Why I chose my LGBTQ daughter over the Evangelical Church

DKW 86

On 1/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, DKW 86 said:

All used by white churches across the USA...The one on the bottom i believe came from Southern baptist literature.

Thanks DKW.  Ironically, that's very liberal of them.  When you see this, you could point out to them the following from: http://www.sbc.net/bfm2000/bfm2000.asp

VI. The Church

A New Testament church of the Lord Jesus Christ is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; observing the two ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes. In such a congregation each member is responsible and accountable to Christ as Lord. Its scriptural officers are pastors and deacons. While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.

The New Testament speaks also of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all of the redeemed of all the ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.

Ex 20

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them...

...pretty straight forward contradiction.  I think the artists (using the word lightly) here were generally going for the transfigured Christ.  Since very little of that form has been revealed to us (as it is in heaven above), its a pretty straightforward violation for the very reasons you point out.  It's not melanin levels that corrupt a man.

The underlying fallacy of the talk here is that a conservative contradiction in some way justifies a more socially liberal one.  In "conservative" churches, I suspect you are more likely to hear homosexuality named as a sin than unlawful divorce or heterosexual sin.  By the same token, liberal churches will proclaim sins of bigotry, misogyny, inequality and so forth (none of that in here).   After all, its much easier to call out the sin of those outside your congregation than those within.  The offering plate may get quite a bit lighter if you do.  IMO that's not preaching, its campaigning.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived