Why is Zion Williamson still playing?

AU64

Question raised by some folks about why he does not just call it a career at Duke and wait until the draft.  

He is already #1 and not gonna go any higher than that so what is to be gained by continuing to take the risk of playing the rest of the season?   He's probably missed more classes than he's attended if you look at the team travel schedule so not much of case to defend the "student'  part of the student-athlete description of him. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Question raised by some folks about why he does not just call it a career at Duke and wait until the draft.  

He is already #1 and not gonna go any higher than that so what is to be gained by continuing to take the risk of playing the rest of the season?   He's probably missed more classes than he's attended if you look at the team travel schedule so not much of case to defend the "student'  part of the student-athlete description of him. 

This just brings on the whole one and done discussion.

I'm against it.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

This is a weird question coming from you. We had a lengthy debate over you saying it was institutions like Duke that make their players. My argument was Zion Williamson didn’t need Duke. You argued otherwise.

Because he loves the game? He needs to stay in physical shape (see Purifoy) to maintain that #1 draft status? He’s not a slacker? This is not football or motocross or mountain climbing or Russian rulet. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This is a weird question coming from you. We had a lengthy debate over you saying it was institutions like Duke that make their players. My argument was Zion Williamson didn’t need Duke. You argued otherwise.

My comment was somewhat of a rhetorical question...

BUT...I was partly wrong about who needed who.   BUT also, t he's been there long enough to get about all the personal benefit from playing with Duke that he's gonna get.   

He may or may not win a national championship but as has been discussed for quite a while, the risk of injury is there and there is no real personal benefit to him in terms of draft status by staying.   The season and tournament is over In April or whatever and his freshman year is done by early May.  After that don't you think he is done with Duke.? 

Archived