Chances of a new Offensive Game Plan

ALTiger

On 10/29/2018 at 10:18 PM, AU64 said:

Believe it or not.....that's up to you....but look up Chips meager record and see what you find.    As for the hire.....Gus knew him from work at AU and thought he would do a good job at AU with better talent.....looks like he was wrong.   But not the first coach to make a bad hire?     JMO but the problem Gus might have is cutting the cord when it is necessary.

Meanwhile, ...look at the guys getting fired this week.....and watch for who gets fired over the next month.   Who hired all those guys?     Some folks need to look around and see what Div 1 college football is like outside of the state of Alabama.  

As for the execution issue.....I agree...but it's easier to fire the coach than to fire the players...so that is usually the solution that desperate owners turn to...but mostly new coaches get the same results from the same players as did the previous coach....until they find a way to move them along.    

Lindsey and Horton are the hands-on coaches and it's they who are not getting the results....and I only put the blame on Gus if he continues to allow that to happen without making changes.     So Frost and Chip Kelly  and the guy at FSU are limping along ….waiting until they can get some players who will do it "their way".  

The Cleveland Browns coach is available.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

The Cleveland Browns coach is available.

Tee Martin also....think some folks were lobbying for him a few years ago. 

I don't keep up with names of OCs scattered around the country but in watching football on any given weekend I have to admit that quite a few teams have much more open and interesting offenses than AU.....and not just in the Big 12 where there are no defenses.

My gosh , even the NFL has more interesting offenses than the SEC which has begun to look like the NFL before Cam and a few other guys brought a little life to the league. 

On 10/29/2018 at 9:03 AM, I_M4_AU said:

The best chance to see changes is after a bye with Gus.  I am hoping that the game plan includes a QB other the JS sees some action. One can hope.  I’m sure Gus worked on execution.

The offensive coaches have been saying the whole season their problems on offense stem from a lack of execution. What's to make me think they just needed a bye week to get their offensive problems straightened out?

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This has been said very often in smaller pieces before. Big bird just finally took the time out to spell it out in depth. Some of you guys just tend to ignore it due to how you feel about posters.

No.  Most Gus haters on here just spew hate at Gus and blame him for every thing that goes wrong.   Bird laid out that fault goes to a lot of different things that is happening.    Most is coaching but some are effort and poor play by the players 

54 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Most is coaching but some are effort and poor play by the players

Everytime I see this, I'm going to reference who hired the coaches and who recruited the players.  And, if they are not performing up to expectations in game, why are they in game?  And it all goes back to that one guy. Not in year 1 (which ironically was his best year) but in year 6.

The players Gus recruited and coached just aren't executing?  The answer is pretty obvious.

Hire a Recruiting coach. 

Hire some Execution coaches. 

Hire a Redshirt Compliance coach.  

And money isn't a problem.  

We can pay for these new folks and streamline the Offensive play-calling at the same time by firing Chip and replacing him with "Chip."

Chip.jpg

38 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Hire a Recruiting coach. 

Hire some Execution coaches. 

Hire a Redshirt Compliance coach.  

And money isn't a problem.

Sad part is, Saban probably has people in those spots in off the field positions.

42 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Everytime I see this, I'm going to reference who hired the coaches and who recruited the players.  And, if they are not performing up to expectations in game, why are they in game?  And it all goes back to that one guy. Not in year 1 (which ironically was his best year) but in year 6.

Question 1)  Have you ever played?

question 2). Did you ever make a mistake that was your fault after being told by your coach on where to line up, who to guard or anything related to instruction?

question 3). Where you ever put in a situation where the play was perfectly called and executed except for one person?

Auburn is not an elite team this year and games that they have lost have come down to execution of just a handful of plays, whether anyone on this board cares for Gus or not.   Not sure why anyone thought that AU was going to be elite with literally no returning starters (save one) on the offensive line.   

The debate on Gus as the coach is something that will take place at the end of the year.   But the reality of this year is that in spite of Gus and all his failings, the season has come down to just a handful of plays that have determined the outcome of THIS season.   

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

No.  Most Gus haters on here just spew hate at Gus and blame him for every thing that goes wrong.   Bird laid out that fault goes to a lot of different things that is happening.    Most is coaching but some are effort and poor play by the players 

And most people on this board aren’t Gus haters . A very small minority are Gus haters and a small minority love them some Gus. You can easily point out who they are.

If you are on here trying to say Gus shouldn't be blamed just.....you know what? Ok lol. But believe it or not that post by bird is him just saying what many of us have said. I can't speak for anybody else but compared to me he is more articulate with expressing himself and I guess his tone is better.

As far as thoughts I really get along with bird because as crazy as it sound we think alike alot as far as strategy, and assessing problems and strengths in general. 

I have been learning alot from him and some other posters as far as seeing better ways to communicate and I'm even trying to apply it to real life with leadership positions and such....

So shout out to fellow board members helping me out to try to be better. I'm making this positive post because I don't care nobody is going to bully me to a point where I'm going to pretend that what we have going on with the team is ok 😂

22 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure why anyone thought that AU was going to be elite with literally no returning starters (save one) on the offensive line.   

Who's responsible?

23 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

But the reality of this year is that in spite of Gus and all his failings, the season has come down to just a handful of plays that have determined the outcome of THIS season.

No one play determines the outcome of the game.  It is a culmination of plays that may be highlighted by a few plays, but if you had done better (preparation, planning, scheming, playcalling, game management, recruiting, and coaching) the game wouldn't come down to a handful of plays.  You could also say his best season in 2013 came down to a handful of plays, but that wouldn't be true either as those plays wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't been in position from the other plays during the game.

Your questions are irrelevant to the point of Gus being responsible for the past 6 years.

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you are on here trying to say Gus shouldn't be blamed just.....you know what? Ok lol. But believe it or not that post by bird is him just saying what many of us have said. I can't speak for anybody else but compared to me he is more articulate with expressing himself and I guess his tone is better.

As far as thoughts I really get along with bird because as crazy as it sound we think alike alot as far as strategy, and assessing problems and strengths in general. 

I have been learning alot from him and some other posters as far as seeing better ways to communicate and I'm even trying to apply it to real life with leadership positions and such....

So shout out to fellow board members helping me out to try to be better. I'm making this positive post because I don't care nobody is going to bully me to a point where I'm going to pretend that what we have going on with the team is ok 😂

Bird is arguably the most respected poster on this board TBH. 

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who's responsible?

No one play determines the outcome of the game.  It is a culmination of plays that may be highlighted by a few plays, but if you had done better (preparation, planning, scheming, playcalling, game management, recruiting, and coaching) the game wouldn't come down to a handful of plays.  You could also say his best season in 2013 came down to a handful of plays, but that wouldn't be true either as those plays wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't been in position from the other plays during the game.

Your questions are irrelevant to the point of Gus being responsible for the past 6 years.

In summary:  

If your players must make no mistakes, the weather must be good, and the planets must be in alignment to beat Tennessee or Mississippi State, your team is just not good.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Question 1)  Have you ever played?

question 2). Did you ever make a mistake that was your fault after being told by your coach on where to line up, who to guard or anything related to instruction?

question 3). Where you ever put in a situation where the play was perfectly called and executed except for one person?

Auburn is not an elite team this year and games that they have lost have come down to execution of just a handful of plays, whether anyone on this board cares for Gus or not.   Not sure why anyone thought that AU was going to be elite with literally no returning starters (save one) on the offensive line.   

The debate on Gus as the coach is something that will take place at the end of the year.   But the reality of this year is that in spite of Gus and all his failings, the season has come down to just a handful of plays that have determined the outcome of THIS season.   

Year SIX man, year freaking SIX. If there are numbers or talent deficiencies at a position, especially one as important to this offensive genius’s scheme as offensive line and running back, then that’s on GUS! Good lord! Blaming the damn players who are trying to survive in a damn dumpster fire.  Our boys are running Harry High School offense while defensive coordinators who oppose us are laughing their ass off. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Bird is arguably the most respected poster on this board TBH. 

Someone needs to go check on Golf ASAP.

All. I saw from the players was quotes about execution which tells  me that the staff didn't do anything  but feed them crap. 

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man, you DB guys really stick together.  :tease:

I always respect when people are willing to look in the mirror and think about what they can do better. And you know that I've been #teamcole for a long time, but I do hope that more people are able to get past their emotions and understand what you bring to this board because you know and understand the game and the athletes a lot better than most of us. 

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

All. I saw from the players was quotes about execution which tells  me that the staff didn't do anything  but feed them crap. 

Noticed that. It means the coaches have run out of excuses and ideas.  This is often the last stage before heads roll.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:39 AM, ALTiger said:

What are the chances that we have changed our offensive philosophy (play to JS's strengths) over the BYE week?  Do you think it would happen?  

I don't think any plan changes are necessary. Throw the ball where it needs to go, catch the pass when it hits you in the hands, don't fumble at the goal line and the defense make a stop when it's critical (see 4th qtr LSU game) and we'd be unbeaten right now.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think a lot of changes are necessary. Throw the ball in the middle of the field more often, involve the right players in the gameplan to make plays and don’t completely rely on certain personel packages to dictate playcalling that the defense knows is coming,  recruit better offensive linemen and use the RB’s you have instead of trying to ride one into the ground, and the despite some struggles no one should dare blame this  defense for any of our losses. and every team looks back on their losses and said what could have been if only....winning teams who have solid coaching and don’t place blame on everyone but the head coach don’t have to make excuses...

FIFY

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think any plan changes are necessary. Throw the ball where it needs to go, catch the pass when it hits you in the hands, don't fumble at the goal line and the defense make a stop when it's critical (see 4th qtr LSU game) and we'd be unbeaten right now.

With that logic couldn't any team that's performing poorly say these things? Couldn't every bad NFL say this as well?  This is not combative btw, I'm really asking

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

With that logic couldn't any team that's performing poorly say these things? Couldn't every bad NFL say this as well?  This is not combative btw, I'm really asking

You sir....are....exactly....RIGHT! 

Archived