2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

I do wish that when these sites report on a kid from IMG Academy, they'd also include his home town and "real" high school. I suppose that would be too much work for them as they dash from name-to-name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do wish that when these sites report on a kid from IMG Academy, they'd also include his home town and "real" high school. I suppose that would be too much work for them as they dash from name-to-name.

Hey Mikey, I think you’re the big linebacker guy on here, so how many you think we should take next year? I’ll bet they cut T-will loose next year and hopefully sign 4-5 . Your thoughts?

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

That would involve admitting that IMG is a football factory and not a real school... that's not going to happen.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That would involve admitting that IMG is a football factory and not a real school... that's not going to happen.

Shhhhhh

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Hey Mikey, I think you’re the big linebacker guy on here, so how many you think we should take next year? I’ll bet they cut T-will loose next year and hopefully sign 4-5 . Your thoughts?

I'd say 3-4 would maintain, depending on how many, if any, are pirated away to play DE. This year we signed four, since Jibunor may end up at LB with Marsh, McClain and Hall. By December the staff should have a solid idea about how good this year's four can be. If all's good with them, 3 solid signees will do. If there are multiple disappointments among this year's four, or one of the older guys has some unforeseen mishap, it may take four good ones next year too. I don't see them going to five, there are needs at other positions as well. We've reached a point where three high quality LB prospects should maintain, four if we're going to be moving one a year to DE. My thoughts and $12.97 will buy you a box of .45 cal ammo at my local gun store. :) I know this because i just came from there!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd say 3-4 would maintain, depending on how many, if any, are pirated away to play DE. This year we signed four, since Jibunor may end up at LB with Marsh, McClain and Hall. By December the staff should have a solid idea about how good this year's four can be. If all's good with them, 3 solid signees will do. If there are multiple disappointments among this year's four, or one of the older guys has some unforeseen mishap, it may take four good ones next year too. I don't see them going to five, there are needs at other positions as well. We've reached a point where three high quality LB prospects should maintain, four if we're going to be moving one a year to DE. My thoughts and $12.97 will buy you a box of .45 cal ammo at my local gun store. :) I know this because i just came from there!

I really hope Jib stays at LB, especially since I could see Marsh moving around a little. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Right after I asked you this I saw a great article on SEC Country! Thanks for playing @Mikey

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 4:47 PM, Gowebb11 said:

http://www.12up.com/posts/5985394-two-other-sec-schools-interested-in-alabama-qb-target-gardner-minshew?a_aid=36534

Auburn interested in Grad Transfer QB Gardner Minshew from ECU. Interesting to say the least.

He committed to that other school across the state. At first glance, it seems unfathomable why he would go there with Tua and Jalen there, but he actually seems like a level-headed kid. Supposedly, he loved ECU and never would've transferred if it wasn't for a family issue. He said he had to be close to home (guessing someone close to him is very sick). Bama is only 2 hours from Brandon, MS, where he's from. As much as I hate Bama, I respect this kid for doing what he had to do to be close to his family. 

13 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

He committed to that other school across the state. At first glance, it seems unfathomable why he would go there with Tua and Jalen there, but he actually seems like a level-headed kid. Supposedly, he loved ECU and never would've transferred if it wasn't for a family issue. He said he had to be close to home (guessing someone close to him is very sick). Bama is only 2 hours from Brandon, MS, where he's from. As much as I hate Bama, I respect this kid for doing what he had to do to be close to his family. 

That is a decision I totally understand. Family has to come first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

It’s time for AU to start getting some commits imo.   But it never really happens until camp season.   

We’re in the middle of a huge weekend with targets. Give it time.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, lionheartkc said:

That would involve admitting that IMG is a sports factory and not a real school... that's not going to happen.

ftfy

A few links for Auburn Recruiting updates:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-owen-pappoe-decision-date

5* LB / Pappoe is deciding soon, May 5th is relatively soon I suppose, and it appears it's between us and Georgia with the Dawgs leading; "“That top three is gone. I’d say Georgia and Auburn are my top two. … Right now Georgia is my top school. I said Auburn and Georgia are my top two, but I would say Georgia is my No. 1 right now. They really do have a good chance of landing me,” Pappoe said.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-cornerback-top-5-bush

5* CB / Bush has us in his top 5 but seems to be an LSU lean currently

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/college/auburn-football-makes-top-for-georgia-ath-named-choice-for-alabama/USnc1sg7Jh8Qs50LqnjZtO/

Tra Wilkins added us to his top 10 after visiting

As usual at this point, it's way too early to tell. I can only hope the lackluster finish to this year's class and having only two commits this year doesn't mean we're slipping into the same territory as the 2008-9 classes.

Edited by AUwent

On 3/14/2018 at 2:11 PM, AUwent said:

As usual at this point, it's way too early to tell. I can only hope the lackluster finish to this year's class and having only two commits this year doesn't mean we're slipping into the same territory as the 2008-9 classes.

We’re in a better position with the 2019 kids than any other class I can think of in recent memory. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 10:09 AM, ClaytonAU said:

We’re in the middle of a huge weekend with targets. Give it time.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, The Plainsman said:

That was my way of “making things happen”.   ??

It’s time for AU to get a Commit,  part 2....  we need a pick me up! 

Nobody's a bigger fan of JB than me but IMHO it would be ideal if Cristobal crashed & burned at Oregon this season then came to AU as our next OL coach & recruiter. That would be excellent on so many levels - including the stick it would be in Bama's eye.

Top-100 DE puts Auburn at No. 1 after visit

Jaren Handy, a former LSU commit, doesn’t plan on rushing into his next commitment.

The 4-star defensive end from New Augusta, Miss., committed to LSU on March 3 and de-committed two weeks later. Handy felt he’d made an abrupt, on-the-spot decision and wanted to collect his thoughts before making a final choice. The nation’s 96th overall prospect now plans to wait it out through the entirety of the process, ensuring he makes a well-informed pick.

“National Signing Day,” Handy told SEC Country. “No need to rush.”

That won’t stop Handy from being open about where his recruitment stands.

Despite the LSU de-commitment, those Tigers remain among the top few schools. The same can be said for Ole Miss, the only one of the two in-state schools making a serious push right now.

Following his decision to back off the LSU pledge, Auburn was one of the first schools to connect with him about a possible visit. Handy took that trip over the weekend, his first time on the Plains.

“Auburn is No. 1 now that I visited there,” Handy said. “They passed expectations by a lot. Meeting the people and meeting some of the players, it just was more than I expected. Probably because of the coaches. That visit, just how they are. It was real cool.”

Handy spoke with Gus Malzahn, Marcus Woodson and Rodney Garner on his visit. Those are the coaches one would expect a top Mississippi defensive end to speak with during a visit. Garner is the position coach, Woodson is the area recruiter and Malzahn is generally involved with top targets. All three preached early playing time to Handy, given the potential NFL draft overhaul coming up at the position.

Handy was particularly impressed by Garner.

“Mostly, I liked Coach Garner. As a guy off the field, he’s cool and everything. But you can tell when you put them pads on, you’re going to meet a different guy,” Handy said. “I like that. No, I love that. He holds you accountable for your actions. He wants you to be the best player you’re supposed to be.”

Handy wasn’t the only top Mississippi defensive lineman on campus last weekend.

Mississippi State defensive end commit Charles Moore accompanied Handy on the trip. The two want to play together at the next level. Handy made that clear during his conversation with SEC Country. Moore and Handy spoke several times with each other during the visit regarding the potential of playing together on the Plains.

“We could see ourselves playing there,” Handy said.

Other schools who can get into the mix, according to Handy, are Alabama, Mississippi State, Florida and Louisville.

He plans to return to Auburn on June 6. A little tidbit of news, in itself: That will be Big Cat Weekend, so the first weekend of June will be a big one for the Tigers.

Auburn-Auburn recruiting-Derick Hall
Derick Hall is expected to visit Auburn this weekend. (Provided photo/Twitter)

Early look at expected Auburn visitors this weekend

The state of Mississippi has as much talent as it’s had in a long time. That’s been proven this spring with several Auburn visitors coming from Alabama’s neighboring state, including Handy and Moore. Auburn won’t be letting up in its push for Mississippi prospects anytime soon, either.

Two more big Mississippi targets are expected on campus this upcoming weekend:

• 4-star cornerback Brandon Turnage, Oxford, Miss.
  • 4-star outside linebacker Derick Hall, Gulfport, Miss.

Turnage last visited Auburn for its February junior day. He remains committed to Alabama, but as he said in the article linked here, Turnage expects to make a few return visits to Auburn and others. Remember, he had a strong interest in the Tigers well before his recruitment picked up, calling Auburn his “dream school” after his last visit.

As for Hall, I’m told he’s the top Buck target on Auburn’s board right now. Hall stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 215 pounds, with an athletic basketball skill set that translates well to pass rushing. He’ll be making his second visit this spring this upcoming weekend. Auburn is battling it out with Ole Miss and Mississippi State for Hall. You can read my most recent full update on Hall from last week.

Lavonta-Bentley-by-Sam-Spiegelman-3_vovc
Auburn isn’t recruiting Vonta Bentley as hard as Alabama and Clemson, he told SEC Country. (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

Auburn not recruiting Jackon-Olin (Ala.) LB hard — yet

Vonta Bentley is Jackson-Olin High School’s highly recruited representative in the 2019 class. In 2017, it was TD Moultry. In 2018, it was Coynis Miller. Clearly, Auburn has had a great deal of success attracting the top prospects from the Birmingham-area high school.

That trend may change in 2019 with Bentley — at least based on the Tigers’ recruiting efforts so far.

Bentley spoke with SEC Country after a strong Atlanta Opening performance. Currently, Clemson is his leader based on regularity of interaction, which he says is every day. Auburn sits behind both Alabama and Clemson in terms of how hard it’s pushing for Bentley.

“I can’t say right now [where they stand] because Auburn’s not showing me as much attention as Clemson. Auburn’s not on that level with Clemson,” Bentley said. “Clemson is. Alabama’s No. 2.They’re showing me a lot of attention, love, family.”

It’s not that communication is nonexistent between Auburn and Bentley. It’s just not as consistent as with Clemson and Alabama.

Bentley still thinks highly of linebackers coach Travis Williams, who has given him positive reviews in the past.

“I like Auburn Coach T-Will. He’s hyped up about me,” Bentley said. “I would say with them, it’s just attention based. They treat you like family down there, but I just need to communicate more.”

Auburn has a few other top linebacker targets its after right now. But it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Tigers crank up their efforts with Bentley because of the Jackson-Olin connection and the recruiting push from two of Auburn’s biggest recruiting rivals.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wolk answered an awesome question from apparently a pretty rad Auburn fan dripping with excellence on his recruiting mailbag.

We will be addressing our TE woes! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-2019-tight-end-targets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rumblings of a commitment coming soon, anybody got an educated guess?

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Wolk answered an awesome question from apparently a pretty rad Auburn fan dripping with excellence on his recruiting mailbag.

We will be addressing our TE woes! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-2019-tight-end-targets

SOMEONE IS NOW FAMOUS! lol