Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Barfield's tenure was awful, but coming off of Shug's final two bad years it wasn't as bad as Gus.  

This is total B.S. 1974 was a very good year under Shug. Gus has not gone winless in conference like Barfield in 1980 and Gus has won division & SEC title. That said I am off the Gus Bus. Too many stupid losses.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

2008? 2012? Time is erasing the emotion you likely felt towards the end of those dumpster fire seasons.

To be fair at some point in those seasons we had hope for a coaching change...this year I’m afraid it’s only a pipe dream.

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Same. We have a shot at both thanks to our defense alone. If our offensive coaches coach with a little urgency, watch out. 

Coaches can't block for our pitiful O line and they can't seem to keep JS from turning the ball over which will probably be the main factors in losing to TAM at home yet again.

I would have said no until the A&M meltdown vs Miss St.    if we lose and get drilled by Ga and ALA to finish 6-6 it will be tough.   

I do not think Gus will get axed this year, no matter the won-loss record.  Only a fool(s) would be willing to pay a buyout of $32 million!  But, then again, only a fool(s) would give him that contract in the first place, so, who knows. I think Auburn has cornered the market on ineptitude!

4 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

This is total B.S. 1974 was a very good year under Shug. Gus has not gone winless in conference like Barfield in 1980 and Gus has won division & SEC title. That said I am off the Gus Bus. Too many stupid losses.

You're right 74 was a very good year.  I was misremembering;  1973 and 1975 were the bad years at the end for Shug.  And I'm not talking about the won loss record of Barfield and Gus.  I'm talking about the way I felt about Aubun football.

10 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Coaches can't block for our pitiful O line and they can't seem to keep JS from turning the ball over which will probably be the main factors in losing to TAM at home yet again.

While I will say that our OL doesn’t look great, I think the play calling is as much to blame as our OL faults. I understand that it is the way Gus likes to run it but with they way we pull OL and the extent of Downfield blocking required it’s really hard to accomplish unless you have great players. I think folks fail to figure in that RBs with great vision like KJ and Tre don’t come around that often. Also JS does not use his OL well . A lot of times he is moving in the direction that the OT is blocking his player.  Another words Tega is tiring to force his guy outside to protect the pockect and JS’s first instinct on tacking the snap is to start drifting left right into traffic. If he would as most QB’s and stay in the center of the pass pro and step up I truelly believe he would be more successful. Just my two cents.

26 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

While I will say that our OL doesn’t look great, I think the play calling is as much to blame as our OL faults. I understand that it is the way Gus likes to run it but with they way we pull OL and the extent of Downfield blocking required it’s really hard to accomplish unless you have great players. I think folks fail to figure in that RBs with great vision like KJ and Tre don’t come around that often. Also JS does not use his OL well . A lot of times he is moving in the direction that the OT is blocking his player.  Another words Tega is tiring to force his guy outside to protect the pockect and JS’s first instinct on tacking the snap is to start drifting left right into traffic. If he would as most QB’s and stay in the center of the pass pro and step up I truelly believe he would be more successful. Just my two cents.

Gus has been here 6 years. The absolute embarrassing OL classes we have had recently and/or lack of player development at that position  is all on him.  He got JB out because he could not recruit. He brings in HIS GUY Herb Hand even though his units at Penn ST had atrocious numbers because he was supposed to recruit. Other than being funny on twitter Herb did not help us at all in crutin. Then he brings back the guy he forced out?! BANANAS man! The Gus era in a nutshell.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, AU64 said:

Good points all.....and I do believe that Greene also approved the Gus contract even before he was hired.   Can't image that Leath or the BOT would not have discussed that possibility with him or other serous candidates during the evaluation process. Would not have been good to saddle Greene with a HC who he had questions over. 

But it's a mess....and I don't think he's coaching for his job as long as the team is out there giving 100% on the field.   if they give the appearance of packing it in early, that's a different story IMO.. 

wrong ric flair GIF

Gus vs Jimbo II, get ready to suffer through replays of our national title game loss to FSU in the last 13 seconds. I see this as a sloppy but close AU win so it will be a wash in the coaching hot seat discussion: those supporting Gus will point to rare home win in this series and those dumping on Gus will point out how more convincing even Miss State's win was against aTm.

Coaching aside and fwiw - in August I wanted to win this game more than any other this season, other than Bama.

Go Auburn, beat Aggies!

“Ithink folks fail to figure in that RBs with great vision like KJ and Tre don’t come around that often”.

you lost me at this statement.  Hate to say it, but RB’s like those two are the norm for most teams.    Alabama has three and Georgia has two.   

On 10/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, AU64 said:

and I do believe that Greene also approved the Gus contract even before he was hired.

serge-ibaka-missed-dunk.gif

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Gus vs Jimbo II, get ready to suffer through replays of our national title game loss to FSU in the last 13 seconds. I see this as a sloppy but close AU win so it will be a wash in the coaching hot seat discussion: those supporting Gus will point to rare home win in this series and those dumping on Gus will point out how more convincing even Miss State's win was against aTm.

Coaching aside and fwiw - in August I wanted to win this game more than any other this season, other than Bama.

Go Auburn, beat Aggies!

i hope you get your wish!

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

“Ithink folks fail to figure in that RBs with great vision like KJ and Tre don’t come around that often”.

you lost me at this statement.  Hate to say it, but RB’s like those two are the norm for most teams.    Alabama has three and Georgia has two.   

THANK YOU for responding to that poster above.  Our conference rivals seem to be able to acquire RBs with great vision, SEC size, and loads of talent very very often.  Some would even say they stock pile RBs with those qualities on an annual basis.  

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

THANK YOU for responding to that poster above.  Our conference rivals seem to be able to acquire RBs with great vision, SEC size, and loads of talent very very often.  Some would even say they stock pile RBs with those qualities on an annual basis.  

I do not see a lot of people putting Tim Hortons feet to the fire but he absolutely has not been getting it done on the trail the last few years when it comes to RB crutin. And I know I know. Coaches recruit areas but horton has not really been getting it done period on the trail regardless of position. I know 247 has him being Bo Nix lead recruiter but that was the layups of all layups. 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, IronMan70 said:

You may be right but barring a total collapse in the remaining games I think they bring him back for 2019. Gus's biggest issue all these years has been losing those games he had no business losing. From the 2013 NC game, to the 2014 TAMU game, to the 2016 and 2017 UGA games, to the 2018 LSU, MSU and UT games, to all the bowl games, the list is long and frustrating.

You do realize that Auburn defeated #1 ranked UGA in 2017, right?

Just now, Rednilla said:

You do realize that Auburn defeated #1 ranked UGA in 2017, right?

I’m sure he meant 2015 and 2016...

You must be rubbin off on me Rednilla, I’m really trying to be positive about Saturday.  I actually think we’re gonna win.

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m sure he meant 2015 and 2016...

You must be rubbin off on me Rednilla, I’m really trying to be positive about Saturday.  I actually think we’re gonna win.

I think we've got a lot better shot against TAMU than UGA or UAT.

Just now, Rednilla said:

I think we've got a lot better shot against TAMU than UGA or UAT.

Agreed but if we figure anything solid out on offense at all I think uga is not completely out of the question either.  Now whether we can figure anything out is up for debate. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Agreed but if we figure anything solid out on offense at all I think uga is not completely out of the question either.  Now whether we can figure anything out is up for debate. 

I agree. Much as I hate to say it, Bama looks quite unbeatable, but UGA lost handily to a team we should have beaten, so we do have that going in our favor.

Just now, Rednilla said:

I agree. Much as I hate to say it, Bama looks quite unbeatable, but UGA lost handily to a team we should have beaten, so we do have that going in our favor.

Yeah unless LSU plays the game of their life on both sides of the ball they don’t have a shot and I believe they are the only ones with a shot since its in Baton Rouge.  Bama will boat race everyone else and maybe only Clempson could give them a fight in the playoff...will this never end? 

11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I agree with y'all.  We can beat TAMU, UGA is a maybe, bama is a no. 

32 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I agree with y'all.  We can beat TAMU, UGA is a maybe, bama is a no. 

If tua gets injured, arrested for capital murder or abducted by aliens we got a shot. 

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

haha come on!!! Do not fall for thinking we have a shot at Athens. They are gonna cream us at Sanford Stadium. Athens is our Eastern division house of horrors. Like Red Stick is in the West Division. Have not won there since 05. I do not see that streak stopping for a long time unfortunately. Our best chance was in 16 AND WE BLEW IT. I think it will resemble the 2014 game. We score first. We all get excited and then we proceed to have our heart ripped out the rest of the game. Fromm will have the game of his life and the WRs will make spectacular NFL WR kind of catches like Washington, Lsu and Rocky Tops WRs have all done vs us. 

Archived