Men vs. South Carolina tournament game thread

Randman5000

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't ever understand what not just you but people point out shooting good from the other team as if that's not on us. In the beginning we got calls too, we had Silva in foul trouble early got a couple of moving screens...  and the calls weren't even up when we pulled away they were in our favor....but we earned those calls. We made the refs had to call calls. Just like Silva did early. Of course there were some blown calls but there was never a point in the game from either team where anybody could say no matter what we try they call it. The refs were very consistent as far as what type of game they were calling. They pretty much let them playbut wouldn't let you use leverage on your extending arm

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't ever understand what not just you but people point out shooting good from the other team as if that's not on us. In the beginning we got calls too, we had Silva in foul trouble early got a couple of moving screens...  and the calls weren't even up when we pulled away they were in our favor....but we earned those calls. We made the refs had to call calls. Just like Silva did early. Of course there were some blown calls but there was never a point in the game from either team where anybody could say no matter what we try they call it. The refs were very consistent as far as what type of game they were calling. They pretty much let them playbut wouldn't let you use leverage on your extending arm

It wasn’t the fouls so much as the missed balls out on USC and the goal tend. These add up and kept USC in it. We can agree to disagree here. Yes, I expect too much from refs, and I do get overly frustrated when they have a run of bad calls. 

I pointed out shooting because USC wasn’t getting super easy looks. They are middle of the pack for the season (36%) and we’re 50% for most of the game. 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Whew!

I think this game was tougher to listen to than watch.

Yeah, I had no way to watch today, and it was difficult to listen on radio.  I shut it off and tuned in from time to time.

They out rebounded us by 7 and we still won by 9!!! WAR DAMN!

The best thing about this game is our guards seem to feel comfortable shooting in this gym. We need them tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They out rebounded us by 7 and we still won by 9!!! WAR DAMN!

Turnovers did it again. Turned them over 18 times. 

Judging by the minites he gave harper and brown, he isn’t resting guys. Playing to win this thing. 

😂😂😂

This means he will not have to take the stand right? THIS IS GREAT news for AU and Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce. 

Todays win was Bruce's 5th SEC Tourney win at AU!!!! WAR DAMN!!! He is 2 away from tying Cliff for 2nd most in SEC Tourney wins all time at AU. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We never had Silva in foul trouble. He didn’t pick up his second foul until mid-way through the second half. 

Just now, BigSammyK said:

We never had Silva in foul trouble. He didn’t pick up his second foul until mid-way through the second half. 

I don't think so. He had 4 but even if that is so my opinion doesn't change and I know they took him out right after Harper drew a foul on him early in the first half for whatever reason

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think so. He had 4 but even if that is so my opinion doesn't change and I know they took him out right after Harper drew a foul on him early in the first half for whatever reason

Respectfully, you’re wrong. 

His first foul was with 10:24 remaining in the first half and his second foul with 10:26 left in the second half. The only times he came out to give him rest. The announcers even made a point of saying that after committing only one foul in the first half he’d put himself in position to be in the game for the long haul. 

2 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Respectfully, you’re wrong. 

His first foul was with 10:24 remaining in the first half and his second foul with 10:26 left in the second half. The only times he came out to give him rest. The announcers even made a point of saying that after committing only one foul in the first half he’d put himself in position to be in the game for the long haul. 

I'm wrong in what. He did have 4 fouls and he did come out the game when Harper jumped into his chest. But like I said whether he did or didn't everything I said is still the same

Just now, cole256 said:

I'm wrong in what. He did have 4 fouls and he did come out the game when Harper jumped into his chest. But like I said whether he did or didn't everything I said is still the same

You are wrong in that you said Silva was in foul trouble, that’s all. He wasn’t fouling so that wasn’t the issue, the issue was them calling AU for stuff every time he drove into them. I think Martin took him out because as we saw in the second half, when Silva starts to get called for stuff, he can string fouls together quickly and Martin was likely trying to prevent that early. 

4 minutes ago, jared52 said:

You are wrong in that you said Silva was in foul trouble, that’s all. He wasn’t fouling so that wasn’t the issue, the issue was them calling AU for stuff every time he drove into them. I think Martin took him out because as we saw in the second half, when Silva starts to get called for stuff, he can string fouls together quickly and Martin was likely trying to prevent that early. 

Right so after he said that the first time I said literally I don't agree that he didn't have 2 could until midway through the second BUT even if he did he came out when Harper drew that foul on him in the first for whatever reason but even if that wasn't true don't change the other things I said.

Then he came back and said I was wrong.....

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I saw a few bad calls. The worst was the goal tend on Dunbar. 

That call and the foul on Silva at the end of the game were trash I agree. They received a few trash calls too but all in all it was pretty consistent IMO of course

But lol I don't want to argue with anybody who wants to complain about refs, certainly your right to do so. If you were a south C fan right now you'd be saying how you were cheated too. Just seems to be abundant in our game threads. 

So I'm wrong Silva wasn't in foul trouble just ended with four at the end of the game it was unfair. I'm with you

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

It wasn’t the fouls so much as the missed balls out on USC and the goal tend. These add up and kept USC in it. We can agree to disagree here. Yes, I expect too much from refs, and I do get overly frustrated when they have a run of bad calls. 

I pointed out shooting because USC wasn’t getting super easy looks. They are middle of the pack for the season (36%) and we’re 50% for most of the game. 

Goal tend and foul on Silva late were horrible. Samir got away with a bunch of contact. I call that being tough and understanding what the refs are allowing personally though. My  experience playing wasn't each particular call it was being consistent on both ends. If you're calling holds I don't have any problem if it's at both ends  I don't have any problems with missed calls usually it's calling it on me then on the other end swallowing the whistle. T that's a problem

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But lol I don't want to argue with anybody who wants to complain about refs, certainly your right to do so. If you were a south C fan right now you'd be saying how you were cheated too. Just seems to be abundant in our game threads. 

So I'm wrong Silva wasn't in foul trouble just ended with four at the end of the game it was unfair. I'm with you

I hear you. It evened out. My point always was that if things were evened out sooner, AU would have won going away. 

Trust me, I hate getting frustrated about refs, and for most of the year I haven’t been. This one was frustrating from that point but you are right in that there are many other narratives from this game to discuss besides refs. I’m sorry I made it about that.

23 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I thought Martin rested Silva too much. I was happy he did. 

You remember Silva getting two fouls last 5 minutes of the game?

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

I hear you. It evened out. My point always was that if things were evened out sooner, AU would have won going away. 

Trust me, I hate getting frustrated about refs, and for most of the year I haven’t been. This one was frustrating from that point but you are right in that there are many other narratives from this game to discuss besides refs. I’m sorry I made it about that.

You don't have to apologize to me bro, we both know how flawed I am when I get frustrated. I get it we all have our little peeves. My cousin that plays for Tennessee.....we's punish him on the court when he was little if he cried about a foul. Now he rarely says anything to refs if you ever see him play watch that and it'll make you laugh that I told you this. 

But yeah I understand when you put it that way. We all have our little unique buttons to push......hell every time I see the notification Mikey replied to me drives me crazy

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Turnovers did it again. Turned them over 18 times. 

Judging by the minites he gave harper and brown, he isn’t resting guys. Playing to win this thing. 

This is why I'd say I'm only worried about teams with good guards. Pressure don't bother them and they dictate pace. I didn't worry about south C guard play coming in. 

It felt like Brown rested more than he actually did to me. He was sitting when Harper had his take over spurt. I think that's what we should do every game so Harper will zone in. Except end of game situations of course

Archived