Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I've missed whatever started this entire conversation but is their a pro-Gus vs. anti-Gus discussion going on here?

Nope. This is a bring the facts discussion. 

If you really think we shouldn’t view Gus’s complete experience here, then you’re biased. If you think Gus has only won two big games in his last 4 years, then you’re biased. Gus has beaten two ranked opponents this year alone. 

And Zeek, I already know you’re biased against Gus, and I understand where you’re coming from. I still remember the game thread against aTm when you said: “our defense is missing too many tackles, Gus must go now!!” We were down by ten and I was still laughing 

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I've missed whatever started this entire conversation but is their a pro-Gus vs. anti-Gus discussion going on here?

Nope! Anytime anyone offers an honest assessment of our football program, the usual suspects get upset because an honest assessment of our football program does not paint our head coach in a positive light.  (And anytime I post, my creepy stalker crawls out from under his rock to say some dumb harassing crap like "You said 4 wins instead of 5 and that makes a big difference and you have an agenda and what happened 5 years ago matters".)

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nope! Anytime anyone offers an honest assessment of our football program, the usual suspects get upset because an honest assessment of our football program does not paint our head coach in a positive light.  (And anytime I post, my creepy stalker crawls out from under his rock to say some dumb harassing crap like "You said 4 wins instead of 5 and that makes a big difference and you have an agenda and what happened 5 years ago matters".)

You’re “honest assessment” included eschewing years and wins that didn’t match your agenda? You’re pitiful. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nope. This is a bring the facts discussion. 

If you really think we shouldn’t view Gus’s complete experience here, then you’re biased. If you think Gus has only won two big games in his last 4 years, then you’re biased. Gus has beaten two ranked opponents this year alone. 

And Zeek, I already know you’re biased against Gus, and I understand where you’re coming from. I still remember the game thread against aTm when you said” our defense is missing too many tackles, Gus must go now!!” We were down by ten and I was still laughing 

I make no bones about not liking Gus as a coach and I've never tried to hide it. Seriously doubt I blamed Gus for our lack of tackling. The only argument I've made to that point is that Gus' piss poor offense has lead to the decline of the defense and their effort as a whole. That's a point I've made in several threads through numerous posts. Plus, game thread is like insanity anyways. Anything said in a game thread can't be used against you later in court...it's an emotional time lol.

I'm completely fine with looking at his complete experience here. Just like I wouldn't single out last year as good enough of a reason to have resigned him in the first place. Before he got the contract I posted that I hoped we wouldn't resign him to a huge contract in a "knee-jerk" style. Then we decided being reactionary is always the best course of action.

Let's look at pure facts:

52-27 at Auburn over 6 seasons at Auburn. That's an average of 8.7 wins (rounding up) and 4.5 losses per season.

2/6 of the time he's won the division or 1/3 of the time.

3 times he had a team ranked in the top 10 with preseason polls. 3 times he has failed to finish in the top 20 after being ranked in the top 10 of the preseason polls.

He is 1-4 in bowl games.

He's had 1 consensus All-American (Reese Dismukes) who also won the Rimington. He's had no other individual awards won by players. 

2013 he won a bunch of "coach of the year" awards but has won no such awards since.

-------------------------------------------------

Now what? Here's the facts but it's about how we interpret them. Frankly, and again I'm biased, I don't see how these numbers look promising or good enough. The best stat he has is winning the division 1/3 of the time; but to the fanbase it doesn't feel that way because they were so far apart and admittedly the season with Nick Marshall was wild (kick 6 and prayer in Jordan Hare back to back).

My point has been this for quite some time. If we have a head coach whose specialty is offense aren't we justified in being upset with terrible offenses? If he believes he is a great offensive mind would it be so terrible for him to take over play calling and the OC position like other coaches have? If he did, and succeeded, it should shut a lot of critics up (it wouldn't but it should).

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I still think it's Hugh Freeze or bust quite frankly. The quicker its solved the faster we can close on some recruits.

If Gus whiffs on Freeze and names himself OC, I don't see any reason not to just fire him now unless anyone thinks there's a top-notch coach that will be more available next year than at the moment...  

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The only argument I've made to that point is that Gus' piss poor offense has lead to the decline of the defense 

Bad offense doesn’t lead to bad defensive fundamentals. Our defense has been terrible all year. 

He is 1-4 in bowl games.

So bowl games matter again I assume. 

Let's look at pure facts:

52-27 at Auburn over 6 seasons at Auburn. That's an average of 8.7 wins (rounding up) and 4.5 losses per season.

2/6 of the time he's won the division or 1/3 of the time.

3 times he had a team ranked in the top 10 with preseason polls. 3 times he has failed to finish in the top 20 after being ranked in the top 10 of the preseason polls.

He is 1-4 in bowl games.

He's had 1 consensus All-American (Reese Dismukes) who also won the Rimington. He's had no other individual awards won by players. 

2013 he won a bunch of "coach of the year" awards but has won no such awards since.

These are pure facts. I’m surprised you didn’t cut off the list to the last four years like McGussless did though. Gotta make that winning percentage even worse!!

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If Gus whiffs on Freeze and names himself OC, I don't see any reason not to just fire him now unless anyone thinks there's a top-notch coach that will be more available next year than at the moment...  

I don't disagree but the firing boat has already sailed. If he whiffs I think he has to take it on himself and put up or shut up. Imagine he takes over as OC and we get back to a top-20 offense with Steele maintaining a top-20 defense. Haters, including myself, would be trying really hard to discredit him at that point. Granted it's a huge "if" but with how much he believes in himself it shouldn't be a problem...

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Gruden?

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don’t think anyone is against honest assessment. It’s just been the dominating theme for months. I think everyone gets the point. The horse is dead. Gus sucks to many. We get it. However no one wanted to cut the 32 million dollar check to send him packing.  So guess what...he gonna be here at least through the start of 2019, and there are some like myself who have some optimism the ship can be righted. We have seen how productive this team has been when all the pieces are in place. Maybe the team grows up, maybe Gus grows up. If he gets out of his way and improves that’s great, if he does not adapt even knowing his job is on the line, then he is out, and I will be there to help him pack. Then we will have a new coach and staff to criticize.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Bad offense doesn’t lead to bad defensive fundamentals. Our defense has been terrible all year. 

Not much room for discussion here. The defense has been serviceable at worst. It's not uncommon for defenses to slack off or play with less intensity when the offense continues to stall on the field. Our defense definitely isn't perfect, for the love of God we needed a pass rusher on the DL, but I wouldn't label it as a major factor to our struggles. It does seem, and no telling if it's causation or correlation, like once Steele got his extension things seemed to spiral.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So bowl game matters again I assume. 

Have I ever argued that they don't? One was a National Championship that we win if we don't go conservative (and some other bs that was out of our control). The other was a NY6 Bowl which is as good as you can get without being in the playoffs. To be fair the Oklahoma game was ridiculous; they had no business pairing such mismatched teams together. Can't remember what the other bowl loss was. The one win came against Memphis right?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

These are pure facts. I’m surprised you didn’t cut off the list to the last four years like McGussless did though. Gotta make that winning percentage even worse!!

Even with the pure facts I think it's easy to contend he isn't a $7 million coach.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure we all want and expect better.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gruden?

Gruden would have been last year or year before.  I was thinking Harbaugh with UM being so impatient, but he'll beat tOSU next season with Meyer gone.  

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Have I ever argued that they don't? 

No. This is a year long discussion in tbe works. Half tongue in cheek if anything. 

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not much room for discussion here. The defense has been serviceable at worst.

Serviceable against what? Tennessee? What was their excuse that game? A Mississippi State one dimensional running game? Excuses? 

Against Georgia, our defense didn’t even try to give our offense a chance. 

Against Bama, our defense mailed it in along with the whole team. 

Sure our defense did decent against a Washington offense that is statistically almost as bad as Gus’s, or Arkansas and Ole Miss but show me how they were serviceable. 

Bring in Tee Marin to help with QBs and recruiting and let Gus run the show. If he fails it’s nobody’s fault but his.

5 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Bring in Tee Marin to help with QBs and recruiting and let Gus run the show. If he fails it’s nobody’s fault but his.

I'm good with this.  CGM take full control of the wheel, show your stuff, shut up the back 'n forth about "meddling" with the offense once and for all.  Show us what you got Gus - these are your players, your coaches, your team.  Just Do It!

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Even with the pure facts I think it's easy to contend he isn't a $7 million coach.

The "pure facts" just make it worse. When your coach does well his first season and then embarks on a steady 5-year downward trend with only one November reprieve from the mediocrity, it only further highlights what a poor job he's doing. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I'm good with this.  CGM take full control of the wheel, show your stuff, shut up the back 'n forth about "meddling" with the offense once and for all.  Show us what you got Gus - these are your players, your coaches, your team.  Just Do It!

I believe giving Gus another year is what Harbert “negotiated” during Leath’s time in DC (although nothing has been stated publicly).  The caveat from the other BOT members and PTB, that were not on the gusbus, that you will get no support from us while you do this.  Again, this is pure speculation. It will be interesting to see how the OC position is filled. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The "pure facts" just make it worse. When your coach does well his first season and then embarks on a steady 5-year downward trend with only one November reprieve from the mediocrity, it only further highlights what a poor job he's doing. 

Agreed, without the prayer in Jordan-Hare and the Kick-6 we might already be rid of him. Even including it though it's been 5+ years and it's time to move on from the Guster.

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not much room for discussion here. The defense has been serviceable at worst. It's not uncommon for defenses to slack off or play with less intensity when the offense continues to stall on the field. Our defense definitely isn't perfect, for the love of God we needed a pass rusher on the DL, but I wouldn't label it as a major factor to our struggles. It does seem, and no telling if it's causation or correlation, like once Steele got his extension things seemed to spiral.

16, 9, 22, 3, 13, 23. Those were the points given up in our first 6 games. That's winning football from your defense. That last game, when we gave up 23 points to MSU, was the straw that broke the camel's back. Our offense held the ball for less than 19 minutes in that game. What a pile of trash. I don't blame the defense for "quitting" after that. (They still only gave up 30 or more twice. And the 2nd time was after watching their coach intentionally run out 2 1/2 minutes of game clock at the end of the first half when they were still very much in it and the offense was having one of their better performances of the season. I try very hard to no longer use the word that I once would have to describe a man who would do that.)

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The "pure facts" just make it worse.

Gus’s tenure as a whole has been underwhelming. Which makes it even more ridiculous that people try to minimize or cut away tbe successes that he’s had. 

Silly me, I thought this was about a new OC.  Can someone just make a topic for the gloom and doom we hate Gus posters to use so the rest of us could talk football.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

16, 9, 22, 3, 13, 23. Those were the points given up in our first 6 games.

1.Washington: Washington had a statistically horrible offense and still nearly rallied. 

2. Alabama State:...lol

3. LSU:  Our offense gave our defense a ten point fourth quarter lead and the defense blew it.

4. Arkansas : More than a Gus level bad offense.

5 Southern Miss: Probably the second strongest offense within this stretch if that says anything...

6: Mississippi State was a one dimensional offense that couldn’t score more than 7 points against 4 SEC teams. 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought maybe you could come up with some of the whiners that mentioned this earlier in the season. Or maybe even when some few of us were recommending that Gus take over the play calling back in the summer. Johnny-come-latelys is what you've got there. No original thought, just parroting what they heard when faced with desperation after it finally sunk in that Gus would be coaching Auburn next season. I do think they have finally come around to correct thinking. Gus should be doing what numerous other head coaches are doing and calling his own plays.

Lol you asked for a link and I provided one with multiple sources, something you rarely do. 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

1.Washington: Washington had a statistically horrible offense and still nearly rallied. 

2. Alabama State:...lol

3. LSU:  Our offense gave our defense a ten point fourth quarter lead and the defense blew it.

4. Arkansas : More than a Gus level bad offense.

5 Southern Miss: Probably the second strongest offense within this stretch if that says anything...

6: Mississippi State was a one dimensional offense that couldn’t score more than 7 points against 4 SEC teams. 

Against LSU, it was 21-13 to start the 4th, so it was still a one possession game at that point. The long play to tie it up was close, if DD is just a hair back in his zone, that’s a pick or PBU. Penalties are what really killed us in that game on D. We kept 2 of their 3 second half scoring drives alive with penalties on 3rd down. Two INT’s by JS, one leading to their first TD, didn’t help either.

2 hours ago, ALTiger said:

Could Freeze be in play at Bammer?  Since they courted him and got turned down, but now he is available.  With Tua being his QB....ughhh...say it aint so!

Why the hell isn't he in play for Auburn?

Archived