Senator Ted Kennedy

Tigermike

LANDMARK DEMANDS KENNEDY STOP ASSAULT ON JUDICIARY

April 6, 2005 - Landmark's news release accompanying the Foundation's letter to Senator Kennedy about inflammatory rhetoric he and other senators have used in relation to Federal judges and hd

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

703-554-6100

(Leesburg, VA) Landmark Legal Foundation today demanded that Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy stop his personal assault on the federal judiciary, especially the United States Supreme Court.

Landmark president Mark R. Levin said, “I am deeply concerned that Kennedy and some of his colleagues have helped create a dangerous environment of disrespect and hostility for the federal judiciary. Starting with the vicious attack on Judge Robert Bork’s character in 1987, and continuing with several of President Bush’s nominees, Kennedy, working with People for the American Way and other groups, has sought to tear down the reputations of justices, judges and judicial nominees with whom he disagrees.”

Levin, also author of the New York Times bestseller on the Supreme Court, Men in Black, sent a letter today to Kennedy with examples of irresponsible and reckless rhetoric that he and others in his party have used to attack the courts and judicial nominees.

Levin added, “Accusing judges or judicial nominees of supporting back alley abortions, being an embarrassment, subverting the popular vote, and being Frankenstein is hit-and-run rhetoric of the worse kind. Kennedy has done enormous and unjustifiable damage to the public’s perception of the judiciary’s role. I ask that he cease his irresponsible behavior.”

Landmark is a public interest law firm founded in 1976, with offices in Kansas City, MO and Leesburg, VA.

END

http://www.landmarklegal.org/tickerstory.cfm?webpage_id=597

I love Teddy Kennedy, if for no other reason than he pisses off right-wingnuts almost daily!!!

I love Teddy Kennedy, if for no other reason than he pisses off right-wingnuts almost daily!!!

154640[/snapback]

Al your admiration for the drunkard Teddy boy is almost as high as what the Bammers have for their former drunk leader.

154640[/snapback]

Al your admiration for the drunkard Teddy boy is almost as high as what the Bammers have for their former drunk leader.

154649[/snapback]

Thanks, Mike!

154640[/snapback]

Yet, he's one of the people that hurts the democratic party. Yeah, he's preaching to the choir in Mass. , but most other places, he's a bad apple for the party

154640[/snapback]

It is too bad all those SO_CALLED Feminists in the Democratic Party cant find it within themselves to tell Kennedy off about Mary Jo Kopechne.

maryjo1.jpg

CHAPPAQUIDDICK'S UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

By Jeff Jacoby

The Boston Globe

July 21, 1994

"I've answered all the questions." -- Senator Edward Kennedy, July 8, 1994 on the tragedy at Chappaquiddick

Twenty-five years ago tomorrow, on July 22, 1969, Mary Jo Kopechne was buried at St. Vincent's Cemetery in Plymouth, Penn. She had died three days earlier, pinned underwater when Senator Kennedy's car swerved off Dike Bridge on Chappaquiddick Island.

Within hours of Kopechne's death, a Kennedy aide named Dun Gifford flew a chartered plane into Edgartown (the Martha's Vineyard town that Chappaquiddick is a part of), with orders to get the body off the island. Before Massachusetts officials had even decided whether to perform an autopsy to settle the cause of death, Kopechne's remains were in Pennsylvania -- beyond the state's jurisdiction.

Did Kennedy order Gifford to remove the body?

That's one question the senator has never answered.

In fact, quite a few questions have never been answered.

At least, not by Kennedy.

At least, not truthfully.

Kennedy and Kopechne were part of a group of 12 that had come to Chappaquiddick for the Edgartown Regatta and a private barbecue afterward. Half the guests were married men, half were single women in their 20s. Kennedy and Kopechne left the party at some point that evening and ended up driving off the bridge.

Though Kennedy managed to extricate himself from the car and get back to his motel that night, Kopechne remained in the car until her body was recovered by a Fire Department diver at 8:45 the next morning. To the diver, Captain John Farrar, it was clear that she had neither drowned nor died quickly. Kopechne survived for some time by breathing a pocket of trapped air, finally suffocating to death when the oxygen ran out. When Kennedy reported the accident to the Edgartown police, it was 9:45 a.m. -- some nine or 10 hours after he left Kopechne in his car.What a great supporter of women he is....NOT!

Questions:

-- Why did Kennedy and Kopechne leave the barbecue?

Kennedy said they wanted to return to their respective motels and left to catch the ferry (which only operated until midnight) back to Edgartown center. But Kennedy's chauffeur, who was on hand, didn't drive them; Kopechne didn't take her purse or her room key; and they didn't go to the ferry. Kennedy headed in the opposite direction -- to Dike Bridge and the secluded beach beyond.

-- What time did they leave?

Kennedy claimed he left at 11:15 p.m., and the accident happened a few minutes later. Yet Deputy Sheriff Huck Look reported seeing Kennedy's black Oldsmobile at 12:45 a.m., heading down Dike Road toward the bridge. After the accident, the senator said he hadn't been able to rescue Kopechne because of the "strong and murky current" in which he kept getting "swept away." In truth there was no current at 11:15. The water was absolutely slack, at low tide. At 12:45, however, the current was fast-moving and strong.

-- Did Kennedy take a wrong turn without realizing it?

So he testified, and his whole story rests upon that claim. But the road to the ferry, which Kennedy had already traveled several times that day, was the only paved road on the island. Anyone driving from the house where the barbecue was held would have felt the road bank unmistakably to the left -- toward the ferry -- and would have seen the shiny left-turn sign. By contrast, it required a deliberate effort to turn right, toward the bridge. Dike Road was unpaved and very bumpy. Its entrance was obscured behind bushes and necessitated a 90-degree turn -- hard to do inadvertently.

-- Why didn't Kennedy call for help to rescue Kopechne?

Because, he said, he was in shock. He called his behavior "irrational, indefensible, inexcusable, and inexplicable."We also call it Criminal...:yes:

Yet he was not too traumatized to return to the barbecue and fetch two close lawyer friends, Joey Gargan and Paul Markham. He was not too traumatized to make more than 16 long-distance phone calls that night to aides and advisers (none of whom tried to get help to Kopechne, either). Despite his "shock," he managed to: return to his motel, complain to the manager about a noisy party, go to sleep, chat with a friend the next morning about the boat race, order two newspapers, meet again with Gargan and Markham, and return to Chappaquiddick to call another lawyer from a pay phone -- all before going to the police. :rolleyes:

Other questions:

-- How much alcohol had Kennedy drunk that night?

-- If he and Kopechne did leave the barbecue at 11:15, what occupied their time until 12:45, when Deputy Look saw them drive toward Dike Bridge?

-- After getting out of the submerged car, why didn't Kennedy walk to the lighted house a few yards away and call for help? Or call from the house with the barbecue? Or from his motel?

-- Did he urge Gargan to fabricate a story about Kopechne being alone in the car when it went off the bridge?

-- Did he go to the police only when he realized he would not be able to carry off such an alibi?

-- If, as Kennedy said later, what was uppermost in his mind was "the tragedy and loss of a very devoted friend," why did he summon 19 high-level political advisers to Hyannis the next day?

-- Was the prosecutor rewarded for not bringing manslaughter or driving-to-endanger charges against Kennedy?

-- Why was the grand jury threatened with jail and intimidated by a judge when it tried to look into the tragedy?

-- When an inquest was eventually held, why did Kennedy fight -- against all precedent -- to keep its proceedings secret?

-- Why was Farrar, the diver, barred from telling the inquest and grand jury what he knew?

Twenty-five years ago tomorrow, Mary Jo Kopechne was buried. Three days later, Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and was sentenced to two months, suspended.

Following the secret inquest in January, District Judge James Boyle found "probable cause" that Kennedy had driven "negligently" and had engaged in "criminal conduct" that "contributed to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne." The senator was never prosecuted and never tried. Though he did not save his young friend that midsummer night in 1969, he did preserve his political career. Kennedy has been reelected to the Senate four times since.

One final question -- the one Kennedy himself asked in 1974, when Richard Nixon was pardoned:

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law, or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?"

(Jeff Jacoby is a columnist for The Boston Globe.)

Go figure. Ted Kennedy and Tom DeLay on the same side.

I'm told Teddy and Senator Orrin Hatch have been long-term friends, too. Spend all morning yelling at each other for the benefit of their constituents, then go out to lunch, helping each other with their coats.

Of course, Hatch, a Mormon, has got to be at least a little frustrated watching Teddy drink lunch all the time...

April 6, 2005 - Landmark's news release accompanying the Foundation's letter to Senator Kennedy about inflammatory rhetoric he and other senators have used in relation to Federal judges and hd

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

703-554-6100

(Leesburg, VA) Landmark Legal Foundation today demanded that Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy stop his personal assault on the federal judiciary, especially the United States Supreme Court.

Landmark president Mark R. Levin said, “I am deeply concerned that Kennedy and some of his colleagues have helped create a dangerous environment of disrespect and hostility for the federal judiciary. Starting with the vicious attack on Judge Robert Bork’s character in 1987, and continuing with several of President Bush’s nominees, Kennedy, working with People for the American Way and other groups, has sought to tear down the reputations of justices, judges and judicial nominees with whom he disagrees.”

Levin, also author of the New York Times bestseller on the Supreme Court, Men in Black, sent a letter today to Kennedy with examples of irresponsible and reckless rhetoric that he and others in his party have used to attack the courts and judicial nominees.

Levin added, “Accusing judges or judicial nominees of supporting back alley abortions, being an embarrassment, subverting the popular vote, and being Frankenstein is hit-and-run rhetoric of the worse kind. Kennedy has done enormous and unjustifiable damage to the public’s perception of the judiciary’s role. I ask that he cease his irresponsible behavior.”

Landmark is a public interest law firm founded in 1976, with offices in Kansas City, MO and Leesburg, VA.

END

http://www.landmarklegal.org/tickerstory.cfm?webpage_id=597

154623[/snapback]

has sought to tear down the reputations of justices, judges and judicial nominees with whom he disagrees.

“Accusing judges or judicial nominees of [fill in blank], being an embarrassment, subverting the popular [will], and being [cold blooded killers] is hit-and-run rhetoric of the worse kind. [untold numbers of Republicans] have done enormous and unjustifiable damage to the public's perception of the judiciary’s role. I ask that they cease their irresponsible behavior.”

Is this about Tom Delay, John Cornyn, Bill Frist, Dubya, or most "conservative" talking heads?

This is rich. The Republicans assault both the state of Florida and federal judiciary over the Schiavo case, some on this board pile on, Tom Delay say's he's coming after 'em; Cornyn suggests some judges invite violence, and then the Wing nuts say Teddy is assaulting the judiciary. Typical Republican move. Attack your opponents for that for which you are most gulity.

With apologies to War Tim: Republicans: nature's hypocrites.

Sorry Tex, did you miss the part about Mary Jom Kopechne dying and the Dems not being able to say ONE WORD to Kennedy about it.

On Schiavo: The Reps in congress were 100% wrong to interfere with her life. I still feel it cheapens life to hear Felos tell us how dignified it all was when anyone with a brain knew it was not. She died a horrible death if not for the morphine. Why did they give her morphine if she was brain dead anyway...hhhmmmm?

I am not happy with the Sir Spend-a-lots. My Republican Party, is far more financially conservative then this bunch. Too much pork, too mauch waste, and way too much borrowing. Hell, they are acting too much like Democrats to suit me in that regard.

154640[/snapback]

Ted Kennedy is a murdering, drunken buffoon, and you 'love ' him? That says a lot for how much you really follow what goes on in politics.

Is this about Tom Delay, John Cornyn, Bill Frist, Dubya, or most "conservative" talking heads?

This is rich. The Republicans assault both the state of Florida and federal judiciary over the Schiavo case, some on this board pile on, Tom Delay say's he's coming after 'em; Cornyn suggests some judges invite violence, and then the Wing nuts say Teddy is assaulting the judiciary. Typical Republican move. *Attack your opponents for that for which you are most gulity.

That's rich, because you clearly describe the Liberal Democrats, and then try to portray the GOP as the one's 'attacking' anyone. You truly live in an alternate universe. Next you're going to say it wasn't Ted Kennedy who murdered MaryJo, but some Republican Senator.....

Sorry Tex, did you miss the part about Mary Jom Kopechne dying and the Dems not being able to say ONE WORD to Kennedy about it.

On Schiavo: The Reps in congress were 100 % to interfere with her life. I still feel it cheapens life to hear Felos tell us how dignified it all was when anyone with a brain knew it was not. She died a horrible death if not for the morphine. Why did they give her morphine if she was brain dead anyway...hhhmmmm?

I am not happy with the Sir Spend-a-lots. My Republican Party, is far more financially conservative then this bunch. Too much pork, too mauch waste, and way too much borrowing. Hell, they are acting too much like Democrats to suit me in that regard.

154748[/snapback]

I didn't miss the part about Mary Jo Kopechne. You mention it all the time. I just honestly don't recall who said what about it 36 years ago in 1969. The Kennedys are similar to the Bushes in that they share some common traits of the rich and powerful. They don't think the same rules apply to them.

This is rich. The Republicans assault both the state of Florida and federal judiciary over the Schiavo case, some on this board pile on, Tom Delay say's he's coming after 'em; Cornyn suggests some judges invite violence, and then the Wing nuts say Teddy is assaulting the judiciary. Typical Republican move. *Attack your opponents for that for which you are most gulity.

That's rich, because you clearly describe the Liberal Democrats, and then try to portray the GOP as the one's 'attacking' anyone. You truly live in an alternate universe. Next you're going to say it wasn't Ted Kennedy who murdered MaryJo, but some Republican Senator.....

154755[/snapback]

So you're saying Republicans don't attack the credibility of the judiciary, only Dems?

154748[/snapback]

No he didn't miss it, he (like all dems) just conveniently overlook that episode.

I have several good friends who live in Boston and other town in Massachusetts. Rumors for years in the great Commonwealth have been that during and after the Chappaquiddick affair there was quite a lot of (Kennedy and Democrat) money spread around. I wonder where it came from, who paid it and who was paid off. Ted Kennedy is the poster boy for the term, Money Talks And bull**** Walks! Teddy Boy has become a caricature of himself.

154748[/snapback]

No he didn't miss it, he (like all dems) just conveniently overlook that episode.

I have several good friends who live in Boston and other town in Massachusetts. Rumors for years in the great Commonwealth have been that during and after the Chappaquiddick affair there was quite a lot of (Kennedy and Democrat) money spread around. I wonder where it came from, who paid it and who was paid off. Ted Kennedy is the poster boy for the term, Money Talks And bull**** Walks! Teddy Boy has become a caricature of himself.

154772[/snapback]

Overlooked? No, I wouldn't vote for him for President for that and other reasons, but I don't live in MA and never see him on a ballot, at least not since the 1980 primary in which I voted for GHW Bush, anyway. But you guys just totally obsess on him and overlook any negative behavior by Repugs. This is prime example, and you dodge my point to focus on an event 36 years ago that has nothing to do with your post. My point addressed your post. You and David change the subject because you have no good response.

154748[/snapback]

154772[/snapback]

But you guys just totally obsess on him and overlook any negative behavior by Repugs. This is prime example, and you dodge my point to focus on an event 36 years ago that has nothing to do with your post. My point addressed your post. You and David change the subject because you have no good response.

154774[/snapback]

I am not overlooking negative behavior by Republicans, this thread started with a press release from a legal foundation concerning Ted Kennedy. You then went on a rant about Republicans. So I will say to you, stay on subject! If you want a thread about negative behavior by Republicans, then start it. Why don't you tell us what you think of the Democrat plan, led by Ted Kennedy, to stall and delay votes on judicial nominations? Why don't you comment on the Democrats plan, led by Ted Kennedy, to obstruct that process? The reason they (Demoncrats) are so fired up about stopping judicial nominees being confirmed, is because they (Demoncrats) know the judiciary is their only way of keeping their liberal agenda alive. They have lost the Presidency! They have lost the Senate! They have lost the House of Representatives! All they have left is the judiciary and they are fighting to hold on. And that fight is led by Ted Kennedy.

You want to talk about attacks? Why don't you talk about the men and women who the Demoncrats have smeared and attempted to ruin in order to keep them off the court? Why don't you give us that list. You talk about Republicans attacking, why don't you talk about Demoncrats attacking viciously and continuously and even while they are attacking, whining about Republicans attacking. That is a standard play out of the Demoncrat playbook. Rip the Republicans to shreds and then whine about Republican attack dogs and the press will immediately pick up on "the Republican attacks".

154739[/snapback]

Where do the Dems fall on this classic line

154748[/snapback]

154772[/snapback]

But you guys just totally obsess on him and overlook any negative behavior by Repugs. This is prime example, and you dodge my point to focus on an event 36 years ago that has nothing to do with your post. My point addressed your post. You and David change the subject because you have no good response.

154774[/snapback]

I am not overlooking negative behavior by Republicans, this thread started with a press release from a legal foundation concerning Ted Kennedy. You then went on a rant about Republicans. So I will say to you, stay on subject! If you want a thread about negative behavior by Republicans, then start it. Why don't you tell us what you think of the Democrat plan, led by Ted Kennedy, to stall and delay votes on judicial nominations? Why don't you comment on the Democrats plan, led by Ted Kennedy, to obstruct that process? The reason they (Demoncrats) are so fired up about stopping judicial nominees being confirmed, is because they (Demoncrats) know the judiciary is their only way of keeping their liberal agenda alive. They have lost the Presidency! They have lost the Senate! They have lost the House of Representatives! All they have left is the judiciary and they are fighting to hold on. And that fight is led by Ted Kennedy.

You want to talk about attacks? Why don't you talk about the men and women who the Demoncrats have smeared and attempted to ruin in order to keep them off the court? Why don't you give us that list. You talk about Republicans attacking, why don't you talk about Demoncrats attacking viciously and continuously and even while they are attacking, whining about Republicans attacking. That is a standard play out of the Demoncrat playbook. Rip the Republicans to shreds and then whine about Republican attack dogs and the press will immediately pick up on "the Republican attacks".

154785[/snapback]

Rant? The press release itself qualifies as a rant. My response was directly to the release. I even quoted it

has sought to tear down the reputations of justices, judges and judicial nominees with whom he disagrees.

“Accusing judges or judicial nominees of [fill in blank], being an embarrassment, subverting the popular [will], and being [cold blooded killers] is hit-and-run rhetoric of the worse kind. [untold numbers of Republicans] have done enormous and unjustifiable damage to the public's perception of the judiciary’s role. I ask that they cease their irresponsible behavior.”

This is rich. The Republicans assault both the state of Florida and federal judiciary over the Schiavo case, some on this board pile on, Tom Delay say's he's coming after 'em; Cornyn suggests some judges invite violence, and then the Wing nuts say Teddy is assaulting the judiciary. Typical Republican move. Attack your opponents for that for which you are most gulity.

154739[/snapback]

154739[/snapback]

The topic was politicians attacking the judiciary. My response addressed that very point. You and your fellow Republicans quickly moved to a particular person being a misbehaving drunk to avoid the larger point of the article. Then you started playing "I'm rubber, you're glue."

The fact is, the complaint voiced in the release is a non-issue. Republicans held up far more of Clinton's appointments than the Dems have with Bush-- about 35% About 95% of Bush's nominees have been confirmed. If the Dems are trying to be obstructionist, they obviously aren't doing it very well. And to issue this release now in an effort to counteract what the Republicans are doing is transparent to any objective person who cares to see the truth.

Archived