Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I choose to believe they will finally get their head out of their ass and put the well being of the program over their own personal interests.

Why do you choose to believe that?  Do you have any evidence to support your belief?  (Sorry if I sound cynical.)

Just now, triangletiger said:

Why do you choose to believe that?  Do you have any evidence to support your belief?  (Sorry if I sound cynical.)

Because the alternative is not something I want to think about.

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Rhule and Fleck would be very much in play because Auburn is a much better job than where they are at. Like it is not even close. Cristobal it would be the right timing with Herbert going to the NFL after this year. Perfect time to bounce and make the move back down south. He has no allegiance to Oregon. He is not from the area. If we ponied up a good offer it would be hard to say not to AU. We would have our best recruiting classes ever under Mario. He would take us from top 10 classes every year to top 5. A lot of his staff have florida ties as well so we would be set up very well there. 

We’d have to pay Rhule and Fleck’s buyouts, right? That’s what makes me think we’d never land them. 

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cristobal it would be the right timing with Herbert going to the NFL after this year. Perfect time to bounce and make the move back down south. He has no allegiance to Oregon. He is not from the area. If we ponied up a good offer it would be hard to say not to AU. We would have our best recruiting classes ever under Mario. He would take us from top 10 classes every year to top 5. A lot of his staff have florida ties as well so we would be set up very well there. 

Cristobal checks all the boxes for me. All of them.

As of today I agree  Loof & Mac6! 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Cristobal checks all the boxes for me. All of them. 

He does have what most of us are looking for in a coach. And IIRC his specialty is OL. Great recruiting,  comes from good coaching tree, Florida connections and experience in the Sec. They definitely gave us a run for our money this year and he seems to have a sound and disciplined team. Sign me up

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'd still be okay with Venables or Aranda.

I forgot about those guys. Both would be good options. I’d probably take Aranda over Venables, but I can’t really  figure out why I feel that way. If Aranda was to come to Auburn and retain Steele and Garner and this defensive staff, our defense would be absolutely unstoppable. 

Aranda and Steele joining forces ^^^

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:
14 hours ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Guys half of that list isnt even close.  Stoops wont coe to Auburn.  Ever.  Might as well want Bill Belicheck.

Penn St is as good if not a better job that Auburn.  With WAY less competition.

Briles and Freeze are never going to be offered the job.

Why would Lane ever leave Fau.  Easy job with low expectations great place.

Yaaah.... The guy who took a XFL front office job wouldn't come to Auburn.... Right. It would all come down to money. If we paid him enough he would gladly come.

Lol hmmmmm why would a coach ever leave FAU for a top 12 program ever!? I have no idea!!!! Whenever you have a chance to coach AU you just got to turn it down to remain at the storied program of FAU...... 🙄🤔

Auburn is a great job that with the right coach in place is a top 10 coach in the country. Auburn is a very desirable job that almost any coach would love to come to. The problem has always been the boosters want to hire a non big name who they can control. I choose to believe they will finally get their head out of their ass and put the well being of the program over their own personal interests.

My 2 (unrequested) cents..... keep'em...give'em back...toss'em....your choice.

I agree that $$$ will send any coach to anywhere.  My only issue with Stoops, is does he really have the heart at this point?  Hungry coaches typically make better coaches.  Stoops has his belt undone after Thanksgiving. 

James Franklin. I agree about the PSU job.  Every bit as good, if not better.  Easier competition + I think his recruiting is just getting set in now.  PSU can likely afford anything Auburn can...and then some.  Those folks are "SEC" rabid too, so it's a fun place to be if you love football.  Main question is, does he like cold & snow or would he prefer the deep south?

Joey Freshwater.  I would imagine the opportunity to beat napoleon and complete the re-build of his reputation in the SEC (not to mention the $$$) would be a powerful draw.  Main question is, does he like seasonal weather and fully dressed coeds or does he prefer his coeds in bikinis 10 months per year?

Anyway, carry on....

I would've taken Kiffin in a heartbeat after his first year, but now I'm not so sure.

Another guy worth looking at is Clawsen at Wake Forest. As previously mentioned, Chris Klieman would be good as well.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

This is what scares me about taking a coordinator over a guy with head coaching experience. Going from a coordinator where you are just worried about the scheme, developing players and teaching your system to the man in charge is a huge step and completely different.

My criteria would be to find a dynamic guy who can navigate the POTB and BOT, and get buy in to his program from the top down. Second, he would need to be a great recruiter and quickly establish relationships with the High Schools and coaches in our established areas while he continues to push the envelope and expand recruiting. And last, I'd like him to have come from a solid coaching tree and be able to recognize and bring in top notch assistants and let them do their thing within the framework of his program.

One other important aspect for me is to have a coach that recruits and develops his talent at least two deep.  This happens on the defensive side of the ball, but offensively we seem to rely on our starter and not play (develop) our #2 or #3.  I mean if we’re looking for the perfect coach.

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I forgot about those guys. Both would be good options. I’d probably take Aranda over Venables, but I can’t really  figure out why I feel that way. If Aranda was to come to Auburn and retain Steele and Garner and this defensive staff, our defense would be absolutely unstoppable. 

Aranda and Steele joining forces ^^^

First, LOVE LOVE LOVE the gif.  Strong game there!

However, the idea of two Alpha-DC's together?  Probably end up with a Gus-ish result.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

That leads to a good follow up question for everyone.

What characteristics do you value most in a coaching candidate

Strong leadership pedigree who excels in strategic vision: knows who he wants to be and why, and has his finger on every aspect of player and coach development

Strong networker: charismatic personality who selects assistants based on best available, not yes men. Then let’s them do their job while holding them accountable for performance of their unit.

Relentless recruiter, able to sell the university and team as best in class in every aspect. (Facilities, academics, character, performance, player development)

Flexible and consistent: understands that football evolves and not only evolves with it, but stays out front of change. Relies not on a single scheme or player, but builds on a foundation of consistency and adaptability. 

I don’t want any goofy coaches being the public image of Auburn.  I don’t care how good Gundy, Kiffin, Leach, et al. may be because they are just goofy. For that matter I am sick of seeing the TV cameras zero in on Gus picking his nose.  Geeze, man, the guy is supposed to be an adult and has the manners of a toddler. As some point I expect to see him eating a booger. 

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

First, LOVE LOVE LOVE the gif.  Strong game there!

However, the idea of two Alpha-DC's together?  Probably end up with a Gus-ish result.

Or a Saban/Kirby result. I also don’t see Steele as the type of guy who’s gonna cause a stink, just because his boss is a defense guy.

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

I don’t want any goofy coaches being the public image of Auburn.  I don’t care how good Gundy, Kiffin, Leach, et al. may be because they are just goofy. For that matter I am sick of seeing the TV cameras zero in on Gus picking his nose.  Geeze, man, the guy is supposed to be an adult and has the manners of a toddler. As some point I expect to see him eating a booger. 

Cant wait for the pirate and mullet and freshwater to join forces to kick your ass for such blastphamy. 

Also, this is just a flat out idiot, stupid, dumb statement. 

A coach that can come in and take the stupid "Auburn is a spoiler team" mantra off our backs. 

5 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Cant wait for the pirate and mullet and freshwater to join forces to kick your ass for such blastphamy. 

Also, this is just a flat out idiot, stupid, dumb statement. 

Hard to take anyone serious who can’t spell blasphemy.  I also suspect your opinion of those guys is an extremely small minority.  There is a reason those guys have an outpost coaching job. 

20 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I haven't seen him picking in a while.  More of a coke head excessive nose scratching/rubbing thing going on these days.

Maybe some progress?

27 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I'd put up with it for Leach.  If we're going to perpetually be 8-4 it may as well be fun.

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I haven't seen him picking in a while.  More of a coke head excessive nose scratching/rubbing thing going on these days.

Maybe some progress?

He is just doing it faster so folks don’t notice it as much.  😁😁

1 minute ago, LeonardAU said:

If we're going to perpetually be 8-4 it may as well be fun.

Leach is an extremely smart person, which I am sure adds to his goofy demeanor. 

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or a Saban/Kirby result. I also don’t see Steele as the type of guy who’s gonna cause a stink, just because his boss is a defense guy.

I agree that the napoleon/bowlcut relationship was aces but Kirby got his first "big gig" under Saban at LSU and then followed him from the Dolphins while still up and coming until finally he was ready to spread his wings.  Very different from two very established head guys on the same side of the ball.  Not saying it couldn't work....just would make for a very interesting case study.

39 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Hard to take anyone serious who can’t spell blasphemy.  I also suspect your opinion of those guys is an extremely small minority.  There is a reason those guys have an outpost coaching job. 

Meh, you explicitly say that public appearance and not being "goofy" is more important than coaching ability, so I can misspell all day and still look smarter than you. 

Archived