2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There seem to be a lot of woe is me

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not seeing this from the comments posted.

Also @AuburnNTexas you made most of this post on the same page just 20 hours ago. Not sure of the point of reposting it, especially so quickly on the same page.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

I don't think anyone is wanting to push current players out. We're just looking at the roster construction next year and what we project as needs and trying to determine who we can/will sign (and who might leave if we sign certain players). The problem some of the current roster guys could have is the amount of highly talented youth players we're bringing in to compete for or at their respective positions. Jamal Johnson is a perfect example. He will be a redshirt Junior next year, and we have signed one freshman SG and are HEAVILY recruiting possibly the best SG in the nation in Jalen Green. Where are JJ's minutes going to come from? Does he want to sit behind at least one freshman, possibly two? Would he want to go to a smaller school and have a chance to start there? 

Also, there are needs on the roster right now. IMO we need another PG, SG, and C. We are recruiting all three of those spots right now. We have 3 open roster spots and need at least one guy from each of those three positions. Plus, we're recruiting some elite talent at some other positions as well, which makes the numbers get a little hectic.

So, current roster guys are gonna jump ship because we are TRYING to recruit some other HS players? And we think that's a good thing, because .... well ..... MAYBE we will get some of those players (but then maybe not).

I'm not stupid, but also I'm not following the implication that current Auburn roster guys ought to jump outta there because of "maybe" recruits. And yes, some here seem to be *wanting* them to leave.

I know that there is a lot going on in in the team room as the wheels churn and yes, every year, the coaches are trying to recruit the best players they can find. It just seems a bit premature to be hoping guys will leave because maybe we can recruit some other guys who are maybe better.

Not looking to be argumentative, I just don't follow the reasoning.

@AURex Scholarships are yearly I believe and we may not renew Some of the old guys ... that’s when Some of the “backups” magically start looking for playing time elsewhere.  Most are probably on scholly through May, then renewed or not.

could be wrong about all that.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

@AURex Scholarships are yearly I believe and we may not renew Some of the old guys ... that’s when Some of the “backups” magically start looking for playing time elsewhere.  Most are probably on scholly through May, then renewed or not.

could be wrong about all that.

I don’t think it’ll get to the point of a non-renewal of a scholarship. I think Bruce and company probably talks to all the players individually after the season to let them know where things are at with them and if it might be a good idea for them to look around because of depth or what not.

"We're not cutting anybody's scholarship off. What we are doing is helping them find a school where they can succeed". ~~~~Saban's response to a question about UAT not renewing football player's scholarships.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

"We're not cutting anybody's scholarship off. What we are doing is helping them find a school where they can succeed". ~~~~Saban's response to a question about UAT not renewing football player's scholarships.

Point of my post is Saban & Pearl are much different people in how they deal with others.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Point of my post is Saban & Pearl are much different people in how they deal with others.

Yet, according to your post, the final results are the same. A borderline player is "given the opportunity" to move on. Quote:

"I think Bruce and company probably talks to all the players individually after the season to let them know where things are at with them and if it might be a good idea for them to look around because of depth or what not."

It really is quite simple

All things bama = bad, scary, immoral

All things Auburn = good, righteous, wholesome 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yet, according to your post, the final results are the same. A borderline player is "given the opportunity" to move on. Quote:

"I think Bruce and company probably talks to all the players individually after the season to let them know where things are at with them and if it might be a good idea for them to look around because of depth or what not."

Yes And being honest and open about it like that is probably Quite different Then how Saban treated Mr. argue for the sake of arguing.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, AURex said:

So, current roster guys are gonna jump ship because we are TRYING to recruit some other HS players? And we think that's a good thing, because .... well ..... MAYBE we will get some of those players (but then maybe not).

I'm not stupid, but also I'm not following the implication that current Auburn roster guys ought to jump outta there because of "maybe" recruits. And yes, some here seem to be *wanting* them to leave.

I know that there is a lot going on in in the team room as the wheels churn and yes, every year, the coaches are trying to recruit the best players they can find. It just seems a bit premature to be hoping guys will leave because maybe we can recruit some other guys who are maybe better.

Not looking to be argumentative, I just don't follow the reasoning.

I'm not hoping anyone leaves and don't think anyone ought to leave. Don't believe I ever said that. And I don't think they should leave because of "maybe recruits." But I do think those recruits are an indication of where the coaching staff sees weakness in our roster. So if you're a returning guy and we're recruiting a 5* at your spot, you have some thinking to do. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

This is my only hope for sports info so I’m just gonna hang out here 

image.gif

Well the McDonalds game has been cancelled. So 1 less opportunity for AU to put the full court press on Jalen and Greg Brown through Coop. There is your probaly not daily sports update for the day! lol

Edited by GwillMac6

Well, there are hundreds of highlight replays, even full games, on YouTube. We can not only re-watch Auburn games, but also catch up on all those games we accidentally missed, like Boise vs Wyoming and Indiana vs Kent State and Fresno State vs Idaho Southern .... or similar.

22 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, there are hundreds of highlight replays, even full games, on YouTube. We can not only re-watch Auburn games, but also catch up on all those games we accidentally missed, like Boise vs Wyoming and Indiana vs Kent State and Fresno State vs Idaho Southern .... or similar.

So other than the Auburn replays you’re just gonna sleep a lot?? 😝 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

We need more drama in b-ball recruiting (every sport) to get us through the next 2-4 months of no sports ! I’m having withdrawals more and more everyday. 
Hey, that’s giving me a idea 💡 of starting a Sports Detox Center so we can start recovering sooner. Man I’m board!

I feel sorry for folks who pretend to be too pure for the NFL. (Amateurs, indeed.) The last couple days have been a goldmine of distraction and intrigue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I feel sorry for folks who pretend to be too pure for the NFL. (Amateurs, indeed.) The last couple days have been a goldmine of distraction and intrigue. 

Huh 🤔 

Edited by toddc

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

Huh 🤔 

Free Agency & the Tom Brady saga. I'm already burned out on it. lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Free Agency & the Tom Brady saga. I'm already burned out on it. lol

My only issue is that Brady to Tampa Bay, when it comes to football actually being played, is the least interesting story out there. 

Deandre Hopkins is the juicy story on the field, and apparently off it. Billy O-B bringing that drama to Houston. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

is the least interesting story out there. 

Not from my perspective. I'm ok with Brady & Brees playing each other twice a year...as long as the Saints win of course.;D

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not from my perspective. I'm ok with Brady & Brees playing each other twice a year...as long as the Saints win of course.;D

True. From a sheer star power in the NFCS perspective, it's a big deal. 

I'd also love to see Matt Ryan beat Brady, but it would still feel like too little too late. WHY DID IT HAVE TO HAPPEN LIKE THAT OH MY GAWD I HATE YOU KYLE SHANAHAN AND DAMMIT DEVONTA FREEMAN WHY COULDN'T YOU MISS ANY BLOCKS IN THE 2013 TITLE GAME YOU SAWED OFF LITTLE JERK GOOD RIDDANCE rise up anyway, sigh, but yeah 2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting is looking great come on down Color Guard (Green and Brown? No?)

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Plus the Bucs play the Chiefs this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Plus the Bucs play the Chiefs this year

So we get Mahomes v Brady & & Mahomes v Brees in the same year.

image.gif