Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Against LSU, it was 21-13 to start the 4th, so it was still a one possession game at that point. 

Forgot that, whatever it was, we had a multiple possession lead late into the third and an eight point lead into the fourth slip. Not to mention the LSU offense probably converted every third  and long during the last drive while we offered zero semblance of pass rush.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

We kept 2 of their 3 second half scoring drives alive with penalties on 3rd down.

Yes. They were clear penalties although the other team’s muggings never got called.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Forgot that, whatever it was, we had a multiple possession lead late into the third and an eight point lead into the fourth slip. Not to mention the LSU offense probably converted every third  and long during the last drive while we offered zero semblance of pass rush.

Yes. They were clear penalties although the other team’s muggings never got called.

I just don’t agree with “the D blew it” comment. 

3rd Quarter we take the lead 21-10 

Def: Responds with a 3 and out, momentum on our side

Off: 3 and out, only gaining 1 yard

Def: Holds them to a FG

Off: JS INT

Def: 3 and out

Off: Missed FG

Def: 3 and out

Off: 5 plays, 17 yards punt

Def: Gives up the long TD the next play.

The 2nd Half: LSU has 7 drives, AU held them to no points on 4 of them, including 3, 3 and outs. AU had 6 drives and were held to no points on 5 of them.

13 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

The 2nd Half: LSU has 7 drives, AU held them to no points on 4 of them, including 3, 3 and outs. AU had 6 drives and were held to no points on 5 of them.

The D played well enough to not blow it until when it counted, and then they blew it. I was at the game. As soon as we gave up the long TD, I knew it was game over. That silly play is what their doctor ordered as they couldn’t move the ball. We blew way too many third and long opportunities as well. They went 14 plays for 52 yards for the game winner. Provide some pass rush and we win that game. They had starting linemen out of the game!

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The D played well enough to not blow it until when it counted, and then they blew it. I was at the game. As soon as we gave up the long TD, I knew it was game over. That silly play is what their doctor ordered as they couldn’t move the ball. We blew way too many third and long opportunities as well. Just provide some pass rush. They had starting linemen out of the game.

The offense was in LSU territory twice and couldn’t score, throwing a pick, and then the missed FG. With still having a lead on the last drive, they went 3 and out when it mattered. In the 4th, they missed a FG, went 5 plays 17 yards, and a 3 and out. I just don’t put as much blame on the D as some, but that’s my opinion.

41 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

The offense was in LSU territory twice and couldn’t score, throwing a pick, and then the missed FG. With still having a lead on the last drive, they went 3 and out when it mattered. In the 4th, they missed a FG, went 5 plays 17 yards, and a 3 and out. I just don’t put as much blame on the D as some, but that’s my opinion.

Obviously if the offense put more points on the scoreboard, that LSU offense wouldn’t have the luxury of milking the clock and scoring at the end. I was in tbe visitor section and when we went up to 21, LSU went silent. A score would’ve put a nail in tbe coffin. At the same time we have to be able to judge the defense independently from the offense. Our defense knew what they had in front of them and failed to accomplish the task. 14 plays and 52 yards later it’s ball game.  We could excuse our defense because our offense only scored one time in tbe second half, but where does that leave us with the aTm game? Then, the offense and defense both played like crap early and often until the defense finally arose to the challenge. I submit that one drive against Washington and aTm in tbe fourth, is tbe only time our defense ever rose to tbe challenge. That separates the great defenses from the not so great, but uber talented defenses. Mississippi State has the number one scoring defense in the nation and, again, their offense scored less than 7 points in four different SEC games.

47 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Scoring points only matters when folks want to beat their chests over lopsided wins against weak SEC opponents. 

Well they just released assistant coaches salaries after everyone got their yearly raise, to include Chip before he walked. Since Gus can only get a new OC at the same price, I hope we can get one for $1.1 million!

how does NSD play into us naming an OC?

Even if Gus chooses to just run the O and hire a QB coach  (which seems to be the smart, streamlined approach to getting the HUNH back), how does NSD factor into a public announcement regarding OC?

Just now, Beaker said:

how does NSD play into us naming an OC?

Even if Gus chooses to just run the O and hire a QB coach  (which seems to be the smart, streamlined approach to getting the HUNH back), how does NSD factor into a public announcement regarding OC?

Are you asking why it matters, or how it affects our actual search/hire process?

If the former, I would argue that recruits want to know who they're going to be playing for. Most of them will stick regardless, but there might be one or two who don't want to go somewhere with that level of uncertainty. 

If the latter, I don't know exactly. I'm with those who have said that it would be ideal to have a guy in place in time for faxes, but not at the expense of making the best decision. 

I dunno. It might not matter much at all. Pretty sure "we" have known for quite some time that we'd be in this situation. 

2 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well they just released assistant coaches salaries after everyone got their yearly raise, to include Chip before he walked. Since Gus can only get a new OC at the same price, I hope we can get one for $1.1 million!

Or he can be the OC and spend some of that on a QB coach. 

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Obviously if the offense put more points on the scoreboard, that LSU offense wouldn’t have the luxury of milking the clock and scoring at the end. I was in tbe visitor section and when we went up 21, LSU went silent. A score would’ve put a nail in tbe coffin. At the same time we have to be able to judge the defense independently from the offense. Our defense knew what they had in front of them and failed to accomplish the task. 14 plays and 52 yards later it’s ball game.  We could excuse our defense because our offense only scored one time in tbe second half, but where does that leave us with the aTm game? Then, the offense and defense both played like crap early and often until the defense finally arose to the challenge. I submit that one drive against Washington and aTm in tbe fourth, is tbe only time our defense ever rose to tbe challenge. That separates the great defenses from the not so great, but uber talented defenses. Mississippi State has the number one scoring defense in the nation and, again, their offense scored less than 7 points in four different SEC games.

And they finished 8-4, which should have been us, without the UT debacle. Like us, had they had an offense that pulled their weight, we’re talking a 9-10 win season.

As a group, The D did not have the gap intergrity they had last year, they didn’t have a  pass rusher like Holland on the edge, and that hurt them. However, I never felt like the D was going to lose us games like I did with the O, and I still put the majority of this season on the O’s lack of success, again, that’s my opinion, and we obviously see it differently.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Did u miss the big play TD where Davis missed the int by an inch or two. Also I think he should have went with a different coverage package instead of man coverage where the CB’s were getting worked. Dean could not stay with that guy for nothing and he needed some help. UW, UT, OM, LSU and Bama WR’s straight abused our Db’s in man coverage. IMO I think Steele was just as stubborn as Gus was this season. I have never seen more PI penalties against our defensive backs ever. As for the LSU game just one stop on their last drive and Auburn wins...

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Did u miss the big play TD where Davis missed the int by an inch or two. Also I think he should have went with a different coverage package instead of man coverage where the CB’s were getting worked. Dean could not stay with that guy for nothing and he needed some help. UW, UT, OM, LSU and Bama WR’s straight abused our Db’s in man coverage. IMO I think Steele was just as stubborn as Gus was this season. I have never seen more PI penalties against our defensive backs ever. As for the LSU game just one stop on their last drive and Auburn wins...

I mentioned that in a previous post if you look back. The AU D held them to no points on 4 of 5 drives prior to that big play, with three of those being 3 and outs. I just don’t blame the D for that as much as some.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I mentioned that in a previous post if you look back. The AU D held them to no points on 4 of 5 drives prior to that big play, with three of those being 3 and outs. I just don’t blame the D for that as much as some.

I just think he should have made some adjustments along the way this season. It was apparent we were not as good in man coverage as he may have thought we were. The LSU loss was a team loss, offense, defense and special teams. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

However, I never felt like the D was going to lose us games like I did with the O

That’s because only one side of the ball was a complete cluster***^. The extreme was our biggest liability.. That side of the ball should continue to have coaching changes. Our defense isn’t excused for their mediocrity just because our other side was more incompetent. 

With the talent that our defense fielded, we didn’t play up to par though. We were branded a championship type, Clemson or Alabama type defense in the preseason, but played mediocre (if not outright inexplicably bad) way too many times. We actually regressed and will continue the regression next year. Bank on it. 

It amazes me how this board is afraid to criticize a defense just because a separate entity played worse. Is there a rule where only one unit can be criticized at a time? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Scoring points only matters when folks want to beat their chests over lopsided wins against weak SEC opponents. 

????

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s because only one side of the ball was a complete cluster***^. The extreme was our biggest liability.. That side of the ball should continue to have coaching changes. Our defense isn’t excused for their mediocrity just because our other side was more incompetent. 

With the talent that our defense fielded, we didn’t play up to par though. We were branded a championship type, Clemson or Alabama type  defense in the preseason, but played mediocre (if not outright bad) way too many times. We actually regressed and will continue the regression next year. Bank on it. 

👍🏼

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

With the talent that our defense fielded, we didn’t play up to par though. We were branded a championship type, Clemson or Alabama type defense in the preseason, but played mediocre (if not outright inexplicably bad) way too many times. We actually regressed and will continue the regression next year. Bank on it. 

It amazes me how this board is afraid to criticize a defense just because a separate entity played worse. Is there a rule where only one unit can be criticized at a time? 

I also admitted the D’s faults from this year, they weren’t elite. People have a problem with the way people criticize the D, and the way they go about it, not that they are criticizing them. Because of our D, we were in games that we should’ve gotten blown off the field. Not moving the ball, turnovers, and not scoring points put strain on your Defense. They had their troubles this year, forsure, but we’re singing a completely different tune today if the O pulls their weight, who knows, they may have been better statiscally as a whole had the offense been able to pull their weight and sustain drives. 

5 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Bring in Tee Marin to help with QBs and recruiting and let Gus run the show. If he fails it’s nobody’s fault but his.

Might as well. Its been like Cheech Marin doing it for the last several years.

I wouldn't blame the defense if they just quit. Heck, that's "Gus's" offense did all year. They would either go 3 plays and punt or they would turn the ball over. The defense never had much time to rest. I  feel the offense quit long before the defense did.

It doesn't really matter who the next OC will be. As he's done since getting the job in 2013, Gus will again be calling the plays next season. He will have to hire a new QB coach though.

Well, somebody seems to think Gus is going to replace Chip instead of just admitting he's the Puppet-Master.

Here's an article from Opelika-Auburn News.  Seems like some familiar names from the previous search that netted CCL FWIW.

I see one's a current HS coach LOL.  MY $$'s on him 😂🤣

https://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/six-potential-auburn-offensive-coordinator-candidates/collection_e6fadc42-f8a8-11e8-a8a2-b3a038cb515d.html

Six potential Auburn offensive coordinator candidates

Justin Lee | Auburn Reporter 
Opelika-Auburn News
jlee@oanow.com
Follow on Twitter @AUBlog|@ByJustinLee

Dec 5, 2018 Updated 2 hrs ago

Auburn is searching for a new offensive coordinator for 2019.

Former Tigers OC Chip Lindsey was officially named the next offensive coordinator at Kansas on Tuesday morning. He is out after two seasons on the Plains in that same post.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is now in position to name the third offensive coordinator to coach under him during his tenure at Auburn.

Rhett Lashlee served as Auburn’s offensive coordinator from 2013-16. Lindsey joined Malzahn’s staff at Auburn in January 2017, and coached Auburn through two regular seasons before his departure Tuesday.

Malzahn, who is now finishing his seventh season as a collegiate coach and his 13th of coaching in the collegiate ranks, has rooted a wide-branching coaching tree that could lead insights to where he turns when naming his next OC.

Lashlee was coached by Malzahn in high school. Lindsey was an offensive analyst on Auburn’s staff in 2013 during Malzahn’s first season as the Tigers’ head coach.

Here is a list of potential candidates Malzahn may turn to in his search for an offensive coordinator.

Kodi Burns

Lindsey may be leaving the Plains, but Auburn does have a co-offensive coordinator.

It’s Burns.

The former Tigers quarterback and wide receiver has served on his alma mater’s coaching staff since 2016.

Burns arrived at Auburn as a quarterback during his playing days, splitting time with Chris Todd behind center in 2008, before he famously conceded the starting spot to Todd before the 2009 season, becoming a Wildcat weapon for the Tigers in Malzahn’s first season at Auburn as an offensive coordinator.

In 2010, Burns played wide receiver through Auburn’s undefeated season, catching a touchdown from Cam Newton in the Tigers’ BCS National Championship win.

Burns started his coaching career in 2012 as a graduate assistant at Arkansas State under Malzahn, after Malzahn left the Plains for Arkansas State to pursue his first head-coaching job. He was then a graduate assistant for Malzahn in his first season back at Auburn as head coach in 2013.

Burns then struck out on his own, coaching running backs at Samford in 2014 then coaching wide receivers at Middle Tennessee State. In early 2016, Burns joined Arizona State’s staff to coach running backs, but was named Auburn’s wide receivers coach a month later, after Dameyune Craig left that post to coach at LSU.

Burns has been Auburn’s co-offensive coordinator since then.

If Auburn chooses to promote from within, Burns would be the leading candidate to be Auburn’s next offensive coordinator.

Burns has never been a play-caller as a coach. But Auburn has a experienced former play-caller on staff in Malzahn.

Eliah Drinkwitz

Drinkwitz is the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at NC State. He is a member Malzahn’s coaching tree, going back to his rise through the high school coaching ranks.

Drinkwitz coached at Springdale High School in Arkansas from 2006-09, after Malzahn coached there from 2001-05. Drinkwitz then served as a quality control assistant on Auburn’s staff from 2010-11, while Malzahn was the team’s offensive coordinator.

Drinkwitz then left with Malzahn for Arkansas State in 2012, with Drinkwitz serving as Malzahn’s running backs coach in his one and only season at Arkansas State.

Drinkwitz stayed on as a co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach for Arkansas State in 2013, then left to coach tight ends at Boise State from 2014, before he was promoted to become Boise State’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2015.

He then took on the same position at NC State starting 2016.

This season, the Drinkwitz-led NC State offense is rolling up 471.3 yards per game, good for the nation’s 16th-best in that category.

Hugh Freeze

Auburn has not publicly indicated that it is interested in bringing the troubled Freeze on as part of its coaching staff.

Malzahn has not spoken about Freeze since the latter was unceremoniously dumped as Ole Miss’ head coach in the summer of 2017.

Still, Freeze was the head coach at Arkansas State in 2011, in the season before Malzahn left his post as Auburn’s offensive coordinator to become the head coach of the Red Wolves in 2012.

Freeze served as the head coach at Ole Miss from 2012-16. He was asked to resign from his post there in July 2017 amid controversy.

Ole Miss leadership said then that the school had discovered a pattern of behavior from Freeze that was inconsistent with the school’s values, while reports circulated that the pattern included phone calls made by the coach to a number associated with a female escort service.

During Freeze’s time at Ole Miss, the Rebels were charged by the NCAA with numerous recruiting violations. Ole Miss self-imposed football scholarship reduction penalties in 2016, then self-imposed a one-year bowl ban in 2017, before the NCAA added more scholarship reductions and additional bowl ban in December 2017, while hitting Freeze with a suspension on the charge of failing to monitor his staff at Ole Miss.

Freeze, though, stands with Malzahn as the only two head coaches to beat Alabama and its head coach Nick Saban during the regular season in the last six years.

Alabama is 68-4 in regular-season games since the start of the 2013 season. Two of those losses came to Malzahn’s Auburn, in 2013 and 2017. The other two came to Freeze’s Ole Miss, in 2014 and 2015.

Mike Yurcich

Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich was considered for Auburn’s open offensive coordinator position the last time around, before Malzahn hired Lindsey.

Yurcich interviewed for the position in January 2017 before he told GoPokes.com that month that he was pulling his name from consideration for the Tigers’ job.

Yurcich has been the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State since 2013. His coaching career hasn’t brought his path across Malzahn’s, but he was interviewed as Malzahn sought an offensive coordinator the last time around.

Bobby Bentley

Bentley was an offensive analyst at Auburn under Malzahn in 2014-15, while his son was a star at quarterback at nearby Opelika High School.

Bentley has served as the running backs coach at South Carolina under Will Muschamp since 2016.

In the 1990’s and early 2000’s, Bentley was part of a high school football dynasty at Byrnes High School in Duncan, S.C. He was the head coach at Byrnes from 1995-2006. He was also a head coach at Presbyterian College from 2007-08.

His son, Jake Bentley, has been a prolific player for South Carolina. He is a junior for the Gamecocks.

Josh Floyd

The head coach of one of Alabama’s top high school teams played for Malzahn at Shiloh Christian in high school in Arkansas.

Floyd led Hewitt-Trussville to the Class 7A state quarterfinals this year. Hewitt-Trussville finished the regular season as the No. 6 team in Class 7A, as ranked by the Alabama Sports Writers Association.

Hewitt-Trussville beat Hoover on Sept. 14 this year.

The team lost in the state quarterfinals to Thompson, which has made it to Wednesday’s state championship game against Central-Phenix City.

Floyd played quarterback for Malzahn at Shiloh Christian from 1996-98. Later in the 2000’s he coached at Shiloh Christian for 10 years, winning four state championships in Arkansas.

Floyd became Hewitt-Trussville’s head coach in 2014.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

It doesn't really matter who the next OC will be. As he's done since getting the job in 2013, Gus will again be calling the plays next season. He will have to hire a new QB coach though.

I know that Patrick Nix was our qb but has he coached qb's during his career?  Would he be interested?  If he did take the job, would all the other qb's on the roster bolt due to the possibility of favoritism?  Just thinking out loud.

Archived