Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Where?  Shiloh?

Yes, while HS it's still 15+ years experience as a HC learning how to build, direct, and be the man in charge. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yes, while HS it's still 15+ years experience as a HC learning how to build, direct, and be the man in charge. 

Ideally...😉

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What? Now we are comparing high school resumes? You are reaching. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I don't see any similarities at all between Gus and rhule. Gus was a head coach 1 year at the college level before AU hired him. Rhule has been a head coach for now 7 years at the college level with three of those in the big 12.

Well Gus has NOW been a head coach for 7yrs in the SEC sorta similar.😂

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

What? Now we are comparing high school resumes? You are reaching. 

Reaching for what? 

In coaching, unless groomed to be a HC it takes a some amount time to figure out exactly who you are, what you want from your program, and readjust what things you thought would work. Some do it quicker than others. Do I think Gus' HS HC experience is equivalent to Rhule's college HC? No. I just said that Gus has more experience as a HC. Which means he has had more time to figure out those types of things.

Rhule is a good coach. I've said that many times. His experience and pedigree is similar to Gus' IMO. If you don't agree, that fine. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of that.

Just now, bigbird said:

Reaching for what? 

In coaching, unless groomed to be a HC it takes a some amount time to figure out exactly who you are, what you want from your program, and readjust what things you thought would work. Some do it quicker than others. Do I think Gus' HS HC experience is equivalent to Rhule's college HC? No. I just said that Gus has more experience as a HC. Which means he has had more time to figure out those types of things.

Rhule is a good coach. I've said that many times. His experience and pedigree is similar to Gus' IMO. If you don't agree, that fine. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of that.

I am saying HC experience at the high school level should not be used as a comparison analysis in terms of coaching experience at the collegiate level. It's a completely different in all elements. You can have 20 years of highschool head coaching experience and IMO that would not trump anyone with one year of collegiate experience. In fact, I would almost argue having all that high school experience hurts you more than it helps you. The earlier you can get in the collegiate system the better. The top 3 coaches I can think of at the collegiate ranks, have zero high school coaching experience. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am saying HC experience at the high school level should not be used as a comparison analysis in terms of coaching experience at the collegiate level. It's a completely different in all elements. You can have 20 years of highschool head coaching experience and IMO that would not trump anyone with one year of collegiate experience. In fact, I would almost argue having all that high school experience hurts you more than it helps you. The earlier you can get in the collegiate system the better. The top 3 coaches I can think of at the collegiate ranks, have zero high school coaching experience. 

Okay

1 minute ago, jj3jordan said:

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson has family stuff that will keep him at UW unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is that Matt rhule?

Now that would be a solid hire 😬

This thread is exciting as hell. We are steamrolling our way to 100 pages!!!!! This has to be good!!! If it is bad in the Recruiting Forum it has to be good in the “S***CAN GUS” Forum!!! WOOOOO!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

This thread is exciting as hell. We are steamrolling our way to 100 pages!!!!! This has to be good!!! If it is bad in the Recruiting Forum it has to be good in the “S***CAN GUS” Forum!!! WOOOOO!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Mr Fred!!!!!! This was such a beautiful and truly inspiring post!!!! Lol. I freaking loooooooves it like Gus loves running the same 4 plays over and over!!!! Haha. Wooooooo!!!!! Let's freaking gooooo!!!!! Never been more proud of anyone in my life!!!

We have a job to do!!! Let's fiiiiiiiiinish the drill and get this baby to 💯 pages!!!! #nodaysoff

200.gif

giphy-8.gif

NippyKindlyGannet-size_restricted.gif

4 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

@bigbird so you value years of experience over years as a head coach?

That leads to a good follow up question for everyone.

What characteristics do you value most in a coaching candidate

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That leads to a good follow up question for everyone.

This has been an eatin'-popcorn thread for me--sincere interest, not boredom--but I'll weigh in with a few from the EQ side. I'll leave the fundamentals to others. 

Adaptability (when to hold up, when to fold up),  teachability (learn from mistakes), capacity to know strengths and delegate to compensate for weaknesses, team-building ability, the know-how to effectively reward good performance/character and redirect the opposite...that would be a good start.

LOVE this question, Bird!!

Guys half of that list isnt even close.  Stoops wont coe to Auburn.  Ever.  Might as well want Bill Belicheck.

Penn St is as good if not a better job that Auburn.  With WAY less competition.

Briles and Freeze are never going to be offered the job.

Why would Lane ever leave Fau.  Easy job with low expectations great place.

11 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Guys half of that list isnt even close.  Stoops wont coe to Auburn.  Ever.  Might as well want Bill Belicheck.

Penn St is as good if not a better job that Auburn.  With WAY less competition.

Briles and Freeze are never going to be offered the job.

Why would Lane ever leave Fau.  Easy job with low expectations great place.

Yaaah.... The guy who took a XFL front office job wouldn't come to Auburn.... Right. It would all come down to money. If we paid him enough he would gladly come.

Lol hmmmmm why would a coach ever leave FAU for a top 12 program ever!? I have no idea!!!! Whenever you have a chance to coach AU you just got to turn it down to remain at the storied program of FAU...... 🙄🤔

Auburn is a great job that with the right coach in place is a top 10 coach in the country. Auburn is a very desirable job that almost any coach would love to come to. The problem has always been the boosters want to hire a non big name who they can control. I choose to believe they will finally get their head out of their ass and put the well being of the program over their own personal interests.

7 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

In wish Kevin Steele was in the list. I’m afraid if the Auburn family hires Lane Kiffin I’m filing for divorce. 

If you don't love Johnny freshwater, we dont need your kind!

It would take a ungodly amount of money to get any of my top guys, at this point. First, we’d have to pay Gus’s buyout. Then Rhule and Fleck have buyouts we’d have to pay. We’d have to offer James Franklin the 2nd or 3rd highest coaching salary In the country for him to even entertain the offer. Same with Mario C. We’d be looking at a Bill Clark or Norvell type of hire. Which I’m not sure would be an upgrade. Auburn is going to end up holding what we got, unless Georgia and BAMA embarrass us. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

In coaching, unless groomed to be a HC it takes a some amount time to figure out exactly who you are, what you want from your program, and readjust what things you thought would work. Some do it quicker than others.

This is what scares me about taking a coordinator over a guy with head coaching experience. Going from a coordinator where you are just worried about the scheme, developing players and teaching your system to the man in charge is a huge step and completely different.

My criteria would be to find a dynamic guy who can navigate the POTB and BOT, and get buy in to his program from the top down. Second, he would need to be a great recruiter and quickly establish relationships with the High Schools and coaches in our established areas while he continues to push the envelope and expand recruiting. And last, I'd like him to have come from a solid coaching tree and be able to recognize and bring in top notch assistants and let them do their thing within the framework of his program.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It would take a ungodly amount of money to get any of my top guys, at this point. First, we’d have to pay Gus’s buyout. Then Rhule and Fleck have buyouts we’d have to pay. We’d have to offer James Franklin the 2nd or 3rd highest coaching salary In the country for him to even entertain the offer. Same with Mario C. We’d be looking at a Bill Clark or Norvell type of hire. Which I’m not sure would be an upgrade. Auburn is going to end up holding what we got, unless Georgia and BAMA embarrass us. 

Rhule and Fleck would be very much in play because Auburn is a much better job than where they are at. Like it is not even close. Cristobal it would be the right timing with Herbert going to the NFL after this year. Perfect time to bounce and make the move back down south. He has no allegiance to Oregon. He is not from the area. If we ponied up a good offer it would be hard to say not to AU. We would have our best recruiting classes ever under Mario. He would take us from top 10 classes every year to top 5. A lot of his staff have florida ties as well so we would be set up very well there. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Rhule and Fleck would be very much in play because Auburn is a much better job than where they are at. Like it is not even close. Cristobal it would be the right timing with Herbert going to the NFL after this year. Perfect time to bounce and make the move back down south. We would have our best recruiting classes ever under Mario. He would take us from top 10 classes every year to top 5. A lot of his staff have florida ties as well so we would be set up very well there. 

Cristobal checks all the boxes for me. All of them. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cristobal checks all the boxes for me. All of them. 

tyrty.gif

luilui.gif

Archived