Stidham

corchjay

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

No one could answer my question? What are these stidham physical capabilities or traits that are off the charts?

Likely because the answer is none. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The offensive problems rest squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line. No more, no less. If the line were at least serviceable, our offense would have been clicking because the running game would be doing better, which leads to the passing game being better. Football is a game that is won and lost in the trenches, and we have the talent everywhere else to be good. And if the offense were clicking, the defense would likely be playing more inspired ball, too. In other words, if the O-line were solid, we'd be no worse than 10-1 with a shot at the SEC Championship Game going into this week.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

No one could answer my question? What are these stidham physical capabilities or traits that are off the charts?

I was not in this discussion but i would say he is elite when he goes to his first or second read with no pressure. He throws the ball extremely accurate with good velocity. But that is when a defense is geared to stop a strong run game and the o line can protect. With no run game and not great protection it's a different story. He's just not a playmaker i have seen no ability to improvise. This was hard to see last year after the first few games because the run game. I probably shouldn't judge a book by its cover but he just doesn't seem passionate about the game. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was not in this discussion but i would say he is elite when he goes to his first or second read with no pressure. He throws the ball extremely accurate with good velocity. But that is when a defense is geared to stop a strong run game and the o line can protect. With no run game and not great protection it's a different story. He's just not a playmaker i have seen no ability to improvise. This was hard to see last year after the first few games because the run game. I probably shouldn't judge a book by its cover but he just doesn't seem passionate about the game. 

I just think elite is starting to get thrown around too much. Elite is best of the best, when JS throws the ball nothing about it jumps out to me. And I didn't see him go through reads that well this year, but maybe he has a super strong arm that I'm not noticing

No link. Actually just heard them discussing it on 680 the Fan in Atlanta. I guess one of the guys interviewed Stidham this week leading up to the Bama game and he mentioned that he was considering grad transfer and discussions might already be in play with Houston.

i stole this from another site for the record but it sure makes sense. if gus will not completely turn stid loose and it is hurting him i can see him hooking up with baby briles.............

just another day of my fearless attempts to bring you guys the latest......................waves.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I just think elite is starting to get thrown around too much. Elite is best of the best, when JS throws the ball nothing about it jumps out to me. And I didn't see him go through reads that well this year, but maybe he has a super strong arm that I'm not noticing

Did you see that 16-18 yard out pattern thrown all the way across the field to Seth Williams? I realize it was against Liberty, but that was an NFL caliber throw. He has the arm strength, and when given the time, he can make some really good throws. I question his ability to read through progressions, but then that might be a symptom of fearing he's running out of time with the protection. I also question his dedication to the team, what with the way he basically skipped summer workouts (I realize he had an injury, but he could/should have been with the team and watching the route trees progress, at least), but we will see how it all plays out.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Not Nick Marshall strong but strong enough. Elite is how I describe the accuracy and strength combined it’s strong enough. He’s never shown me he can go through reads. I would take Nick Marshall with shackles over Jarrett.  What Jarrett is elite with takes a lot of parts around him operating near flawlessly. 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, McLoofus said:

Even before this season started, I said something along the lines of I hope Bo Nix is exactly what you describe. 

As for which games we win or lose with adequate QB play and leadership, uga's the only one that I think maybe we still lose. And even that one's a question mark. 

The thing is, a true leader at QB could have helped this offense and entire team in so many ways other than just making plays on the field. And more success earlier on could have had this team playing with a lot more heart and confidence this past Saturday. Might've even had the head man coaching with more heart and confidence. 

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^ Cam was a leader that was a unique talent and leader..........Always felt his leadership made the entire team better.........when talent was down against bammer it was leadership that pulled the team together in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^ Cam was a leader that was a unique talent and leader..........Always felt his leadership made the entire team better.........when talent was down against bammer it was leadership that pulled the team together in my opinion.

Leadership.....maybe there is something going on that I don't see but there just has not been much of that shown.....infrequently in the past two years has he brought the team back with a late rally at the half...or end of a game.     With Cam and Nick, I never thought the game was over as long as we was time on the clock. ..JMO but the remarkable thing about that TAMU win was that things like that have happened so seldom in the past two years.   JS might have an NFL arm but unfortunately, many other shortcomings keep him from being an outstanding college QB....and far from being unique. 

PS...if he wants to solidify his reputation at AU, he needs to lead an inferior AU team over bama…..The big upset wins last season were mostly on KJ.....this game depends on JS having a career day...JMO

9 hours ago, alexava said:

He is a veteran . He should have solved some of his obvious problems. He tends to throw high passes usually over his recievers hands and sometimes into the defenders hands . A lot of the catches Seth makes are over his head. He is a gifted reciever and he goes up and makes the play . The worst of this comes in the red zone where a lot of his passes sail harmlessly out of the back of the end zone. I like JS but he can bet that the scouts take notice of this.

JS has a much better college resume than Josh Allen and Sam Darnold, and they went first round picksI dont see JS having  first or second round mechanics or decision making, but the NFL has perplexing criteria at times. . I have been most curious about what type of leader JS is perceived to be by his teammates. 

If Stidham wants to go play with Briles then bring Briles to Auburn.  It’d be a upgrade over Houston and one good season at Auburn would probably get him set up to take over at HC for someone.  Ole Miss will probably be looking for a new one in the next year.  

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, I don't see elite in any area, but elite is rare.  Stidham has good size.  Decent athleticism.  He has above average arm strength, and this may be elite but subjective - he throws a very catchable ball (by that, I mean he has good spin on the ball and is able to throw it with timing and velocity that makes it easy for a receiver to catch it, when he has time and confidence where to throw it).  He seems to understand the game and be able to comprehend a more complex offense than he is working with.  I'd guess he'll get drafted higher than most think and he may get in a good situation where he can sit and learn and not have to play right away.  In Gus' offense, he's just a more athletic Chris Todd with better arm strength, but worse scheming and play calling (Gus 2009 isn't the Gus we have now).

He does have arm strength.  As stated before, he doesn’t seem to work through progressions quickly. I think this is due to the fact that when pressured he focuses on the pressure and not progressions. And with this truly “offensive” line that pressure is most of the time. He either bails too late or too early, and he thinks he is faster than he really is. Waits too long to throw the ball, as many times he waits for receivers to be open. This is the sec, open is very relative. Some of this I think has been on the receivers, but I have seen some improvement getting open and watching the qb  

I guess he could be successful with some teams and situations. It just doesn’t seem to be working here.  Without a line it is very difficult to think much of anyone could be successful, unless it was a Nick Marshall style qb. 

11 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah, I don't see elite in any area, but elite is rare.  Stidham has good size.  Decent athleticism.  He has above average arm strength, and this may be elite but subjective - he throws a very catchable ball (by that, I mean he has good spin on the ball and is able to throw it with timing and velocity that makes it easy for a receiver to catch it, when he has time and confidence where to throw it).  He seems to understand the game and be able to comprehend a more complex offense than he is working with.  I'd guess he'll get drafted higher than most think and he may get in a good situation where he can sit and learn and not have to play right away.  In Gus' offense, he's just a more athletic Chris Todd with better arm strength, but worse scheming and play calling (Gus 2009 isn't the Gus we have now).

Well my thing is if he can understand and stuff why can't he make a read? This basic offense and you can't make reads? We even screw him because we don't usually have intermediate reads and we avoid the middle of the field.....I've gotten to the point I can make them to an extent watching on TV because it's like 3 to 4 targets. You see quick if your outside guy is doubled or not. Two reads then your dump off to the back. That's it. So I guess I haven't seen anything to make me think he can handle a more complex offense. All I heard was how he knew this offense and would be able to audible at the line. Have you seen that? I sure haven't. As a matter of fact I've only seen once where he could handle a drive in a hurry session to even end a half. Most times Gus doesn't even trust him to try to get aggressive to end the first freaking half

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well my thing is if he can understand and stuff why can't he make a read? This basic offense and you can't make reads? We even screw him because we don't usually have intermediate reads and we avoid the middle of the field.....I've gotten to the point I can make them to an extent watching on TV because it's like 3 to 4 targets. You see quick if your outside guy is doubled or not. Two reads then your dump off to the back. That's it. So I guess I haven't seen anything to make me think he can handle a more complex offense. All I heard was how he knew this offense and would be able to audible at the line. Have you seen that? I sure haven't. As a matter of fact I've only seen once where he could handle a drive in a hurry session to even end a half. Most times Gus doesn't even trust him to try to get aggressive to end the first freaking half

Pressure.  Not unique to football, but pressure can make a genius a bumbling idiot. 

2 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

Pressure.  Not unique to football, but pressure can make a genius a bumbling idiot. 

This is true, but to be an athlete at the lowest level you deal with pursue. On top of that he is a QB. It's literally what he signed up for. It should've been expected. 

Stidham up until this year had great accuracy on the deep ball things the NFL love.  He has a strong arm but not a cannon.  He’s pretty mechanically sounds when just tossing the ball around.   But other then those characteristics he lacks in leadership qualities and many of the traits that you just naturally have like playing to win the game.  I have no doubt he wants to win and throw for 300 plus but he doesn’t step ups into the pocket every.  He’s not very accurate on the move.  He’s slow in his progressions and those are killers in the NFL.

This is just a personal opinion but I get the impression he was/is just going through the motions this year hoping to put up decent numbers be a late first rounder or early second and be done.  Nothing shows that he wants to win at all cost which is required at all positions.  

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

This is just a personal opinion but I get the impression he was/is just going through the motions this year hoping to put up decent numbers be a late first rounder or early second and be done.  Nothing shows that he wants to win at all cost which is required at all positions.  

If what your gut says is true then Stidham has a prime opportunity tomorrow to show off for NFL scouts.  Put up 350yds and 4tds against Bama and NFL scouts may forget what they saw earlier this season.

46 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If what your gut says is true then Stidham has a prime opportunity tomorrow to show off for NFL scouts.  Put up 350yds and 4tds against Bama and NFL scouts may forget what they saw earlier this season.

Then everyone will jump him and the rest of the team for underperforming all year. It’s a no win situation either way. 

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Might as well go to Houston with Briles and his fiancé family. At least the shadows think so.

D’Eriq King is just a junior. He’s done for this year with an injury but has thrown for 3,000 yards with 36 TDs. Otherwise I would think UH would be the right destination for JS. But I wouldnt mind bringing Kendall Briles to AU. 

34 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Then everyone will jump him and the rest of the team for underperforming all year. It’s a no win situation either way. 

Hence why Gus is afraid to show out tomorrow. Big bad AlaskanFAN waiting for him in the dark alley. 

I watched some Jarrett highlights from last year and what I noticed is that this year is a real rebuilding year on offense. We replaced most all offensive linemen. Kerryon is gone. Jarrett’s weapons at WR Will Hastings, Eli Stove, Nate Craig Myers, Kyle Davis all gone or injured. I also noticed Slayton made some big plays that he simply hasn’t made this year. I still don’t think Jarrett is as good as he was hyped to be but he certainly didn’t have much help returning.

Archived