Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

After the Ole Miss win it's likely Gus will be back next year. If he is then it will mean by the end of the 2019 season he will be involved in Auburn football for 10 years, 3 as OC and 7 as HC. That is more than enough time to know the final form this experiment will take that is known as AU Head Coach Gus Malzahn.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

After the Ole Miss win it's likely Gus will be back next year. If he is then it will mean by the end of the 2019 season he will be involved in Auburn football for 10 years, 3 as OC and 7 as HC. That is more than enough time to know the final form this experiment will take that is known as AU Head Coach Gus Malzahn.

What does that say about our program and where we are at when a win against Ole Miss one of the worst SEC defenses you will ever see is what secured his job for another season? O how far we have fallen. We need to stop kicking this can down the road. Enough is enough. We KNOW what Malzahn is and that is 8-5 most years. Get him the heck out of here. PLEASE! He is not nor will he ever change. He is to stubborn. If he was going to he would of already.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

What does that say about our program and where we are at when a win against Ole Miss one of the worst SEC defenses you will ever see is what secure his job for another season? O how far we have fallen. We need to stop kicking this can down the road. Enough is enough. We KNOW what Malzahn is and that is 8-5 most years. Get him the heck out of here. PLEASE! He is not nor will he ever change. He is to stubborn. If he was going to he would of already.

Stop.  You’re going to upset @Rednilla @AU64 and @Mikey...Gus is great, Gus is good, let us thank him for our....uhhh 7-8 wins a year. By his hands we are fed....uh....excuses and scapegoats...thank you Gus for taking all our bread? 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What does that say about our program and where we are at when a win against Ole Miss one of the worst SEC defenses you will ever see is what secure his job for another season? O how far we have fallen. We need to stop kicking this can down the road. Enough is enough. We KNOW what Malzahn is and that is 8-5 most years. Get him the heck out of here. PLEASE! He is not nor will he ever change. He is to stubborn. If he was going to he would of already.

It doesn't say much but it's what I think will happen.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Stop.  You’re going to upset @Rednilla @AU64 and @Mikey...Gus is great, Gus is good, let us thank him for our....uhhh 7-8 wins a year. By his hands we are fed....uh....excuses and scapegoats...thank you Gus for taking all our bread? 

I have no clue why them OR ANYONE for that matter would defend Gus so much. I despise him more than any coach we have had Football or basketball in my lifetime. It is one thing to be bad with little talent. IT IS A WHOLE OTHER THING to get top 10 recruiting classes every year and crap the bed year after year and our 4 and 5 stars being coached down.

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

It doesn't say much but it's what I think will happen.

I do not think a win against frickin Ole Miss is going to change the opinion on the PTB that do not like Gus and want him gone. These next 3 sec games is the only ones that will swing the pendulum one way or another on his fate. If we get our teeth kicked in by TAMU, Dawgs and UAT then he is gone. I think especially those 2 on the road will be ugly and he will not be able to survive.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have no clue why them OR ANYONE for that matter would defend Gus so much. I despise him more than any coach we have had Football or basketball in my lifetime. It is one thing to be bad with little talent. IT IS A WHOLE OTHER THING to get top 10 recruiting classes every year and crap the bed year after year and our 4 and 5 stars being coached down.

Yeah God love them man. I’m just so tired of watching the train wreck. I watched the last two years of Dye which were difficult, I was at Auburn in Bowden’s last year and went to every home game, I watched through 2008 and 2012 and none of those seasons made me apathetic about a season....Gus is actually causing me to just lose interest for the only time in my life.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not think a win against frickin Ole Miss is going to change the opinion on the PTB that do not like Gus and want him gone. These next 3 sec games is the only ones that will swing the pendulum one way or another on his fate. If we get our teeth kicked in by TAMU, Dawgs and UAT then he is gone. I think especially those 2 on the road will be ugly and he will not be able to survive.

I hate to agree with him but I think Gus is safe short of a loss to Liberty and getting embarrassed badly by uga and uat. It’s a big mess and I swear only Auburn could’ve put itself in this ridiculous position.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah God love them man. I’m just so tired of watching the train wreck. I watched the last two years of Dye which were difficult, I was at Auburn in Bowden’s last year and went to every home game, I watched through 2008 and 2012 and none of those seasons made me apathetic about a season....Gus is actually causing me to just lose interest for the only time in my life.

THIS! THIS! THIS! I have never been more mad/apathetic over AU football in my life. ALL OF THE JOY and fervor I have for our games every saturday gets zapped each year gus is our coach! Last november is incredible and then our last 2 games reminded us ONCE AGAIN who gus really is at his core as a coach. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I hate to agree with him but I think Gus is safe short of a loss to Liberty and getting embarrassed badly by uga and uat. It’s a big mess and I swear only Auburn could’ve put itself in this ridiculous position.

Gus on the road? against quality teams?! You have seen our track record! We are going to get curbstomped. That is why I am more confident than most people that he is gone. 2-4 vs our 3 biggest rivals in Bama, Georgia and Bama will be too much to overcome. Especially after 2 butt whoopings to end the year. A Bham bowl bid won't save him this time! lol.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, GwillMac6 said:

You may be right but barring a total collapse in the remaining games I think they bring him back for 2019. Gus's biggest issue all these years has been losing those games he had no business losing. From the 2013 NC game, to the 2014 TAMU game, to the 2015 and 2016 UGA games, to the 2018 LSU, MSU and UT games, to all the bowl games, the list is long and frustrating.

Just now, IronMan70 said:

You may be right but barring a total collapse in the remaining games I think they bring him back for 2019. Gus's biggest issue all these years has been losing those games he had no business losing. From the 2013 NC game, to the 2014 TAMU game, to the 2016 and 2017 UGA games, to the 2018 LSU, MSU and UT games, to all the bowl games, the list is long and frustrating.

Co sign that Iron Man. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree on this 3 game swing. Ole Miss bought Gus some time, but  several people that follow the program say his support has cratered amongst the people that matter. If AU is trying to raise money for capital projects in football, that's going to be hard to pull off with a coach that the money people aren't behind.

On top of his on field failures, look at what his tenure  has done to our fan base...and before one of the Gus lovers says something I’m not saying he did it on purpose or cares but we are split worse than I’ve ever seen. Just look at this board for evidence of where our fan base is....angry, apathetic, tired, disappointed, disillusioned...these are not adjectives you want associated with your program...we need a breath of fresh air to pull it back together.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, aucom96 said:

Why? The buyout will still be huge and next year is going to be a rough season. We'll still be thin on the OL, likely be breaking in a brand new QB and will lose several playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. If Gus is kept around, there will also likely be the usual firing of the scapegoat and we'll break in another coordinator. We'll be on the road for Oregon, A&M, Florida and LSU...pretty brutal. I don't see where the crop of available coaches will be any different if we make a move in a year, either. 

If Gus' buyout is protecting him, we're in for a long, ugly haul before he's gone...and Leath needs to precede him out the door. 

From early indications, your last sentence looks prudent. He has continued his penchant for financial mismanagement shown in his previous job and there's no reason to believe it won't continue. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not think a win against frickin Ole Miss is going to change the opinion on the PTB that do not like Gus and want him gone. 

If that isn’t going to be taken into consideration, you should flip the script and explain why a curb stomping to Bama should not be taken into consideration? Bama averages 38 points by halftime and is curb stomping everybody, and we play them at their place. I doubt we get curb stomped by either of UGA and aTm. May even steal a game.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

If that isn’t going to be taken consideration, you should flip the script and explain why a curb stomping to Bama should not be taken into consideration? Bama averages 38 points by halftime and is curb stomping everybody. I doubt we get curb stomped by either of UGA and aTm.

Lord help me but for some completely unknown reason I’m starting to think we have a shot at aTm and thuga...I have no idea why...

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Lord help me but for some completely unknown reason I’m starting to think we have a shot at aTm and thuga...I have no idea why...

Same. We have a shot at both thanks to our defense alone. If our offensive coaches coach with a little urgency, watch out. 

With Gus. 2015, Auburn finished the 2015 season at 7-6 overall and 2-6 in the SEC. 2018. With 4 games remaining in the 2018 season, Auburn is 5-3 overall and 2-3 in the SEC. With Texas A&M, Liberty, Georgia and Alabama left on our regular season, there's a very good chance that Auburn with Gus Malzahn coaching with end up 6-6 overall and 2-6 in the SEC. If that does indeed happen, I hope the BOT's some of you fans enjoy having a losing head coach.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, AU80cruiser said:

I believe he is and I see no way we have a shot to win that game.

I see no way we have a shot to win the Alabama game but a home game against a first year SEC coach whose team has looked okay but certainly not unbeatable especially on defense? I see many ways we have a shot to win this game 

22 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

On top of his on field failures, look at what his tenure  has done to our fan base...and before one of the Gus lovers says something I’m not saying he did it on purpose or cares but we are split worse than I’ve ever seen. Just look at this board for evidence of where our fan base is....angry, apathetic, tired, disappointed, disillusioned...these are not adjectives you want associated with your program...we need a breath of fresh air to pull it back together.

This.  Gus in many ways is a victim of his own success (OC with the fab five at Arkansas, Co-OC at Tulsa breaking records, turning us from 3-9 to the MBCS national championship game in his first year, part of or HC of multiple top ten recruiting classes, OC of Cam's national championship season, and finally the 7 year 7 million dollar man).  Barfield's tenure was awful, but coming off of Shug's final two of three bad years it wasn't as bad as Gus.  Dye was set up by Ramsey and REC and ended badly but he's still revered. Bowden's off the field soiree's with the wrong people but started 20-1-1 didn't feel as bad when the last season went badly.  Even Tub's jetgate didn't divide the fanbase as much as #ButGus.  Hell, I know better because I've seen it for six years now, but I actually think it's possible to beat TAMU, Liberty, and Georgia which would give us 9-3, but I know deep down it's not gonna happen. His off the field qualities are held in high esteem by some of the fan base which makes them willing to overlook his ineptitude on the field.  So for the religious types, what did God say about being luke warm?  Something about spewing them out of his mouth?  I'm tired of it.  That is all. 8-5 can kiss my butt.

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I see no way we have a shot to win the Alabama game but a home game against a first year SEC coach whose team has looked okay but certainly not unbeatable especially on defense? I see many ways we have a shot to win this game 

It's about the matchup. Their dline vs our oline is not a good mix for us. Also they are number 2 against the run in the entire country. 

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

It's about the matchup. Their dline vs our oline is not a good mix for us. Also they are number 2 against the run in the entire country. 

Jimbo vs Gus in a game of football wits might as well be Tony Barbee vs Coach K with how lopsided it is lol.

17 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

2008? 2012? Time is erasing the emotion you likely felt towards the end of those dumpster fire seasons.

Archived