2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Sounds like our boy Corey Evans is still holding firm on Green to Memphis. Does think we have a better chance with Brown though. I guess we’ll know in a week or so.

“The next three weeks will determine next season’s outlook for Auburn and Memphis. Rivals analyst Corey Evans explores their boom-or-bust approach, previews a handful of looming commitments and explores the various avenues that Gabe Wiznitzer could take with his basketball future.

Months, check that years, have gone into the recruitment of Jalen Green and Greg Brown. For all of the work that programs have invested in recruiting them, it will all either pay off with commitments in the coming days, or leave programs scrambling to recover.  Green, set to commit sometime around April 15 will pick between Auburn and Memphis. Fresno State, Oregon and USC are also options, as is the possibility of Green pursuing a professional career in the NBA's G League or overseas. Many presume that Auburn is the leader but I stand firm in my belief that Memphis is the team to beat. Green took his first official visit to the program during his junior year and his relationship with and trust in Penny Hardaway and Mike Miller may trump everything else on the table.

Could Brown join Green a week later by picking Memphis or, if I am wrong, Auburn? I wrote two weeks ago that Texas had taken the lead but there have been whispers in recent weeks that Auburn has gained ground and taken the leader spot with just two weeks until his commitment. Pairing Green and Brown at Memphis together alongside D.J. Jeffries, Boogie Ellis and Lester Quinones would erase all of the anxiety the Tigers' fanbase had come to know throughout the winter. They both could also decline Hardaway’s pitch and join Sharife Cooper at Auburn, giving Bruce Pearl a national contender. Then again, they could go their separate ways with Green choosing the G League, Brown staying home at Texas, and leaving both sets of Tigers sorting things out with limited options available this spring.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-boom-or-bust-commits-on-deck-gabe-wiznitzer

Edited by AuburnArch13

30 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Sounds like our boy Corey Evans is still holding firm on Green to Memphis. Does think we have a better chance with Brown though. I guess we’ll know in a week or so.

“The next three weeks will determine next season’s outlook for Auburn and Memphis. Rivals analyst Corey Evans explores their boom-or-bust approach, previews a handful of looming commitments and explores the various avenues that Gabe Wiznitzer could take with his basketball future.

Months, check that years, have gone into the recruitment of Jalen Green and Greg Brown. For all of the work that programs have invested in recruiting them, it will all either pay off with commitments in the coming days, or leave programs scrambling to recover.  Green, set to commit sometime around April 15 will pick between Auburn and Memphis. Fresno State, Oregon and USC are also options, as is the possibility of Green pursuing a professional career in the NBA's G League or overseas. Many presume that Auburn is the leader but I stand firm in my belief that Memphis is the team to beat. Green took his first official visit to the program during his junior year and his relationship with and trust in Penny Hardaway and Mike Miller may trump everything else on the table.

Could Brown join Green a week later by picking Memphis or, if I am wrong, Auburn? I wrote two weeks ago that Texas had taken the lead but there have been whispers in recent weeks that Auburn has gained ground and taken the leader spot with just two weeks until his commitment. Pairing Green and Brown at Memphis together alongside D.J. Jeffries, Boogie Ellis and Lester Quinones would erase all of the anxiety the Tigers' fanbase had come to know throughout the winter. They both could also decline Hardaway’s pitch and join Sharife Cooper at Auburn, giving Bruce Pearl a national contender. Then again, they could go their separate ways with Green choosing the G League, Brown staying home at Texas, and leaving both sets of Tigers sorting things out with limited options available this spring.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-boom-or-bust-commits-on-deck-gabe-wiznitzer

Having a hard time trusting much of what that guy says right now, but I guess he could be right and everyone else wrong. IDK, just have a feeling he's being stubborn about the whole Green thing and putting more stock into the Penny/Miller relationship than he should. 

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Having a hard time trusting much of what that guy says right now, but I guess he could be right and everyone else wrong. IDK, just have a feeling he's being stubborn about the whole Green thing and putting more stock into the Penny/Miller relationship than he should. 

I'm pretty sure he's standing firm on his prediction because he's hoping that he'll be right and because if he were to waver now, he wouldn't be able to say "I told you so" very strongly if Green does pick Memphis. I'm sure the orange and blue tint in my glasses shades this, but I really think Green is going to pick Auburn. With Brown, I'm just not sure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

he wouldn't be able to say "I told you so"

I haven’t seen it be Corey’s Style to do that.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I don't keep up with him, but I meant it more in that if he's right, it endears him more to his subscribers than it would for him to back off the squarely with Memphis pick that he has now and then Green go elsewhere. But again, I'm talking more about human nature than this guy in particular. The only reporters I really pay attention to at all are the Auburn ones.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yo E, how realiable is 07 on the bunker? He said we have put ourselves in great position for both guys. He says bball guys are the biggest shock the world guys but we are *knock on wood while sweating profusely!!!! Lol* looking good for both right now.

He says dad is on our side and in our corner when it comes to Brown.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yo E, how realiable is 07 on the bunker?

Historically strong.

@GwillMac6 Thanks for the heads up! Do you have Bunker access now or did someone post it on the free AU board?

• Love 1

Hoke is close to Hooks....

Screenshot_20200409-124233.png

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Hoke is pretty plugged in with this kind of stuff. Oh for a Green/Brown finish...

Absolutely!!! He still has independent sources of his own away from hooks from his time covering AU crutin.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hoke is close to Hooks....

Screenshot_20200409-124233.png

Oh oh. Not sure that is enough 'real' proof for me if he is close to Hooks and 'possibly' only using him as his go to source. 

Wait... just saw Gwill post. So 07 does have other independent sources?

What do you guys think in your gut of this? 

Edited by steeleagle

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Oh oh. Not sure that is enough 'real' proof for me if he is close to Hooks and 'possibly' only using him as his go to source. 

Hoke has more than just hooks is what we are saying. Hooks hadn't felt good about JG for a little while then his tune changed on a dime last week. E is more familiar with 07 from the bunker then I am. Everyone says he has a proven track record though.

My gut says if we get JG then the wheels are set in motion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Hoke used to write for 247 so he's got contacts.

I'm no insider, but my gut says we only get one of Green/Brown. I don't think we come up empty-handed, but I definitely hope we get em both!

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Hoke used to write for 247 so he's got contacts.

I'm no insider, but my gut says we only get one of Green/Brown. I don't think we come up empty-handed, but I definitely hope we get em both!

i agree. Most likely 1 not both. 

Who is your 1a/1b choice based on our need? 

I think we need Green more and what he can bring from the 2 spot than what Brown will bring to the 4 spot, since we do have J Williams.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

i agree. Most likely 1 not both. 

Who is your 1a/1b choice based on our need? 

I think we need Green more and what he can bring from the 2 spot than what Brown will bring to the 4 spot, since we do have J Williams.

I would tend to agree that we need a guard that can create and score from the 2 spot. I think Cambridge can play the 2 very well, but we do need that Samir/Bryce ability to create and score off the bounce sometimes. Cooper will be very good at that, and Brown will be exceptional from the 3 spot like that. Brown would also give us a big guy to help us on the boards. There's advantages to both. I've held to the opinion of pulling in Green and a grad-transfer big man sets us up for a run next season. I think Brown does the same, but we'll be more of a drive and rebound team with him. Green gives us the ability to drive, kick, and create. 

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Considering he sang that after thinking he had his prized draft prospect back in the fold, only to have that prized draft product to sign with his rival, I'm not sure this is the best thing to put out in the universe regarding Brown...:poke:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Considering he sang that after thinking he had his prized draft prospect back in the fold, only to have that prized draft product to sign with his rival, I'm not sure this is the best thing to put out in the universe regarding Brown...:poke:

Only did it because it is a BANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRR of a song and a great movie!!!!! But it was about PRO SPORTS!!!!!! lol. I see your concern though! lmao.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

rewrew.gif

How about this starting lineup:

PG-Cooper

SG-Green

SF-Kuminga

PF1-Brown

PF2-Stretch/Williams

A man can dream.

Edited by War to the Eagle
Left something out.

7 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

...or this:

PG-Cooper

SG-Green

SF-Kuminga

PF-Brown

C-Sanogo

That's Fab 5 territory right there.

Yeah, I was gonna ask about historical context for a class and lineup like that. Looking at this list, I'm curious where that would stack up against the best classes of the last 10 years. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/7/31/20699622/college-basketball-recruiting-rankings-decade-duke-kentucky-virginia

Edited by McLoofus

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I was gonna ask about historical context for a class and lineup like that. Looking at this list, I'm curious where that would stack up against the best classes of the last 10 years. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/7/31/20699622/college-basketball-recruiting-rankings-decade-duke-kentucky-virginia

This is the best class ever in modern basketball recruiting since the star era began. This class will not ever be topped imo. They had 4 of the top 15 players. They had the top 2 players in the country in RJ and Cam Reddish. When Zion ranking wise is your THIRD most highly rated in your class?!?! Yah you got a absolutely STACKED class. 

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits/

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Only did it because it is a BANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRR of a song and a great movie!!!!! But it was about PRO SPORTS!!!!!! lol. I see your concern though! lmao.

No doubt that it's a great song and a great movie. And, the positive is that even if Brown DOES forgo us, Jerry was able to do pretty well with his one remaining client, so that bodes well for how we might do with someone else starting where Brown would have.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is the best class ever in modern basketball recruiting since the star era began. This class will not ever be topped imo. They had 4 of the top 15 players. They had the top 2 players in the country in RJ and Cam Reddish. When Zion ranking wise is your THIRD most highly rated in your class?!?! Yah you got a absolutely STACKED class. 

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits/

Not sure when the star era began, but I just looked up the Fab 5 and found that four of them were ranked in the top 9 players in the country, and 3 of the top 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1