2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

No idea if AU would be interested just something to monitor.

I can't imagine that we wouldn't be interested, but I doubt someone with that kind of profile is going to come to the Plains to be a backup.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Did not play all year as detailed on previous pages because of some politics and bs. He is a backup plan for us who we will take if we don't get our desired choices at his position.

I can live with a 6'11 backup plan who was transferring to a Georgia powerhouse high school program. Especially if we get Green as well.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

!

kid is gud

Sorry to burst bubbles but per JLee he is not a top target now, partially because he planning to forgo college & go to a basketball factory to prep for the 2021 NBA Draft.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sorry to burst bubbles but per JLee he is not a top target now, partially because he planning to forgo college & go to a basketball factory to prep for the 2021 NBA Draft.

That’s fine, I’m just posting that the kid is good.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, gravejd said:

Yeah counting a guy out after his freshmen season is setting yourself up to look silly. Turbo may not be the one to do it to you but someone will. Remember Ronnie Brown was redshirted once upon a time. I'm sure there is a basketball example as well but ones not coming to mind atm. 

I think you are misinterpreting what I was saying....  :dunno:  I am not hating on the guy, I actually like him a lot.  This season he is out of position and hasn't caught on (struggling).  He was not supposed to be at that spot this year.  Next year with who we have coming in I am thinking of his best interest as a fan of him.  If he feels that waiting until his junior year is too long for him to showcase what he can do I would support him and understand his plight.  He may stay, but if I was guessing like I was he might be the one mystery player transferring.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I think you are misinterpreting what I was saying....  :dunno:  I am not hating on the guy, I actually like him a lot.  This season he is out of position and hasn't caught on (struggling).  He was not supposed to be at that spot this year.  Next year with who we have coming in I am thinking of his best interest as a fan of him.  If he feels that waiting until his junior year is too long for him to showcase what he can do I would support him and understand his plight.  He may stay, but if I was guessing like I was he might be the one mystery player transferring.

It was really Dual's comment about us being in trouble if we next season if we were needing Turbo to play that was the reason for my post about don't count a guy out just because of how his Freshmen season went. 

But to your point i'm assuming you are counting some signees that are not yet committed if you are saying Turbo won't have a shot to play until his junior season. Green is not in the bag yet and based on our current track record with these top of the line recruits i don't feel overly confident about us pulling him anyway. I think we have a change and that is awesome to be considered by a top 10 type player but several top guys have looked at us over the last couple seasons and went elsewhere. 

Now even if we land Green there are a couple guys on the team that i think could leave before Turbo. I don't want to throw names out right now with the season still happening But there are a couple oder guys on the team that could be looking for more opportunities elsewhere. We'll see what happens but i did not take your post earlier as hating on the kid. Just saw a couple posts that appeared to be giving up hope on Turbo being able to contribute and I think its too soon to assume that about the kid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

It was really Dual's comment about us being in trouble if we next season if we were needing Turbo to play that was the reason for my post about don't count a guy out just because of how his Freshmen season went. 

But to your point i'm assuming you are counting some signees that are not yet committed if you are saying Turbo won't have a shot to play until his junior season. Green is not in the bag yet and based on our current track record with these top of the line recruits i don't feel overly confident about us pulling him anyway. I think we have a change and that is awesome to be considered by a top 10 type player but several top guys have looked at us over the last couple seasons and went elsewhere. 

Now even if we land Green there are a couple guys on the team that i think could leave before Turbo. I don't want to throw names out right now with the season still happening But there are a couple oder guys on the team that could be looking for more opportunities elsewhere. We'll see what happens but i did not take your post earlier as hating on the kid. Just saw a couple posts that appeared to be giving up hope on Turbo being able to contribute and I think its too soon to assume that about the kid

There's only two "older" guys who will be returning next year. So, if you're talking multiple upperclassmen, the list isn't long. We have 5 seniors leaving (JVon, Samir, Danjel, Mac, Wiley) and 2 RS Soph (Jamal and Javon Franklin). The other six are Freshmen (Okoro, Flanigan, Cambridge, Stretch, Turbo, Jaylin). If we lose 8 guys off our roster after the season, Bruce will have his a super tough job next year.

Edited by boomstick

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

There's only two "older" guys who will be returning next year. So, if you're talking multiple upperclassmen, the list isn't long. We have 5 seniors leaving (JVon, Samir, Danjel, Mac, Wiley) and 2 RS Soph (Jamal and Javon Franklin). The other six are Freshmen (Okoro, Flanigan, Cambridge, Stretch, Turbo, Jaylin). If we lose 8 guys off our roster after the season, Bruce will have his a super tough job next year.

Unless Bruce can bring in some GTs or Jucos that can start or be strong role players, all of our starters and subs will be Freshman and Sophomores. ( I don't see Johnson and Franklin starters)

No way we will be consistently competitive. We could take our lumps. Some of this is thanks to Person, and inability to recruit well that one year(would be Jrs now). All I would hope for, if we can get at least 1 of the top 5*s in, is to get better towards the end of the basketball season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Unless Bruce can bring in some GTs or Jucos that can start or be strong role players, all of our starters and subs will be Freshman and Sophomores. ( I don't see Johnson and Franklin starters)

No way we will be consistently competitive. We could take our lumps. Some of this is thanks to Person, and inability to recruit well that one year(would be Jrs now). All I would hope for, if we can get at least 1 of the top 5*s in, is to get better towards the end of the basketball season.

It also effected the 2019 class and our ability to grab more top tier recruits in that cycle because those 7 months we had no contact with recruits put us behind and in catch up mode with the top guys. We only got 1 top 100 player in that class (Okoro). The highest ranked player after that was Turbo at 116.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

IF IF IF we are fortunate to get Green and HOPEFULLY other blue chip recruits to close this class (because we need def more than just him!) I think we could have a very Kentucky like season next season. Struggle in the non conference to a certain extent. Take our lumps. Have a mediocre non conference record but by the time SEC play starts we are rounding in to form and have a good SEC conference season. 

Even if CBP is able to lure one or two of those top prospects to Auburn, there will be empty spots on the roster needing to be filled of course. It will be interesting to see what potential transfers are available after the season is over.

• Like 2

There seem to be a lot of woe is me because of the Person Debacle. We may or may not be a great team next year but we will have a very solid nucleus. I think worse case is next year is the rebuilding year everybody thought this year was going to be.

We will have a very good PG in Sharife who will take time to to understand the difference between HS and College ball but will do well.

We will have Flanagan and Cambridge back with a year of experience at 2 and 3 plus Powell  with Turbo at 2 

We will have Williams and Franklin at 4 (Bruce has an Eye for talent so I expect Franklin to Contribute plus Moore 

Stretch at 5 

That gives us an 8 deep rotation. I am leaving Johnson out unless he finds his shot because of his defensive liabilities.

All of these players are long and athletic except Sharife who is not long.

If we don't get Green and one of our preferred big men assuming Cardwell is still available I would be happy with him.  With Cardwell we would go 9 deep with defense having to be our forte but I think with an improved Cambridge and Powell we would be a little more consistent with the 3. This would be a team that would compete in middle of SEC next year positioning us in a very good position for following year just needing a couple of key pieces.

Obviously with this group we have some gaps no backup PG and only one big man Stretch if we have waited to long to get Cardwell.  It means we will have to play a lot with 2 4's instead of a 5 and 4 but that might improve our offense but hurt us in defending the paint.

If we get Green we will be near top of SEC as we will have 3 shooters.   

Basically what I am saying is with Bruce coaching and the talent we have returning and that we know will be coming in we will be ok but not great. Give Bruce a summer to work with Jaylin, Cambridge, Flanagan, and Turbo and they buy into his hard defense and you will see a big jump in productivity next year similar to Brown and Harper. Everybody talks about Bruce coaching them up usually they are looking at things like scoring and rebounding but improved defensive play both one and one and as a team is key to a Bruce team.

• Like 1

I guess I'm missing something. Previous pages discussion of moving people out to make room for more new faces. Help me figure.

We are losing Doughty, Wiley, McCormick, McLemore, Purifoy, and Okoro. That's 6 roster spots. We have one of those spots taken by Cooper. Which leaves 5 roster spots open.

Yes, CBP is working his butt off recruiting top tier HS kids. But to be real, I just don't see him pulling in 5 of those super-stud kids (unless Auburn has a miraculous NCAA run and reaches the championship game). And to think pulling in 6 or 7 will be easier, or optimal?

So, help me understand why some of you seem to want to push out even more guys. As it is, CBP is facing a challenge finding 5 really good players to fill the existing roster holes.

Edited by AURex

11 minutes ago, AURex said:

I guess I'm missing something. Previous pages discussion of moving people out to make room for more new faces. Help me figure.

We are losing Doughty, Wiley, McCormick, McLemore, Purifoy, and Okoro. That's 6 roster spots. We have one of those spots taken by Cooper. Which leaves 5 roster spots open.

Yes, CBP is working his butt off recruiting top tier HS kids. But to be real, I just don't see him pulling in 5 of those super-stud kids (unless Auburn has a miraculous NCAA run and reaches the championship game). And to think pulling in 6 or 7 will be easier, or optimal?

So, help me understand why some of you seem to want to push out even more guys. As it is, CBP is facing a challenge finding 5 really good players to fill the existing roster holes.

Lol uggghhhh are you forgetting our other signees Justin Powell and Chris Moore??? Ouch!!! Cold-blooded Rex!!  Hahaha

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

And who are ppl wanting to push out besides Jamal Johnson??? I have not seen anyone else advocate for anyone else to transfer besides him. And that's only because he got exposed in sec play. He hasn't shot it well. Hell he can barely even get his three point shot off clean in SEC play much less make it. But somehow his defense has been even worse. Complete liability. He's just flat out not a sec level athlete.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol uggghhhh are you forgetting our other signees Justin Powell and Chris Moore??? Ouch!!! Cold-blooded Rex!!  Hahaha

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

Beat me to it! Top player out of Kentucky shouldn’t be forgotten. And then Moore! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AURex said:

We have one of those spots taken by Cooper. Which leaves 5 roster spots open.

GWill & Todd are all over this. @AURex There are 3 known spots left but per a pretty reliable source in BBall booster Hooks  a 4th spot is expected to come open. We have a very real shot of landing big time talent for those 4 spots:

Top 2 (3 if you count overseas) for the #1 & 5* SG in the class in Jalen Green
Top 2 for the #1 & 5* SF recruit overall in the 2021 class but expected to reclassify to 2020 in Jonathan Kuminga
Top 2 or 3 for #1 & 5* PF Greg Brown
Top 3 for high 4* C Cliff Omoruyi
A top team for high 4* F JT Thor

1 hour ago, AURex said:

why some of you seem to want to push out even more guys.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is trying to push any of our guys out. I think we are just speculating on who may leave to open up a 4th spot that Hooks is expecting to happen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sorry, yes I had forgotten  about those 3 star guys because so much chatter about the super-studs being recruited. Still, 3 current recruits, 6 roster spots. Still not seeing the rationale for wanting to drive out current guys.

I am a little disappointed you guys have not talked about me or my recruitment in basketball to come play for Auburn.  My game has been perfect.  I have even improved my ball handling skills to juke out players:

tenor.gif

I learned from the best in how to evade and dribble out of a trap coverage:

source.gif

And lastly my free throw percentage has skyrocketed.  Some even call me the next Steph Curry...

tenor (1).gif

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Sorry, yes I had forgotten  about those 3 star guys because so much chatter about the super-studs being recruited. Still, 3 current recruits, 6 roster spots. Still not seeing the rationale for wanting to drive out current guys.

I don't think anyone is wanting to push current players out. We're just looking at the roster construction next year and what we project as needs and trying to determine who we can/will sign (and who might leave if we sign certain players). The problem some of the current roster guys could have is the amount of highly talented youth players we're bringing in to compete for or at their respective positions. Jamal Johnson is a perfect example. He will be a redshirt Junior next year, and we have signed one freshman SG and are HEAVILY recruiting possibly the best SG in the nation in Jalen Green. Where are JJ's minutes going to come from? Does he want to sit behind at least one freshman, possibly two? Would he want to go to a smaller school and have a chance to start there? 

Also, there are needs on the roster right now. IMO we need another PG, SG, and C. We are recruiting all three of those spots right now. We have 3 open roster spots and need at least one guy from each of those three positions. Plus, we're recruiting some elite talent at some other positions as well, which makes the numbers get a little hectic.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I don't think anyone is wanting to push current players out. We're just looking at the roster construction next year and what we project as needs and trying to determine who we can/will sign (and who might leave if we sign certain players). The problem some of the current roster guys could have is the amount of highly talented youth players we're bringing in to compete for or at their respective positions. Jamal Johnson is a perfect example. He will be a redshirt Junior next year, and we have signed one freshman SG and are HEAVILY recruiting possibly the best SG in the nation in Jalen Green. Where are JJ's minutes going to come from? Does he want to sit behind at least one freshman, possibly two? Would he want to go to a smaller school and have a chance to start there? 

Also, there are needs on the roster right now. IMO we need another PG, SG, and C. We are recruiting all three of those spots right now. We have 3 open roster spots and need at least one guy from each of those three positions. Plus, we're recruiting some elite talent at some other positions as well, which makes the numbers get a little hectic.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

And who are ppl wanting to push out besides Jamal Johnson??? I have not seen anyone else advocate for anyone else to transfer besides him. And that's only because he got exposed in sec play. He hasn't shot it well. Hell he can barely even get his three point shot off clean in SEC play much less make it. But somehow his defense has been even worse. Complete liability. He's just flat out not a sec level athlete.

He's like TJ Lang. Would've been a big piece in a different AU hoops era but we're at the point where we can encourage those types of guys to look elsewhere for more playing time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's like TJ Lang. Would've been a big piece in a different AU hoops era but we're at the point where we can encourage those types of guys to look elsewhere for more playing time.

great comp fammy!!!! DEAD EYE SHOT RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES!!! lol.

There seem to be a lot of woe is me because of the Person Debacle. We may or may not be a great team next year but we will have a very solid nucleus. I think worse case is next year is the rebuilding year everybody thought this year was going to be.

We will have a very good PG in Sharife who will take time to to understand the difference between HS and College ball but will do well.

We will have Flanagan and Cambridge back with a year of experience at 2 and 3 plus Powell  with Turbo at 2 

We will have Williams and Franklin at 4 (Bruce has an Eye for talent so I expect Franklin to Contribute plus Moore 

Stretch at 5 

That gives us an 8 deep rotation. I am leaving Johnson out unless he finds his shot because of his defensive liabilities.

All of these players are long and athletic except Sharife who is not long.

If we don't get Green and one of our Preferred big men 

One key thing is if we get 3 more players this year because of the GAP year caused by Person we will only have one opening next year and that is Jamal Johnson.  Personally I would like to see us get a HS big man like Cardwell who will be here for 3-4 years and a GT Transfer.  So we would have two slots open next year. That is based on none of the players we sign this year are one and done.