killer as HC being aggressive putting pressure on our opponents. As odd as it sounds our program's modern "brand" is known for having an explosive offense even if it's not the case currently. 

I want someone who has proven to be able to win and sustain a level of success. If it's not at a major p5 program at least one where he exceeded that programs expectations and historical success. A plus recruiter and somebody who can adapt on the fly. Cristobal may be a favorite of mine right now, outside of a Stoops type (haven't thought too much about a favorite) but he made some Gus-like remedial coaching decisions in our game against Oregon costing them big like when he wasted a timeout to NOT get his QB back on the field, etc. Those types of things concern me but all you can really ask for is that the guy learns from those things - - which is something Gus has proven to not do at all or not change his ways fast enough. 

IIRC pac12 coaches took an anonymous poll and said that Oregon was the dirtiest team recruiting wise in the conference or something like that. That's also a bit of a red flag even though I understand everyone who's serious about winning plays this game I would hope we can avoid that type of attention regarding our recruiting. 

Stoops could be a Bruce Pearl-lite type of hire. Proven method and track record for success. Urban would be the best coach possible but he's sleazy as hell. But damn those Iron Bowls would be insane. JMO

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I want an offensive minded head coach because I want overall team strategy to be based in scoring points and being aggressive. Defensive minded guys are generally more conservative and have a soft spot in their hearts for protecting the defenses. I want a cold blooded killer as HC being aggressive putting pressure on our opponents. As odd as it sounds our program's modern "brand" is known for having an explosive offense even if it's not the case currently. 

I want someone who has proven to be able to win and sustain a level of success. If it's not at a major p5 program at least one where he exceeded that programs expectations and historical success. A plus recruiter and somebody who can adapt on the fly. Cristobal may be a favorite of mine right now, outside of a Stoops type (haven't thought too much about a favorite) but he made some Gus-like remedial coaching decisions in our game against Oregon costing them big like when he wasted a timeout to NOT get his QB back on the field, etc. Those types of things concern me but all you can really ask for is that the guy learns from those things - - which is something Gus has proven to not do at all or not change his ways fast enough. 

IIRC pac12 coaches took an anonymous poll and said that Oregon was the dirtiest team recruiting wise in the conference or something like that. That's also a bit of a red flag even though I understand everyone who's serious about winning plays this game I would hope we can avoid that type of attention regarding our recruiting. 

Stoops could be a Bruce Pearl-lite type of hire. Proven method and track record for success. Urban would be the best coach possible but he's sleazy as hell. But damn those Iron Bowls would be insane. JMO

But realistically who do you want. Urban Meyer probably would be going to USC and Stoops at this point is our Gruden. 

Who checks all of those boxes? You say Cristobal is your favorite but it doesn’t really seem that way based on the content. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

But realistically who do you want. Urban Meyer probably would be going to USC and Stoops at this point is our Gruden. 

Who checks all of those boxes? You say Cristobal is your favorite but it doesn’t really seem that way based on the content. 

I really don't know. I'd say Stoops is my #1, Gruden comp and all.

I like Cristobal because, to my untrained eye, he seems to have a high ceiling for a place like AU. Ace recruiter, from this region, has success at a P5 job, OL background, effective offense getting playmakers the ball etc.. I don't think there is any perfect candidates so I was just touching on a few negative things I had recognized from Cristobal in limited time watching him because he seems like a popular name here. He would def improve us recruiting wise. I'd take him over Gus in a heartbeat

Urban Meyer :  Come join the Au family . We will rehabilitate him. Make him a born again football coach!

Bob Stoops: Just come join the Au family. Once you experience what Auburn has to offer, you wont wanna live anywhere else. Even run for Gov. one day

Heck i say we take them both. Just find a way

I got it! Bruce Pearl!

Tons of energy

Excellent recruiter

Respected by Auburn fans and has a connection

Isn't proven as a head football coach, but that doesn't seem to matter these days

Has never developed a QB, but heck that doesn't matter now does it?

Offensively minded

Lets his coaches do what they need to do

I remember, before the started, some insiders saying a coach has already been picked and agreements were made if Gus didnt survive the season. Passthebiscuits was one of them but i dont see him posting much now. Is this still the case?

21 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure he would want to get back into coaching, but a call to Mark Richt wouldn’t be a step down.   

Gus Malzahn is Mark Richt light. Do we really want to go through the same thing UGA did by not getting over the hump? He had a hard enough time doing that in the SEC East. Plus he just had some recent cardiovascular issues.

9 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Hard to take anyone serious who can’t spell blasphemy.  I also suspect your opinion of those guys is an extremely small minority.  There is a reason those guys have an outpost coaching job. 

Gundy is where he is cause it is his alma mater and wanted to be. He could be at Tenn right now, has turned them down 3 times, if he wanted to with double his current salary. He has been approached by others but Tenn is pretty publicized.

Leach is an odd character and the Craig James kid bit did hurt him. Though he would of gone to Tenn if it wasn't for some botched emails that took him off the list (on UT booster side).

I agree also about Kiffin. Off the field the guy is a wild card and his bailing on UT, failures at USC, and rumors of conduct in Tuscaloosa probably don't sit well.

There are those who think we should not make a change at HC because we could become another Tn.  Just think, if that were to happen we could look back on the glory years when we were mediocre and be thankful for the losses that kept piling up against teams with a pulse. You betcha. 

5 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I didn't really know who Bill Clark was, the more I read about him and watch UAB, the more intrigued I am. 

Watch Arkansas pick him up

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Watch Arkansas pick him up

Nooooooooooooo! Say it ain't so! 

21 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure he would want to get back into coaching, but a call to Mark Richt wouldn’t be a step down.   

This is just me, but Id rather take a chance on a hungry coach hopefully caught on the say up than a proven guy who is obviously on the way down. Id put both Richt and Stoops in the latter group.

I don't think Clark will be picked up by Arky...I think they would rather have Norvell from Memphis...that is the guy that I really like.  I think he will be the next big coach once he goes to a bigger program.

3 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I don't think Clark will be picked up by Arky...I think they would rather have Norvell from Memphis...that is the guy that I really like.  I think he will be the next big coach once he goes to a bigger program.

Norvell has skeleton in his closets supposedly

which is why he hasn’t been picked up by them last go around. 

I’m starting to really love the idea of getting Mario Cristobal, and I’m going to be really sad when it never happens, because why would he leave a place where he can compete for the playoffs and have amazing facilities to come here and have to play and recruit against LSU, Bama, Tamu and Georgia every single year.

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m starting to really love the idea of getting Mario Cristobal, and I’m going to be really sad when it never happens, because why would he leave a place where he can compete for the playoffs and have amazing facilities to come here and have to play and recruit against LSU, Bama, Tamu and Georgia every single year.

Because he is in a weak conference and may never get to the playoffs ever after a hiccup. He still needs help just for Oregon to get into the playoffs, even if he outrightly wins the conference. 

22 hours ago, DAG said:

Gus Malzahn is Mark Richt light. Do we really want to go through the same thing UGA did by not getting over the hump? He had a hard enough time doing that in the SEC East. Plus he just had some recent cardiovascular issues.

Has Georgia gotten over hump? Last I checked they have as many SEC titles under Kirby Smart as Auburn and as many appearances under Malzahn. It's easy to be jealous of their success but Georgia literally has only two difficult games a year and that's wholly dependant on how good Auburn and Florida are that year.

Kirby Smart hasn't proven anything yet.

Archived