2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Even if Tyrell (idk if he even deserves the Turbo anymore) has progression, you can't expect much more than decent/solid from him.

So, to be clear, a true freshman who was playing out of position and didn't get much playing time on a 25-6 basketball team that went coast to coast in the top 25 rankings for the first time in school history has to give up his nickname, and the best we can hope to get out of him next season is "decent"? I thought his stroke looked pretty good when he drained a 3 on the only shot I saw him take all season. Maybe he just needs to be back in his more natural 2 guard position to shine? No, much better to talk bad about his progression in less than a year of being on campus...

• Like 6

I'm curious to see who the new targets are to finish off the class. I'm thinking at this point a GT PG would be a good place to look. We need someone who can give us minutes at the PG position next season and this late in the cycle i don't expect to see any HS that want to come in a compete with Coop. And then maybe we can look at a couple HS for the 2 guard and Center we need to bring in. 

We are still trying to get Brown so that Iron is still in the Fire. With Thor we have a 4/5 type player with Stretch at 5. Jaylon Williams was coming on at end of season last year at the 4. Javon Franklin Redshirted and has some potential as a 3/4. Don't discount Devan Cambridge and Allen Flanigan as 2//3 type players., also don't discount Turbo as a solid 2. We have three other players coming in Cooper at PG, Chris Moore at 4 he is a highly ranked player and Powell at the 2. Ideally we get 1/2 type GT and if we get Brown that should do it. If we miss on Brown I think we bring the Cardwell kid in at the 5.   

If Cambridge, Flanagan, Williams and Turbo show the type of improvement that second year players seem to show under Bruce we should be ok. Franklin as a redshirt will have been in the Bruce system for a year. Biggest issue next year will be lack of experience and having enough time for team to develop together since may not get to campus until start of Fall semester as a veyy young team that will hurt us.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm curious to see who the new targets are to finish off the class. I'm thinking at this point a GT PG would be a good place to look. We need someone who can give us minutes at the PG position next season and this late in the cycle i don't expect to see any HS that want to come in a compete with Coop. And then maybe we can look at a couple HS for the 2 guard and Center we need to bring in. 

Nothing new yet. Top targets now are Greg Brown and Caredwell. If we miss on brown then there will be a new target and at that point it would likely be a combo guard from the transfer market.

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we miss on Brown I think we bring the Cardwell kid in at the 5

Supposedly Cardwell is a take now even with brown.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nothing new yet. Top targets now are Greg Brown and Caredwell. If we miss on brown then there will be a new target and at that point it would likely be a combo guard from the transfer market.

Who are the best transfers available?

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I don't know. I don't keep up with teams outside the SEC. I just wait to see who AU zeros in on. With that said 247 has a transfer portal that includes player rating out of HS FWIW. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/LongFormArticle/Graduate-transfers-basketball-recruiting-Justin-Turner-Matt-Haarms-Rapolas-Ivanauskas-Darius-Perry-145995837/#145995837_4

Auburn has offered Justin Kier from George Mason. Also looking at Minnesota transfer Payton Willis.

IMO, Kier would be the best option. Slasher/shooter that is 6'4 and has really nice driving ability. Would be a good way to at least fill in some of Samir's shoes.

Highlights: 

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

So, to be clear, a true freshman who was playing out of position and didn't get much playing time on a 25-6 basketball team that went coast to coast in the top 25 rankings for the first time in school history has to give up his nickname, and the best we can hope to get out of him next season is "decent"? I thought his stroke looked pretty good when he drained a 3 on the only shot I saw him take all season. Maybe he just needs to be back in his more natural 2 guard position to shine? No, much better to talk bad about his progression in less than a year of being on campus...

Yes, to answer the question. Yes.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yes, to answer the question. Yes.

I fully expect you to eat your crow publicly if the kid shows out next year, then.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I fully expect you to eat your crow publicly if the kid shows out next year, then.

Lol this all but guarantees Turbo will have a big year next season. Whatever @Dual-Threat Rigby says usually the opposite happens!!! Just always remember he was the one who said there was no difference in Danny etling and Joe Burrow!!!! Hahaha 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol this all but guarantees Turbo will have a big year next season. Whatever @Dual-Threat Rigby says usually the opposite happens!!! Just always remember he was the one who said there was no difference in Danny etling and Joe Burrow!!!! Hahaha 😂😂😂

For good reason. I'd have to see how Etling would do in a Brady system before being able to conclude that statement. It wouldn't be fair to decide without full information 

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'd have no problem doing so, lol. I was one of the only ones asking for him to get time after Bruce pulled the plug on him, and was one of the only ones championing the other freshmen to get time bc they'd be needed in tourney time. You can pull the tapes in reference to Jaylin and Stretch. I have no agenda against young guys getting their chance 

Cam Bryant. 2020 SG/SF. Former ETSU commit.

Friends with Sharife. This kid is ranked a 2*. I don't agree with that ranking. (Watch these highlights below).

I'm thinking we may pick him up....

HUDL HIGHLIGHTS: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8098026/5e81063d664be904a8f54424

JUNIOR SEASON:

Edited by tigerbrotha12

17 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Cam Bryant. 2020 SG/SF. Former ETSU commit.

Friends with Sharife. This kid is ranked a 2*. I don't agree with that ranking. (Watch these highlights below).

I'm thinking we may pick him up....

@tigerbrotha12 Any word of AU being interested?

I watched the Cam Bryant kid he has a really nice effortless stroke and can jump out of the gym. Last year we got an underrated Devan Cambridge this kid is same type of player.  No way should he be a 2.*.  I wish highlight films showed defense and things like boxing out when rebounding.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I wish highlight films showed defense and things like boxing out when rebounding.

That stuff doesn't catch viewers so it's unlikely to happen much.

Screenshot_20200420-023901.png

• Love 1

In most sports,  championship caliber teams need to be built around one or two stars with above average role players. Basketball is different in that one star, in the right circumstance and system, can put a team over the top like Melo did at Syracuse. However, equally unique, a basketball team full of heart, experience, and chemistry can out perform the superstar laden squads. 

As pretty cool as it would be to have a squad of one-n-dones like Duke or UK, I'd rather be built like UNC of the early 90's.  Those teams were full of 3rd and 4th year players with the sprinkling of difference makers, like Stackhouse, Carter, or Jamieson.  

It's my opinion that building the roster out of 2-4 year players is the only way to have sustained success and a sustainable culture. I love the aggressive direction we are heading with our BB recruiting, but if I were director of BB recruiting or recruiting Coordinator I wouldn't be focusing on the top 40 players... but I'd be beating down the doors of that next group. Those guys would most likely have a chip on their shoulder and be here a minimum of two years needing/wanting to prove themselves capable for the next level. Give me an angry kid that needs to prove himself against the world and I'll build you a champion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have had Green or Brown this year but, IMO, Auburn isn't a one-n-done type of school and I'm okay with that. Family is at the roots of Auburn and it's hard to become family in a year...that's just a long-term girlfriend. That said, some girlfriends you never forget. 😁

I really like this year's class. Coop and Thor are difference makers(hopefully here a couple years) and Powell and Moore seem to be those 3-4 year guys. IMO, we still need a combo/shooting guard and I'd love to find another Reddick/Korver/Chris Loften type shooter that could play 1-3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

Looks like the one & dones gonna be around a few more years. Adrian Wojnarowski said yesterday it will be at least 2025 before the NBA gets rid of it. Also it looks like the G league thing from this year may be temporary. It Looks like the NBA helped them to get some of the best prospects so that the kids could be playing basketball this year as the NBA is concerned there will not be at least a full college basketball season Coming up. They wanted to go ahead and get the best in the system so that they have a better chance of getting some games in as chances are higher G league plays games more than college basketball right now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like the one on done,s gonna be around a few more years. Adrian Wojnarowski said yesterday it will be at least 2025 before the NBA gets rid of it. Also it looks like the G league thing from this year may be temporary. It Looks like the NBA helped them to get some of the best prospects so that the kids could be playing basketball this year as the NBA is concerned there will not be at least a full college basketball season Coming up. They wanted to go ahead and get the best in the system so that they have a better chance of getting some games in as chances are higher G league plays games more than college basketball right now.

Man. One of these "it's the end of college sports" menaces has got to stick eventually! Sigh. On to the next one.